Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Which Stones song put the hook in you?
Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: May 25, 2013 03:41

The Last Time - 1966

I was 11 y.o.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: May 25, 2013 05:59

It's shocking to hear how young some of you are! lol

I suppose that I was 'haunted' by Satisfaction and Honky Tonk Woman. I didn't really know who the Stones were, I got caught up in the Beatles wave and my older sisters didn't have any Stones albums. But those two songs were in my subconscious because I had to have heard them on the radio. There was some kind of "street-level gut feel" about the Roliing Stones music that I felt that no other music did to me. But who was it in my subconscious that was doing this to me?

Then in grade 8 (1971) my new friend told me the Beatles were passe and the Stones were what was in. So then over the course of 1-2 years there was a wave of Hot Rocks, GYYYO, Sicky Fingers, Beggar's Banquet, and EOMS. So I can't say that there was one particular song, just a "catch up wave" and I was a fan.

Certainly GYYYO and Hot Rocks is a one-two punch that's hard to resist.

Posted by: SixesandSevens ()
Date: May 25, 2013 06:10

My parents owned an original vinyl copy of Sticky Fingers. When I was in my early teens, I put it on the record player one afternoon out of curiosity. After fifteen seconds it was clear there was no going back to Michael Jackson or Genesis or whatever pop rubbish I'd been listening to. That combination of brazen sleaze and ineffable beauty made the world of eighties pop irrelevant at a single stoke. Still hooked today.

Date: May 25, 2013 06:33

BILLPERKS
EMOTIONAL RESCUE-6TH GRADE
COOLEST SONG EVER
STILL IS.

That song is one of their best, and I stand by that statement. Definitely hoping it's not permanently dumped from the tour; every Youtube version I've watched/listened to REALLY cooks live. My buddy went to the concert in Oakland and said it was a definite highlight; being a bassist, he was already a BIG fan of that song, thanks to my introducing it to him!

Date: May 25, 2013 06:44

triceratops
Green Lady
stringpull
"Tell Me" Bills bass string hiccups. And then saw them on the Mike Douglas Show, I didnt know white people were allowed to play Chuck Berry. That was that. The Beatles were for the girls but the Stones were for boys.

My goodness - I've been loving the wrong band for fifty years!

Good for you but we all know the Beatles demographic always skewed more female than the Stones. The Stones wrote misogynist tunes that the Beatles never did. The Stones had an edge and then in the UK you had the refrain--

"Would you allow your daughter to marry a Rolling Stone?"

The Beatles, via John Lennon, actually wrote songs as much or *more* misogynistic than The Stones. "You Can't Do That," for one, and for two, the Stones NEVER wrote something as messed up lyrically as "Run For Your Life," about how John wants to kill his girlfriend. When he sings "rather see you DEAD" his voice cracks creepily and it's very convincing. The song has amazing harmonies, for those alone it's my fave on Rubber Soul (I'm a music-first guy, don't care too much about lyrics if the music's great), but lyrically it's disturbing. Sure the Stones had "Rambler" but that song is a character piece, it doesn't sound autobiographical. Considering John consistently admitted to beating women throughout his adolescence and early adulthood in interview after interview, it genuinely *is* autobiographical. Then there's his sole lyrical contribution to "Getting Better" (other than "can't get no worse" ) which is

I used to be cruel to my woman
I beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved
Man I was mean but I'm changing my scene
And I'm doing the best that I can

The tamboura comes in playing a really dark drone during those lines and it's hilarious to me that people consistently gloss over those lyrics and idolize this man, putting him on a pedestal when musical contributions of the level of genius he displayed between 1963 and 1969 (can't stand his solo work--it sucks, including Imagine) while working with Macca should not replace ACTUAL ACTIONS IN LIFE. Tortured childhood or no, the man beat women and admitted to it. That doesn't make you a great "crusader for peace," that makes you a hypocrite. Anyway, way off topic here at this point of the rant, but The Beatles (John) DID write misogynistic tunes and some were more offensive in that regard than the Stones', which honestly always had a sense of tongue-firmly-in-cheek about them.

Date: May 25, 2013 06:57

My parents best friends were HUGE Stones fans and the first Stones song I can ever remember hearing is one which today remains my favorite Stones rocker and favorite stones riff:

Dancing With Mr. D.

