Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
best/worst show of the North American tour (from those who were there)?
Posted by: lazzzybones ()
Date: June 25, 2013 06:50

I wasn't so go for it.

Re: best/worst show of the North American tour (from those who were there)?
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 25, 2013 06:53

I was at opening night. It was fair. It started out like the PPV with marching band and gorilla masks. Then, like the PPV, they meandered through the early 60s stuff. Gwen Stefani did not fit. Keith Urban was surprisingly good. It didn't really click until Midnight Rambler. The encore was the best, with the choir and a great Jumping Jack Flash.

Posted by: Fixembones ()
Date: June 25, 2013 06:56

Best-newark#1 & philly#2

Posted by: jasona93 ()
Date: June 25, 2013 07:19

I can only speak to Toronto #2, it was simply amazing. Sadly, no recordings have surfaced that I'm aware of.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 25, 2013 07:39

Best?
Brooklyn... The first.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: June 25, 2013 08:06

MisterDDDD
Best?
Brooklyn... The first.

Taylor wasn't even there.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: June 25, 2013 08:07

London 2, Newark 1, Philly 2.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: June 25, 2013 08:16

Since I only saw Oakland and San Jose I'll go with San Jose. Loved Fogerty aaaaand Bonnie Raitt!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 25, 2013 08:26

It didn't get any better than the 4-song rarities set early on in Boston 2, where they pulled out Memory Motel for the only time on the tour and When The Whip Comes Down. Suddenly you feel as if your in a time warp being at a vintage 1970s Stones show as they're playing All Down The Line, Memory Motel, and When The Whip Comes Down, and then Mick Taylor comes on later to add muscle to Midnight Rambler with those series of slow, loud guitar crunches in the middle and you're in Ya-ya land.

Hope you folks Down Under get some shows on another, further leg of the tour. Don't miss them if you get the opportunity to go!

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: June 25, 2013 08:39

Best Boston 2

Weakest Boston 1

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 25, 2013 09:03

I was at Philly 2 and from being there and what I hear, it sounds like it was a dynamite show. They just played excellently and it was an ON night. I'd say it has to be Top 5 definitely, probably even top 3.

Having said that. I feel whatever LA show had 4 Taylor songs has to be in the running for the best. I wasn't at that one, but remember the surprise and excitement when they just kept bringing Taylor out. That shock skyrocketed the show, as well as having a killer setlist. I have to imagine thats at Philly 2's level, or slightly above. In terms of surprises for this leg of the tour, thats the one.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: June 25, 2013 10:30

1st London show for the not knowing what wad coming next and the realisation that keith still had chops !

London 2 - all the above without the nerves And lady jane

Chicago 2 - Just a truly inspired performance. Better night for keith than any in last 10 years or more imho.

Scuk

Posted by: benstones ()
Date: June 25, 2013 10:46

I saw 5 shows in USA.

IMO, the best was Chicago 2 and then Newark 1.

Benjamin.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: June 25, 2013 15:57

I was at
Brooklyn
Newark 1
Oakland
San Jose
Las Vegas
Philly 2.

Philly 2/Newark 1 and San Jose stand out for me. All the concerts were great though. Something special in each one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-25 15:58 by MingSubu.

Date: June 25, 2013 15:58

stonehearted
It didn't get any better than the 4-song rarities set early on in Boston 2, where they pulled out Memory Motel for the only time on the tour and When The Whip Comes Down. Suddenly you feel as if your in a time warp being at a vintage 1970s Stones show as they're playing All Down The Line, Memory Motel, and When The Whip Comes Down, and then Mick Taylor comes on later to add muscle to Midnight Rambler with those series of slow, loud guitar crunches in the middle and you're in Ya-ya land.

Hope you folks Down Under get some shows on another, further leg of the tour. Don't miss them if you get the opportunity to go!

Agreed. 6/12 in Boston was hot and tasty but 6/14 to me was the Stones on a level I haven't seen then since the 90's. Turns out Memory Motel got it's one shot on that show. Well done.

