Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: Toronto-2 June 6 Stones show live updates
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 8, 2013 13:27

andrewt

I find that this clip sounds a lot better

Oh, what a treasure, sonically and visually!

God Bless The Rolling Stones to make this happen in 2013. Just incredible. I never thought that the band could have a nerve for a five minutes guitar solo, full of jazz-like freedom and unprectability. The fact that they gave Taylor all that spot tells that (a) they are willing to take riskies and step out of the box sometimes, (b) they really appreciate Mick Taylor. The latter point is confirmed by just looking their face expressions and behavior. Charlie must be thrilled - this must be closest thing he ever had with the Stones as far as his own preferable music is concerned. Compared to 2002/3 versions, those were pure Vegas but this is something else - the band actually reaching to new zones.

It is great to notice - via clips and reports - that also the audience seemed to acknowledge that something historical was going on. Or simply: this is how great music affects to people with good ears.

And Taylor is simply phenomenal... Damn I love that cat's - tiger's! - touch and vision. You never know where he get us, but we sure hell know we will get there - and the journey is full of surprises and adventures. Was this better or worse than the other ones, I don't really care. Each one is unique. Time to put these little art pieces in order comes later. Just keep them coming!

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-08 13:38 by Doxa.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 8, 2013 13:42

pinkfloydthebarber

the guy what posted here earlier with the 'sex tape' comment was spot on; you can't criticize dick all if you didn't hear it live.....

pinkfloydthebarber
i love it. its this, live at leeds (who) and live at fillmore (allmans) for me.

brussels affair and GYYYO both have good things going for them, er, great things.

saw - off

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 8, 2013 13:56

Doxa
andrewt

Indeed! Really smoking.....thanks for posting that clip

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: June 8, 2013 14:24

Wow..thanks for posting. God spoke and gave us the
Rolling Stones with Mick Taylor!!!

Date: June 8, 2013 14:32

No religion on the forum please.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: June 8, 2013 15:01

The people spoke and needed someone to make us all feel
Better and we were given the Rolling Stones with Mick Taylor.

The Stones are my religion! !!!

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 8, 2013 15:07

Erik_Snow
Doxa
andrewt

Indeed! Really smoking.....thanks for posting that clip

Without any doubt not his best effort on this tour, there are some loose ends in the architecture of his solo, but far above any average, some great moments in it in any case.

Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: June 8, 2013 15:16

DoomandGloom
Stones Blah

This is about as good a version of Miss You as I've seen.. Many of you are burnt on this but I'm excited to hear by it all. I remember seeing them in Philly at RFK for the Miss You tour, 1976? My first Stones show, when they played Satisfaction my eyes teared, I could not believe I was seeing such an old band and still today the "warhorses" rock. People deserve that holy sh*t I'm really watching the guys who created this moment.
I feel better now DoomandGloom, I was starting to feel really silly after my post about welling up when the Stones came on. Actually it was when Keith came on but I didn't want to offend Proudmary! Just kidding, I love all ot them, some more than others! I really did have that holy sh*t , I can't believe I'm finally seeing them moment though!

Posted by: Jesse ()
Date: June 8, 2013 15:19

Ever hear yourself recorded on a phone? Most of the time you think your own voice or that of your friend sounds strange. Same goes for the Stones' music.

It's ok to argue whether MT should play more or less because you idolize him -- but as far as real music analysis goes, forget it.

I esp like the videos with the audience members singing or talking in the background (or foreground)... And you want to judge the music quality? Don't think so.

Happy Saturday.

Date: June 8, 2013 15:23

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 8, 2013 15:27

Doxa
andrewt

God Bless The Rolling Stones to make this happen in 2013. Just incredible. I never thought that the band could have a nerve for a five minutes guitar solo, full of jazz-like freedom and unprectability. The fact that they gave Taylor all that spot tells that (a) they are willing to take riskies and step out of the box sometimes, (b) they really appreciate Mick Taylor. The latter point is confirmed by just looking their face expressions and behavior. Charlie must be thrilled - this must be closest thing he ever had with the Stones as far as his own preferable music is concerned. Compared to 2002/3 versions, those were pure Vegas but this is something else - the band actually reaching to new zones.