They played Goats Head Soup and Emotional Rescue on cassette a LOT in their truck when we went on camping trips together during my early childhood.

That said, when I *really* got hooked, which is what you're asking for, was when the same friends of my parents gave me a 60 minute compilation they had made and titled Best Of Blues. It featured tracks exclusively from Beggars, Bleed and Fingers and began with THE song that got me hooked, at the tender young age of 8 in 1989 (I'm actually a 1980 baby but my birthday's in September and this was earlier in 1989):

Gimme Shelter.

That song positively changed my life! I wanted to hear everything this band made once exposed to "GS" and the accompanying mixed tape.

So those are my two hooks, of sorts. First song I can remember hearing and liking, and first song I can remember hearing that overnight turned me into a VERY obsessive fan. In 4th grade somewhere between 1989 and 1990 I remember my younger brother walking in on me bashing a drum pad with a pair of drumsticks and headbanging to "Monkey Man," which was on the aforementioned Best Of Blues compilation, mouthing the words. He gave me a weird look and I declared "I'm a Rolling Stone, maaaaaaan!"

One final early-Stones-memories anecdote for ya . . . I had 33 Stones albums on vinyl by the time I was in 6th grade (bought mostly with allowance money or received as gifts from parents etc.). One of the final ones I got was Undercover from my parents for my 10th birthday. I had tween friends at the time who were already horny as hell, so to impress them, I told them about the album cover of an album I was pretty sure I was getting for my birthday. My (idiotic) friend Alex leaned over and whispered all too audibly at said birthday party dinner "are you getting the album with the nasty cover?!" My mom had stern words with my dad after the party and I was given a talk from Dad about how I "wasn't mature enough yet for this album cover" and I had to go out, buy a blank album sleeve, and make my OWN Undercover cover with markers, the deal being that on my THIRTEENTH birthday I could get Undercover's actual jacket back. HAHAHAHAHAHA! I knew where they hid it and would sneak into the chest it was hiding in and look at it when they weren't home anyway. Ah, adolescence . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-25 07:01 by CanYouHearTheMusic.

Date: May 25, 2013 06:59

1978 Miss You on AM transistor radio late at night on (I think) WABC radio in New York. I loved the song so I checked out some of the Stones records fortunately from the Brian Jones golden era and stuck gold. The Last Time (my all time favorite Stones song) Play With Fire and Get Off My Cloud are what really got me hooked.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-25 07:00 by its good to be anywhere.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: May 25, 2013 07:02

Play with Fire...it's so menacing...

You've got your pretty clothes...but don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire...
And your father would be there with her - if he only could...

Now she gets her kicks in Stepney - not in Knightsbridge anymore...

You better watch your step girl or start living with your mother. smoking smiley

Posted by: tommyquinn ()
Date: May 25, 2013 07:17

There were a lot that I liked before, but it is ROCKS OFF that really did it for me. What an opening track!! It is so perfect, I could listen to it over and over on repeat and never get sick of it.(The Exile version of course, not the abomination on the LIVE LICKS double LP) I still get goosebumps everytime I hear it. And probably will til the day I die. That song cemented my everlasting devotion to the Stones, their music and their live shows. And I even got sucked into the lifestyle for a while, but that is for another thread on another day.

I don't just listen to the Stones, I have a bunch of fave bands, but RS will always be #1. Going to the show tomorrow, just got to Toronto and as excited as can be.

Oops, sorry for "too much detail"... I got excited and my fingers were over-eager. Rock on, guys and gaLS!

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: May 25, 2013 07:21

tommyquinn
There were a lot that I liked before, but it is ROCKS OFF that really did it for me. What an opening track!! It is so perfect, I could listen to it over and over on repeat and never get sick of it.(The Exile version of course, not the abomination on the LIVE LICKS double LP) I still get goosebumps everytime I hear it. And probably will til the day I die. That song cemented my everlasting devotion to the Stones, their music and their live shows. And I even got sucked into the lifestyle for a while, but that is for another thread on another day.

I don't just listen to the Stones, I have a bunch of fave bands, but RS will always be #1. Going to the show tomorrow, just got to Toronto and as excited as can be.

