Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: Roger Daltrey underratted
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 3, 2013 21:19

Blueranger
I love Daltrey, but I think that the problem is that he is often regarded as the one member of the Who with less personality. I think that his voice in the 70's were among the greatest rock had ever had.

what he lacks in personality is more than made up for in curly locks and impressive pecs. personality isn't everything in rocknroll.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: June 3, 2013 21:37

StonesTod
Blueranger
I love Daltrey, but I think that the problem is that he is often regarded as the one member of the Who with less personality. I think that his voice in the 70's were among the greatest rock had ever had.

what he lacks in personality is more than made up for in curly locks and impressive pecs. personality isn't everything in rocknroll.

I agree. I think he is one of rocks greatest singers. I'm not slamming him.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 3, 2013 23:08

Yes, very underrated Circus artist - his ability to swing the mike is not seen by so many other ones. smileys with beer

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: June 3, 2013 23:12

mtaylor
Yes, very underrated Circus artist - his ability to swing the mike is not seen by so many other ones. smileys with beer

I love the reams of heavy duty industrial tape to keep the mike from flying off.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 3, 2013 23:28

mtaylor

For Circus artist, it doesn't get any more Barnum & Bailey than riding a giant inflatable phallus onstage, for which Sir Michael takes the cake and the entire bakery along with it.

Also, I don't believe Sir Michael ever sang opera as Roger has.

Date: June 3, 2013 23:30

stonehearted
mtaylor

For Circus artist, it doesn't get any more Barnum & Bailey than riding a giant inflatable phallus onstage, for which Sir Michael takes the cake and the entire bakery along with it.

The '75 penis was better.

Date: June 3, 2013 23:35

stonehearted
mtaylor

Also, I don't believe Sir Michael ever sang opera as Roger has.

Seemes to be a very challenging opera - puts a high stress on the vocal range, I guess Pavarotti would have felt very embarassed with his own singing skills compared to RD. winking smiley

Re: roger daltry underratted
Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: June 4, 2013 20:35

triceratops
dgodkin
from 70 to 76 i think the who were the best live band maybe ever,townsend, moon,and entwistle were great, but daltrey gave it the fire,

Just as an aside-- Roger Daltry is in better shape than Mick Jagger [davedraper.com] And his age shows less.

After watching a recent episode of "Pawn Stars" where Rick was sent to Rock And Roll Fantasy Camp to sing with Daltrey, I agree with you. Daltrey looks like he has been pumping iron.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Date: June 4, 2013 23:48

FrankM
triceratops
dgodkin
from 70 to 76 i think the who were the best live band maybe ever,townsend, moon,and entwistle were great, but daltrey gave it the fire,

Just as an aside-- Roger Daltry is in better shape than Mick Jagger [davedraper.com] And his age shows less.

After watching a recent episode of "Pawn Stars" where Rick was sent to Rock And Roll Fantasy Camp to sing with Daltrey, I agree with you. Daltrey looks like he has been pumping iron.

Well Daltry and the WHO had to cancel several shows because his voice was a mess and Townend as well. The Who'w conserts 2-4 years ago were disasters - I remember the reviews and the conserts were a nightmare.....

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 5, 2013 00:50

dgodkin

i saw the band a few times during that era.i have to tell you,between the zep the stones and the who...shit,it just depended on the night.

i've met roger and he's a bit short tempered but he's actually a pretty cool guy.i dont know how he could be underrated,he's a living legend.

one more thing-i saw them in the gator bowl in 76 in jacksonville florida and its a football stadium but the band started playing kind of soft[for the who] and the crowd fell silent while he was doing that vocal...."out here in the fields ,i fight for my meals,i get..."

like we were all listening closely to him,even the band.it was a hot summer night in an outdoor stadium and that voice ,you must've heard it for miles..

the word we used back then-it fckin cranked.

Date: June 5, 2013 01:04

mtaylor
FrankM
triceratops
dgodkin

Well Daltry and the WHO had to cancel several shows because his voice was a mess and Townend as well. The Who'w conserts 2-4 years ago were disasters - I remember the reviews and the conserts were a nightmare.....

