Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: New Album rumors Last Yr.
Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: May 17, 2013 03:30

rolling freak,please allow me to politely disagree with you,lol.seriously the reason i disagree is they are far from to old to put out good music,ian hunter and dylan are older and are in the middle of there creative peak!!and the big issue is aren't they artists,don't they consider themselves artists and want to be creative.sad part is there actions answer that with a big fat no.they are cash cows,i love the stones,2 shows in newark last year were amazing.they sounded like they can easily go another 10.but i am amazed at there lack of wanting to put out good new music.abb was great i thought,but 1 album in 16 tears,i just dont get it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-17 03:32 by backstreetboy1.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 17, 2013 03:30

stonehearted
treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
crumbling_mice
would anyone in the right mind want another abomination like ABB?

the greater abomination is that some fans don't realize what an abomination it is....

that's abomidable.

Don't you mean abominable?

As in the snowman

or Dr. Phibes

No, I'm from Canada, here it's abomidable

Date: May 17, 2013 03:50

24FPS
treaclefingers
24FPS
They're lazy and hate each other and don't want to bring in anyone different or even massage Bill's ego a bit and get his old bum in the studio. There's no incentive to do an entire album if D&G & OS qualify as their new material for the stage. Albums don't make money now, tours do. It's the opposite of days gone by. The only reason to make an album is for artistic reasons. That doesn't seem to interest them.

I think they did a splendid job on those two songs for two people that hate each other.

kudos to them.

Well, I meant it semi-seriously. ZZ Top were live on Howard Stern the other day and admitted all three have separate tour buses and that the only personal relationship they have amongst the trio is professional. For all his camaraderie shtick, you rarely see Keith with anyone in the Stones if it ain't for money. I've seen Mick with Charlie, Ronnie with everyone, and Bill and Charlie hang out but I don't think they're seen in public together. Keith is the one who lives almost exclusively away from England, either in Connecticut or on some tropical Island. Face it, they're not going to invest the months they used to do. They ain't mixin' it, fixin' it, you know the rest.

I don't need my rolling stones to hang out, go to movies or dinner...on the other hand, it wouldn't hurt new music opportunities if could be civilized to each other.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 17, 2013 04:17

treaclefingers
24FPS
They're lazy and hate each other and don't want to bring in anyone different or even massage Bill's ego a bit and get his old bum in the studio. There's no incentive to do an entire album if D&G & OS qualify as their new material for the stage. Albums don't make money now, tours do. It's the opposite of days gone by. The only reason to make an album is for artistic reasons. That doesn't seem to interest them.

I think they did a splendid job on those two songs for two people that hate each other.

kudos to them.

What "splendid job"? These tunes were a cut-and-paste job. One Winos reject and one Jagger demo. They did the minimum amount required to put a "Rolling Stones" label on it. And that's exactly what it sounds like (when it doesn't sound like ZZ Top, that is).

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 17, 2013 05:23

71Tele
treaclefingers
24FPS

kudos to them.

What "splendid job"? These tunes were a cut-and-paste job. One Winos reject and one Jagger demo. They did the minimum amount required to put a "Rolling Stones" label on it. And that's exactly what it sounds like (when it doesn't sound like ZZ Top, that is).

I share that opinion. It's not an impressive body of work for 5 years' time (longer than the "golden era" in it's entirety)

Date: May 17, 2013 05:36

sonomastone
71Tele
treaclefingers
24FPS

kudos to them.

I share that opinion. It's not an impressive body of work for 5 years' time (longer than the "golden era" in it's entirety)

Then I suggest you two get a room.

Date: May 17, 2013 05:41

treaclefingers
sonomastone
71Tele
treaclefingers
24FPS

kudos to them.

no way - he is an admitted taylorite :-)

Date: May 17, 2013 05:47

sonomastone
treaclefingers
sonomastone
71Tele
treaclefingers
24FPS

kudos to them.

no way - he is an admitted taylorite :-)

Yes, but I have been going to meetings. One day at a time.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 17, 2013 05:49

Freeking Taylorites... if only there was a genetic test for early detection.

Date: May 17, 2013 05:59

Max'sKansasCity

Or for cheerleaders who think suspending their critical faculties is a prerequisite for being a fan of an artist.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 17, 2013 06:22

71Tele
Max'sKansasCity

Or for cheerleaders who think suspending their critical faculties is a prerequisite for being a fan of an artist.

Or for grumpmeisters who try to rationalize their "normally" grumpy attitudes by dreaming they are qualified music critics, as they project their grumpyness onto the music and/or others

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 17, 2013 06:46

Pretty obvious....the fall took alot out of Keef. The new songs are "Mick" songs, even Keith says Mick does a good Keef on guitar. It is what it is. I would imagine thats why it's such a short tour. I just wish it was more genuine. The 85$ pricepoint is fair. I paid @100$ to see Clapton in Pittsburgh, floor seats, no lottery, and that was fair. I think all of us fan/critics would be much more forgiving about the quality/setlist/guests if it were fairly priced. All ages roughly equal, Clapton can play circles around Keith and Woody, at this point, hell, Doyle could too. Just be fair boys.

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: May 17, 2013 06:49

Keith has plenty in the tank from the stuff with Steve Jordan last year. One More Shot would have made a great Winos song. Another Stones album wouldn't just be a faux-Mick solo album like many here would have you believe.

