Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Real life encounter with any celebrity (no Stones).
Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: March 31, 2005 17:36

Since I've not had the pleasure of meeting a Rolling Stone in any way,

I thought I might bore you with some other events.

I was with a cousin in Amsterdam several years ago and were drinking at a bar. Can't remember what bar it was, but I think it wasn't that expensive at all (not my style winking smiley). Somewhere in the Leidseplein area.

Anyway, when we walked out at closing time someone looking into the bar said to us: "hey, how was it hanging out with Noel Gallagher?"

Well, noone told us!....

Same thing happened with my neighbour when he visited London in the seventies. He sat next to Dudley Moore and didn't recognise him. (Does anyone remember him at all?)

At the hotel where I worked as a student we often had local Dutch celebrities who came to sing to the old people that the place was often packed with. So there I met (oh joy) members of the schnabbelcirquit like Benny Neyman, Ronnie Tober, Imca Marina, the Brandend Zand woman, and last but not least Jaques Herb. Due to confidential matters it's not considered appropriate to share with you the behaviour of some of them when drunk, which is a pity.

For those unfamiliar with our local heroes, you can consider yourself very lucky not having to listen to Rozen Voor f*cking Sandra every week, like I did.

Anyone met a real celebrity? Share your experiences!

Re: OT: Real life encounter with any celebrity (no Stones).
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 31, 2005 17:45

Bumped into Vincent Furnier AKA Alice Cooper one sunny morning in my godforsaken spot of a town. He had his fdaughter with him, shoping, sightseeing.

In this town less than 26 000 people live, so it was quite unexpected: the most exhausting that goes on here is when some hillbilly have nicked petrol from someones´ car (once a month or even more rare...)...

Note: It was no hallucination, the man played a neighbouring city, bigger, next night or so - his trevel in the county was confirmed in papers. And he has a characteristic look though.

I met ALO in November; but that´s rather a subject for the other thread, he sure aint a genuine 'no(n)-Stone'

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: March 31, 2005 17:56

How can anyone not remember Dudley Moore? He was one of the greatest comedy geniuses ever (as part of Pete & Dud or Derek and Clive).

I think Mick turned up to the premier of the Derek and CLive film Get The Horn.

For those who haven't seen it, one review of the films puts it as...

"The film is by and large a torrent of swearing, drunken verbal abuse,and generally obnoxious behaviour documented for public consumption.If you are a christian, a woman or a person of high moral value look away now. In an age of political correctness this film is a huge tonic if you don`t take it seriously."

Great.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 31, 2005 18:45

Ran into (almost literally) actor Mike Farrell (M*A*S*H*) in Dingle, Ireland last summer - followed up with an email. Nice guy (but terrible actor!).

My biggest claim to celebrity encounter fame, though - I spent 20 minutes on the first of this year hanging out with Phil & Jill Lesh at their house in Marin. My 17 year old daughter has stayed overnight there a few times - she's good friends with a friend of the family. It was quite strange for my wife and I to just chat 2-on-2 with a celebrity couple about such mundane things as tsunami's and college applications....seemed like a very likeable dude. He even took my daughter down to the grocery store in his mini-van 'cos there "was nothing to eat in the house."

Posted by: mark ()
Date: March 31, 2005 19:58

Ron Glass (Barnie Miller show) - brother co-staring in a play with him sat me down to talk to him.

Brian Dennehy (actor) - biggest dam man I ever met, coming out of a Denny's at 2 in the morning after a Stones show.

Talked with Richie Havens and David Lindley over CD signings.

Met one of the famous 'Chicago Seven" right hand men arrested and bannished from the US. Met him on the famous West Coast Trail and we walked togther for about 5 miles while he filled my head with (i'm going to use funny words to keep big brother away) civil shall we say upheaval, the benifits on making things go 'boom', do not let this man back into your country, he has no love lost for it.

