Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The Stones will never play THIS MT song on this tour...
Date: May 23, 2013 11:42

dcba
DandelionPowderman
They see the cheesiness of it?

Yeah it has "the ugliest side of the 70's" written all over it. Give me DLSister instead of this one!

I like the song myself, but I can easily see Jagger thinking this song (the vocals and the melody) being a bit over the top...

Re: Time waits for no one
Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: May 23, 2013 11:44

gripweed
Mick Taylor has played this song a few times though... Mid 1980's at a Gig in LA, Acoustically he played this with Erwin Nijhoff on a RADIO 192 broadcast that has been WIDELY bootlegged and then he again played this at 2 gigs in late 2007 with Erwin & Mick's band

My dear Ed, I think this song is for the hardcore Taylorites that also remember when this song was released. Not famous enough for the latter-day Stones fans that grew up with Start me up.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 23, 2013 11:50

TWFNO is not an ideal song to play live, I am not interested in hearing it. I'd prefer blues numbers with Taylor like Love in Vain, Key To The Highway, Hide Your Love etc.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: May 23, 2013 11:56

Those words are so good I have to repeat them. Here we go again:

"Time can tear down a building or destroy a woman's face
Hours are like diamonds, don't let them waste"

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: May 23, 2013 11:56

I think that this is a kind of song shouldn't be performed sloppy at all, they should rehearse it VERY WELL before playing it in concert, i think that it's quite sensitive song as for guitar playing and singing...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-23 11:57 by rollingon.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: May 23, 2013 12:02

Sometimes I get the impression that in many fans' opinion the years between 1972 and 1974 were supposed to be the the worst in the Stones history:

- two weak albums
- many boring songs on GHS and IORR
- muddy production on GHS
- the redundant MOR tune Time waits for no one
- incessant guitar noodling during the concerts
- Keith's deterioration as a rhythm guitarist

What a pity!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 23, 2013 12:11

Love the song myself. Yes, it has sentimental lyrics but what's wrong with that? And it's a great solo. The song represents the softer side of the Stones. They're not cock rocking misogynists all the time.

I remember the same criticism coming out when Black And Blue was released. That album revealed a different side of the Stones especially with the beautiful Memory Motel which is one of my favourite Stones songs. And of course there was also Fool To Cry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-23 13:19 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 23, 2013 12:17

...and it hasn't wait for me....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 23, 2013 12:33

with sssoul
Ohh if you promise they really won't I shall be sooooo grateful!
Not only cheesy - it's cheesiness that's *way* past its best-by date.
Even an instrumental version, with Chuck doing the tick-tocks, would be ... [shudder]
No. Just no.

grinning smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 23, 2013 12:34

svt22
gripweed
Mick Taylor has played this song a few times though... Mid 1980's at a Gig in LA, Acoustically he played this with Erwin Nijhoff on a RADIO 192 broadcast that has been WIDELY bootlegged and then he again played this at 2 gigs in late 2007 with Erwin & Mick's band

My dear Ed, I think this song is for the hardcore Taylorites that also remember when this song was released. Not famous enough for the latter-day Stones fans that grew up with Start me up.

No, it's just a poop song. grinning smiley

Date: May 23, 2013 12:38

Silver Dagger
Love the song myself. Yes, it has sentimental lyrics but what's wrong with that? And it's a great solo. The song reprents the softer side of the Stones. They're not cock rocking misogynists all the time.

I remember the same criticism coming out when Black And Blue was released. That album revealed a different side of the Stones especially with the beautiful Memory Motel which is one of my favourite Stones songs. And of course there was also Fool To Cry.

thumbs up 100%

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 23, 2013 12:58

Silver Dagger
Love the song myself. Yes, it has sentimental lyrics but what's wrong with that? And it's a great solo. The song reprents the softer side of the Stones. They're not cock rocking misogynists all the time.

I'm sorry to dis a track you love, Silver Dagger honey, but I wanted to clarify
that it's not sentimentality or gentleness that I object to - far from it!
It's the fact that the lyrics are a collection of dreadfully banal cliches that add up to an utterly unoriginal "message",
coupled with music overloaded with unnecessary "frills".

