Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Which Stones song put the hook in you?
Posted by: johnh ()
Date: May 20, 2013 17:39

Hi, interesting answers smiling smiley mine is "Miss You".... bought on pink vinyl with "Far away eyes" on the B side
john

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 20, 2013 18:44

johnh
Hi, interesting answers smiling smiley mine is "Miss You".... bought on pink vinyl with "Far away eyes" on the B side
john

i bought that one too.
wonder how much its worth now.
Jeroen

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: May 20, 2013 18:50

A lot of people speak about she's so cold................

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 20, 2013 18:51

KeithNacho
A lot of people speak about she's so cold................

I'm the original...

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 20, 2013 20:23

Considering I started the thread with a SSC story.....

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 20, 2013 20:59

Thrylan, if this goes to court, I'll be your witness!

Date: May 20, 2013 21:18

stonesrule
Thrylan, if this goes to court, I'll be your witness!

Not that I care, but, it makes you wonder about our attention spa-.....Hey, a truck!

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: May 20, 2013 22:03

"Bye bye johnny" first song on the first french stones EP....

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: May 20, 2013 22:43

Doxa
"Start Me Up" in 1981.

- Doxa

Same here

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: May 20, 2013 23:48

There's a few, actually...limiting to just one is tough to do.

I'd go with 'Street Fighting Man.'

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 21, 2013 00:12

Honky Tonk. the words were very dangerous when I was 10 years old.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 21, 2013 00:47

....still are if your 110 yr old ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: May 21, 2013 01:54

I was raised around a music lifestyle. I had been an Elvis Presley nut since I was a baby and had all his records. I grew up with country music like Merle Haggard and George Jones and rock and roll greatest hits albums like the Beatles, Ricky Nelson, Buddy Holly. Then at 10, I started getting tired of Elvis all the time, so I got into Bruce Springsteen's Born In The USA as well as Brian Adams' Reckless album.

The first I ever heard of or saw of the Stones was the Start Me Up video. I totally hated it! 8 year old me thought that Mick was a weirdo gay person. When I told my family members about seeing the video they laughed when I did my impression of him. I must have seen this video in about 1983 on some video show hosted by Casey Casem.

What really did it for me was when I first saw the video for Harlem Shuffle in 86 or so. Not only did I love the song, but when I saw Keith, I thought, here is the coolest and most dangerous guitar player and human being ever. I thought he was the bomb! I started playing the guitar thanks to Keith, as I am sure thousands of others did as well.

But seeing Keith in that video, and seeing Mick in a different light, changed my life. I started reading any book I could find in the library and I started collecting every album I could get my hands on and I would sit by the radio and tape any song that came on that sounded like the Rolling Stones. I first heard Miss You, Satisfaction, and Honky Tonk Women this way, then I played them over and over again until I got enough money to buy all their albums. I loved every song.

When I saw the Start Me Up video a few years later, I thought there wasn't a cooler person on earth than Keith Richards. It still amazes me. There is not a person on this earth who looks better with a guitar in their hands than Keith.

But basically, Harlem Shuffle did it for me. It was the gateway song.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 21, 2013 01:56

Paint It, Black from my dad's scratchy copy of Big Hits (High Tide And Green Grass).

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: May 21, 2013 01:58

corriecas
johnh
john

i bought that one too.
wonder how much its worth now.
Jeroen

The vinyl of which you speak was so mass produced that it's value isn't very high . You can get these for anywhere between $10 - $15 US . Sometimes cheaper .

Posted by: WindyHorses ()
Date: May 21, 2013 02:41

Come On
He He He...I hear the clic clac of your feet on the stairs....

I forgot how very sexy Mick was in the old days.cool smiley

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: May 21, 2013 03:39

Was a little kid when they made it big in the 60s...Mother's Little Helper, 19th Nervous Breakdown, All Over Now..thumbs up

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: May 21, 2013 03:44

Back in 64....Not Fade Away, Tell Me, and...The Last Time...certainly caught my 11 year old attention back then, kind of addicted till about 1973.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: May 21, 2013 03:58

Start me up got me hooked on the stones.Tattoo You was my 1st album

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Date: May 21, 2013 08:20

sanQ
I was raised around a music lifestyle. I had been an Elvis Presley nut since I was a baby and had all his records. I grew up with country music like Merle Haggard and George Jones and rock and roll greatest hits albums like the Beatles, Ricky Nelson, Buddy Holly. Then at 10, I started getting tired of Elvis all the time, so I got into Bruce Springsteen's Born In The USA as well as Brian Adams' Reckless album.

The first I ever heard of or saw of the Stones was the8 Start Me Up video. I totally hated it! 8 year old me thought that Mick was a weirdo gay person. When I told my family members about seeing the video they laughed when I did my impression of him. I must have seen this video in about 1983 on some video show hosted by Casey Casem.

What really did it for me was when I first saw the video for Harlem Shuffle in 86 or so. Not only did I love the song, but when I saw Keith, I thought, here is the coolest and most dangerous guitar player and human being ever. I thought he was the bomb! I started playing the guitar thanks to Keith, as I am sure thousands of others did as well.

But seeing Keith in that video, and seeing Mick in a different light, changed my life. I started reading any book I could find in the library and I started collecting every album I could get my hands on and I would sit by the radio and tape any song that came on that sounded like the Rolling Stones. I first heard Miss You, Satisfaction, and Honky Tonk Women this way, then I played them over and over again until I got enough money to buy all their albums. I loved every song.

When I saw the Start Me Up video a few years later, I thought there wasn't a cooler person on earth than Keith Richards. It still amazes me. There is not a person on this earth who looks better with a guitar in their hands than Keith.

But basically, Harlem Shuffle did it for me. It was the gateway song.

