Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: when will the stones be best selling rock band ever.
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 15, 2013 23:05

Is this like a schoolyard thing?

If the whole world hated the stones I would like them.

What difference does other peoples opinion make?

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: May 15, 2013 23:20

FrankM
jamesfdouglas
sonomastone
FrankM
treaclefingers
FrankM
jamesfdouglas
buttons67
According to reports that claim to be official the rolling stones are a staggering 13rth placed in terms of unit sales.

They are behind the Beatles, Elvis and Michael Jackson which is slightly understandable if not acceptable, but they are also behind Madonna and Celine Dion which is unbelievable.

Surly with the stones superior back catologue and longevity and with the vaults and other various recordings and releases happening it will only be a matter of time before they climb the table.

I'm suprised they're as high as 13, I would have guessed lower. Seriously, thee haven't been a force to consider (much less reckon with), as far as album sales go, since maybe 1978. That's a very long time ago, and even then they weren't coming close to even The Bee Gees.

I guess some Stones fans feel that they deserve to be Number One on any list they're involved with, perhaps because they dubbed themselves "The World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band". Don't get me wrong - the amount of records The Stones have sold is NOTHING to sneeze at, but there's a lot of music out there, and a lot of very successful acts.

At least they're still #2 for box-office draw.

? and who is number one?

bono vox and co.

Because they finally had a tour that became the biggest ever? Just because they have the SINGLE BIGGEST TOUR doesn't mean they are a more successful touring band.

Yes - surely the stones are the biggest grossing live band in total?

U2 and The Stones have both had a lot of huge tours, and have been nearly neck-and-neck in the last 2 decades. But U2 are the clear winners, and they still have some good years/tours ahead of them. The Stones aren't in that arena anymore, they're too old and don't offer anything new anymore. This "tour" is their goodbye. Meanwhile U2 are recording a new ALBUM and planning another world tour.

Like it or not, U2 are now the biggest fish in the rock and roll sea for touring.
The Beatles will never be out-sold record-wise. But The Stones won't come close to Zeppelin. Or Pink Floyd. Or even Elton for that matter.

Nice spin but not true at all. When you adjust for inflation The Stones might have the five biggest tours of all time- at the very least they have four of the top five.

Not really.
This list shows it. Gross adjusted for inflation is also included on this list.
But where's the Bridges Tour on this list?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-15 23:23 by BowieStone.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 15, 2013 23:24

buttons67
According to reports that claim to be official the rolling stones are a staggering 13rth placed in terms of unit sales.

They are behind the Beatles, Elvis and Michael Jackson which is slightly understandable if not acceptable, but they are also behind Madonna and Celine Dion which is unbelievable.

Surly with the stones superior back catologue and longevity and with the vaults and other various recordings and releases happening it will only be a matter of time before they climb the table.

Never - pop music will always sell much better than rock'blues - bigger audience

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: May 15, 2013 23:40

BowieStone
FrankM
jamesfdouglas
sonomastone
FrankM
treaclefingers
FrankM
jamesfdouglas
buttons67

I'm suprised they're as high as 13, I would have guessed lower. Seriously, thee haven't been a force to consider (much less reckon with), as far as album sales go, since maybe 1978. That's a very long time ago, and even then they weren't coming close to even The Bee Gees.

I guess some Stones fans feel that they deserve to be Number One on any list they're involved with, perhaps because they dubbed themselves "The World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band". Don't get me wrong - the amount of records The Stones have sold is NOTHING to sneeze at, but there's a lot of music out there, and a lot of very successful acts.

? and who is number one?

bono vox and co.

Because they finally had a tour that became the biggest ever? Just because they have the SINGLE BIGGEST TOUR doesn't mean they are a more successful touring band.

U2 and The Stones have both had a lot of huge tours, and have been nearly neck-and-neck in the last 2 decades. But U2 are the clear winners, and they still have some good years/tours ahead of them. The Stones aren't in that arena anymore, they're too old and don't offer anything new anymore. This "tour" is their goodbye. Meanwhile U2 are recording a new ALBUM and planning another world tour.

Like it or not, U2 are now the biggest fish in the rock and roll sea for touring.
The Beatles will never be out-sold record-wise. But The Stones won't come close to Zeppelin. Or Pink Floyd. Or even Elton for that matter.