This is small potatos but - my new girlfreind lives on an island, a local famous muscian named Rick Scott (ex DC cop, turned concencious objector, turned hippie musician, turned childrens performer) now lives there. He use to be in a trio called Pied Pumpkin, the purest 'hippie' band ever. Well he showed up an Island community event. I introduced myself and mentioned I had seen them in their favorite venue....well he just took off with great stories. I mentioned I had recently been on the bands web site to see what CD's I would need to fill out my collection......come on over he says, I have boxes.....always pushing my luck I asked if there might be any rare, unrealeased PP material a guy could get his hands on....again come on over.....I can hardly wait. And for the kids my daughter and freind were just as star struck as I was having seen him as a childrens performer....interesting experience two generations talking to the same performer about different careers.

Dianna Krall was a runny nosed little kid down the street but that probably does not count. I would not have recocnized Pammala Anderson from home....I think she had something done...but I just can't put my finger on it.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: March 31, 2005 20:22

I once sat on a terras, somewhere late nineties and thought the woman and man next to me looked kind of familiar. Appeared to be the singer and drummer from Garbage (Shirley and Butch or something? He's the guy that also produced Nirvana's Nevermind). Weird experience. Nobody else recognized them, but there was no mistake.

edward

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: March 31, 2005 20:32

Limbo: Ronnie Tober rules so bad!!

Date: March 31, 2005 20:36

So does his husband.
Enough said. smiling smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 31, 2005 20:40

Limbostone Wrote:

> So there I met (oh joy) members of the
> schnabbelcirquit like Benny Neyman, Ronnie Tober,
> Imca Marina, the Brandend Zand woman,

That would be Anneke Gronloh

> and last but not least Jaques Herb.

His Manuela is a classic Dutch blues song.

- Koen.

Date: March 31, 2005 20:50

I don't think the words smartlap and blues are quite interchangable...
Or are they?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 31, 2005 22:19

Some smartlappen are really blues. A few chords, simple melody, and sung from the heart. Think about Hazes for instance. But Bauer probably not grinning smiley

- Koen.

Posted by: mark ()
Date: March 31, 2005 22:46

I knew I forgot a silly one.

Went to see the movie 'Cliffhanger" with my brother and wives. There was a group right behind us that started heckling every line, justly so.....it was a Stalone movie. They had the whole theater laughing, since the movie sucked it was welcome relief.....I turned around to see who was so clever and it was the entire Barenaked Ladies Band.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: March 31, 2005 23:19

Met Walt Disney. My grandfather was a friend of his and in management at Disneyland. We were eating dinner in one of the restaurants one evening, when he said to me, "Wait here". He walked over to a nearby table and it was Walt and his wife dining there. He then introduced me to him. I was 15 years old at the time.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 1, 2005 01:39

2 weeks after the farewell Ramones show, I was at the Viper Room to see Wayne Kramer and a friend's band. I see Johnny Ramone go walking by. I say to my friend, "I think I just saw Johnny Ramone." We find him at a table. He signs autographs for us. We tell him we were at the last show, he starts asking us what our favorite and least favorite parts of the show were. My friend asks him his favorite movie (Bride Of Frankenstein) and the last good movie he saw (Raiders Of The Lost Ark) then we thanked him and went back to our spots.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 1, 2005 03:46

I met and got photographed with Muhammad Ali - the one celebrity who I genuinely would regard as the closest thing to a personal 'hero', although its a term I generally despise.