Well I saw them last November, playing the entire Quadrophenia album, and Daltrey's voice was great, Townsend's as well.

Daltrey's vocal troubles that plagued him from 2006 to 2009 were because of a precancerous nodule growth that was developing in his larynx, which prevented his voice box from rattling properly while singing. He had laser surgery to correct this in 2010, and since then he has had his full range restored and sounds now closer to his 1980 vocal sound.

As you seem to be a Daltrey detractor, you may be disgruntled to know that the doctor who performed his recent surgery assured him that he will be singing into his eighties.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 5, 2013 05:11

reg thorpe
Thrylan
I have a problem with a singer who sings someone elses lyrics........all the time. He was blessed with a voice,looks........Pete, a great band. I always thought Behind Blue Eyes was a slam by Pete, who was always.....behind ol blue eyes.

Why would him singing someone elses lyrics be a problem? Ever hear of Frank Sinatra by any chance?

First, Entwistle was a bad ass on bass, and could write very well, Moonie was a bad ass too. I dig Petes playing, and that was likely the weakest of his talents......rock operas and such, genius. Roger, well.......he sang and looked pretty.....and thats about it.

Frank isn't my thing, and as for Elvis, I will go with my man Chuck D, "Elvis ain't shit to me!" Elvis was a theif, He and the Beach Boys owe Chuck everything............I'm back!

Date: June 5, 2013 07:22

Thrylan
reg thorpe
Thrylan
I have a problem with a singer who sings someone elses lyrics........all the time. He was blessed with a voice,looks........Pete, a great band. I always thought Behind Blue Eyes was a slam by Pete, who was always.....behind ol blue eyes.

Why would him singing someone elses lyrics be a problem? Ever hear of Frank Sinatra by any chance?

First, Entwistle was a bad ass on bass, and could write very well, Moonie was a bad ass too. I dig Petes playing, and that was likely the weakest of his talents......rock operas and such, genius. Roger, well.......he sang and looked pretty.....and thats about it.

Frank isn't my thing, and as for Elvis, I will go with my man Chuck D, "Elvis ain't shit to me!" Elvis was a theif, He and the Beach Boys owe Chuck everything............I'm back!

what are you babbling about? the beach boys only have 1 song that owes anything to chuck berry.

as far as roger goes, he does write some stuff on his solo albums and a few who songs but he has said before the who is petes band

Date: June 5, 2013 07:42

Thrylan

Entwistle was a bad ass on bass, and could write very well, Moonie was a bad ass too. I dig Petes playing, and that was likely the weakest of his talents......rock operas and such, genius. Roger, well.......he sang and looked pretty.....and thats about it.

Behind Blue Eyes and the other songs on Who's Next were originally written for Pete's Lifehouse project, and the song BBE was written about a character in Lifehouse, a villain named Jumbo.

Roger has his moments when it comes to writing. The Pride You Hide was a song he co-wrote for his 1985 Under A Raging Moon album, a very personal song about Pete's decision to dissolve The Who.

Date: June 5, 2013 08:31

My babbling is a singular response to several posts. Elvis, I brought the BB's in, but, rock n roll was basically white kids stealing from black musicians.
You could likely hold all of Rogers accomplishments in the palm of your hand; not that he is bad, but he is lucky. Lifehouse boiled down to one hell of a moment, dare I say rivaling any Stones record from the golden age. To further the Daltrey point, Entwistle contributed My Wife to Who's Next, which is better than anything Roger ever wrote.

Date: June 5, 2013 09:38

Thrylan
My babbling is a singular response to several posts. Elvis, I brought the BB's in, but, rock n roll was basically white kids stealing from black musicians.
You could likely hold all of Rogers accomplishments in the palm of your hand; not that he is bad, but he is lucky. Lifehouse boiled down to one hell of a moment, dare I say rivaling any Stones record from the golden age. To further the Daltrey point, Entwistle contributed My Wife to Who's Next, which is better than anything Roger ever wrote.

again what does entwistle have to do with anything? if you knew the history of the who you would know john always "forced" his work into the band because he felt like he was a string songwriter too and the band let him put his material on the albums. daltrey is a different beast and let pete do the writing. guess what? in black sabbath geezer butler wrote most of the lyrics when ozzy was in the band. does that mean ozzy doesn't matter then? in rush neil peart writes the lyrics and geddy lee sings them. in fletwood mac several songs are sung by people other than the writer.