Nice spin but not true at all. When you adjust for inflation The Stones might have the five biggest tours of all time- at the very least they have four of the top five.

Not really.

Yes there are a couple of huge tours inexplicably missing. The list I saw had them as having the top five tours of all time when you adjust for inflation but I will assume that the last U2 tour is at the top of the list now and The Stones have two through five. The Wikipedia list you linked is missing not only the Bridges tour but Steel Wheels too. You know that when you adjust for inflation these would be amongst the biggest ever.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: May 15, 2013 23:44

FrankM
BowieStone
FrankM
jamesfdouglas
sonomastone
FrankM
treaclefingers
FrankM
jamesfdouglas
buttons67

? and who is number one?

bono vox and co.

Not really.

Yes there are a couple of huge tours inexplicably missing. The list I saw had them as having the top five tours of all time when you adjust for inflation but I will assume that the last U2 tour is at the top of the list now and The Stones have two through five. The Wikipedia list you linked is missing not only the Bridges tour but Steel Wheels too. You know that when you adjust for inflation these would be amongst the biggest ever.

Probably because of Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle... Those are probably regarded as 2 tours. Same thing with Bridges/No Security?

Date: May 15, 2013 23:49

You might be right BowieStone- maybe just a technicality but common sense tells us that if the Steel Wheels tour were in 2009 instead of 1989 it would easily make the top ten, probably top five. I think they might have actually sold more tickets during the SW and VL tours than the ABB tour but I'm just guessing.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 15, 2013 23:50

FrankM
BowieStone
FrankM
jamesfdouglas
sonomastone
FrankM
treaclefingers
FrankM
jamesfdouglas
buttons67

? and who is number one?

bono vox and co.

Not really.

You cannot just adjust for inflation - just take a look at the price level today compared to 30 years ago - the price level has gone up much more than inflation. So, if you want to make any comparison, adjust for price ticket level as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-15 23:54 by mtaylor.

Date: May 15, 2013 23:55

mtaylor
FrankM
BowieStone
FrankM
jamesfdouglas
sonomastone
FrankM
treaclefingers
FrankM
jamesfdouglas
buttons67

? and who is number one?

bono vox and co.

Not really.

You cannot just adjust for inflation - just take a look at the price level today compared to 30 years ago - the price level has gone up much more than inflation. S, if you want to make any comparison, adjust for Price ticket level as well.

Great point but that would give The Stones an even bigger advantage than just plain old inflation. We all agree that ticket prices have gone up far more than regular inflation. If the Steel Wheels tickets were sold at $85-$400 bucks apiece how much would that tour have grossed.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 16, 2013 00:03

why is anyone getting their knickers in a twist over this?

The Stones day in the sun is nearing an end. Other than U2, I don't see any successors on the horizon.

So is Coldplay the alternative now? Oh dear.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: May 16, 2013 00:03

No one sells more tongue t shirts than the Stones!

Date: May 16, 2013 00:10

treaclefingers

The Stones day in the sun is nearing an end. Other than U2, I don't see any successors on the horizon.

There are no successors- that's the sad thing. There will probably never be another Beatles, or Stones or Zeppelin. We probably all agree on that.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 16, 2013 00:13

There are more people on earth that saw the Tongue then the Apple.........

No the Stones will not be the best selling artist.............or they should release another 5 golden records on a row grinning smiley

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 16, 2013 00:26

FrankM
treaclefingers

There are no successors- that's the sad thing. There will probably never be another Beatles, or Stones or Zeppelin. We probably all agree on that.

Oh, yes I agree there. Let's face it, it's a reality that The Stones could be done after this. U2 are in their early 50s (51-53). They clearly have some milage left (aka full albums and tours ahead of them). It's very possible that in a few years U2 will be the LAST of the rock stars... while hip-hop drives the big cars...

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: May 16, 2013 00:47

jamesfdouglas
FrankM
treaclefingers

Oh, yes I agree there. Let's face it, it's a reality that The Stones could be done after this. U2 are in their early 50s (51-53). They clearly have some milage left (aka full albums and tours ahead of them). It's very possible that in a few years U2 will be the LAST of the rock stars... while hip-hop drives the big cars...

