Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: The Replacements Are Back!
Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 14, 2013 01:18

Love all his stuff. This is a nice tune (I think):

With Michael Bland (who also played with Prince):

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-14 01:26 by bleedingman.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: June 14, 2013 01:29

Zzzzzzzzzz

Date: June 14, 2013 01:35

GOO
Zzzzzzzzzz

Delicate yet succinct! I may not agree but I respect your right to nod out on my posts. On with the show...

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: June 14, 2013 01:45

71Tele
TeddyB1018
Mono the album rules. It's the best Keith inspired album since Talk is Cheap, and it has better lyrics.

Sure is, Teddy. Here's a little open-G sample:

Love that one, Tele, and Eyes Like Sparks is better than Sparks Will Fly. My favorite though is AAA. Even though it's not a ballad it's the Locked Away of the album for me.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: June 14, 2013 01:55

Hahaha I did say I liked skyway!!......ode to the twin cities

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 14, 2013 03:17

Our IORR buddy "from4tillate"s tribute to the band...

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: June 14, 2013 07:00

GOO
Total Keith rip off, about as original as the monkees

I can't help myself, I have to ask: how much of their stuff have you actually listened to?

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 14, 2013 10:37

I heard on the radio yesterday AM it was all the original members.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 14, 2013 11:00

I saw them a bunch of times, including once with Bob Stinson (who burned the setlist about five songs in). When they were relatively sober and felt like being it, they were as good as any band in the world at the time. But booze made them erratic. Sets ranged from shambolic covers cut off midsong to Westerberg's big rock anthems.

Warners had them do a summer shed tour in 1989 warming up for Petty and the Heartbreakers. The experience really soured them and contributed to their demise, along with Westerberg's unwillingness to play Mars' songs. At the time, Westerberg said something along the lines of Mars wants his job, but he doesn't want Mars'.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 14, 2013 11:39

ab
I saw them a bunch of times, including once with Bob Stinson (who burned the setlist about five songs in). When they were relatively sober and felt like being it, they were as good as any band in the world at the time. But booze made them erratic. Sets ranged from shambolic covers cut off midsong to Westerberg's big rock anthems.

Warners had them do a summer shed tour in 1989 warming up for Petty and the Heartbreakers. The experience really soured them and contributed to their demise, along with Westerberg's unwillingness to play Mars' songs. At the time, Westerberg said something along the lines of Mars wants his job, but he doesn't want Mars'.

They were brilliant on the Petty tour, which yielded an excellent soundboard bootleg called "Shit, Shower, and Shave", in which they mention the Stones playing in the same town that night and then do a raucus version of "Around and Around". Here's one from that boot:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-14 11:42 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Goldsmith ()
Date: June 14, 2013 18:22

I'm listening to "Shit, Shower and Shave" right now. Paul introduces "Around and Around" with "The Rolling Stones are playing Philadelphia tonight but we're better...so @#$%& 'em!"

I think this was recorded the night the Stones began the Steel Wheels tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-14 18:26 by Goldsmith.

Date: June 14, 2013 18:24

shattered
I heard on the radio yesterday AM it was all the original members.

That would present a few logistical problems in that Bob Stinson has been dead since February of 1995...

Date: June 14, 2013 18:26

Goldsmith
I'm listening to "Shit, Shower and Shave" right now. Paul introduces "Around and Around" with "The Rolling Stones are playing Philadelphia tonight but we're better...so @#$%& 'em!"

Yep. A little bravado from Paul. I think at that time they were better, actually. If you get a chance pick up the "Come Feel Me Tremble" DVD. Paul talks about his admiration for Keith and meeting him.

Date: June 14, 2013 18:32

71Tele
Goldsmith

Yep. A little bravado from Paul. I think at that time they were better, actually. If you get a chance pick up the "Come Feel Me Tremble" DVD. Paul talks about his admiration for Keith and meeting him.

I agree...musically speaking they were never better than they were opening for Tom Petty in the summer of '89. It's almost like they actually tried for just a moment or two.

