Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Real life encounters with a Rolling Stone
Posted by: Pserchia ()
Date: March 31, 2005 03:34

While packing up belongings in preparation for a move, I came across an autograph I got from Charlie Watts, and my notes from the encounter.

I saw Charlie leaving a liquor store in Hollywood, just a block south of Hollywood Boulevard, on June 13, 1987. I think that his band may have been scheduled to perform that night at the nearby Hollywood Bowl. He was wearing tan trousers and a tan jacket, with white loafers. I said, "May I have your autograph?" Charlie nodded. While he was writing his name, I said, "I loved your album." "Which one?" he asked. "The orchestra one??" I replied, having forgotten the album's name. "Oh yeah," he said. "Thanks."

Anybody else have a story about an awkward encounter with a Rolling Stone?

Re: Real life encounters with a Rolling Stone
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 31, 2005 03:35

it was his only album under his name at the time! which one...yeah, right.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 31, 2005 07:35

Well, these aren't awkward, but...

Ronnie: Met Ronnie at a book signing out here in LA in the mid-80's.
He was great. Nice as can be. I got back in line twice.
I have a Mesa-Boogie amp, and I asked him aboutwhat settings he used on his.
Chuch happened to be there, so he directed me to him. I think he was
putting me on, 'cause when he told me about the settings Ronnie used
and I tried it at home on mine, it sounded like Van Halen, not Some Girls.

Mick Taylor: My band opened for Mick Taylor at the Palomino CLub. I think it was
in the early to mid '90's. I was so excited, I really don't remember
much about it other than he wanted to be anywhere but where he was.
We got the photo with him and everything, but he seemed like he really
didn't want to be there. I did notice he was wearing a corset-like clothing item to keep his gut in. Hey, it happens to the best of us.

Plus...
Ian McLagan: My band opend for him, too. I met him a bunch of times
back when he was living in LA. One of the nicest guys ever.
I bought him a beer, and we drank to Stu. He did say he wasn't paid very much,
and that Mick controls all the money. A very friendly guy.

NIcky Hopkins: When I worked retail, he used to come in my old work.
Nicest musician, next to Mac, I've ever met. Don't get me started on actors.
Always wanted to knowwhat I was up to musically. He always remembered my name, too,
which was a real thrill. Great guy. Very small and very frail, I noticed.

Posted by: MisterD ()
Date: March 31, 2005 09:11

Ran into Keith on the way to MSG to see the Grateful Dead in 1988. I, and the couple of freinds I was with were all decked out in Dead gear. Keith had one of his kids stratling his neck as he walked along with his wife. I blurted out, "keith, we're on our way to see Jerry." He laughed and said tell him I said hello.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 31, 2005 16:21

Pserchia: I'm moving too tomorrow (If anyone need my new address, throw an e-mail my way). I will loose internet by it. It sucks.

Anyway: I ran after Charlie's car when I was in Berlin on a study-travel in September 1998. I saw that it was him from my balcony at Hotel Seifert. I could see it through the opened roof hood (What's it called?? The hole in the car's roof). I ran out and catched up with the car. The car started driving again (red light) when I got up to it. I ran next to the window and waved in while running. He waved back, and then I stopped running.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: March 31, 2005 16:38

I have not met Jagger or Wyman. But the others.

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: March 31, 2005 17:10

Kent, you're still the man man.

I would NEVER run along someones car.

Unless the person in it would have stolen my cash.
Or if it was Elvis.

If I bumped into Keith I'd probably say "Excuse me sir, I'm not bumping into you because you're The Keith Richards, it can happen to anybody right. I'm not hoping for a smart remark or for being told off in a typical way. Please don't think that." winking smiley

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: March 31, 2005 19:27

Hi tomk, sounds like you live,or lived, in LA. Do you happen to know Jim Lacey Baker and his wife Dani? They were hanging out alot with Mick about the time you opened for him and he plays many gigs down your way. Just curious!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 31, 2005 19:28

Hey Limo, Give the Kent-man a break... I mean he was in his mid-teens while this ´appened. I think I, 41, could run after Keith...
But of course I wouldnt like him to see the running...