Date: June 5, 2013 09:53

Thrylan

Entwistle has written some great songs, both for The Who and solo. He wrote some great little nuggets for The Who in the 60s like In The City, Dr. Jeckyl & Mr. Hyde, and Heaven And Hell (his solo studio version is featured below).

But let's talk some more about Daltrey, who is underrated--most especially as an actor, which has not yet been discussed in this thread and which is a talent he has far and away above the other members of The Who. Ever see Daltrey in the 1980 UK flick McVicar? You can watch the full movie in this clip:

Date: June 5, 2013 11:29

keefriffhard4life
Thrylan

again what does entwistle have to do with anything? if you knew the history of the who you would know john always "forced" his work into the band because he felt like he was a string songwriter too and the band let him put his material on the albums. daltrey is a different beast and let pete do the writing. guess what? in black sabbath geezer butler wrote most of the lyrics when ozzy was in the band. does that mean ozzy doesn't matter then? in rush neil peart writes the lyrics and geddy lee sings them. in fletwood mac several songs are sung by people other than the writer.

Simple, in a band of four, Daltrey is a distant fourth in talent, and it doesn't help his overall auguement. Obviously you can at times sing other peoples stuff, but its nice if you could participate, which Roger hardly did.....he was lifting weights and hanging at the hairdressers while the artists were creating. Also, Ozzy always had a guitar ace, which was alot of his apeal, and Rush is usually a better if you cant understand what Geddy is screeching; at least Kansas had a sense of humor about lowbrow philosophizing........oh no, I brought in Kansas......

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: June 5, 2013 13:10

I could just about stand his voice until about the mid 70's but it has been a straight drop since. I cannot beleive people still think he is good today. It would be an improvement to hear Townsend sing the songs of the Who these days.

Date: June 7, 2013 00:30

They should have used Keith Moon as lead singer smileys with beer

Posted by: steini ()
Date: June 7, 2013 01:25

Not underrated in my opinion and i´m not going into why?.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: June 7, 2013 07:20

I think Daltrey contributes more to the Who than he is given credit for. Pete has even stated as such. For example, while Pete gets the writing credits for Quadrophenia, Entwistle and Daltrey both contributed to the songs structure and sound. Yes, Pete had the basic arrangements (listen to his demos) but it took the other members to bring the songs out. Further, Daltrey was the Who's voice. Listening to Pete's demos its sometimes difficult to hear him belting out songs like Love Reign O'er Me (Daltreys greatest vocal IMO, Won't Get Fooled Again, Who Are You or any number of other Who Classics. Daltrey was and is the voice of the Who and thats all his contribution needs to be.

at there peek , who was better live, stones, zep, or the who
Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: August 21, 2013 22:54

for continued long term tours the stones in my opinion are, but from 70 to about 76 the who maybe the best ever

Re: at there peek , who was better live, stones, zep, or the who
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 21, 2013 22:56

King Crimson

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: August 21, 2013 22:58

Who.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 21, 2013 23:05

Them.

Date: August 21, 2013 23:08

Best live 70 to 76?

The Rolling Whopelin.

Apples are better than cheese.

Discuss.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 21, 2013 23:09

ooooooo its hard to beat The Kingston Trio in the first part of the 70's...The World Needs A Melody indeed...

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 21, 2013 23:10

Definitely the Stones, I saw the Stones & The Who in '76 & Led Zep @ Knebworth '79,
I had more fun watching The Sensational Alex Harvey band who supported the Who in Swansea and more fun watching the New Barbs who supported Led Zep.
I can't say the same about the Meters who supported the Stones in '76 or the J Geils band who supported them in '82.

Besides any of that, the Stones are simply much more fun........hands down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-22 02:11 by EddieByword.

Date: August 21, 2013 23:11

Thin Lizzy?

Slade?

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1895
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home