I've got "Come Feel Me Tremble" but haven't watched it in years. That was my favorite Westerberg solo tour. I thought the "14 Songs" tour was pretty good as well but there was something about just Paul and a guitar without a band that made it really good.

Date: June 14, 2013 18:40

The last club tour Paul did was amazing. Two-guitar/bass/drums line-up, and he did a bunch of Mats stuff. Really incredible.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: June 14, 2013 19:23

there's a 6-part youtube video of an early Replacements show in 1981 at the 7th Street Entry in Minneapolis that was put up by TwinTone Records...great quality

Date: June 14, 2013 19:43

71Tele
The last club tour Paul did was amazing. Two-guitar/bass/drums line-up, and he did a bunch of Mats stuff. Really incredible.

I agree. As I stated previously, I went to both Supper Club shows (I think the second was the better of the two) and really enjoyed them. Paul is a strange guy. He tore up his guitarist's "cheat sheet" with all the chords and pulled out a knife so they could cut each other's wrists and be blood brothers on stage. Pure rock and roll.

Date: June 14, 2013 21:17

I got Paul to sign my ticket stub after their show in Vancouver, 7/4/87. He signed it "Paul Homely".

I always felt his solo stuff got kind of short shrift, especially Eventually, which I really love. The consensus from the critics seems to be that he's a shadow of his former self as a songwriter. I don't agree. Also, after watching the Color Me Obsessed doc. I felt miffed by the argument put forth by the critics, especially Jim DeRogatis, that the band were never the same without Bob, and that the quality of the material declined starting with Tim. Are you kidding me? As much as I love the early stuff, and loved 'em the one time I saw 'em with Bob, I feel like Paul started to peak as a songwriter with Tim and Pleased to Meet Me. That dismissal of the later stuff smacks of indie rock elitism to me.

Posted by: bigbitch ()
Date: June 14, 2013 21:23

andrewm
I got Paul to sign my ticket stub after their show in Vancouver, 7/4/87. He signed it "Paul Homely".

I always felt his solo stuff got kind of short shrift, especially Eventually, which I really love. The consensus from the critics seems to be that he's a shadow of his former self as a songwriter. I don't agree. Also, after watching the Color Me Obsessed doc. I felt miffed by the argument put forth by the critics, especially Jim DeRogatis, that the band were never the same without Bob, and that the quality of the material declined starting with Tim. Are you kidding me? As much as I love the early stuff, and loved 'em the one time I saw 'em with Bob, I feel like Paul started to peak as a songwriter with Tim and Pleased to Meet Me. That dismissal of the later stuff smacks of indie rock elitism to me.

Spot on and DeRogatis is the worst kind of elite critic....thinks he is imbued with the key to it all ...all of the time....poor man's Lester Bangs

Date: June 14, 2013 21:32

Poor man's L.B. indeed, you're absolutely right. He even addresses that in the doc., saying something along the lines of once Christgau et. al. started showing up he lost interest as they weren't his band any more. Hate that mentality and I remember a couple of my friends were like that when the 'Mats signed with Sire. Why wouldn't you want your favourite band to reach as many people as possible. Oh, right, they should continue to languish in obscurity, and schlep around the country in a van so you can have them to yourself.

Date: June 15, 2013 03:17

Come Feel Me Tremble:

Posted by: redsock ()
Date: June 15, 2013 08:11

One of the best American rock and roll albums (and an amazing debut):

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: June 15, 2013 08:25

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: June 15, 2013 08:46

My band at the time were fortunate enough to get the support slot on the Manchester date of their final uk tour in 1991. At the now sadly gone Boardwalk club.
Two interesting things.. At the sound check they played only jazz. And Paul Westerberg is a real class act, taking the time to chat with us, offer encouragement and even watched our set, which is pretty much unheard of when you're an unknown band. Usually the headliner would still be at the hotel or ensconced in their dressing room. They were amazing that night and I was hooked!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1426
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home