Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Chuck's keyboards in the RS live sound
Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 17, 2013 16:06

Based on SFTD video, where me and others boarders think that the rhythm guitar kind of disappeared in favour of Chuck's keyboards, what do you think about the place of the keyboards in the Stones live sound ?

Often, I regret that Chuck plays today what Ronnie and Keith do not play more. Stu and Nicky Hopkins (piano players) completed the sound by little touch, Chuck seems to be more a palliative.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-17 16:09 by roby.

Re: Chuck's keyboards in the RS live sound
Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: May 17, 2013 16:11

I just never understand why he doesn't play a real piano?! Always a keyboard simulation of one.

Date: May 17, 2013 16:15

Simple, a keyboard can replace a guitar or any other instrument...

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 17, 2013 16:18

Roll73
I just never understand why he doesn't play a real piano?! Always a keyboard simulation of one.

One of the great mysteries of life indeed. He has to carry the rhythm these days , without making the band seem piano driven, which is why the they kind of sound like the Stones but not really. That and the lack of Keith's harmony vocals.

Date: May 17, 2013 16:28

The keyboard change a lot the live band sound IMO. Less guitars. Less rock'n roll sound, and for sure, much much less roots sound...

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 17, 2013 16:36

chuck and his keyboard ARE the stones

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 17, 2013 16:38

GRNRBITW

Are you Chuck's mom?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 17, 2013 16:41

Dammit Chuck's Mom!!!

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: May 17, 2013 16:44

At this point, they should go ahead & make Chuck an official member. And Lisa & Darryl too. And bring back Blondie.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 17, 2013 16:45

Devil is the only song where the KB are prominent. In all other cases, the stones remain a guitar driven band.

As for why they don't use a real piano, this is the obvious question that is never asked to CL in the 1,000 interviews he gives every year.

C

Date: May 17, 2013 16:45

GravityBoy
GRNRBITW

Are you Chuck's mom?

not by birth

Date: May 17, 2013 16:46

liddas
Devil is the only song where the KB are prominent. In all other cases, the stones remain a guitar driven band.

As for why they don't use a real piano, this is the obvious question that is never asked to CL in the 1,000 interviews he gives every year.

C

Guitar driven? Really? In 2013? Mick has revoked Keith's drivers license in my humble opinion...

Date: May 17, 2013 16:48

liddas

C

even if his piano isn't real, chuck is the real deal.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 17, 2013 17:00

MILKYWAY

At this point, they should go ahead & make Chuck an official member. And Lisa & Darryl too. And bring back Blondie.

Bobby Keys first...

Date: May 17, 2013 17:07

No sorry, there is a real lack of guitars in the rhythm section... And this is really increase in 2013.

liddas

C

Posted by: 999 ()
Date: May 17, 2013 17:18

Roll73

He doesn't play a real piano because that's his employer's request.
Mick & Keith are to blame for this terrible choice, not Chuck...

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: May 17, 2013 18:22

Roll73

He doesn't play a real piano because that's his employer's request.
Mick & Keith are to blame for this terrible choice, not Chuck...

Not blaming Chuck. It is, as you say, a terrible choice. I understand that a Keyboard gives more flexibility for other kinds of sounds - but it's not like they're stuck for space on those huge stages. All he'd have to do is wheel his office chair over a few feet to switch from one to another.

If Ian Stewart was still around there would be some thick ears being administered!

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: May 17, 2013 18:30

shortfatfanny
MILKYWAY

Bobby Keys first...

Sorry, SFF. Never liked him. BK always came off as being an obnoxious frat-boy. I am sorry the Stones took him back after the bathtub-filled-with-champagne fiasco.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 17, 2013 18:36

roby
No sorry, there is a real lack of guitars in the rhythm section... And this is really increase in 2013.

liddas

C

I remember when Woody joined the band for the '75 tour, Keith talking in interviews about how they were a "guitar-driven band" again. People should listen to LA Friday to hear what a guitar-driven band sounds like. You can hear all the riffs Keith and Woody used to play, but don't anymore.

Date: May 17, 2013 18:36

MILKYWAY
shortfatfanny
MILKYWAY

Bobby Keys first...

Sorry, SFF. Never liked him. BK always came off as being an obnoxious frat-boy. I am sorry the Stones took him back after the bathtub-filled-with-champagne fiasco.

you name me a better bathtub-filled-with-champagne incident

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: May 17, 2013 18:45

He played a real piano in 1982...and did it help any?

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 17, 2013 18:52

Speaking for myself, I wish there was no piano in "Little Red Rooster" (especially the intro) and "Midnight Rambler". The piano in "Honky Tonk" sounds awful to me, especially the same damn solo every time.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 17, 2013 18:54

Chuck Leavell's keyboards are too prominent in the mix, particularly in SFTD. SFTD should be a guitar driven track. Since 89 it is unfortunately a drum sample and piano track. And in general I hate the plink plonk attitude of Chuck. He might be a nice guy like his piano style, but his piano style doesn't fit to the dark and dangerous momentum of the Stones music. E.g. to play on MR a honky tonk piano is a complete mess I think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-17 18:55 by RobertJohnson.

Date: May 17, 2013 18:55

bleedingman
Speaking for myself, I wish there was no piano in "Little Red Rooster" (especially the intro) and "Midnight Rambler". The piano in "Honky Tonk" sounds awful to me, especially the same damn solo every time.

what about the same damned (only worse) guitar solo? how does that sound?

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 17, 2013 18:58

GRNRBITW
bleedingman

what about the same damned (only worse) guitar solo? how does that sound?

I may disagree with your opinion but I will fight to the death for your right to express it. This is a "Chuck" thread at any rate.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: May 17, 2013 19:09

roby
Based on SFTD video, where me and others boarders think that the rhythm guitar kind of disappeared in favour of Chuck's keyboards, what do you think about the place of the keyboards in the Stones live sound ?

Often, I regret that Chuck plays today what Ronnie and Keith do not play more. Stu and Nicky Hopkins (piano players) completed the sound by little touch, Chuck seems to be more a palliative.

I actually hope that Chuck would drop dead...well, not really ....but nobody needs to hear him. Totally waste of space on stage. One of those musicans that turned The Stones into a Vegas act - if you removed him, shot him or dumped him out of the tourbus and left him alone on the wilderness in Alaska - the Stones would sound much better.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: May 17, 2013 19:10

Roll73

I dont understand why he even bothers to come up on stage, mediocre player that sounds like crap.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 17, 2013 19:23

Yikes, you guys are rough, and not accurate. There are only a few songs, like HTW where Chuck is way up in the mix/ or featured. I hardly notice him! Keyboards louder than the guitars?? What are you all listening to?
If it were NOT for Chuck, there would be NO gems, no new songs introduced into the set list. I think people complain just for the HELL of it. Cheer up, Chuck and the Stones will soon never be seen live again....and WHAT THEN? What will you complain about then?? Get a grip, will ya!

Date: May 17, 2013 19:25

mickschix
Yikes, you guys are rough, and not accurate. There are only a few songs, like HTW where Chuck is way up in the mix/ or featured. I hardly notice him! Keyboards louder than the guitars?? What are you all listening to?
If it were NOT for Chuck, there would be NO gems, no new songs introduced into the set list. I think people complain just for the HELL of it. Cheer up, Chuck and the Stones will soon never be seen live again....and WHAT THEN? What will you complain about then?? Get a grip, will ya!

i love you

Date: May 17, 2013 19:36

mickschix
Cheer up, Chuck and the Stones will soon never be seen live again....

This is fantastic news! The Stones are getting Ian back?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 924
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home