Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Chuck Leavell's Tour Diary
Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: June 22, 2013 17:44

I actually found some of it a little interesting - he's not going to say much about the Stones in the hotel etc and jeopardise his job. But he made the whole rigmarole of touring sound so boring - even at the highest level. But he's so straight he makes Matt Clifford sound like Nikki Sixx. Interesting reading though but not as entertaining as Ross Halfin's blog

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: June 22, 2013 18:00

>grinning smiley<
champ72
I actually found some of it a little interesting - he's not going to say much about the Stones in the hotel etc and jeopardise his job. But he made the whole rigmarole of touring sound so boring - even at the highest level. But he's so straight he makes Matt Clifford sound like Nikki Sixx. Interesting reading though but not as entertaining as Ross Halfin's blog

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 22, 2013 18:42

MisterDDDD
Coffee is for closers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-22 18:44 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 22, 2013 19:15

Awesome....Chuck is Ed Harris.....Hyundai driver...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 22, 2013 19:18

rollmops
mega
I think mr Chuck Leavell is one of the reasons the Stones are still on the road. Seriously: he would not have been asked back for such a long time now. I think some of the people here are being very offensive to the guy. Who really knows him? Be glad that somebody within the band is writing a diary. It give is some information. Stop reading it if you don't like the guy.

I don't get offended by the jokes on Chuck. Mr. Leavell looks so different from what you expect a rocker to be that it's inevitable that some of us are going to laugh about it. Chuck is talented musician but he doesn't seem to belong to the stones even after all those years playing and working hard for them. As long as the jokes are funny, I'll keep laughing, no disrespect Mr. Leavell.
Rock and roll,
Mops

So does Charlie Watts. He even behaves completely unlike one as well. 50 years married next year, too. Fire him.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: June 22, 2013 20:24

Chuck has a tough job. His function is to create continuity and uniformity for the Stones' live music. The core members are not trained musicians, so Chuck takes notes and is the person they look to in order to make sure they don't make more mistakes than they already do. They don't have the groove or musical memory they used to, so they need that.

I'm not sure Chuck is as responsible for the set lists as he claims to be, but he does take responsibility for it. If he does, at least he's trying to give a little variety. I doubt it's his call to feature the exact same songs for most of the set, or which songs those are. For the flexible part of the set, he claims to have brought in "Faraway Eyes," which is an interesting choice, and there are a few others that were less expected. I'm not sure he's the one who actually made the call to feature Mick Taylor on two extra songs in one of the LA shows, but give him credit if he did that, too.

As for the coffee and laundry thing, it's not that unusual for traveling performers, including pro athletes and actors in touring shows, to cut corners in order to bank whatever money they make while working. How often does Chuck tour with the Stones? He has to make and save money wherever he can. It makes him human, and he's letting people in on the fact that his job and his circumstances aren't any different than anyone else. It also points out that staying at places such as the Four Seasons isn't always better than staying at Best Western. At least Best Western includes a free coffee maker in the room and doesn't have the temptation of room service.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 22, 2013 20:24

rollmops
mega
I think mr Chuck Leavell is one of the reasons the Stones are still on the road. Seriously: he would not have been asked back for such a long time now. I think some of the people here are being very offensive to the guy. Who really knows him? Be glad that somebody within the band is writing a diary. It give is some information. Stop reading it if you don't like the guy.

I don't get offended by the jokes on Chuck. Mr. Leavell looks so different from what you expect a rocker to be that it's inevitable that some of us are going to laugh about it. Chuck is talented musician but he doesn't seem to belong to the stones even after all those years playing and working hard for them. As long as the jokes are funny, I'll keep laughing, no disrespect Mr. Leavell.
Rock and roll,
Mops

I don't care how he looks. I am not qualified musically to comment on his keyboard playing technically, but the arrangements he plays are terrible. His keyboard parts are for me 40% of what defines the "Vegas" era - flashy but without substance, simplistic, and downright schmaltzy. I think the ticket prices are terrible on this tour but I'd have paid more to have him not play. And it's got nothing to do with how he looks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-22 20:24 by sonomastone.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: June 26, 2013 16:03

crumbling_mice
The man is a complete joke. His keyboard work is the worst in the Stone's history and irrespective of what he looks like he just doesn't fit in in any way. Atleast Darryl has made attempts to play his bass in accordance with the Stones' style. Leavell manages to give classic songs a different feel...a cheesy vegas feel, not honky tonk, not boogie woogie not even basic English pub rock piano, just schmaltzy liberace rubbish. Having read his blog, I am agahst at the man. He takes his own coffee and machine on the road so he can pay less and have the brands he wants. Shame the Stones take him on the road, maybe if they left him behind we could have a brand of keyboard player who plays R&B as should be played.