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: March 31, 2005 20:04

I met Charlie in Copenhagen Airport summer 1990 while waiting for a friend of mine....

Got his autopraph on "Another side of Steel Wheels" - the day after I saw him and the boys in Parken in Copenhagen - great concert......

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: March 31, 2005 20:22

Only "met" Bill Wyman. Nothing special... just at a book signing.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: March 31, 2005 20:24

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-03-31 20:25 by mr edward.

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: March 31, 2005 20:34

Of course I give him a break grinning smiley (and he'll know it.)

It's just me being lazy I guess. I wait for the papers...

Posted by: stone72 ()
Date: March 31, 2005 20:42

I met them all several times
I was 4 days at Keith place in Connecticut during BTB tour when they played at Giant Stadium.

Date: March 31, 2005 20:45

I was 4 days at Keith place in Connecticut during BTB tour when they played at Giant Stadium.

Date: March 31, 2005 20:45

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 31, 2005 21:03

Yeah, I know Limbo. Did you notice I gave you a new cool name: "limo"; by accident... But "Black Limo(usine)"... Do we have a vacant user name here...
I hope to make a scoop post here towards the fall/autumn...

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: March 31, 2005 22:37

I've never met the Stones.

A friend of my met Fred (Flint)stone and Dino dug a hole in his front garden (I had to edit this bit....)

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: BBstones ()
Date: April 1, 2005 00:45

I met Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie in Palm Beach Florida during the BtB tour.
A good friend of mine owns a video production co. and got the call that they were announcing the S. American leg of the tour from their hotel. He knew I was a big fan and asked if I wanted to tag along and help out with the cameras, lights, cables ect. Of course I said YES!!
We set up at 8am and it was interesting seeing what goes on. It was a big suite that had everything removed and then they brought in black and purple drapes that covered the whole room, a lepord print couch, plants and tables, very cool.
They were supposed to be there at 2pm but didnt show until 7:30.

First was Mick, he was launching somthing called Jagged Internet Works that would show live cricket matches over the internet. My job was to hold the cards that he read off of, it took 4 or 5 takes and was very funny. Then the guy from Chile came in and asked questions for about 10 minutes or so. Then the guy from MTV Brazil, Argentina and so on. About 5 or 6 in all for about an hour.

Then Keith, same type questions about how they felt coming to those countries.
One of them gave Keith a light blue and white soccer jersey with a Stones tongue on it and when the guy left he tossed it in the corner. Keith was drinking vodka and cranbarry juice and smoking the whole time. There was this young girl who kept coming in and getting him refills from the hospitality suite next door.
Just before he left I went to shake his hand and told him I was going to the show the next day at the Orange Bowl and he smiled and growled "were gonna rock baby"

Then Charlie and Ronnie together, same type questions as before. Charlie, sipping tea, was as polite as I expected and Ronnie, 16 ounce cans of Guiness, was cracking jokes the whole time.

Out in the hall way I saw Jane Rose and some of the others you see on 4 flicks documentry and 25X5. The hospitalty suite was loaded with food and booze but no Stones were there.

We cleared everything from the suite and the only thing left was that soccer jersey and my friend said "take it"

As a reward for my efforts I got to go backstage the next night.
Video games, pool tables, lots of food, Same stuff you see on the videos.

It was 2 days that I will cherish for ever.

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: April 1, 2005 11:19

Hell, I don't know if i would like to meet them at all. I'm a tall dutch guy, and I would probably feel awkward towering above these miniature giants. I imagine a conversation might go something like this:

Greg: "Hi Mick, great band!"
Mick: "Hi Greg, is it cold upstairs?"

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Date: April 1, 2005 11:37

It's called a sunroof, Kentish. Email me w/yer new addy, man!