Mike

Posted by: ChrisG ()
Date: June 25, 2013 17:03

I agree. All Down the line, Memory Motel and when the Whip comes down was enough for me. When I found myself dancing to whip I knew I wasd going to enjoy the concert.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 25, 2013 17:05

For me:

Philly #2
Newark #1
Newark #2
Philly #1

EDIT:
op, I would have titled this thread "Ranking The Shows of the North American Tour ..." Don't like using "worst" here, because I thought they were all good or excellent.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-25 18:24 by schillid.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: June 25, 2013 18:18

I was at Philly 1 & 2 & DC. I had the best seats in Philly 1. I enjoyed the Philly 2 show the most for atmosphere & set list. DC was also good but if I had to pick 1 its Philly 2

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 25, 2013 18:21

jazzbass
MisterDDDD
Best?
Brooklyn... The first.

Again... Brooklyn.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 25, 2013 18:36

Everyone who was at Philly 2 and any other show, including boston, agrees Philly 2 was a cut above all the others. Boston fans always think they get the best show, it's totally predictable, whether it's stones, bruce or whoever, but it's never true.

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: June 25, 2013 18:40

MidnightDevilRambler
stonehearted

Agreed. 6/12 in Boston was hot and tasty but 6/14 to me was the Stones on a level I haven't seen then since the 90's. Turns out Memory Motel got it's one shot on that show. Well done.

Mike

I agree about MM-only time I ever saw it played live- here it is in case people want to re-live it:

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 25, 2013 19:17

jasona93
I can only speak to Toronto #2, it was simply amazing. Sadly, no recordings have surfaced that I'm aware of.

There's a whole thread devoted to recordings for T2...I was also there BTW, great.

Date: June 25, 2013 19:24

Rokyfan
Everyone who was at Philly 2 and any other show, including boston, agrees Philly 2 was a cut above all the others. Boston fans always think they get the best show, it's totally predictable, whether it's stones, bruce or whoever, but it's never true.
LOL not that I agree or disagree with you, but that is pretty accurate. As a part time Boston native, that very much is the attitude. "I bet they didn't get this kind of stuff in New Yahk!" Boston does tend to get some excellent concerts, as it is a major city and artists recognize that, but living their for several years now its funny to hear people all the time say "Boston got the best show" even when thats far from the truth.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: June 25, 2013 19:29

I am biased, but Philly #2 was just the best. I never wanted it to stop - just a great great show. Flubs and all - Keith and Charlie were cracking each other up the entire night.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: June 25, 2013 19:29

Chicago 2! Magical M.R.!! Great show! Great crowd too where I was sitting

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: June 25, 2013 19:31

MisterDDDD
jazzbass
MisterDDDD
Best?
Brooklyn... The first.

Again... Brooklyn.

I was in Brooklyn too.. Why wasn't Taylor there?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 25, 2013 19:31

So far the general consensus is that the 2nd concert in a 2 concert tour stop got the much better show. Which goes against the set-in-stone setlist mentality of Mick J. And the ultimate show seems to be the 2nd LA gig where Taylor was on 4 songs. They promised more Mick T and they only delivered once, and that's the concert the fans point out as generally the best.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: June 25, 2013 19:42

On paper, Chicago 2 was the rare mix of an extra Taylor tune and special guest (although not sure how much the latter weighs in on the discussion).

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: June 25, 2013 19:45

Well, I don't know how ANYONE can say Boston #1 was one of the worst when we got MT on a killer SWAY with Lisa and Bernard harmonizing!! IT WAS AWESOME! The energy was high, 22 songs, a long set that cooked all the way through.
Boston #2 was through the roof as far as fan energy fueling the band to heights I've not seen since 1998. All Down the Line, man, it felt like 1972!! And of course the vocal and added Keith vocal on Memory Motel.....these days it really does not get much better! I think i t's a given that the band loves Boston in a special way!!winking smiley

Date: June 25, 2013 19:53

kovach
On paper, Chicago 2 was the rare mix of an extra Taylor tune and special guest (although not sure how much the latter weighs in on the discussion).
I just looked at Chicago 2 a few hours ago and also thought it looks quite strong on paper. Same setlist as Philly 2, with Knockin, and better deep cuts like Shine A Light instead of Under The Boardwalk and All Down The Line instead of When The Whip Comes Down. And this is coming from someone that was at Philly 2. Personal preference, but I'm a fan of those 2 songs more than what Philly got. On paper, I'd say Chicago just squeezes over Philly.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1519
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home