It is great to notice - via clips and reports - that also the audience seemed to acknowledge that something historical was going on. Or simply: this is how great music affects to people with good ears.

And Taylor is simply phenomenal... Damn I love that cat's - tiger's! - touch and vision. You never know where he get us, but we sure hell know we will get there - and the journey is full of surprises and adventures. Was this better or worse than the other ones, I don't really care. Each one is unique. Time to put these little art pieces in order comes later. Just keep them coming!

- Doxa

Lovely sentiment...it really was smoking and the audience appreciated it. I was with a 'tourist' who didn't know what the hell was happening but that still didn't detract. Just a lovely stretch.

Date: June 8, 2013 15:29

Jesse
Ever hear yourself recorded on a phone? Most of the time you think your own voice or that of your friend sounds strange. Same goes for the Stones' music.

It's ok to argue whether MT should play more or less because you idolize him -- but as far as real music analysis goes, forget it.

I esp like the videos with the audience members singing or talking in the background (or foreground)... And you want to judge the music quality? Don't think so.

Happy Saturday.

OK, making mental notes hear, first take a big piss in everyone's cheerios, and then, and only then wish them a great weekend.

I think I've got it.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 8, 2013 15:30

Doxa
andrewt

- Doxa

thumbs up Great to read your impression.

Would like to read Edward Twining's and svt22's opinion as well.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 8, 2013 15:31

Jesse

Happy Saturday.

Sure! Only the ones who were there or have an offical SBD recording of the performance are able to judge how they play.
Can't believe I didn't realise that before you enlightened me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-08 15:42 by Erik_Snow.

Date: June 8, 2013 15:38

Jesse

Happy Saturday.

Thanks. Damn beautiful weather here.

But as for the rest (though I am not sure if I get the point right), I think listening and watching all those clips with whatever sonical quality is a form of art for which I think one needs to have soime acquired taste and experience. There are people who have listened yaers and years different quality bootlegs, and I think they will have a learned "eye" to see the essentials - hearing what is missing, and ignoring certain other features. A bit of imagination is needed to construct the performance to judge it. Nothing is firm sure - some mistakes in interpretation surely happen - but that's like in life in general. "Real musical analysis" - whatever it is - is a game of its own. (I personally don't like the term "analysis" at all - that's make it all sound way too 'scientific' and all that, even though I know people use the term rather loosely.)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-08 15:41 by Doxa.

Date: June 8, 2013 15:44

DoomandGloom
Stones Blah

This is about as good a version of Miss You as I've seen.. Many of you are burnt on this but I'm excited to hear by it all. I remember seeing them in Philly at RFK for the Miss You tour, 1976? My first Stones show, when they played Satisfaction my eyes teared, I could not believe I was seeing such an old band and still today the "warhorses" rock. People deserve that holy sh*t I'm really watching the guys who created this moment.

Yes, Miss You was excellent...didn't really want to hear it at first but they really were good on this. Also excellent were Gimme Shelter, Honky Tonk Women, YCAGWYW, BTMMR, YGTS, Tumbling Dice, D&G and rather surprisingly Start Me Up.

Midnight Rambler, CYHMK, Worried About You though,...there's your show...three massive highlights. Also slightly less inspired but still good were Get Off My Cloud, Emotional Rescue, One More Shot.

Rocks Off and SFTD were just weak though, and BS, JJF, Satisfaction, IORR and PIB were uninspired...a bit pedestrian.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 8, 2013 15:45

There are some positive things with CYHMK, like Taylor making a difference and the fact that it's not a warhorse. But still I'm a Little ambivalent about fusion jazz in 2013.
And it looks like the rest of the band feels something like that too.