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 1, 2005 16:24

I have only met one Stone. And that was not by design . I don;t thinbk I could get myself to stand outside an exit, and/or blow some security guards to get backstage LOL
I met Keith once in NYC in an elevator. It was right after the drug trial in Canada. I was a 13 year old Punk Rocker. In my obligatory " Hate the Stones" in public, but at home digging every album. I would listen to GHS wyhen no one was there. Could not WAIT for Some Girls to come out. Thing was with that album in my circles in NYC they became cool again.
Anyway I'm in this elevator and Keith gets on. He was real drunk and so was I. It was a hotel. I asked him for some money. For I was a broke Punk. He gave me FIFTY dollars. True story.
In Atlanta I met Ron Wood at one of his gallery openings. But I wouldn't count that one really. It was in the middle of nowhere. And it was FREEZING that night. Everyone was so bundled up that for all I know the person I was told was Ronnie could have been Liza Minelli.
I think today it might be almost boring to meet Jagger. Unless I was some dame. But on the street as a dude he would probably sign something and motivate on. Would love to sit with Charlie for a night. I think once he was lubed he would have a ot of stories to tell.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: April 2, 2005 02:57

Now Chelsea, you know Mick is alot more cordial and sociable than that! I met Mick twice, most recently in Montreal April 0f 1998 and he held my hand, flirted, really wanted to chat! As a matter of fact, his bodyguard Rowen had to drag him away! I had an enormous Union Jack flag for him,he took it from me, still holding my hand, all smiles and sweet as pie! I stayed at the hotel the band was staying at, the Omni( THe Weston Then) and we met in the bar/restaurant. Mick was having a late lunch with a male non-celeb friend and the doorman had tipped me off about Mick's whereabouts! He got a generous tip! I sat and waited about 45 minutes, chatting with Rowen who promised he'd allow me to give MIck the flag after he finished his lunch. I had a great chat with Rowen about the blues, the band, and the tour. As promised, Rowen introduced us telling Mick " this young lady has something for you!" Mick just loved that intro and jumped right on it! He said " You have, have you!" and grinned at his own little joke! I told him, " NOT THAT!" ( silly me to correct him) We got along famously! That night I was in the second row and I'd told him to look for me and HE DID! He saw me and danced over to me, flipped up his shirt, wiggled and smiled at me....I have the photo as proof.

Posted by: keefster ()
Date: April 2, 2005 06:11

I met Keith Richards on April 1st 2005 and he told me that he had the inside track to being the next pope.

(April Fools)

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 2, 2005 20:48

Debra: is Rowan that security guard he has now? Cause that guy is attractive.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: April 3, 2005 18:44

Giant whore, I heard Rowan had to quit the job with Mick because he injured his back. Rowan is a short, squat black guy about 35-40 years old and with big arms!!!! He was really nice, friendly and told me he was prepared to do whatever it takes to protect Mick; I was glad to hear that! What does the guard you're talking about look like?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 3, 2005 20:29

Shook hands with Keith and had a quick chat as he boarded a yacht in Stockholm '03.

Shared a British Airways flight with Charlie Watts from Amsterdam to London August '03.

Sat down the aisle from Ronnie Wood at a Bob Dylan concert in 1979.

Rubbed shoulders with Ronnie at his art reception in Las Vegas '02. I ended up buying a limited edition self-portrait print of his, and then he sent me a personalized autograph with his characature to my home address.

I screamed as loud as I could directly at Mick - 3 feet away- front row b-stage L.A Staples center.
He smiled at me and walked away to the other side of the stage.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: April 4, 2005 01:08

Met Keith and Ronnie.

Met Keith in NYC during one of his Xpensive Wino tours. Offered me and my girlfriend fruit or Vodka, which ever we pleased. Gave us an autograph on a pillow case. Lost it.

Met Ronnie in boston when he toured with Bo Diddley. He was nice, shook hands, gave me a guitar pick (which I lost that night), and left.

I still haven't washed

Keith of course is completely straight

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 4, 2005 01:40

LOST IT !!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 5, 2005 03:46

Debra: I guess that guy is someone else. The guy I find seriously attractive has blonde hair, real tall (6 foot something, rivals the giant girlfriend Mick has), English, I think... Have you met him? Cause I'd like to!!!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1398
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home