Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Worse tour since early 70's ??
Posted by: s083874 ()
Date: June 18, 2013 23:38

Best tours

The rest were snoozers. Or they were too hammered to remember what songs they were playing.

They need to turn off their egos and play an unplugged acoustic pay for view to see how good they really still are. Do it in England. Mistakes and all. Have MT and BW sit in on the whole session. And rehearse for a month beforehand. Like Keith said more than once "once a Rolling Stone always a Rolling Stone". Start off with Factory Girl. Three acoustics would be great on that song.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: June 19, 2013 00:15

ABB without a doubt. After his accident Keith was often a mess. Some of the performances were truly depressing to see,especially in '07.

I'm so glad they made it back and didn't go out like that. The vibe on this tour is amazing.

sc uk

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 19, 2013 00:22

rollingon
Also one thing worth mentioning here is the overall feeling of the whole band's stage presence and playing, in the 70s they still had a serious and genuinely aggressive attitude in playing and performing, they were still "dangerous", Keith Richards almost never smiled on stage...Also Jagger was much more serious. In 81/82 they still were quite aggressive on stage but they did have a little lighter attitude. But from -89 they clearly were not anymore so serious, even Keith started smiling on stage, he was not anymore a young outlaw guitar player, so the overall feeling changed to something else (and for the first the nostalgy aspect really came up) , it has been more like entertainment (very good entertainment though) ever since, not a serious thing. When I listen to live recordings or watch videos from the 70s I really miss that serious and aggressive attitude. Also this serious attitude I miss in their studio recordings from -89 till today. But they are not young anymore, they have grandchildren, and they have a different perspective to life in general nowadays, people change, they can't stay the same for ever. Maybe it would be a little ridiculous it they tried to be like young rebellious rock stars at the age of 70.

They were doing mountains of coke in the 70s. People always act overly serious on coke. There is no lightness.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 19, 2013 01:07

typical idiot thread on iorr-

the stones have never done a bad tour.they may have had off nights like any band will but to say "that tour sucked" or this one was "worse" is just a bunch of jerkoffs watching grainy videos and listening to bootlegs and pretending they know what the band sounded like live years ago. i saw shows on the 75,78 and 81 tours and they were a great live band back then.

when you say an entire tour with 30 or 40 shows wasnt good it just shows a certain cluelessness,you dont know anything about the stones or live rock and roll.

i cant imagine a thread on one of U2s fansites where everyone gets together and talks about which tour sucked.i think its safe to say that this is more of a "classic rock" site than a stones sight at this point.

there should be a rule before you post you should have to admit"i'm a beatle freak but...or "i'm really into black sabbath more but my opinion on the stones is".... because the lack of knowledge about the rolling stones and their history here is stunning.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 19, 2013 05:07

Tonyz
From someone who didn't seen them live until last month... what was so bad about the A Bigger Bang Tour?

Are you sitting down, Tony...
[m.youtube.com]

[m.youtube.com]

[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 19, 2013 05:25

andrewt
Tonyz
From someone who didn't seen them live until last month... what was so bad about the A Bigger Bang Tour?

Are you sitting down, Tony...
[m.youtube.com]

[m.youtube.com]

[m.youtube.com]

Clever editing made the Biggest Bang video set look....mediocre.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: June 19, 2013 05:42

I was blasted at shows in 97 and 99. While I had fun, I can't comment on how good the band was.

The show I saw in October of 2002 in Detroit was mediocre at best. I haven't seen them since.

I enjoyed the Voodoo Lounge tour the most. I liked the set lists for the 4 shows I went to, and the performance was very good.

Steel wheels shows were pretty good too.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 19, 2013 05:45

Lem Motlow, you made some good points in that post.

Numerous people posting here really don't know what they're talking about...lotta jealousy and envy too.

I've seen the Stones many times in the US and UK...Always a great show...even when Jagger and Watts were having to carry the guitar players.

Date: June 19, 2013 06:20

I don't want to lose touch with reality......every show isn't great, and all tours aren't equal. When you are the GRNRBITW, and you charge roughly double what others in your league do, you don't get free passes. Furthermore, how much jogging Mick can do, and misread the teleprompter, and shout out monosyllabic grunts does little for me. Strap a hunk of wood like a Tele around your neck for 2 1/2 hrs.....that's work. I only hate on noncritical thinkers.....all is never equal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-19 07:35 by Thrylan.

Date: June 19, 2013 07:22

What was that tour where Mick was running around in football pants? Or was that just for one show?

Date: June 19, 2013 07:35

JumpinJackOLantern
What was that tour where Mick was running around in football pants? Or was that just for one show?

Two....... Look, I'm hard on cheerleaders....I mean singers. I think the people that play instruments have a tougher task.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 19, 2013 07:41

The title of this thread assumes that the tours since the early 70s have been bad, but that somehow one stands out as the worst....

I just saw a great show last week, so I don't know what the TS is on about.

Date: June 19, 2013 07:45

stonehearted
The title of this thread assumes that the tours since the early 70s have been bad, but that somehow one stands out as the worst....

I just saw a great show last week, so I don't know what the TS is on about.

Yes, the title is poorly worded. Too many people tend to believe the entire 50+ career revolves around a nice 5 year period that ran its natural course. There were great things before and after MT for sure.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 19, 2013 07:47

JumpinJackOLantern
that was 81 and it was for a lot of the stadium shows

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: June 20, 2013 01:21

Totally disagree, HOTSTUFF. I think Mick's voice is still very strong, not forced or put on at all...it flows naturally. Listen to " Memory Notel" from Boston on Friday night...just SUPERB vocal! Once in awhile he pronounces a word in an affected way, but that is unusual. It amazes me that he can still run around, sing, and direct the band and not miss a beat. Even the fast songs like " All Down The Line" are amazing...and if you play the '72 version next to the 2013 version, I'm guessing that the current version is even better than the one over 41 years ago.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: June 20, 2013 01:45

Delta
They were great at Dodger Stadium 2006. Bonnie Raitt opened so the the two guitar players HAD to be on their toes. Best Midnight Rambler, ever.

Definitely a great show!

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: June 20, 2013 01:46

The worst tours were the ones they never did.

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: June 20, 2013 01:53

Undercover Of Dirty Nights

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1464
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home