Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Best Album Played Beginning To End?
Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 28, 2013 07:07

drbryant
As others have mentioned many times over the years, the problem with the CD era is that there is too much time and not enough material. Even the latter-day Stones albums could be great from start to finish if limited to 30 -35 minutes or so.

Good point. I miss the 40-45 minute album days, Exile being the exception. As for the early days, I have an old import of the second British release, Rolling Stones #2........very hot, my favorite before BB.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 28, 2013 09:11

Come On
From Mercy Mercy to One More Try...

That's the one that's on my car stereo this week. Before that it was Sticky Fingers, and Bridges to Babylon before that. All enjoyable start-to-finish listens - but I think my favourite is still Goats Head Soup.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 28, 2013 09:18

Green Lady
Come On

That's the one that's on my car stereo this week. Before that it was Sticky Fingers, and Bridges to Babylon before that. All enjoyable start-to-finish listens - but I think my favourite is still Goats Head Soup.

And I have been listening a lot to Goats head soup recently...The band is fantastic from Mr D to Star erhhh Star....

2 1 2 0

Date: May 28, 2013 12:46

drbryant
As others have mentioned many times over the years, the problem with the CD era is that there is too much time and not enough material. Even the latter-day Stones albums could be great from start to finish if limited to 30 -35 minutes or so.

Amen; you edit "Steel Wheels, Voodoo and Bigger Bang (especially) down to 40 minutes, and I'd be thinking about them differently.
Voodoo is a riddle to me because so much of it is weak. More so in light of the material we know was left off.
Bigger Bang is just too long. I have seen that opinions on IORR vary drastically which songs should go or stay, but all agree that it goes on too long.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 28, 2013 13:52

sticky fingers !!!!!!!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 28, 2013 13:58

Palace Revolution 2000
drbryant

Amen; you edit "Steel Wheels, Voodoo and Bigger Bang (especially) down to 40 minutes, and I'd be thinking about them differently.
Voodoo is a riddle to me because so much of it is weak. More so in light of the material we know was left off.
Bigger Bang is just too long. I have seen that opinions on IORR vary drastically which songs should go or stay, but all agree that it goes on too long.

Another problem is that people tends to have different taste in music so we're out for a Bigger Bang Album with just clunkers left...but of course with apropiate
40 minutes play-time...grinning smiley

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: May 28, 2013 15:16

Carnaby
Side Two of Satanic listened continuously for nine hours straight.

Yeah !!!

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: May 28, 2013 15:54

All the way through?
Actually I like to listen to 'Out of our Heads' and 'Aftermath' back to back, to see the development from r & b cover band to early sixties British pop songwriters (Jagger-Richards, that is).

Also interesting to listen straight through and back to back the 'Let it Bleed' and 'Sticky Fingers' albums (shows the growth of guitarist Mick Taylor).

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 28, 2013 21:55

For Stones albums, I'll take as play from end to end albums the American version of "Rolling Stones Now!" and the British version of "Aftermath" minus "Mother's Little Helper" which, for me, is one of the Stones big "this sucks" songs.

For others, a few I'd choose are the British "Rubber Soul" album and "Revolver" by you know who. For me, "Sgt. Pepper" is one of the Beatles most over-rated (and generally over-rated) album. "Grievous Angel" by Gram Parsons is a solid play all the way through album along with "Tonight's the Night" and "Rust Never Sleeps" by Neil Young. And, in another direction entirely, "Pictures and Paintings" by the late Charlie Rich is an album that can be played over and over as the music and songs are so rich and diverse on it and it isn't country at all, but Rich discovering his jazz and r&b groove again on a number of the cuts.

Here's a cut from the Rich album. The actual title is "Somebody Broke Into My Heart Today". I can hear the Stones doing this as a cover with Bobby Keys wailing away on the horn and Keith and Ronnie trading the guitasr licks. They could stretch the song out and have Mick do a call and response bit with Lisa and the others to close out the song.

Posted by: rambler44 ()
Date: May 28, 2013 22:55

Exile, Some Girls, Let it Bleed, Tattoo You

Posted by: ts ()
Date: May 31, 2013 04:57

listening to Sticky Fingers just now and i realize----this is the best album of all time. Gonna warm my bones let the airwaves explode

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: May 31, 2013 05:19

The nice thing about Exile is that by the time you reach the end, your're to start over again without any weariness....