I'm curious. A few people recently have bumped into various Stones at the airport, museums, etc. If you had the chance, would you actually have the temerity to say these things to Leavell's face or Wood or Richard's for that matter, complaining abut the keyboard player, or would you end up just being able to get out a "thanks for the shows" and then back away?

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: June 26, 2013 16:35

And here's why I ask. I spent last weekend out in the Palm Springs area of California. I've been a huge Marx Brothers fan for over 40 years. The son of Harpo Marx lives in Rancho Mirage and is an accomplished musician in his own right. He's in his 70's now and plays jazz piano in an Italian restaurant to keep busy and for his own enjoyment. He's also the keeper of the flame for all things Marx Brothers, especially his Dad. I've long wanted to meet and talk with him because he's very approachable and friendly.

I'm at the small restaurant, and while he played he encouraged people to come up and request a song, because likely, he said, he knew them all. For some reason, it took me some time to get the muster up to go up and request a song, which I was going to use as my ice breaker to talk to him. I did go up and request a song called Weep They Will, an obscure Sinatra song my wife and I used for our first dance at our wedding. He didn't know it. We laughed about that, and then he did play my other two requests though, Moonlight In Vermont and One For My Baby (One More For The Road). Because he didn't know the one song, that was the conversation starter. It took me several minutes to be able to mention his Dad, because I just blanked on anything other than "I really liked your Dad". By the end of the evening however, we had talked quite a bit and he gave me a copy of his book, which he signed for me without me having to ask. We also exchanged personal info and he introduced me to his wife and cousin.

My point in all of this is despite all the planning, anticipation and feelings cemented over the years, most of us get a little tongue tied when the chips are down, and that's just when we want to pay a compliment. Spewing negativity in such a situation would just be that much harder to do, and seem so, well, classless.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 26, 2013 18:16

i can not believe my own eyes about the stuff written in support of chuck leavell, and the stuff written negative against chuck . chuck is not a rolling stone , that i can read here with my own eyes that the rolling stones are not trained musicians . is such a joke to me .chuck plays a valuable roll in the band he is not JAGGER, RICHARDS , WATTS ,WOOD, OR MICK TAYLOR .!!!!!!!!

Date: June 26, 2013 18:19

TheGreek
i can not believe my own eyes about the stuff written in support of chuck leavell, and the stuff written negative against chuck . chuck is not a rolling stone , that i can read here with my own eyes that the rolling stones are not trained musicians . is such a joke to me .chuck plays a valuable roll in the band he is not JAGGER, RICHARDS , WATTS ,WOOD, OR MICK TAYLOR .!!!!!!!!

For the millionth time: How nice a guy he is, what "role" he plays in the band, etc. has nothing to do with the fact that many of us just think he's the wrong keyboard player for the Stones. Nice guy, great setlists, interesting diary, lovely beard. Crap piano sound.

Date: June 26, 2013 18:25

71Tele
TheGreek

For the millionth time: How nice a guy he is, what "role" he plays in the band, etc. has nothing to do with the fact that many of us just think he's the wrong keyboard player for the Stones. Nice guy, great setlists, interesting diary, lovely beard. Crap piano sound.
believe me , i am not jumping on the chuck bandwagon(check comments that i have made in the past)(i have to be careful about my comments in regards to chuck) .that is a fact ! i was commenting on the absurd comments that the glimmers cant function unless chuck waves the magic baton .

Date: June 26, 2013 18:27

TheGreek
71Tele
TheGreek

believe me , i am not jumping on the chuck bandwagon(check comments that i have made in the past)(i have to be careful about my comments in regards to chuck) .that is a fact ! i was commenting on the absurd comments that the glimmers cant function unless chuck waves the magic baton .