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: April 1, 2005 04:19

In NYC sooner or later you'll run into some famous people. I used to tend bar in Hells' Kitchen, we were low key (no press..stars could relax) here is a list of some of the people I have met from the bar

1-Kim Basinger
2-Bruce Springsteen
3-Mike Myers (many of the Saturday Night Live Cast hung out all the time)
4-Ray Davies
5-George Wendt (Norm from Cheers)
6-Matt Dillon (we actually became friends due to a mutual love of The
Replacements and Hung out a lot. Normal guy)
7-Rob Lowe
8-Madonna (her eyes were incredible)
9-Lenny Kravitz
10-Patti Sclafia
11-Bruce Willis
12-Al Kooper (yes, the french horn guy)
13-Prince (tiny little man, but nice)
14-Jenna Jamesson (H-H-H-HOT)
15-John Heard
16-Matthew Brodrick
17-Helen Hunt
18-Jennifer Grey
19-Norman Mailer (drunken, obnoxious blowhard)
20-Bryan Doyle Murray
21-Just About The Whole cast of Law and Order
22-Joe Landau
23-Brooke Shields-literally walked into her chest (or lack thereof..a lot taller
than 6 feet, I am 5'11. Very Pretty)

After the bar:
1-Marissa Tomei (sexy hot...autograph)
2-Ashley Judd...same time as Marissa, they were shooting some movie in Brooklyn
(Ashley was instint erection hot)
3-Junior Cirrico (Pauly Walnuts from the Sopranos)1989,he just got out of jail
4-James Gandolfini (Tony Soprano) Nice guy, autograph and picture thanks to
cell phone technology)
5-Ric Ocasek, cool guy....TALL
6-Paulina Poritzgova...one time super model

Almost, but not......In 1988 showed up at a low key (no press) bar in Manhattan about 30 minutes after KR and RW had left !!! JUST MISSED THEM. They were apparently very funny.

There were a lot of others but those are the ones I remember right now.

Milo, NYC
Tricks with fruit thats kinda cute

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: April 1, 2005 04:36

OMG this is a worse case scenario here with this thread. I worked for a few years in Hawaii at a resort town on the Big Island at a walk in clinic. I met a handful of famous people that way, but because of confidentiality I cannot give ANY names. They ranged in extremes. One TV personality was very nice, came to my house a few times, and we have written. Another, a fading Hollywood star, was a real ass and even demanded part of his entourage, the body gaurd, be in the exam room with him: what an ass!

I wish I knew how to offer myself as the MD for the Asian part of the Stones Tour. I mean I am familiar with the Pacific Asian area, the types and qualities of care, etc etc. LOL but no way I can even figure out how to make contact and do it for rooom and board.Hey Mick...FREE MEDICAL CARE...

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: April 1, 2005 04:53

in the early 70's tower records on sunset in hollywood had just opened...i was in there just before closing at midnight once...i was in line to pay for my purchases when out of the corner of my eye i noticed the girl next to me was the UGLIEST woman i had ever seen in my life...a few seconds went by when "bing" the light went on and i realized it was liza minneli...she looked like she had just run down from wherever she lived in the hills in a housecoat sans make-up to pick something uo there before closing...another time there i was next in line to davey jones...he was buying a bunch of broadway cast lp's...and yes oliver was one of them...a friend of mine was in wallich's music city in hollywood in 1968...he heard some wild sounding guitar coming from the try out rooms at the back of the store...after a few minutes he thought "wait a minute" and went to look...sure enough it was jimi trying out different pedals...my bud saw him play for a few minutes more than jimi pointed to four or five various items and walked out leaving a toadie to collect and pay for the items...we saw jeff beck tooling up and down in one of his hot rods on sunset blvd. as we were waiting in line to get into the roxy a few times...once driving home from west hollywood (around 3rd & la brea) at about 4 o'clock in the morning a long cool vintage roadster pulled up along side of me at a red light...cool tunes playing loudly (i think i was playing thelonious monk) i look over at the car and see herbie hancock looking my way and nodding his approval at me...great!!!!

