Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT AC/DC Family Jewels
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 30, 2005 21:27

Bought the double DVD yesterday and it's awesome. First disc is the Bon Scott era and second is Brian Johnson era. It's the first disc that makes it really worthwhile. I'm a huge AC/DC fan, but I'd never seen any of those videos previously. The live videos are really great. Riff Raff, which is the version off of the live If You Want Blood album is excellent. Filmed at the Glasgow(?) Apollo in 1978. I wish I could have seen the band before they were really huge and were still playing the small 2-3000 seat venues. Whole Lotta Rosie, FlingThing/Rocker are also live.
Fling Thing is a song that was on their 1992 live album but was called Bonny, the short instrumental just before Highway To Hell. I believe it's an old Scottish song called Loch Lomond or something to that effect.
Disc 2 is basically all regular videos except Those About To Rock is from a live concert video from Detroit 1983. It would have been nice to have some extras or bonus footage/commentaries but there aren't any.

Re: OT AC/DC Family Jewels
Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: March 30, 2005 21:32

I got this 2 days ago and it's AWESOME!

All we have on the DVD player at the moment is 'Family Jewels' - even the kids can't watch Thomas the Tank Engine because of this DVD!

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: R ()
Date: March 30, 2005 22:30

AC/DC opened their last tour in my town here in the states. They practiced with most of the full stage in a smaller, old arena here. I worked there at the time. It was quite a thrill to see them walk in, midafternoon, look at their new stage (as yet incomplete as the parts were still being shipped in) strap on their insturments and rip into "You, Shook Me All Night Long" and a half dozen others for 20 people.

Incidentally, Chuch Magee was their road manager too. He'd ended the AC/DC tour and went onto "Licks" where he subsequently dropped dead. These tours are a small world. Chuch had most of the same crew with the Stones.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 31, 2005 09:19

I love it!

Bon Scott is the king!!

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: March 31, 2005 10:26

DGA35 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wish I could have
> seen the band before they were really huge and
> were still playing the small 2-3000 seat venues.
>

Sometimes even the bigger gigs can suprise you, me & my girlfriend were standing at the back of the floor when AC/DC played Helsinki's Ice Hall in the early 90's. There was a peculiar stand with a large disc on top right next to us and I foolishly wondered why it was fenced off, until Angus climbed (well, he was lifted) on it during his solo in Let There Be Rock! Quite a sight from two or three meters, bloody knees and all.
Another memory from another gig: a guitar roadie tuning his SG with the strap slung over one shoulder, it was just long enough to allow the guitar to hang under the guy's armpit!

Posted by: roby ()
Date: March 31, 2005 15:12

Yes, awesome.

And 5 five guys on stage. Not a big band with Chuck...

Toronto 2003

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 31, 2005 15:18

DGA35 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fling Thing is a song that was on their 1992 live
> album but was called Bonny, the short instrumental
> just before Highway To Hell. I believe it's an
> old Scottish song called Loch Lomond or something
> to that effect.

in which case it's the same song that Keith sang at the Stones' 2nd show in Glasgow on 3.9.03!

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: April 1, 2005 12:19

Saw them in December 1980 in Southampton, about 3,000 people. It was okay but seeing them in 2003 with the Stones made me think their set list hadn't really moved on that much (although i would not critisise the Stones so much for this).

Date: April 1, 2005 23:02

What really amazes me about AC/DC is that Bon died on Feb 19, 1980. Within five months, they had buried their lead singer, found a replacement, went into studios, recorded a new album and were out on tour! One of their first shows with Brian was in Vancouver in late July of 1980. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend that show.

As far as their setlist goes, they're similar to what the Stones do. Majority of the songs are their greatest hits, along with a few new songs mixed in.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: April 2, 2005 14:10

I thought that most of The Back In Black work was already done when Bon died so Brians work was primarily vocal overdubs so three months is not that fast.

Date: April 2, 2005 22:38

I believe that they had started recording in studio but the majority was done after Bon had died. Brian wrote some awesome lyrics for that album. It's weird that on the more recent albums, he doesn't write at all, it's all Malcolm and Angus.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: April 3, 2005 23:00

well, I really dont like AC/DC. Its always the same Music.
I saw them in Oberhausen 2003---lets say the first 2 songs ok----and then 1 hour the same... Brian?---yes. But with geordie!!!!

Date: April 4, 2005 17:11

Just a great great rock'n roll band...

Keith love them, me too.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: April 4, 2005 18:07

Bought this 2DVD set this weekend. I've always been an AC/DC fan, but it really blew me up. Bon Scott was a truly great frontman, maybe second only to Jagger. Loved the "If you want blood, you've got it" video...

BTW, am I the only one here who thinks that Malcolm Young and drummer Phil Rudd are two of the most underrated musicians in rock? I always loved Phil's drumming: he's a sort of metronome, like Charlie, not the typical hard-rock flash drummer.

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Date: April 4, 2005 21:46

I always thought of Phil Rudd as being a more hard rock version of Charlie Watts. Malcolm is very under rated, although Angus is probably his biggest fan. I'm sure he'd be the first to say that AC/DC is Malcolm's band. I also think Cliff Williams is an under rated bass player, too.

Date: April 5, 2005 17:00

yeah, Malcolm is the brain

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1704
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home