Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Did the girl yelling, "PAINT IT, BLACK, you devil!" get what she wanted?
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 7, 2013 21:53

I know PAINT IT, BLACK isn't on Ya Ya's, but does anyone know if at the actual concert they played that song? Just out of idle curiosity, if anyone knows that kind of trivia regarding that concert....

Re: Did the girl yelling, "PAINT IT, BLACK, you devil!" get what she wanted?
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 7, 2013 22:08

Title5Take1
I know PAINT IT, BLACK isn't on Ya Ya's, but does anyone know if at the actual concert they played that song? Just out of idle curiosity, if anyone knows that kind of trivia regarding that concert....

It wasn't ever a part of the 1969 set list...so chatty cathy didn't get what she wanted until 1989...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 7, 2013 22:14

The guy yelling for Paint It Black before Let It Rock in Leeds 1971 had to wait 2 years less than that woman

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 7, 2013 22:16

Munichhilton
Title5Take1

It wasn't ever a part of the 1969 set list...so chatty cathy didn't get what she wanted until 1989...

with the setlists easily available via the internet, you'd think cathy woulda had a clue. idiot.

Posted by: django ()
Date: June 7, 2013 22:42

Title5Take1

Here's her story:

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 7, 2013 22:50

StonesTod, you are always so brilliant!

Think of all the money "fans" could save by staying home and just watching Stones videos on the Internet.

Think of the gas dollars they'd save and no need to pay a babysitter. No having to leave early to beat the traffic.

Who needs Jagger shaking his ass and spending big bucks for the privilege?

Sitting at home in front of the TV or computer would be far more comfortable

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: June 7, 2013 23:25

Erik_Snow
The guy yelling for Paint It Black before Let It Rock in Leeds 1971 had to wait 2 years less than that woman

Wow, I will have to give that LP a spin & listen for that guy. Thanks for the heads up, Mr. Snow!

Date: June 7, 2013 23:43

Erik_Snow

You refer to chatty charlie...bet they'd have chatty children and they would sit next to me at the show...

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 7, 2013 23:55

She married a house painter... and they live here:

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: June 8, 2013 02:01

You can hear her "PAINT IT, BLACK, you devil!" on "FLashpoint", too. So the "Flashpoint"-sound of the audience is a big mix of whatever...

Date: June 8, 2013 02:16

MAF
You can hear her "PAINT IT, BLACK, you devil!" on "FLashpoint", too. So the "Flashpoint"-sound of the audience is a big mix of whatever...

Same girl...wicked strange coincidence...she was much older...

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 8, 2013 02:17

django
Title5Take1

Here's her story:

I knew a girl in 73 - 74 who also claimed she was the one on the record. Different one from this clip, although I think they are both mentally disturbed and doubt both of them.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 8, 2013 02:17

....she ran away with a preacher man ...

ROCKMAN

Date: June 8, 2013 03:26

django
Title5Take1

Here's her story:

Thanks. Interesting that her "request" was superimposed from elsewhere. She thinks the album's name came from her yelling? I wonder if she knows of the old blues song that inspired the title:

Re: Did the girl yelling, "PAINT IT, BLACK, you devil!" get what she wanted?titled
Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: June 8, 2013 19:48

I heard the title came from an old blues LP titled "Get Your Ya-Yas Out The Door" (or something like that).

I didn't picture the woman yellin "Paint It Black!" to look like that cheerleader chick.

I would like a bowl of whatever she is smoking because if she really believes that title came from her shouts, she must be as high as a kite.

Date: June 8, 2013 19:58

Not the only Stones live album title inspired by a blues title:

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: June 8, 2013 21:49

schillid
She married a house painter... and they live here:

Holy @#$%&, thank you for the laugh. Actual tears.

Date: June 8, 2013 22:48

That's funny, I've always heard it as being 'Paint it Black, You As*hol*s!' Still do, actually. From the tone of her voice, I've always thought she was just a typical 'Tough New York Stones Chick!' I've known (& loved) a few of them myself, so I mean that as a compliment.

Posted by: Skinny ()
Date: January 28, 2015 19:48

I'm the guy who recorded Mona's video. I assure you Mona was/is a tough Stones chick, regardless of being a cheerleader in HS. She still lives in Perth Amboy, NJ and I saw her over the hoidays. The written story will be published in Weird NJ this fall.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 28, 2015 20:04

Skinny
I'm the guy who recorded Mona's video. I assure you Mona was/is a tough Stones chick, regardless of being a cheerleader in HS. She still lives in Perth Amboy, NJ and I saw her over the hoidays. The written story will be published in Weird NJ this fall.

