Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Alex Lifeson's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Speech
Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 21, 2013 19:50

Munichhilton
RUSH has nothing to apologize for.
Between them, the El Mocambo, and SCTV I think Canada has arrived as a super power!

We always have been.
[simple.wikipedia.org]

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 21, 2013 19:59

jamesfdouglas
Munichhilton
Between them, the El Mocambo, and SCTV I think Canada has arrived as a super power!

We always have been.
[simple.wikipedia.org]

How is it possible Tretiak is not on that list?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 21, 2013 20:00

treaclefingers
jamesfdouglas
Munichhilton

We always have been.
[simple.wikipedia.org]

Why even bring Lord Stanley's cup into this? Its been an awful long time for ya'll...

Date: May 21, 2013 21:15

Munichhilton
treaclefingers
jamesfdouglas
Munichhilton

We always have been.
[simple.wikipedia.org]

Why even bring Lord Stanley's cup into this? Its been an awful long time for ya'll...

so true...we need to repatriate all of the Canadian players on US teams back to Canada.

Date: May 21, 2013 21:18

treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
jamesfdouglas
Munichhilton

We always have been.
[simple.wikipedia.org]

so true...we need to repatriate all of the Canadian players on US teams back to Canada.

That would leave us with 3 men and a small boy...

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 21, 2013 21:30

Not funny, at all. Who is he, anyway? Never heard of him.

Date: May 21, 2013 21:31

Big Al

sorry Al...can't help ya'

Posted by: tony ()
Date: May 21, 2013 21:40

AND they have been friends and worked together harmoniously for all those years. Now THAT is refreshing and commendable. Awesome band - Neil is probably the world's greatest drummer. His book "ghost rider" is great and an insight to his intellect. This band rocks and has a sense of humor.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 21, 2013 22:30

What more could be said after Neil's amazingly eloquent speech. I thought it was perfect and funny as hell.

I agree with the comment on the B52's being inducted before Rush, what a joke!

Ok here is my Rush story: Hope your listening Max because your town is a big part of it.

My 16th birthday, Me and an equally naive friend hear they are playing in Kansas City, 120 miles away. We have no tickets and no vehicles so I decide to hotwire a 1950's GMC truck that the neighbor isn't using that night. Yikes. The optimism and daring of rock and roll youth obviously in full swing.

Once we get on the Interstate Highway (I-70) I find I have to hold the gear shift into 3rd gear or it continuously pops out. At 45 MPH max we eventually we get to the venue, a large arena with tight security and a sold out show.

We try every entrance, try to bribe cops and security, try to sneak in a dozen times but with no success. Finally we decide to try to find the truck and limp on home. But....as we are walking around the back of the place, the warmup band comes staggering out the backstage door laughing and joking and havin' a time.

I run up to them and blurt my story out making special note of the birthday part. They hear me out with good cheer and rip their (all Access - Band) passes off their jeans and hand them over. Whoo friggin Hoo!

From dejected derelict kids to part of the band in 30 seconds of luck. The band was Golden Earing and I am forever grateful for their gifts that night.

We walked in the front entrance to the amazement and frowns of the cops we had tried to bribe and the security who just booted us out and waltzed right backstage to the dressing rooms. Sat on the side of the stage for the Rush show and had a great time talking with them and sharing their amenities after the show. Alex and Niel were particularily sweet to us kids and I became an instant fan.

Althought besides Limelight and 2112 I never got totally crushed by their music I will always remember that night in KC, MO partying with Rush and gaining backstage access by a stroke of luck and alot of risk.

btw: we returned the truck without incident but I'm not sure the transmission was ever the same....

peace

Date: May 21, 2013 22:58

Naturalust

Althought besides Limelight and 2112 I never got totally crushed by their music I will always remember that night in KC, MO partying with Rush and gaining backstage access by a stroke of luck and alot of risk.

peace

Ahhhh yes...the Signals Tour. Good one. Rory Gallagher opened that show too...

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: May 21, 2013 23:06

Munichhilton
Big Al

i guess you live in a cave.

Date: May 21, 2013 23:15

RockinJive
Munichhilton
Big Al

So does batman...it ain't all bad living in a cave.

Date: May 21, 2013 23:34

treaclefingers
RockinJive
Munichhilton
Big Al

Caves have high speed internet now so blaming caves for ignorance is so neanderthal...

Date: May 21, 2013 23:52

Munichhilton
treaclefingers
RockinJive
Munichhilton
Big Al

Caves have high speed internet now so blaming caves for ignorance is so neanderthal...

I think we should lobby for a 'rim shot' emoticon...that post sorely deserves it.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 22, 2013 00:45

treaclefingers
The Sicilian
I think it is the dumbest thing I've ever seen at this awards ceremony. It is hard enough for Canadians bands to get any recognition and this guy just blazed the trail for more reasons to ignore Canadian bands. Say what you want but I think he embarrassed his band mates.

It wasn't funny at all, it was over two minutes of stupidity.

your ignorance isn't what's surprising, it's that you'd paint an entire country with the same brush.

I hope all Sicilians aren't that stupid. I'd wager they're not.

Really smart ass? How many pure Canadian bands are enshrined in the RNRHOF? The list is small enough to fit on one hand. Rush is one of the most popular bands out of Canada since the Guess Who. On that night they represented Canada and what are fans treated to but 2 1/2 minutes of blah blah, oh that is sooooo funny. But I don't need to argue with idiots.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: May 22, 2013 00:50

I guess he simply couldn't pretend the strangers were long awaited friends?

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 22, 2013 01:40

Naturalust
What more could be said after Neil's amazingly eloquent speech. I thought it was perfect and funny as hell.