I know, sorry...Just that anytime someone criticises Chuck's keyboard playing, what's defended is not his playing, but a recitation of how "important" his role is in the band, being a diplomat, keeping setlists, etc. How dare we say we don't like his playing when it has been clearly established that he is a nice man?

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 26, 2013 18:30

TheGreek
71Tele
TheGreek

It's not that they CAN'T function without him, it's that they CHOOSE not to. Or at least one of them has chosen not to function without him.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: June 26, 2013 18:34

71Tele
TheGreek
71Tele
TheGreek

I know, sorry...Just that anytime someone criticises Chuck's keyboard playing, what's defended is not his playing, but a recitation of how "important" his role is in the band, being a diplomat, keeping setlists, etc. How dare we say we don't like his playing when it has been clearly established that he is a nice man?

well said. being nice is not enough to get on stage with the GRNRBITW.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: June 26, 2013 18:36

Stop the Chuck bashing. Please.

Date: June 26, 2013 18:38

71Tele
TheGreek
71Tele
TheGreek

you are preaching to the choir. it's like little league these days , all the kids get trophies .not just the WINNING team .you get what i am saying !someone made the comment above that the stones are not trained musicians ,but he is .what a load of crap .yeah all the gold and platinum albums and the grammys and every other accolade that i can not think of off the top of my head .someone in the know about this matter with chuck told me that he is important to the glimmers because he does the work that they do not want to be bothered with which is ok , but he did not write the songs now did he ? we know he did not .

Date: June 26, 2013 18:47

I wanna read the "Rockman Diaries", when is it coming out??

Date: June 26, 2013 19:29

Yes.....if I met him I would ask him why he feels the need to dominate a guitar band. In absolute seriousness.

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: June 26, 2013 20:06

The other day, I was wondering if the "Good to be anywhere" expression would belong to Chuck, how would people react here?

So, the man has got a personal travel blog with his wife. I think that's very nice. Seemingly he's also an activist for environment. I think that's cool, too.

You don't like his presence in the band? Well, the band couldn't care less about what you feel.

Date: June 26, 2013 20:14

Torres
The other day, I was wondering if the "Good to be anywhere" expression would belong to Chuck, how would people react here?

So, the man has got a personal travel blog with his wife. I think that's very nice. Seemingly he's also an activist for environment. I think that's cool, too.

You don't like his presence in the band? Well, the band couldn't care less about what you feel.

Likewise, it's all about music to me......He's an activist? How thoughtful, he blogs about he and his wife? How sweet. Now what does any of that have to do with music. I like coffee too, am I more interesting now?

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: June 26, 2013 20:21

Thrylan
Torres

Likewise, it's all about music to me......He's an activist? How thoughtful, he blogs about he and his wife? How sweet. Now what does any of that have to do with music. I like coffee too, am I more interesting now?

From what I've seen from the blog, it doesn't say it is a music blog. It is what it is.

And you're far more interesting now. If you happen to be in Porto one day, I'll buy you a coffee. Next to the italians, we have the best espresso in the World smiling smiley

Date: June 26, 2013 20:27

Torres
Thrylan
Torres

From what I've seen from the blog, it doesn't say it is a music blog. It is what it is.

And you're far more interesting now. If you happen to be in Porto one day, I'll buy you a coffee. Next to the italians, we have the best espresso in the World smiling smiley

Now that I can truly appreciate! Hope I get there. America is coffee dependent on the world. I like strong coffee, black, and Guinness Stout.....I like to taste what I'm drinking!

I'm sure Chuck's a great guy, but I wish he had a lesser role. cool smiley

Date: June 26, 2013 20:43

Torres

well, keith says that when he has his own set. if that were true of chuck, i assure you we would object to him having his own set, not what he says before playing it.

i've been to portugal and can attest the coffee is great :-)

Date: June 26, 2013 23:31

Torres
Thrylan
Torres

Just was in Porto, Torres, and with all due respect I think Seattle's espresso is better. But Porto's port is better than Seattle's espresso...or something.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1805
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home