Date: June 8, 2013 15:49

kleermaker

I'm afraid that I will know svt22's opinion... I can hear there elements that his ear do not appreciate - that guy must be one of the toughest Taylor critics of this planet, and I appreciate him for that! There are people who don't care Taylor or his idionsyncraries at all, and it is easy for them to "critizise". But that fellow is a king of all Taylorities (not a pun to your direction, Kleeriegrinning smiley)

- Doxa

Date: June 8, 2013 15:49

Stoneage
There are some positive things with CYHMK, like Taylor making a difference and the fact that it's not a warhorse. But still I'm a Little ambivalent about fusion jazz in 2013.

That was one of those 'you had to be there moments'. The crowd really got into it from my perspective, as did the band. It went on a very long time, over 11 minutes I think, I'd have to check as I taped it.

Didn't feel like it though...they could have skipped One More Shot and just played this another 5 minutes.

Date: June 8, 2013 16:00

Stoneage

I can see your point, and I'm not a fan of that genre at all (as younger I would have put my stance much rougher, to say it mildly...grinning smiley)

But then again, this is a band who once made a rock and roll anthem out of samba, and rock classics with a sitar, or from a disco beat, etc. So for me that little experiment with "fusion jazz" goes along that line. It is refreshing that they still so late in their game are able to enrich their musical vocabulary.

I think the problem is more with the hardcore fans who have too closed shop deal how the Stones should sound like...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-08 16:04 by Doxa.

Date: June 8, 2013 16:03

Being there comes with it's own set of pros and cons with regards to hearing the music so please cut out all this crap.

Date: June 8, 2013 16:04

treaclefingers
Jesse

Happy Saturday.

OK, making mental notes hear, first take a big piss in everyone's cheerios, and then, and only then wish them a great weekend.

I think I've got it.

Ok, I didn't phrase it properly. I DO NOT think the Stones music sounds strange. I eagerly to listen to all videos that are up and appreciate and enjoy them.

What I meant to say was, one can't do detailed music ananysis based on the videos; You'd have to be there. Just to clarify one more time: I really really enjoy the videos and think they're fun. I am NOT criticizing the Stones...I love them and any sounds they make. smiling smiley

Date: June 8, 2013 16:10

Jesse
treaclefingers
Jesse

Happy Saturday.

I think I've got it.

Ok, I didn't phrase it properly. I DO NOT think the Stones music sounds strange. I eagerly to listen to all videos that are up and appreciate and enjoy them.

What I meant to say was, one can't do detailed music ananysis based on the videos; You'd have to be there. Just to clarify one more time: I really really enjoy the videos and think they're fun. I am NOT criticizing the Stones...I love them and any sounds they make. smiling smiley

OK, don't you know saccharin is a banned substance?

Date: June 8, 2013 16:12

winking smiley
treaclefingers
Jesse
treaclefingers
Jesse

Happy Saturday.

I think I've got it.

Date: June 8, 2013 16:15

Jesse
winking smiley
treaclefingers
Jesse
treaclefingers
Jesse

Happy Saturday.

I think I've got it.

That the hell...it's improved the taste of the Cheerios anyway...although there's a bit of a metallic aftertaste.

Date: June 8, 2013 16:22

Doxa
kleermaker

I'm afraid that I will know svt22's opinion... I can hear there elements that his ear do not appreciate - that guy must be one of the toughest Taylor critics of this planet, and I appreciate him for that! There are people who don't care Taylor or his idionsyncraries at all, and it is easy for them to "critizise". But that fellow is a king of all Taylorities (not a pun to your direction, Kleeriegrinning smiley)

- Doxa

Haha Doxa, I think I know his opinion too already! Indeed our friend svt22 is the most hardcore and critical Taylorite one can imagine, and therefore he's unique and special. And yes, he's the king of all Taylorites, though I wouldn't rule out pmk251. That guy has always wonderful comments. Short but sharp as a knife and always very to the point.