Well if you include the Ya's Ya's part make sure it's published as fiction. winking smiley
peace

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: January 28, 2015 20:09

I read somewhere they rehearsed this song before one of the early 70's tours. Would be great to hear their interpretation then!

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 29, 2015 06:51

She changed her mind when he showed up.

Paint it Black you Devil
Posted by: Skinny ()
Date: January 28, 2015 18:10

Hi all. I'm the videographer who recorded the Paint it Black you Devil girl back in 06. Her name is Monica Sainz, a life long friend of mine and she still lives in Perth Amboy, NJ. This written account will probably be published in this Fall's Weird, NJ. But here it is now.

Paint it Black you (Jersey) Devil

November 1969.The Rolling Stones were at height of their game although they hadn’t toured in over two years while they recorded their seventh studio album, Beggars Banquet, which included that album’s most famous cut, Sympathy for the Devil. The Stones were itchin to hit the road and play in front of a live audience and the result was considered by many to be the best live rock concert album of all time, Get Yer Yas Yas Out. It was recorded live at Madison Square Garden on November 27 and 28, 1969.

Monica and her mates were fanatical Stones fans. In fact Monica preferred to be called Mona by virtue of an earlier Stones cover song of the same name. One of her favorite cuts was Paint it Black, so much so that she even used a black blanket when she went to the beach in Jersey, to go along with her black bathing suit.

So Mona and the rest of her Perth Amboy gang naturally got tickets for the big concert at the Garden.

It’s the Friday after Thanksgiving and the gang boarded the train at the Perth Amboy station. It was a holiday weekend and the train was filled with other Stones fans heading to the show. The mood on the train was festive if not a bit rowdy. The train deposited them directly underneath the Garden at Penn Station. As they hit the street level the first thing they saw was a teeming mass of young people milling around. Many of them probably did not have tickets but were there for the scene, or maybe hoping to score a ticket somehow. But Mona and the gang had their tickets and they were some of the first of the ticket holders to be allowed in after they were patted down for bottles.

As they were early, they roamed around a bit inside the garden, and as they walked around they noticed that there was a section over to the side where there were no seats because of poor sight lines but which afforded a view of the backstage area. They decided to hang there a while to see what they could see. After a bit they saw Mick and the boys moving around back stage getting ready. It was then that she shouted “paint it black, paint it black you devil”. Mick heard her and waved. That surely made her day. They then went back to their seats to enjoy the show which was just about ready to start.

The show was great of course and afterwards they took the train back to Amboy.

Get Yer Yas Yas Out was not released until September 1970. Mona of course bought the album the first day it came out. After listening to Midnight Rambler which was the last cut on side one, she flipped over the album to play side two, and you can imagine her astonishment when the first thing she heard, just before Sympathy for the Devil kicked in, was her own voice! She was now forever memorialized on the greatest live rock concert album ever, by the world’s greatest rock and roll band. They had inserted her call from before the show started right onto the lead of Sympathy for the Devil! Every Stones fan worth their weight is familiar with this phrase, even until this day.

Weird but true!

You can see and hear Mona’s story straight from the source on Youtube. Just search there for Paint it Black You Devil.

PS. Mona is not the only Perth Amboy/Rolling Stones connection.
In November of 1965 a Perth Amboy garage band called the Fortunes won a Battle of the Bands contest on Zacherley’s rock and roll/horror movie TV show, and the first prize was to open for the Rolling Stones at Symphony Hall in Newark! Patti Labelle was also in that lineup.

Skinny, Amboyunderground

Re: Paint it Black you Devil
Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: January 28, 2015 18:31

Very cool story.

My only question is why the Stones would have recorded anything
well before the show even started?

Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 28, 2015 18:35

Probably means in regard to a minute or few minutes before they came onstage. To record the crowd and its buildup for a possible fade in maybe.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: January 28, 2015 22:06

Why should anyone believe its really her? I am not saying I don't believe her but I can't say I believe the story either.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 28, 2015 22:25

Great story, Skinny. Thanks

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: January 28, 2015 22:42

stanlove
Why should anyone believe its really her? I am not saying I don't believe her but I can't say I believe the story either.

Because we should believe in all the good in the human being and not always be suspicious!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 28, 2015 22:47

Thanks for sharing this story, Skinny! And kudos to Mona. I wonder if she knows that she made such a big impression to Mick (and the rest) that her shouting would be heard in FLASHPOINT live album as well - over twenty years later.

- Doxa

Posted by: ShaTurd ()
Date: January 29, 2015 01:33

What Blueranger said...

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2081
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home