Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rolling Stones Mobile
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 2, 2005 10:31

Does anyone know what the current status of the RS Mobile studio is? I was just listening to Zeppelin 4 CD and reading the liner notes and see that most of the songs were recorded on the Mobile. I believe Stu used to look after it?

Re: Rolling Stones Mobile
Posted by: The GR ()
Date: April 2, 2005 14:13

Wasn't it broken up after failing to be sold an action somewhere.

Wyman kept it for years but it is totally obselete now. It is a van with a console squeezed in the back.

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: April 2, 2005 21:05

Don't you love the sound of the records recorded with the mobile? It's a pitty it's gone. They should've kept it.

Posted by: Deidre ()
Date: April 3, 2005 13:32

This is a good topic - worthy of an article in BV's mag.

"History of RS Mobile".

Did it start life in South of France '71?

What albums were recorded on it?

I can think of Machine Head (Deep Purple) and parts of Long Player (Faces).

Others?

When last used?

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: April 3, 2005 13:41

Deidre! You're back! Let's talk Dirty Work.............

Date: April 3, 2005 17:08

No, Spotted Chump, let's talk Rolling Stones' Mobile, (see title of post).

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: April 3, 2005 17:58

I can remember Physical Graffiti being recorded on it, as well as Space Ritual Live by Hawkwind.

Date: April 3, 2005 18:04

Relax darling!

The first time the MRU was used: March/May 1970 (at Stargroves).

The last time the MRU was used (as far as I know of): 1988 (for An American in Paris).

I think Bill bought the car from the Stones (I'm not sure)

Lots of albums / songs got recorded with the MRU. E.G. the briljant physical graffiti (part) by Led Zeppelin. Stu on the song Boogie with Stu. Ron / Keith worked on The Rover with Zep. Their work (on the Rover) did not show up on the released song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-04-03 18:06 by Potted Shrimp.

Date: April 3, 2005 19:33

Ah, Mr Loganfield, and to think that you are a closet Hawkwind fan!

Chump, very interesting about K and R on Rover. (Woof woof).

And it's only just occurred to me - the Stones/Purple connection in Montreux. Presumably Stones doing tour rehearsals, (Montreux recordings), and conveniently on hand when Purple's fire hazard happened, (while recording Machine Head). Wonder if they all met up for a pint or 10? Photos?

Infact, are we to suspect Stones of Arson? "Some stupid with a flare gun" - sounds a bit like Keith. He would have enjoyed torching Frank's studio.

Stones thought: "Hey - they can make such a slick, cool sound. We'll have to polish up our production techniques for our next album". Even the word 'Head' occurs in the next Stones' album. What a give-away.

And what sort of van contained MRU?

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: April 3, 2005 20:55

Eddy, it was during my acid/headbanging period! In fact, they recorded the album at the Liverpool Stadium in December 1972 with the Stones Mobile parked just outside.

Nils Lofgren and Status Quo used it for live albums too.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 3, 2005 23:33

Stu even got a songwriting credit for Boogie With Stu, which is basically Ooh My Head by Ritchie Valens (Mrs. Valens is also credited)! I wonder if he got partial credits for the Stones Nanker Phelge songs?

Date: April 4, 2005 11:05

Deidre Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> And what sort of van contained MRU?

Bedford

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: April 4, 2005 14:29

As far as I know the mobile was constructed for recording in 1971 due to ever increasing studio costs and mobility. After the Stones recorded Exile OMS it was lend to other bands such as Led Zep or even Dire Straits who recorded their live album with it.
But dunno what happened to the vehicle...

Date: April 4, 2005 17:26

Meise Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As far as I know the mobile was constructed for
> recording in 1971 due to ever increasing studio
> costs and mobility.

Not true. Recording with the MRU started in 1970.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: April 5, 2005 07:52

Wasnt The Who live at leeds recorded on the mobile also?

Date: April 5, 2005 10:28

Hmm, don't know. The inlay of my copy sais: recorded on 14 feb. 1970 with the Pye Mobile. Maybe 'Pye'and 'MRU' are the same truck?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 5, 2005 10:43

And what sort of van contained MRU?

The recording unit is mounted on a BMC (British Leyland Laird )

The Rolling Stones had the option of mounting the recording unit on a Mercedes for 5000 pounds or a BMC for 2000 pounds. They went for the BMC because they thought the truck would only do about 10,000 miles but it ended up travelling over 100,000 miles.

The studio itself was specifically designed on the systemused at Olympic. It had a Helios console. These were highly regarded because the electronics were simple, and everyone loved the clean sound that came from tghe desk. The monitors were four whopping Tannoy speakers, each about four and a half foot tall, situated in the very narrow width of the truck. Nowadays only two tend to be used unless it's for Dolby Stereo. The console had only twenty channels as opposed to more than 100 used now for top level live recording. A special type of tape-recorder, a Unitrack, was being built and had been sold to the Stones, but it never appeared and so they put in a 3M machine instead. The sixteen-track machine was used for Exile, along with an eight track Ampex. this was later upgraded to a dual 24-track system.

Information taken from Mick McKenna - Exile by Dominique Tarle.

ROCKMAN

Date: April 5, 2005 10:48

Found on the net that the MRU was still in use in 1999. Hired by Chrome Locust (who?????), to record an album.

Think I once saw the MRU on a pic stuck in a small garden path. Always thought it said Bedford, but I'm obviously wrong.

Bob Marley's "Live" album was also recorded with the MRU.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: April 5, 2005 11:43

If it was still being used as late as 1999, does anyone know if the electronics were ripped out and replaced in the 30 years of use. I mean, by 1999 things had changed alot compared to 1970 in the electronics world with the onset of miniturisation etc.

That said, I know that certain bands nowadays hanker after the old analogue equipment (were talking White Stripes etc) so maybe there was a market.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2035
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home