Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Undercover
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 21, 2013 01:10

I mean, yeah, what happened to that one? Just disappeared??!!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-21 09:59 by bv.

Re: What happened to UNDERCOVER thread?
Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: May 21, 2013 01:11

Yer right, it disappeared from the board.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: May 21, 2013 01:13

...WHY....???

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 21, 2013 01:14

Date: May 21, 2013 01:15

eye popping smiley

I don't get it. There was some nice conversation going on. I didn't see anything wrong.

- Doxa

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 21, 2013 01:33

i congratulate bv. it was getting out of hand. i mean, come on...UNDERCOVER??

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 21, 2013 01:39

I think that all the threads started by that DVD guy have been deleted

C

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 21, 2013 01:40

I believe the crux of the thread was that it was a piece of dung, and a disservice to the fine song 'Undercover of the Night' to be associated with the rest of the crap on that album. Everyone agreed on this. It seems to now have the title 'Worst Stones Album', edging out the train wreck of Dirty Work.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: May 21, 2013 01:45

I personally love Undercover. I can listen to that all the way thru/..better than Voodoo, S.W., E.R....just my opinion

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 21, 2013 02:17

Marhsall
I personally love Undercover. I can listen to that all the way thru/..better than Voodoo, S.W., E.R....just my opinion

No, Marshall, EVERYONE agreed. We voted, it was unanimous.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: May 21, 2013 02:36

Too Tough is a great song!

Date: May 21, 2013 02:37

liddas
I think that all the threads started by that DVD guy have been deleted

C

Okay, sounds logical (but a bit... hmm.. rough for the rest of us); UNDERCOVER is what it is, but I guess not so bad album that the topic should be banned...

From now on, one needs to be careful in choosing the threads where to contribute, if the starter is suspectible or not... hmmm... that does not leave many safe names...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: May 21, 2013 02:39

Undercover happens to be one of my favorite Stones albums, I'm listening to it right now!

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 21, 2013 03:31

It went the way of the album....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 21, 2013 03:32

ROCKMAN

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: May 21, 2013 03:36

All The Way Down love that one as well Undercover, She Was Hot, too tight or was it Too tough on this record (well like both of em anyhow) lol MEZ

3-4 others pretty decent as well.... MEZ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-21 03:37 by The Mez.

Date: May 21, 2013 03:44

If anyone hasn't heard the studio outtakes from these sessions look for them..these a lot of great gems in there!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 21, 2013 03:47

I LOVE this song...

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 21, 2013 03:58

That's it. No more Undercover or Dirty Work threads. We have reached the end of the internet on those two albums.

Date: May 21, 2013 04:00

Nice choice jamesfdouglas!

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: May 21, 2013 06:01

Here's my review of the Undercover album:

Undercover – 1983 (US #4; UK#3)
Undercover Of The Night • She Was Hot • Tie You Up (The Pain Of Love) •
Wanna Hold You • Feel On Baby • Too Much Blood • Pretty Beat Up • Too Tough •
All The Way Down • It Must Be Hell

Stones Fan – ****
Casual Listener - **

After the gargantuan success of Tattoo You and its corresponding tours, The Stones entered their darkest period of their career with Undercover. MTV had become a huge force, and the band responded by producing three of their greatest videos for this album. But all was not great within the Stones camp, and it showed on what is their bleakest, darkest album. It was the last album originally issued in the US on Atlantic Records, the first to feature Chuck Leavell on keyboards, and on a certain level, the last album to actually sound like a unified 45 minute Rolling Stones album. Without any great single, ballad or major classic track, the album peaked at #3 in the UK and #4 in the US (the first US studio album not to hit #1 since Let It Bleed). Nevertheless, it’s perhaps their most overlooked album and a real pleasure for die-hard Stones fans.

The album starts off with Undercover Of The Night, which featured a great-dramatized video, highlighted by a masked Keith Richards shooting kidnap victim Mick Jagger. The song opens and is propelled all the way through by Charlie Watts’ powerful gunshot sounding, pounding drumming and overdubbed percussion. Overlayed with fierce, slashing guitar riffs throughout, the title track is literally an onslaught of sound. Jagger’s lyrical storytelling and strong delivery create a brutal listening experience (especially with the video). Jagger’s, falsetto whoo-hoo’s also help keep the groove. The Stones still play it on occasion live, but it’s never reached its potential as a live showstopper. Not a particularly commercial song, though the best shot at a single, the track did peak at a very respectable #9 US and #11 UK.

Keith and Charlie start off the next track, She Was Hot. With its metallic searing guitar lines, more powerful inter-weaving playing including Leavell’s keyboards mixing with Stu’s piano, and a wonderful melodic lead guitar solo break, this is a more powerful, full-bodied rock song than its sister She’s So Cold. Jagger’s lyrics and delivery (along with the great video) are red hot. Amazingly, never played live until the Bigger Bang tour, She Was Hot rocks hard with a cool Stones swagger. As a 2nd single, it bombed, but featured a fantastic non-album B-side I Think I’m Going Mad.

