Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

What about Shane MacGowan as a guest at Hyde Park?
Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: July 3, 2013 11:50

That would be something, if there should be a guest at all.

Better than Adele, I´d like Shane on Lady Jane or HTW.

The problem with him in the past was him showing up or not. But Mick is used to behaviours like this...

Re: What about Shane MacGowan as a guest at Hyde Park?
Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: July 3, 2013 11:53

Lol that would be great, he and Keith have dental experiences in common.

PS: i bet Mick cannot sing "the rocky road to dublin".

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: July 3, 2013 12:08

Some live versions of "Factory Girl" seem to have a certain Irish flavour.

[ One small change lead to further corrections in a one-liner.]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-03 12:17 by Witness.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 3, 2013 12:11

Doubtful, unless he does a bit of rehab first. Mick J doesn't like alcoholics around him onstage any longer, as they're too unreliable. I believe one of the conditions for touring had to be that Ronnie had to clean up, and Keith had to show up for work sober as well. It has been revealed that Mick T had to do a term of rehab as well to tour with The Stones.

But Shane MacGowan? What's the Stones connection that would make him a guest? If you Google "shane macgowan rolling stones", you get nothing.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 3, 2013 12:27

What about no bluddy guests?

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: July 3, 2013 12:44

stonehearted
Doubtful, unless he does a bit of rehab first. Mick J doesn't like alcoholics around him onstage any longer, as they're too unreliable. I believe one of the conditions for touring had to be that Ronnie had to clean up, and Keith had to show up for work sober as well. It has been revealed that Mick T had to do a term of rehab as well to tour with The Stones.

But Shane MacGowan? What's the Stones connection that would make him a guest? If you Google "shane macgowan rolling stones", you get nothing.

More connections to Ronnie and Keith over the years than any of the bummers (mostly female) on the 50+counting tour. And this is since the 80s, the Stones respect him as a great writer and even singer. Don´t need no bloody Google shit for that!

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: July 3, 2013 13:03

The way the Pogues did "Honky Tonk Women", I'd say he's welcome a.n.y.t.i.m.e...

(click)
POGUES - Honky Tonk Women

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-03 15:01 by RoughJusticeOnYa.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: July 3, 2013 13:46

A fantastic idea, but very unlikely to happen. Keith Richards once said he liked the Pogues. The Pogues and the Stones worked with Steve Lillywhite, and they worked with the late Kirsty MacColl.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: July 3, 2013 13:57

Glad to hear that Keith said he like the Pogues, because i like them too.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 3, 2013 15:01

laertisflash
Glad to hear that Keith said he like the Pogues, because i like them too.

I do, too, but then so do Tom Waits, Steve Earle, Bob Dylan, Johnny Depp, and Jim Jarmusch. I know that Richard Thompson doesn't like them, but then they can polarise opinions.

Kirsty MacCall was married to Steve Lillywhite for a while: they had two children together, and their divorce may have been the subject of Kirsty's Titanic Days.

The Pogues, albeit with Spider Stacey on vocals, covered Honky Tonk Women. Fairytale of New York was, in demo format, sung with Cait O'Riordan, Elvis Costello's second wife, but then she departed in 1986, and Shane decided to sing it with another vocalist.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: July 3, 2013 15:06

tomcasagranda

The Pogues, albeit with Spider Stacey on vocals, covered Honky Tonk Women.

...Oops! I never knew that.
So the reference in my original post (a couple above, here) is hereby 'in vain'...

(I did notice in the video that the leadsinger isn't Shane; but I thought that was because it's just a video - he probably didn't show up for the recordings, or something like that. I'd have sworn the leads on that one are Shane's!)

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 3, 2013 18:38

I can't think of a worse guest.
All we need is the same setup as Glastonbury, with MT and a cracking setlist. winking smiley

Date: July 3, 2013 18:42

Beast

Hear! Hear!

Posted by: Innersleeve ()
Date: July 3, 2013 20:28

Manofwealthandtaste
Beast

Hear! Hear!
Exactly. Why pay to see the Stones and have to put up with "guests" who are not fit to be on the same stage.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: July 3, 2013 20:35

How about no guests?

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 3, 2013 21:21

For the love of God, NO.

Why take away from a concert by a band that is heading in all the right directions by adding a guest that is continually heading in the wrong directions.

Sorry, NO.
In my humble opinion...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 3, 2013 23:07

We once where billed on the same festival, and we had 'lunch' with Shane...we were all flabbergasted when he basically downed a bottle of wodka in 15 minutes, only to request another one just before he had to go on...He did a fantastic show!

Mathijs

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 3, 2013 23:18

RawIguanaCologne
stonehearted

More connections to Ronnie and Keith over the years than any of the bummers (mostly female) on the 50+counting tour. And this is since the 80s, the Stones respect him as a great writer and even singer. Don´t need no bloody Google shit for that!

The "connections to Ronnie and Keith"--whatever those might be--don't matter, because, since he doesn't play an instrument besides lead cigarette, he would be sharing vocal duties with Mick. So what are Shane's connections to Mick? Is Mick a fan? Does he want to duet with a toothless loaded drunk whose performances are dodgy half the time? Since Mick has already been in a band with a drunken crack addict to his right and a drunken junkie to his left, I would say no.

A great Irish vocalist who would be a better fit onstage with The Stones would be Van Morrison--and Van also likes the Pogues, by the way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-04 04:30 by stonehearted.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: July 4, 2013 04:14

Shane would be GREAT !!!!!!!

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: July 4, 2013 08:36

This would be Great, but Philip Chevron, the Pogues guitarist, is very ill, sadly ... I don't Think Shane will do any Gigs right now ...

www.pogues.com

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 4, 2013 08:57

Beast

thumbs up

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 5, 2013 01:12

and like Mick, Shane also sings a version of Long Black Veil:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2379
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home