Cool story.......thanks. it was a one song thing for me. When I heard Shes so cold I was 8-9. My mother and I were eating pizza, it came on the jukebox, and I was floored! I immediately asked who this was. It was the first time I ever asked that question, I wanted to know who the hell that was! She explained, gave some history and bought me ER. I went home, put it on, hung the poster and began an ongoing 31 year guitar lesson with Keith.

Posted by: STONESFAN4LIFE ()
Date: May 23, 2013 06:25

That's easy. Two songs actually. It was in 1964 when I first heard "Not Fade Away" and "Tell Me" on the radio. Might have been on WABC in New York or CHUM in Toronto. "Borrowed" some cash from my mother's purse and headed down to "Sam The Record Man" on Yonge Street for the 45's.

Date: May 23, 2013 07:27

"Borrowed" money Stones........always hot.

Posted by: mgshorr ()
Date: May 25, 2013 01:14

I can't remember the first time I heard the Stones and realized it was them, but I can remember the first riff I ever heard them play live -- Jumpin' Jack Flash in Baltimore 2006.

Anyone remember the opening video for A Bigger Bang Tour? I still get goosebumps when I imagine the tourbus coming at you on the screen and then Keith hits the first line of JJF.

Dah Dah Da-na-na Da-na-na.....

That's how I got hooked.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 25, 2013 01:28

Congratulations....flip side of Time Is On My Side....I was 11.....wore outt hat record!

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: May 25, 2013 01:33

They had me with 'You Better Move On' way back in 1964, followed closely by 'Tell Me' and I've never looked back since! grinning smiley

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: May 25, 2013 01:51

honky tonk woman to me the best song they ever did classic intro

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 25, 2013 02:02

jumpin jack flash.

the promo video which i saw on "the rock and roll years" depicting 1968, i saw it in 1987 and was intrigued not only by the sound but by the way the band looked, they seemed to have this menace that others didnt have, was hooked from that moment.

Posted by: Jayce ()
Date: May 25, 2013 02:46

I was 12 in 1981, and my older brother had just suddenly died at 15. We had always been Beatles freaks, but in his last year or so, he had started to branch out into other music, which was okay with me -- except for one band: the Rolling Stones. Being so young, I had bought into that nonsense about the "hated rivalry" between the two bands. I was very critical of my brother, and very confused; how could he be so disloyal to the Beatles? I refused to listen when he told me how great the Stones were, and would never listen to those "bad guys."

A few days before he died, my brother had recorded a broadcast of a documentary called "The Rock Years" that aired on 102.7 WNEW-FM New York in the early spring of 1981. He taped the episode devoted to "The Rock Year 1967" by putting the recorder in front of the stereo speakers; this way, it recorded background noise of the room as well. After he died, the cassettes - 120 minute Concertape cassettes - just sat in his room gathering dust. But that summer, a few months after his death, I discovered that tape of 1967 and started to play it. I found that I really liked it -- so much of the music it was playing on the show was just great -- "Sgt.Pepper," the Airplane, the Doors, Hendrix, etc.

Then came the section devoted to the Rolling Stones. After a commercial break, the narrator came on and said, "It was the Rock Year 1967, and the Rolling Stones released a song about a famous groupie - 'Ruby Tuesday'." The song started to play, but there was no way I was going to listen to the Stones. I moved toward the tape recorder to fast forward the tape. Just as I was about to push the button, the chorus came in - and remember the bit above about hearing the background noise? Well, I heard some background noise: my brother singing along with the chorus. Every time the chorus kicked in, there he was, singing right along.

I must have listened to that recording of "Ruby Tuesday" a thousand times that summer.

That's how my brother got me into the Stones.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 25, 2013 03:28

Jayce
I was 12 in 1981, and my older brother had just suddenly died at 15. We had always been Beatles freaks, but in his last year or so, he had started to branch out into other music, which was okay with me -- except for one band: the Rolling Stones. Being so young, I had bought into that nonsense about the "hated rivalry" between the two bands. I was very critical of my brother, and very confused; how could he be so disloyal to the Beatles? I refused to listen when he told me how great the Stones were, and would never listen to those "bad guys."

A few days before he died, my brother had recorded a broadcast of a documentary called "The Rock Years" that aired on 102.7 WNEW-FM New York in the early spring of 1981. He taped the episode devoted to "The Rock Year 1967" by putting the recorder in front of the stereo speakers; this way, it recorded background noise of the room as well. After he died, the cassettes - 120 minute Concertape cassettes - just sat in his room gathering dust. But that summer, a few months after his death, I discovered that tape of 1967 and started to play it. I found that I really liked it -- so much of the music it was playing on the show was just great -- "Sgt.Pepper," the Airplane, the Doors, Hendrix, etc.

Then came the section devoted to the Rolling Stones. After a commercial break, the narrator came on and said, "It was the Rock Year 1967, and the Rolling Stones released a song about a famous groupie - 'Ruby Tuesday'." The song started to play, but there was no way I was going to listen to the Stones. I moved toward the tape recorder to fast forward the tape. Just as I was about to push the button, the chorus came in - and remember the bit above about hearing the background noise? Well, I heard some background noise: my brother singing along with the chorus. Every time the chorus kicked in, there he was, singing right along.

I must have listened to that recording of "Ruby Tuesday" a thousand times that summer.

That's how my brother got me into the Stones.

Amazing story Jayce, thanks for sharing it.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: May 25, 2013 03:32

I had older sisters who were Beatles fans but the first time I heard Satisfaction on the radio I was forever a Stones fan. I was eight years old and didn't even know what they were singing about but that groove got a hold of me and hasn't let go. Thank you Keith for waking up and recording that riff.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2118
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home