Charlie’s drums carry the raw pounding Tie You Up (The Pain Of Love). Jagger’s vocals are especially raw and mixed within the music’s drama. The hard rhythm guitar slashes in and out throughout, and another great raw lead guitar solo literally takes off. Suddenly the song virtually stops with Jagger yelling over a heavy percussive interlude, which kicks back in to the powerful finale. As Jagger sings “Don’t Hurt Me”, the whole thing weaves from speaker to speaker and increases in intensity till it ends. This is a great lost album track.

Wanna Hold You is Keith’s solo spotlight on this album, and what at first seems very generic, is another fine catchy Keith riff rocker. The chorus is actually the hookiest thing on the album and definitely stays in your head. The album version stays pretty raw in context of the album. The live version on the Bridges To Babylon tour added horn accents, adding more dynamics and creating wider appeal. The song doesn’t reach the heights of Happy or Before They Make Me Run, but few do.

So far so great as we reach the strange, unusual Feel On Baby, a difficult listen at first, but a real grower over the years. Unlike anything else in the Stones canon, this is a merging of reggae, ska, heavy overdubbed percussion and slow, drawn-out hypnotic vocalizing by Mick and Keith. The heavy phasing, haunting background vocals, yelps, harp playing and heavy percussion, create an almost scary hallucinatory experience. So what at first seems like a misstep, actually over time fits perfectly into this unique Stones album.

Which leads us to Too Much Blood, the opening track of side 2 and the definite highlight of the album. This is one of my all-time favorite “unknown” Stones tracks, which also had an amazing video going with it. The music is a first-rate mixture of dance and funk, but this time, the main riff is played and punctuated throughout by the horn section, which lifts it to an incredible height. The bass playing, Charlie’s steady drum feel, along with the percussion highlights, totally make you want to get up. Jagger’s lyrics, which he talk sings, about cannibalism, the Texas Chainsaw Massacre etc, are totally fun, though eliminated any shot at commercial radio play. I don’t know how this would work live, but I’d sure like to see it given a shot.

Similar to Down In The Hole and Slave, Pretty Beat Up is more of a groove jam than a well-put together song. But this one is much heavier and fits perfectly within the album. Jagger seems to be yelling the lyrics as they come into his head, but the background vocal “Pretty Beat Up’s” by Keith and Woody add greatly. The sax solo lifts the tune higher to an almost ritualistic heavy level transforming a basic Woody lick to a heady groove.

Keith starts off another nice opening riff into the most basic Stones track on the album “Too Tough”. At first, it sounds like they were trying for the “single” with this track, but it’s stuck in a middle ground of not being commercially slick enough, nor as savage as the rest of the album. Mick’s vocals are still very raw and as the song keeps going, the music gets rawer too. The chorus is catchy, but stays heavy, so the song never seems to peak. Too Tough is good, but lacks overall direction and is a missed opportunity.

All The Way Down also seems to be a bit confused in direction. Starting off with a sharp Keith opening into relatively clean sounding verses, the song rocks great as it enters the repeated chorus “She Went All The Way Down”. But for the bridges, Charlie plays the same tempo on the high-hat as the band cuts to half-tempo, as Mick sings slowly “ She’s There When I Close My Eyes”. Suddenly this fun fast-tempo rocker push-pulls fighting itself to a diminishing effect. At a little over 3 minutes, it’s a fun Stones rocker, but could have been more.

Another great Keith riff opens the terrific closer It Must Be Hell, a lost Stones classic. The riff is reminiscent of Soul Survivor, and Michael Jackson totally lifted it for his Black And White smash hit. Mick’s lyrics are topical about millions unemployed and kids can’t read or write amongst other world problems. As Mick sings some “whoo hoo’s”, we get a great Woody lead solo, short but spot on. As the song coalesces at the end with additional percussion, it turns into another powerful tribal groove as it fades out. This is a wonderful end to a greatly underrated Stones album.

If you’re a Stones fan, Undercover has legs. Each listen adds additional depth to the album, and the Universal remaster especially sounds really powerful. The album is filled with great album tracks, and because there are no major classic tracks, so to speak, the album never feels overplayed. The Stones have only played three of the tracks live (and rarely). It’s not an entry point, but for the Stones fan, this is a diamond, buried in the rough.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 21, 2013 06:09

Every Stones album has some great songs and some duds.

Just recall the singing words of Donny Berger Osmond and it will all be OK.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: May 21, 2013 06:52

1983 is when rock radio is starting to get smacked by the Top 40 format. Madonna, Michael Jackson, etc.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 21, 2013 07:15

it's all secrecy...and no privacy

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: May 21, 2013 08:03

GravityBoy
By all means, call Scully! And where's Muldar when we need him? confused smiley

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: May 21, 2013 08:04

love all the way down,pain of love,she was hot.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 21, 2013 09:12

....geeeeeez backstreetboy1 ... great love-life ya have

ROCKMAN

Date: May 21, 2013 09:38

When someone bashes that album the threads seem to go... undercover...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 21, 2013 09:49

owlbynite
GravityBoy
By all means, call Scully! And where's Muldar when we need him? confused smiley

He's busy down below, just out of shot.

Re: Undercover
Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 21, 2013 10:01

I had to delete 3-4 threads yesterday because they were commercial i.e. pushing bootleg DVD recordings of the shows. This is both abuse of IORR and also illegal.

Bjornulf

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1528
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home