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 31, 2013 05:27

Exile, twice as long as any other studio Stones. I love side 4.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: May 31, 2013 05:55

terraplane
Let It Bleed and GYYYO

thumbs up

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 31, 2013 06:06

Exile On Main Street

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 31, 2013 07:01

For the Stones:-

The Rolling Stones (UK debut)
Out Of Our Heads (UK/US)
Between The Buttons (UK/US)
Beggars Banquet
Let It Bleed
Get Yer Ya Ya's Out
Sticky Fingers
Some Girls
Tattoo You

For The Beatles:-

Please Please Me
With The Beatles
A Hard Days Night
Help!
Rubber Soul
Revolver
Sergeant Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
Abbey Road

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-31 07:02 by Big Al.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 31, 2013 07:14

Beggar's Banquest
GYYO

Date: May 31, 2013 09:40

Right now it's Sticky Fingers for me, but usually I'd say Some Girls. Another day it might be Aftermath or Between The Buttons...

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 31, 2013 19:35

Beggars Banquet.
Followed by Bleed, YaYa's and Sticky Fingers.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 31, 2013 19:43

LET IT BLEED

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 1, 2013 02:35

drbryant

The beauty of doing your own editing. One can make Voodoo Lounge into a (somewhat) respectable album and Bridges a trimmed down and decent LP. Taste is subjective of course.

The art, although not lost strictly in regard to the fact that artists still make albums, regardless of what format they are released on, is essentially worthless now thanks to Apple. Not sure if it's evolved or devolved. Depends on your point of view. Maybe it's good for the single but artists don't make money on iTunes.

The Stones seem to be OK with recording a couple of songs for their hits albums now and it creates interest for about 5 minutes. Otherwise people will continue to talk about their whatever albums and listen to them however. That won't evolve.

Date: June 1, 2013 02:40

GasLightStreet
drbryant

The beauty of doing your own editing. One can make Voodoo Lounge into a (somewhat) respectable album and Bridges a trimmed down and decent LP. Taste is subjective of course.

The art, although not lost strictly in regard to the fact that artists still make albums, regardless of what format they are released on, is essentially worthless now thanks to Apple. Not sure if it's evolved or devolved. Depends on your point of view. Maybe it's good for the single but artists don't make money on iTunes.

The Stones seem to be OK with recording a couple of songs for their hits albums now and it creates interest for about 5 minutes. Otherwise people will continue to talk about their whatever albums and listen to them however. That won't evolve.

I agree. The "CD era" of extending the length of "albums" has been replaced by the Apple Era, in which the format of the LP/CD/whatever is now a relic of the past. now there are individual songs, and there are playlists.

Date: June 1, 2013 03:06

No, No, No!!!!! I will not buy from I tunes..... I will buy cds or be a pirate.

Date: June 1, 2013 03:10

Thrylan

The Stones will be happy, as their business model relies on throwing a couple of rare cuts on a "new" CD otherwise filled with warhorses... :-)

Date: June 1, 2013 03:13

sonomastone
Thrylan

The Stones will be happy, as their business model relies on throwing a couple of rare cuts on a "new" CD otherwise filled with warhorses... :-)

True, however, considering the jack I have spent on some of the boxes, dvd's, etc......I will dub together the occasional cd myself......with a pretty clear conscience.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: June 1, 2013 04:04

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: June 1, 2013 05:05

rambler44
Exile, Some Girls, Let it Bleed, Tattoo You

Ditto. I'd almost add Beggars, but I have mixed feelings about Salt of the Earth.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: June 1, 2013 05:24

Palace Revolution 2000
Way too many folks here completely ignore the albums before Banquet. I am not a judge here, but I honestly can not understand how someone can see himself as a big hard Stonesfreak, and not be aware of the early stuff.
Undercover - great album btw.

But alot of that early stuff had a good deal of filler, hard to dig it all from start to finish, imo. Not a criticism really, they were just finding their strenghts in writing and playing. Stands to reason that when they hit their stride, those are the albums that you'll listen to all the way through.

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: June 1, 2013 05:53

Green Lady
Come On

Heads has also been on my car stereo for the last couple of weeks. Slightly disappointed compared to last time I listened to it. Cry to Me, Mercy, Good Times still fantastic. One More Try, Hitch Hike, Promo Man a little weak. I've grown a little weary of The Last Time also. Not as solid as The Rolling Stones Now.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: June 1, 2013 12:17

Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers & Tattoo You all spring to mind as 100% winners

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2059
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home