If a student of mine turned in a piece of writing as trite and vapid as that they'd get a D at best.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: May 23, 2013 13:07

with sssoul

If a student of mine turned in a piece of writing as trite and vapid as that they'd get a D at best.

I wonder what your occupation is.Teaching composition?

Posted by: SilverBlanket ()
Date: May 23, 2013 13:12

His Majesty
Laughingsam
His Majesty
Horrible song, please don't! hot smiley

It's an a-typical Stones song, but it's not horrible. Lyrically, it's one of the groups better efforts and the solo at the end ranks right up their with CYHMK.

The lyrics are terrible, the often talked about Taylor guitar is just typical mid 70's soft focus pap.

smileys with beer I'm with Phil on this one.Ugh!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 23, 2013 13:17

with sssoul
Silver Dagger

It's the fact that the lyrics are a collection of dreadfully banal cliches that add up to an utterly unoriginal "message",

Well it's good to know that there's finally a song you don't like by them with sssoul. I assumed you loved everything they ever did. It's good to keep your critical faculties even for the things you love.

Date: May 23, 2013 13:26

Silver Dagger
with sssoul
Silver Dagger

Well it's good to know that there's finally a song you don't like by them with sssoul. I assumed you loved everything they ever did. It's good to keep your critical faculties even for the things you love.

I once met a girl who knew pretty well all the stones records and this song was one of her top favorites!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 23, 2013 17:02

CanYouHearTheMusic
Munichhilton
In some way you are in the know? Why would they not play this one...they have officially surprised us don't y'know...

Why would they not play it? Because they didn't rehearse it once for this tour, that's why. They tend to not play songs they haven't rehearsed. winking smiley Plus, I haven't been that surprised on this tour myself, though I can't speak for others. Everything they've played live at this point, even the one-offs, are things they rehearsed.

Rehearsal is for losers

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 23, 2013 17:34

Munichhilton
CanYouHearTheMusic
Munichhilton
In some way you are in the know? Why would they not play this one...they have officially surprised us don't y'know...

Why would they not play it? Because they didn't rehearse it once for this tour, that's why. They tend to not play songs they haven't rehearsed. winking smiley Plus, I haven't been that surprised on this tour myself, though I can't speak for others. Everything they've played live at this point, even the one-offs, are things they rehearsed.

Rehearsal is for losers

i can't believe you postulated that....

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: May 23, 2013 17:36

TWFNO is not an ideal song to play live, I am not interested in hearing it. I'd prefer blues numbers with Taylor like Love in Vain, Key To The Highway, Hide Your Love etc.

I went back last night and listened to Goodnight Vienna w/the 73 tour rehearsals. Hide Your Love was probably the most interesting rehearsal song on there, it was pretty hot. Although it's essentially a jam, there's not much of a song to be done live.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 23, 2013 18:20

Silver Dagger
Well it's good to know that there's finally a song you don't like by them with sssoul.
I assumed you loved everything they ever did. It's good to keep your critical faculties even for the things you love.

Ohh there are a few tracks that fall into that category, Silver D honey.
And not only tracks ... but usually I just keep quiet about what I don't dig.
This time I just felt compelled to speak out.

Date: May 23, 2013 18:25

with sssoul
usually I just keep quiet about what I don't dig.

good policy. others would be wise to follow suit.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 23, 2013 18:25

GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
CanYouHearTheMusic
Munichhilton

Rehearsal is for losers

It takes one to know one...

Date: May 23, 2013 18:31

Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
CanYouHearTheMusic
Munichhilton

Rehearsal is for losers

It takes one to know one...

i know many...i must be many....

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 23, 2013 19:08

I've been bending everyone's ear with that one since Taylor's involvement was announced a few days before the O2/25th so count me in! The one before last encore at HP and then SMU or Satisfaction so that everyone in sight doesn't top themselves on the spot!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1359
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home