Date: June 8, 2013 16:30

Doxa
Stoneage

I can see your point, and I'm not a fan of that genre at all (as younger I would have put my stance much rougher, to say it mildly...grinning smiley)

But then again, this is a band who once made a rock and roll anthem out of samba, and rock classics with a sitar, or from a disco beat, etc. So for me that little experiment with "fusion jazz" goes along that line. It is refreshing that they still so late in their game are able to enrich their musical vocabulary.

I think the problem is more with the hardcore fans who have too closed shop deal how the Stones should sound like...

- Doxa

Doxa, he's just not playing all that well, there is much in the way of bluffing here. There's no more danger or creativity in Taylor's CYHMK soloing than Jaggers harmonica solo on the same song. Jaggers solo was actually better played, risky and indeed an adventure.

When someone like kleermaker starts giving in to emotional nostalgia you know something his wrong musically as he has been quite dismissive of nostalgia in relation to music before. Taylorites giving in to this, well they should maybe understand better why so many people still get a buzz from seeing The Rolling Stones in their so called Vegas era.

Date: June 8, 2013 16:38

His Majesty
Doxa
Stoneage

- Doxa

Doxa, he's just not playing all that well, there is much in the way of bluffing here. There's no more danger or creativity in Taylor's CYHMK soloing than Jaggers harmonica solo on the same song. Jaggers solo was actually better played, risky and indeed an adventure.

When someone like kleermaker starts giving in to emotional nostalgia you know something his wrong musically as he has been quite dismissive of nostalgia in relation to music before. Taylorites giving in to this, well they should maybe understand better why so many people still get a buzz from seeing The Rolling Stones in their so called Vegas era.

His Majesty,
It would be easy to just say that I usually agree with you -- but I LOVE the way you say things! I keep coming back to this site to read your comments.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 8, 2013 16:39

latebloomer
StonesTod
latebloomer
StonesTod
latebloomer
KatieGirl
Thanks Latebloomer! To top it off I went by myself and still had a blast! My kids were busy,plus I paid enough for my ticket, I didn't want to pay for someone who was just tagging along as a favour! Everyone around me was talkative and happy, so I didn't feel like a giant loser, and the view and sound were great. Had a great time.

I had the same experience at the Dec. 15 Newark show, first time ever by myself and I had a blast. I pay enough money for what my kids want, the Stones are for me!

couldn't get a date again, eh?

Oh, I suppose I should have opted for listening to jazz and talking food, huh? I'd rather walk on hot coals...

we can walk on the coals after the first date...first things first.

I really hate it when you are actually funny...

this is why i try to keep it to a very very bare minimum. i remember last year when i was funny and you didn't like that either. don't say i never do anything for you.

Date: June 8, 2013 16:55

His Majesty
Doxa
Stoneage

- Doxa

I admit that I, unlike svt22, 'suffer' a bit from emotional nostalgia, though at the same time I don't think it's a bad thing whatsoever. So I easily understand and respect people getting a buzz from seeing the so called Vegas Stones. But there's still a critic in me which is the reason I reconsidered my first opinion by writing:

"Returning to Taylor's solo one more time I must say that this one in Toronto wasn't that coherent. Or maybe even not coherent at all. Taylor could play it safe by starting with the well known notes from the studio album and then carry on the solo, but he chose another way and in hindsight not such a good way. But playing it safely isn't Taylor's game. It's not in his musical DNA. And yes, sometimes it doesn't work that well.

Rationally it's wise to keep it safe and not to stray away from the studio template. On the other hand it would be boring to hear always the same solo or a little variation to it. It's absolutely more exciting to experience the unexpected. So maybe we can take this a bit philosophically."

Pretty critical, I guess. Still waiting for HM to be as critical towards Brian's musical achievements. winking smiley

Btw: Phillip, what are the results of your check on my recent posts regarding mixing up facts and opinions?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2188
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home