Oops, sorry for "too much detail"... I got excited and my fingers were over-eager. Rock on, guys and gaLS!
That's an amazing song - great pick. And as the duke said - never apologize - it's a sign of weakness. Rock on. smoking smiley

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: May 25, 2013 08:41

i was an avid Beatle fan, then that great bass line in 19th changed everything.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: May 25, 2013 08:58

You Got Me Rocking.

I'm serious. The DJ on the radio played it pre-VL release. I think it was in June 1994, and I was 17 years old. It blew my mind when I realized they were still making music (I'd only heard the Hot Rocks type stuff, so I thought they hadn't really been active since the '60s). I went to my first show in November and never looked back.

I still love Voodoo Lounge.

Posted by: rtr ()
Date: May 25, 2013 09:23

I bought "England's Newest Hit Makers" when it was released, but it was Around and Around, (also in '64), when I was 11. Actually, pretty much all of "12 X 5" and "Now" started me on the way to being a lifelong fan. I was in the 15th row at the unannounced '78 Ft. Worth, TX show at Will Rogers (tickets were for the London Green Shoed Cowboys)! It was incredible and finished the deal for me. It also made me a huge fan of Keith and Ronnie playing off of each other. (I didn't, and haven't missed M.T. at all)!

Date: May 25, 2013 10:15

rtr
I bought "England's Newest Hit Makers" when it was released, but it was Around and Around, (also in '64), when I was 11. Actually, pretty much all of "12 X 5" and "Now" started me on the way to being a lifelong fan. I was in the 15th row at the unannounced '78 Ft. Worth, TX show at Will Rogers (tickets were for the London Green Shoed Cowboys)! It was incredible and finished the deal for me. It also made me a huge fan of Keith and Ronnie playing off of each other. (I didn't, and haven't missed M.T. at all)!
Great postsmileys with beer

Posted by: tiffjagger ()
Date: May 25, 2013 11:08

I guess I've listened to the Stones since birth. Mom saw them in '65 at the San Jose Civic for $2.50. Dad was at Altamont. My parent's album collection stopped at around Satanic Majesties, not sure why. I used to play December's Children and Aftermath over and over by 3rd grade in 1977. I'm guessing "Paint it Black" is what really got me early on as a 9 year old.
Then in '78 we went to my parents friend's party and they had "Some Girls" and I went nuts, loved the whole album. A couple days later my Mom said she was going to the record store to buy that album from the party. I was thrilled until she brought back the "Eagles Greatest Hits". It was then that I realised I was way cooler then my Mom...
I once got in a bidding war with a shirtless scary biker at a flea market over a copy of "Sticky Fingers". I think I was 10 or 11. I won!

Posted by: tiffjagger ()
Date: May 25, 2013 11:24

tommyquinn

Oh yes!!! I can sometimes replay the begining a few times before I listen to the whole song. Mick's voice in that song sends chills down my back everytime I hear it. I love the lyrics so much...so visceral. I wish they would of played it at the 2nd Anaheim show.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: May 25, 2013 11:37

tiffjagger
I guess I've listened to the Stones since birth. Mom saw them in '65 at the San Jose Civic for $2.50. Dad was at Altamont. My parent's album collection stopped at around Satanic Majesties, not sure why. I used to play December's Children and Aftermath over and over by 3rd grade in 1977. I'm guessing "Paint it Black" is what really got me early on as a 9 year old.
Then in '78 we went to my parents friend's party and they had "Some Girls" and I went nuts, loved the whole album. A couple days later my Mom said she was going to the record store to buy that album from the party. I was thrilled until she brought back the "Eagles Greatest Hits". It was then that I realised I was way cooler then my Mom...
I once got in a bidding war with a shirtless scary biker at a flea market over a copy of "Sticky Fingers". I think I was 10 or 11. I won!

Funny story (the Eagles!)

Posted by: EG1964 ()
Date: May 25, 2013 11:58

Lady Jane...

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: May 25, 2013 12:09

Start me up! and it's still my favorite Stones song.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 25, 2013 14:17

Cool stories here! Keep 'em coming!

I mentioned above that it was "Start Me Up" that made it. Yeah, that's true in the sense that it made me buy TATTOO YOU, and listening that strange album - it was totally new music for me then - day by day, night by night, hypnozised me, and the life never been the same since.