I agree with the comment on the B52's being inducted before Rush, what a joke!

Ok here is my Rush story: Hope your listening Max because your town is a big part of it.

My 16th birthday, Me and an equally naive friend hear they are playing in Kansas City, 120 miles away. We have no tickets and no vehicles so I decide to hotwire a 1950's GMC truck that the neighbor isn't using that night. Yikes. The optimism and daring of rock and roll youth obviously in full swing.

Once we get on the Interstate Highway (I-70) I find I have to hold the gear shift into 3rd gear or it continuously pops out. At 45 MPH max we eventually we get to the venue, a large arena with tight security and a sold out show.

We try every entrance, try to bribe cops and security, try to sneak in a dozen times but with no success. Finally we decide to try to find the truck and limp on home. But....as we are walking around the back of the place, the warmup band comes staggering out the backstage door laughing and joking and havin' a time.

I run up to them and blurt my story out making special note of the birthday part. They hear me out with good cheer and rip their (all Access - Band) passes off their jeans and hand them over. Whoo friggin Hoo!

From dejected derelict kids to part of the band in 30 seconds of luck. The band was Golden Earing and I am forever grateful for their gifts that night.

We walked in the front entrance to the amazement and frowns of the cops we had tried to bribe and the security who just booted us out and waltzed right backstage to the dressing rooms. Sat on the side of the stage for the Rush show and had a great time talking with them and sharing their amenities after the show. Alex and Niel were particularily sweet to us kids and I became an instant fan.

btw: we returned the truck without incident but I'm not sure the transmission was ever the same....

peace

Awesome story NL, thanks for taking us along with you.
And everyone remember... the harder you work, the luckier you get.

Date: May 22, 2013 01:53

The Sicilian
treaclefingers
The Sicilian
I think it is the dumbest thing I've ever seen at this awards ceremony. It is hard enough for Canadians bands to get any recognition and this guy just blazed the trail for more reasons to ignore Canadian bands. Say what you want but I think he embarrassed his band mates.

It wasn't funny at all, it was over two minutes of stupidity.

your ignorance isn't what's surprising, it's that you'd paint an entire country with the same brush.

I hope all Sicilians aren't that stupid. I'd wager they're not.

Really smart ass? How many pure Canadian bands are enshrined in the RNRHOF? The list is small enough to fit on one hand. Rush is one of the most popular bands out of Canada since the Guess Who. On that night they represented Canada and what are fans treated to but 2 1/2 minutes of blah blah, oh that is sooooo funny. But I don't need to argue with idiots.

Thanks for your reply "The Sicilian".

Hard to figure an appropriate response to your 'contribution', but I will try a quote from someone I think wise,

"your ignorance isn't what's surprising, it's that you'd paint an entire country with the same brush.

I hope all Sicilians aren't that stupid. I'd wager they're not."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-22 01:54 by treaclefingers.

Date: May 22, 2013 01:58

You idiots are bringing Alex down...I won't have you ruining the perfect day he doesn't care about...

Date: May 22, 2013 01:59

GO SNOW DOG!!!

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: May 22, 2013 02:32

backstreetboy1
stupid.and there not rock and roll,they suck.

And Public Enemy is.

Date: May 22, 2013 02:36

For backstreet boy... Open your ears

Date: May 22, 2013 02:48

Munichhilton
You idiots are bringing Alex down...I won't have you ruining the perfect day he doesn't care about...

OK, as I've just scored 85s to Toronto June 6 I'll play nice.

I wonder if Alex will guest on guitar?!

Posted by: winter ()
Date: May 22, 2013 02:52

Max'sKansasCity
GO SNOW DOG!!!

I love the live version on All the World's A Stage. That and Moving Pictures are the only ones I have left in vinyl.

The first three songs someone showed me how to play on acoustic guitar were Rush songs. I hadn't heard of them yet and my friend didn't sing any words or anything; he was just showing me how to play the songs. I just assumed they were a folk-rock band. Needless to say, when I heard the records later...

I believe they once said early on that they were forging a blend of Yes and Zep.

Date: May 22, 2013 02:57

please note at 5:25

Date: May 22, 2013 02:59

treaclefingers
Munichhilton

If you get early confirmation I will fly to Toronto...and no airplane will be involved...He does a mean version of Paint It Black...go look at Toronto Rocks!

Date: May 22, 2013 03:15

winter
Max'sKansasCity
GO SNOW DOG!!!

I love the live version on All the World's A Stage. That and Moving Pictures are the only ones I have left in vinyl.

The first three songs someone showed me how to play on acoustic guitar were Rush songs. I hadn't heard of them yet and my friend didn't sing any words or anything; he was just showing me how to play the songs. I just assumed they were a folk-rock band. Needless to say, when I heard the records later...

What a cool way to do it.... learn the songs first and then hear the band play them, that had to be thrilling when you first heard cranking a song you already knew, but not from them. I imagine you are a great guitar player these days, that is a great way start.

Date: May 22, 2013 03:17

Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton

If you get early confirmation I will fly to Toronto...and no airplane will be involved... [/b]!

I might suggest you Fly By Night.

Date: May 22, 2013 03:18

Max'sKansasCity
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton

If you get early confirmation I will fly to Toronto...and no airplane will be involved... [/b]!

I might suggest you Fly By Night.

nice...I'll be playing YYZ in my Red Barchetta all the way to the 'Lighted Stage'.

Date: May 22, 2013 03:18

Has BTO not yet been inducted in that "tourist attraction and rock and rap museum" in Cleveland yet?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2017
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home