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 1, 2005 07:48

Funny that T&A should mention Mike Farrell.
Back in my retail days when he would come in, he was a real horse's ass.
If you still have his e-mail address, you can tell him I said so.
However, his wife, Shelly Fabares (sp) [johnny angel, Coach, a few Elvis films]
is one of the nicest people on the planet.
George Kennedy was real nice. Very humble. Was honored that you knew any of his work
and liked itto talk about it. But most of the actors that came in were awful.
Alan Alda-"I'm Alan Alda and you're not." Jerk.
Eric Idle was the same way.
Henry Winkler, Michael richards, Alissa Milano (big rear end, they hide it on TV
or they did some work on her), Mickey Dolenz (too bad, I love the Monkees),
Jenny Jones (good Lord,) Chick Hearn (LA Lakers announcer, what a cheapskate),
Deforest Kelly from Star Trek was nice, James Doohan from Star Trek was always
hungover. Cybil Shephard (very cold, and very tall). I could go on and on
about the actors.
However, the musicians were always very nice.
Nicky Hopkins-one of the nicest people I've ever met.
John Fogerty-nice guy. Was taking flying lessons at the time.
We talked about Rickenbackers,
Dave Edmunds-real nice guy. Real skinny. Would talk about anything to do with music
or guitars.
Donovan- great guy. Very nice. Still looked quite young.
Graham Nash: Great guy. Would talk about the Hollies all the time.
Gene Simmons: a little distant, but friendly.
Peter Frampton: very small. Even gave me his phone number.
Slash: Nice guy, but reeked of booze. I didn't know one could be
that drunk at 10:00 in the morning.
David Cassidy: not very tall, either. He still looked like he was 25 years old!

Date: April 1, 2005 07:48

George Kennedy was real nice. Very humble. Was honored that you knew any of his work
Henry Winkler, Michael richards, Alissa Milano (big rear end, they hide it on TV
about the actors.
Dave Edmunds-real nice guy. Real skinny. Would talk about anything to do with music
or guitars.

Date: April 1, 2005 07:49

about the actors.
or guitars.

Date: April 1, 2005 18:32

I see ze famouse 'Mathijs' (ze ugly one from 'Flipping Switch'). He was at a meeting for peoples who are interested in moths and butterflies.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: April 1, 2005 21:14

In my case I had a passing encounter with Peter Buck. This was at the Fillmore in San Francisco in April 1995 when Pete Townshend played one of three solo gigs in the United States. Great show by the way! Anyway, I go into the loo to tend to natrue's business and who should I see standing next to me, schlong in hand, but the aformentioned Mr. Buck. I didn't feel that the loo was the best place to strike up a conversation so I let him be.

I also met Richard Thompson at Amoeba Records in San Francisco. A nice guy and a GREAT musician!

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 1, 2005 23:44

What a weird thread. When does someone become famous enough to be mentioned here?
I would just love to meet Milo Yammbag. At this point he IMO is a celeb himself!
I had sex with Paul Getty if anyone cares about that one...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 2, 2005 20:52

Hey Chelsea, I care... Do tell!!!!

Ran into Robert Downey Jr. once... He winked at me, I gave him the finger. I didn't recognize him until he laughed and walked away shaking his head. Ooops.

Date: April 3, 2005 01:40

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > I had sex with Paul Getty if anyone cares about
> that one...

not the old guy I hope!

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 3, 2005 02:30

No Gazza, the dude with one ear missing. He was kidnapped once and they cut off his ear to send to the family. Really gruesome stuff. He's a cool guy. And his sister Eileen was a very close friend of mine back then.

Date: April 3, 2005 05:38

ok..the grandson (actually I knew you didnt mean JP Getty I, actually I thought you meant JPG 2)

I remember that kidnapping well. Didnt the poor kid later end up a paraplegic or something?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 3, 2005 09:45

Didn't another one of the Getty boys disappear in New Guinea ? I remember reading an article in Rolling Stone back around the late seventies about the Getty family and all their tragedies.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: April 3, 2005 22:29

Gazza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Didnt the poor kid later end up a paraplegic or something?

Hope it didn't result from the sex.

Just kidding, dear Chelsea..

Karl

'Don’t forget, if you’re on your bike, wear white'

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2258
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home