But I recall digging "Paint It Black" before that. There was some TV advertisement for BEST OF THE ROLLING STONES collection (I guess that was in 1980), and a few secs of that tune just stick to mind. I didn't even knew the title of the song until I randomly bought STONE AGE - it was probably my second Stones album after TATTOO YOU, and it was there.

Funnily, I am so pure member of "Start Me Up" generation, that I didn't know anything about the Stones before it. There was not much Stones around then, or if there was, I was totally ignorant. Never heard of "Satisfaction" or "Honky Tonk Women" or "Brown Sugar" etc. All that became after TATTOO YOU (pretty quickly). Actually I didn't know much about anything what later was to be called "classic rock"; I was just following the scene - like all the kids around me - that took place then late 70's/early 80's, of which punk had a strong role. But also, funnily, in Finland there was a huge rock-a-billy movement around the time, through which I became awere of the old 50's rock and roll (including Chuck Berry). It was funny time - the punks and teddy boys were fighting against ecah other, but both of them thought that all the 60's and early/mid 70's long hair "hippie" music was as uncool as it ever can be.

- Doxa

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 25, 2013 14:31

Right there, as earlier stated for me it was Shes So Cold, but for our generation, it was a pretty fertile time........ER, TY and SL.....Bam Bam Bam, in about two years, the big deal of the 81' tour......Not a terrible time to come in. I bought Exile early, and didn't get it, LOL! Finally at about 14, I dropped the needle and let it play. Now Rocks Off is one of my alltime favorites......great song. Like Doxa, I had heard the hits on the radio, but never asked who it was.........until the hook was set. Love reading these stories!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 25, 2013 15:33

Yep, it was a pretty fertile time. What I find cool, or why I was hooked, was that how great the band was at the time, in that context. They were as relevant as any contemporary act at the time. Even though I said TATTOO YOU was "strange music", it was still formally okay. All those albums, SOME GIRLS, EMOTIONAL RESCUE, TATTOO YOU, and STILL LIFE were okay by day's standards, and even to a trained punk eye, which hates all the progressive rock, pseudo-artist, egomaniac solo guitarists, etc. Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood were perfect guitarists for the taste of the age. Keith was THE guitarist then, a real hero.

Funny feature - if I may continue going autobiographical - is that my initial impression in TATTOO YOU was that how "slow" the music was - I was used to more faster, way more faster tempos by then. And it was not the B-side, but A-side as well! grinning smiley But it was the thing called "groove" I wasn't familiar with earlier.

Anyway, for the Finns here, there is a little piece I wrote in Finnish about those times for one Stones happening in 2005. Pitäkää hauskaa!winking smiley

[takamaapop.org]

- Doxa

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 25, 2013 16:17

Doxa
Yep, it was a pretty fertile time. What I find cool, or why I was hooked, was that how great the band was at the time, in that context. They were as relevant as any contemporary act at the time. Even though I said TATTOO YOU was "strange music", it was still formally okay. All those albums, SOME GIRLS, EMOTIONAL RESCUE, TATTOO YOU, and STILL LIFE were okay by day's standards, and even to a trained punk eye, which hates all the progressive rock, pseudo-artist, egomaniac solo guitarists, etc. Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood were perfect guitarists for the taste of the age. Keith was THE guitarist then, a real hero.

Funny feature - if I may continue going autobiographical - is that my initial impression in TATTOO YOU was that how "slow" the music was - I was used to more faster, way more faster tempos by then. And it was not the B-side, but A-side as well! grinning smiley But it was the thing called "groove" I wasn't familiar with earlier.

Anyway, for the Finns here, there is a little piece I wrote in Finnish about those times for one Stones happening in 2005. Pitäkää hauskaa!winking smiley

[takamaapop.org]

I think that was Ronnies gift......he brought in the OTHER black music styles; I don't love disco, but he was funky as hell....good wwith reggae. I am currently wondering if it isn't time to move away from SG and more into "our" period. They have mined SG pretty heavily from NS on. Speaking of funky ronnie, I would trade Dance for Miss You in a heartbeat.

- Doxa

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: May 26, 2013 14:50

Hand of fate, Crazy Mama, Memory motel. Black and Blue was my first encounter at the age of 12.

Posted by: twinkie ()
Date: May 26, 2013 16:15

By far Beast Of Burden 1978 , 17 Years old , A song you hear the very 1st time and you swear you heard it all your life !!!

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1563
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home