Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds at Glastonbury
Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 18, 2013 09:52

Just revisited this posting after a couple of weeks away abroad and once again thanks for all the info.

Cant stop watching the glasto - concert and going to check these albums out.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 18, 2013 11:01

Enjoy! That Glastonbury set is stupendous. I love how he kicks at the security guys the first time he goes down to the crowd. The woman who opened for him here (Seattle, her name is eluding me) said Nick is the most punk rock gentleman ever. Seemingly contradictory terms but it fits. The sequence with the girl in white is so perfect. The band is smokin' now but wish you could've seen them when Blixa Bargeld was still in the band. Total anarchy. Check out this vid from Murder Ballads:

Date: July 18, 2013 12:04

The part with the girl in the white is so perfect, it makes you wonder if its been stage managed, because its so good.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: July 20, 2013 22:32

nashville wrote: "Ed Kuepper is someone people on this board should really check out"

Agree! Starting from the Saints years (middle 70s)...

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: July 20, 2013 23:28

Nick Cave is a great performer, have seen a lot of Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds shows over the years and the Grinderman concert reminded me somehow of The Birthday-Party! My next Cave concert will be in november Amsterdam.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: July 20, 2013 23:46

I like the early stuff more, - in recent years he plays too many piano ballads for my taste - but the early violent punk stuff of his band The Birthday Party was awesome !!!

He's right up there with Lennon, Dylan, Cohen and Jagger/Richards as the greatest song writer of our time. Legend.

But people seem to like his radio friendly recent years - when in fact his early stuff was much more groundbreaking and experimental.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 21, 2013 00:11

saw him first in the early nineties at the time of tender prey and henry's dream, even talked to him briefly after the first show, yes a truly gentle punkman winking smiley

the firstborn is dead is my favourite, it goes back to some roots he obviously share with the stones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-21 00:15 by maumau.

Date: July 21, 2013 00:55

Date: July 21, 2013 10:57

Nick Cave in a recent German interview;

My former band The Birthday Party, and later the Bad Seeds were enormously influenced by the Berlin underground scene. With Einstürzende Neubauten I was a close friend. No one else has so radically unorthodox and recorded music as the band Einstürzende Neubauten. They were extremely important to me.

Blixa Bargeld from Einsturzende Neubauten played with Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
from 1983-2003 as guitarist and backing vocalist.

Date: July 21, 2013 12:12

runaway
Nick Cave is a great performer, have seen a lot of Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds shows over the years and the Grinderman concert reminded me somehow of The Birthday-Party! My next Cave concert will be in november Amsterdam.
Nick Cave in Amsterdam. Wow. Could be volatile.winking smiley

Date: July 21, 2013 13:55

odean73
crholmstrom
odean73
I must admit its the first time i have seen anything of him.

He looks a complete nutter, but enjoyed watching him.

What cds would anybody recommend.

Best of might be a good place to start. If you want to go deeper, these 5, in no particular order:
The Good Son
Let Love In
Murder Ballads
Push the Sky Away
Live Seeds
Both Grinderman cds are excellent too! Enjoy your journey.smileys with beer

Thanks for all the info.thumbs up

For the early punk era Nick Cave - THE BIRTHDAY PARTY - "Hits" CD
The best of compilation "Hits" contains all the classic Birthday Party tracks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-21 13:56 by seitan.

Date: July 21, 2013 14:56

seitan
odean73
crholmstrom
odean73

Best of might be a good place to start. If you want to go deeper, these 5, in no particular order:
The Good Son
Let Love In
Murder Ballads
Push the Sky Away
Live Seeds

Release the bats!hot smiley

Date: July 21, 2013 16:09

crholmstrom
runaway
Nick Cave in Amsterdam. Wow. Could be volatile.winking smiley

Some of the Nick Cave & Bad Seeds concerts in the Paradiso in the past were pretty cool.
cheers

Date: July 22, 2013 12:33

seitan
odean73
crholmstrom
odean73

The Good Son
Let Love In
Murder Ballads
Push the Sky Away
Live Seeds

Thanks, will check it out.thumbs up

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: July 22, 2013 13:40

For me, Cave has never released a definitive studio album, either with the Birthday Party or the Bad Seeds. I know that comes across as being a bit music snobby, but they've never managed to capture the raw, exfoliating intensity of the live shows in the studio. Of course almost all of Cave's albums are brilliant, but the live shows are on a different level entirely.

I'd suggest getting the Birthday Party Peel Sessions - this is close to their live sound and benefits from a really taught, gnarly production. Absolutely terrifying guitar from Rowland. S. Howard and throbbing, pumping basslines from Tracey Pew, both now sadly departed.

Out of all the Bad Seeds offshoots and solo releases, both of Rowland S. Howard's rank amongst the very best - Pop Crimes and the brilliantly titled Teenage Snuff Film.

Out of the Bad Seeds releases, my recommendation is for the three disc B-Sides and rarities set - again I know this sounds elitist, but it's the broadest and most exciting collection of the Bad Seed's work that you can buy and features some tracks that easily should have been on the regular albums - the B-Sides from the Boatman's Call album are amongst his best work.

Enjoy discovering Nick Cave. He's the most important and exhilarating artist of our time with an extraordinarily rich catalogue to discover.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: July 22, 2013 13:46

Now that's how you do audience participation.

Date: July 22, 2013 14:00

WorriedAboutYou
For me, Cave has never released a definitive studio album, either with the Birthday Party or the Bad Seeds. I know that comes across as being a bit music snobby, but they've never managed to capture the raw, exfoliating intensity of the live shows in the studio. Of course almost all of Cave's albums are brilliant, but the live shows are on a different level entirely.

I'd suggest getting the Birthday Party Peel Sessions - this is close to their live sound and benefits from a really taught, gnarly production. Absolutely terrifying guitar from Rowland. S. Howard and throbbing, pumping basslines from Tracey Pew, both now sadly departed.

Out of all the Bad Seeds offshoots and solo releases, both of Rowland S. Howard's rank amongst the very best - Pop Crimes and the brilliantly titled Teenage Snuff Film.

Out of the Bad Seeds releases, my recommendation is for the three disc B-Sides and rarities set - again I know this sounds elitist, but it's the broadest and most exciting collection of the Bad Seed's work that you can buy and features some tracks that easily should have been on the regular albums - the B-Sides from the Boatman's Call album are amongst his best work.

Enjoy discovering Nick Cave. He's the most important and exhilarating artist of our time with an extraordinarily rich catalogue to discover.

I agree !!!

And yeah, - Rowland S. Howard was amazing.

Most people have discovered Cave's music in more recent years, with these beautiful ballads and radio friendly pop songs but I find that rather disapointing.

Considering the fact that Nick Cave has done some of the most aggressive experimental rock n roll ever - I know that mainstream music taste is really conservative, but Nick's wildest stuff came from his experimental Birthday Party era.

BP was much more groundbreaking and unique than anything he has done with the Bad Seeds since.

Date: July 22, 2013 14:01

WorriedAboutYou

You are correct about B Sides. I've been hardcore since seeing the Bad Seeds @ Lollapalooza. We walked out on headliner Smashing Pumpkins. They just paled too much in comparison.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2391
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home