Date: May 17, 2013 07:23

Sorry Max, I am with Tele

Date: May 17, 2013 07:24

Thrylan
Pretty obvious....the fall took alot out of Keef. The new songs are "Mick" songs, even Keith says Mick does a good Keef on guitar. It is what it is. I would imagine thats why it's such a short tour. I just wish it was more genuine. The 85$ pricepoint is fair. I paid @100$ to see Clapton in Pittsburgh, floor seats, no lottery, and that was fair. I think all of us fan/critics would be much more forgiving about the quality/setlist/guests if it were fairly priced. All ages roughly equal, Clapton can play circles around Keith and Woody, at this point, hell, Doyle could too. Just be fair boys.

doom and gloom is a mick song, one more shot is a keith song. so 50/50, not all "mick" songs.
agree with you about the ticket price.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 17, 2013 07:30

OneHit
Keith has plenty in the tank from the stuff with Steve Jordan last year. One More Shot would have made a great Winos song. Another Stones album wouldn't just be a faux-Mick solo album like many here would have you believe.

Winos songs are mostly songs that couldn't make the Stones cut.

Date: May 17, 2013 07:33

24FPS
OneHit

Winos songs are mostly songs that couldn't make the Stones cut.

and yet Winos songs are better than anything the stones have recorded 25 years... hmm... perhaps we're making progress on identifying the problem..

Date: May 17, 2013 07:35

sonomastone
Thrylan

doom and gloom is a mick song, one more shot is a keith song. so 50/50, not all "mick" songs.
agree with you about the ticket price.

I will concede....sounds alot like DS. Thx for not killing me about the $. I understand age, but you cant charge more, much more, for arguably less. Super bummed I won't be able to take my son. You would think with the big new R&RHOF exhibit Cleveland would be a no brainer. I live in WV, so that means Philly or DC. With tix costing what they are, it's just not feasible. If they did hit Cleve I would Tumble the Dice on a pair of 85$the lottery tix.....bummin'!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 17, 2013 10:09

backstreetboy1
rolling freak,please allow me to politely disagree with you,lol.seriously the reason i disagree is they are far from to old to put out good music,ian hunter and dylan are older and are in the middle of there creative peak!!and the big issue is aren't they artists,don't they consider themselves artists and want to be creative.sad part is there actions answer that with a big fat no.they are cash cows,i love the stones,2 shows in newark last year were amazing.they sounded like they can easily go another 10.but i am amazed at there lack of wanting to put out good new music.abb was great i thought,but 1 album in 16 tears,i just dont get it.
I do agree. I actually think A Bigger Bang is a great album (albeit a tad long) and seem to be in the minority. If the album was 10 tracks, I think it would be killer. But you said it. They are cash cows, and since 1990, thats what they've been. Expect back then, they needed an album as an excuse to tour and make more money. Now, they have the 50th anniversary angle, and most likely this will be the last tour. They had the same angle on 40 Licks. When they don't need to put out an album, they don't. Its as simple as that in my mind. Yes, if they want to tour after this tour, they'll need/feel the need to put out a new album. But I think realistically this could very well be the end and I'm guessing they aren't thinking at all about a new album until its absolutely necessary. Again though, thats just me. But I think at this point in life, with their age, an album is the furthest thing from their mind. They could really get away with anything this far into their career.

Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: May 17, 2013 13:33

the reason for the two new songs is because typically artist contracts where best of's are concerned stipulate that (usually) two new songs must be provided for the release. they're only recording those songs because the contract says so.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 17, 2013 14:52

Well there might be some hope because apparently (interview when Grrr came out if memory serves) the contract did not actually "say so" but they were asked by UMG to provide new material and they accepted, how nice of them! Besides that now gives them "new material" to play on stage...so once again they "winged" it Glimmer Stones style and came out on top ;-)

Another sign of "hope" is that Mick actually went so far (another interview for Grrr...) as to say that OMS was Keith's song and that was "a very good song" (I'd say it's the good "scaffolding of a song" since it pretty much runs out of things to say after 1.5 minutes, but hey if Mick likes I'll take it!). He also told RS in October that he wanted to record another album at some point. Alas the same question was not asked (or not answered) in that latest RS interview that everyone is raving about but that I'm not very fond of precisely because of the absence of that question, the writer being mostly interested in "analyzing" Mick and Keith's relationship.

So a few signs of "hope" and now bv tells us they will be producing an excellent album after the tour...sounds like a lock to me and yes please, not another ABB with stuff like "Driving Too Fast" or 'Infamy", etc...just 10 songs that stick to the point.

Oh and I'm sure that since the UMG contract is up they are, as we type posts in this thread, "listening to offers" for a new recording contract!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-17 14:55 by gotdablouse.

Date: May 17, 2013 15:47

A new album would be cool, but hell yeah, give me 10 good songs, and without 1000 producers and guests like BB. It seems to me since the reformation, songs are either strong, or they stink.....not much middle ground. I do have a weakness for VL.....I think that one was made for the road- lots of rockers. I saw them early on that tour and they played like 6 of them. IGW, YGMR & LIS in particular rocked! Incidentally, I thought dropping LIS, for Sympathy sucked. LIS had punch and opened the Voodoo section nicely. On the other hand, recreating the studio Sympathy is zzzzzzzzz. It was far better on GYYY's or LYL. This is another one they might consider letting MT play on, Keith isn't getting it done on that one anymore......makes me sad.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1960
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home