Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Neighbours
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 21, 2015 02:22

Neighbours....Neighbours.........NEIGHBOURS....!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 21, 2015 07:25

Is this a STONES song on Track Talk? Christ, I thought we were done with that bullshit. There must be a few more CROSSEYED HEART tracks than can be talked, no?

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 21, 2015 22:44

Good track; great video, reminiscent of Rear Window.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 21, 2015 22:55

LongBeachArena72
Is this a STONES song on Track Talk? Christ, I thought we were done with that bullshit. There must be a few more CROSSEYED HEART tracks than can be talked, no?

The biggest Stones related release in the last 10 years, and you don't think Stones fans would want to discuss it?

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 1, 2016 21:27

I never loved "Neighbours" the way it comes over at TATTOO YOU. Still I don't. I may have said as much in an album thread that I don't fancy the song.

However, I have got a vinyl boot from Keith's birthday at 38. That is, from 18 December, 1981. The live version of "Neighbours" featured there is on the other hand absolutely marvellous. With the rhythm section at the core of it. This is an ideal example of the faculty that the Stones almost always have had to lift a quite unremarkable song into a special treat. This version of "Neighbours" I therefore strongly want to recommend.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 2, 2016 12:27

I love Neighbours, just like all of the songs on the brilliant A-side of TY. Very, very enjoyable song, Mick shouting is great.

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: April 2, 2016 14:11

I get amazed that someone would call this "filler." From the beginning it has been one of my faves off TY. It's a so-so song, but a GREAT track. Charlie and Bill swing like mad. I used to bang my head like a hyper pigeon to this track.
Tommy

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 2, 2016 14:56

HMS
I love Neighbours, just like all of the songs on the brilliant A-side of TY. Very, very enjoyable song, Mick shouting is great.

thumbs up
All great songs on Tatoo You. A perfect album...the last.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 2, 2016 16:38

From4tilLate
I get amazed that someone would call this "filler." From the beginning it has been one of my faves off TY. It's a so-so song, but a GREAT track. Charlie and Bill swing like mad. I used to bang my head like a hyper pigeon to this track.
Tommy

Yes - Bill is awesome on this! Just listen also to the difference between live versions from 81-82 and the lackluster version on Live Licks. Bill is sorely missed.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: April 2, 2016 17:12

So who are Jennifer & Sarah Maclean?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 2, 2016 19:30

The weakest link on Tattoo You?
I would tend to think so, but that doesn't mean it's bad or I don't like it.
It's part as the album as a whole, and might be missed if it wasn't there...maybe.
Mick's singing is a bit shouty and is far from his best, while the guitars are the saving grace.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: April 3, 2016 03:17

Hairball
It's part as the album as a whole, and might be missed if it wasn't there...maybe.
Mick's singing is a bit shouty and is far from his best, while the guitars are the saving grace.

It easily could have been a track on Some Girls. In fact, I would trade "Far Away Eyes" to Tattoo You for "Neighbours" in a heartbeat.

Date: April 3, 2016 03:54

The Sicilian
Hairball

It easily could have been a track on Some Girls. In fact, I would trade "Far Away Eyes" to Tattoo You for "Neighbours" in a heartbeat.

But Some Girls already has similarly simple structured tunes with Whip, Lies, and Respectable.
Add Neighbors, and it might take away from Some Girls as a whole - Far Away Eyes is irreplaceable imo.
It might fit easier on Emotional Rescue, but there you also have the similar structured Summer Romance, Let Me Go, and Where the Boys Go.
If forced though, I'd switch it with either the title track (ER), Send it to Me, or Indian Girl, but would leave all of those off of Tattoo You and on the cutting room floor.
Bottom Line - even though it's the weakest link on Tattoo You, Neighbors really has no other place to go.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: April 3, 2016 04:21

Hairball
The Sicilian
Hairball

But Some Girls already has similarly simple structured tunes with Whip, Lies, and Respectable.
Add Neighbors, and it might take away from Some Girls as a whole - Far Away Eyes is irreplaceable imo.
It might fit easier on Emotional Rescue, but there you also have the similar structured Summer Romance, Let Me Go, and Where the Boys Go.
If forced though, I'd switch it with either the title track (ER), Send it to Me, or Indian Girl, but would leave all of those off of Tattoo You and on the cutting room floor.
Bottom Line - even though it's the weakest link on Tattoo You, Neighbors really has no other place to go.

Fine, I'll compromise, we'll give you "Beast of Burden" for "Neighbours. It's a done deal.

Date: April 3, 2016 05:07

The Sicilian
Hairball
The Sicilian
Hairball

Fine, I'll compromise, we'll give you "Beast of Burden" for "Neighbours. It's a done deal.

Hahaha...nope, the "Beast" will live happily ever after on Some Girls where it belongs!
All deals are off.

smileys with beer

Date: November 10, 2018 05:01

I was listening to another outtake disc today. Lots of TY material. Has an earlier version of this song, and I liked it a lot more. What I have never been wild about in this song is how angular it sounds. It's so choppy. In this outtake there is either a reverb wash on the guitars that softens everything out, or there is actually an organ playing. Jagger doesn't have all the words, and also does not growl in that passage where music stops and he goes "Neighbors neighbors..". Much better I thought.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 10, 2018 19:38

Inspired by this thread I listened "Neighbours" again. I have already reviewed it here, and I don't have nothing to add to that. Just to remark what a huge, positive influence punk movement had on the Stones. Stones rockers from the Pathe Marconi era in general are funny to listen. I think they are much better aged than the slightly forced 80's hard rock/stadion rock style they started to ape from DIRTY WORK on (things like "One Hit", "Rock & A Hard Place", Jagger's solo stuff, etc.).

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-10 19:39 by Doxa.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: November 10, 2018 19:53

I quite liked the version they did on the last tour when they dropped the tempo a bit. Gave it more groove.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: November 10, 2018 21:37

padre69
I quite liked the version they did on the last tour when they dropped the tempo a bit. Gave it more groove.

Dublin, in what was interpreted as a pop at local residents who'd objected to the gig taking place.

[youtu.be]

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: November 10, 2018 21:51

not so much digging this one;
i really love 'respectable' and 'whip'
and a lot of really fast numbers from this general period.
so it's not the simplicty or same-ness that keeps me from getting more with it.
It just seems, to me anyway, in comparison with the two just mentioned,
and a few others of that genernal ilk...like a little brother or lightweight
effort comparatively. They've done very simplistic basic fast stuff
that I adore and think really plays a huge part in defining them for me.
and in an active way as a listener particpating with gusto...
...but for whatever personal reasons of attaction; tho I will liste again for Bill and the usual things that reliably get me off...
...but that one never, for me, was first or second rate, comparative to other
fast rockers in that general group of LP's in that era.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 11, 2018 10:02

The Sicilian
Hairball

Even though it wasn't recorded until after SOME GIRLS came out? That's hilarious.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 11, 2018 13:59

grzegorz67
padre69

Dublin, in what was interpreted as a pop at local residents who'd objected to the gig taking place.

[youtu.be]

I love the version posted. Slower version gives the song more feel, transition, and direction. This version would have served better on Tattoo You than the existing unexpected raucous. I'm not saying the the current album version is weak. This video gave me another mind altering perspective.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2005
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home