I'm hoping against all hope for some kind of rock and roll revival but it looks doubtful at this point.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 16, 2013 01:09

I thought GRRR! put them on top. No?

One thing's for sure, The Stones are the best selling Greatest Hits Compilation rock band ever. By a considerable margin, no band has released more compilatons and resold more of the same songs more times than The Stones.

At least they're number one at something.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 16, 2013 01:24

stonehearted

One thing's for sure, The Stones are the best selling Greatest Hits Compilation rock band ever. By a considerable margin, no band has released more compilatons and resold more of the same songs more times than The Stones.

don't forget
- most live albums (of the same songs on all those greatest hits compilations)
- most concert movies (of the same songs on the greatest hits compilations and live albums).

how many different copies of satisfaction or jjf has the average stones fan paid for in their lifetime?

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 16, 2013 01:30

sonomastone
stonehearted

don't forget
- most live albums (of the same songs on all those greatest hits compilations)
- most concert movies (of the same songs on the greatest hits compilations and live albums).

how many different copies of satisfaction or jjf has the average stones fan paid for in their lifetime?

is an answer that is closest to the nearest hundred acceptable?

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 16, 2013 01:39

It's only really their music that matters to me so popularity contests have nothing to do with that. 13 or 130 in sales? What does it really matter when all is said and done?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 16, 2013 02:31

buttons67
According to reports that claim to be official the rolling stones are a staggering 13th placed in terms of unit sales.

Not only will they never climb to #1, they will, over time, fall further down the list.

Posted by: WindyHorses ()
Date: May 16, 2013 02:35

buttons,
Nowadays everyone bootlegs or downloads legit-whatever.
The point is- it can not be gauged anymore.
It's a moot point.
I also agree- Who cares?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 16, 2013 02:40

WindyHorses
buttons,
Nowadays everyone bootlegs or downloads legit-whatever.
The point is- it can not be gauged anymore.
It's a moot point.
I also agree- Who cares?

I've gauged it a few times, but I'm trying to market that info so...y'know...gotta keep it on the downlow

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 16, 2013 03:26

NICOS
There are more people on earth that saw the Tongue then the Apple.........

No the Stones will not be the best selling artist.............or they should release another 5 golden records on a row grinning smiley

drbryant
Ridiculous? This took 30 minutes of my life, but it was worth it. How cool are the Stones?

The Stones may never outsell pop music artists like Garth Brooks, Celine, the Beatles, Abba etc., but there is no question that they have always been, and will always be, much, much cooler.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 16, 2013 05:16

Drbyant - Great post!

Who cares if they are outsold 13th is not bad for music that really is not all that commercial.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 16, 2013 13:50

According to IFPI/ MEDIA TRAFFIC, which is a credible source as i know, the Stones is #8 in terms of worldwide album sales. I don’t see Celine Dion around…

1- Beatles
2- Elvis
3- Michael Jackson
4- Pink Floyd
5- Madonna
6- Elton John
7- Led Zeppelin
8- Rolling Stones
9- U2
10- Queen

As for touring, i think the Stones clearly remain the most attended act of all time. Only in the years 1989 – 2007 they have attracted 26.5 million people, or nearly 28 million including Rio’s free concert. I suppose we ’re talking for the time being, right? The discussion about who will be the most attended live act a few years or many years after the end of the Stones career does mean nothing to me. It’s like saying “I don’t count the record this athlete still has, because his carreer ends and someone else will broke the record”…Sorry, that’s pure inanity…

And for sure, it’s hard to imagine other bands or solo artists on the 5th decade of their career playing live for 9.5 million people approximately, as Stones did in the years 2002- 2007 (8, 236, 586 tickets sold + Rio’s audience). After having played to death all around the world, earlier.

It’s also hard to imagine other acts, after 50 years of career, filling arenas in the USA (even by lower average prices) and selling 130,000 tickets in minutes for two London shows (ya, reasonable prices…).

It has not to do with the popularity of newer artists only, for example U2 will remain very popular even 20 years from now, perhaps. It’s about the future of the touring industry. I have reasons to believe that huge audiences will be past, in some years from now.

PS : As quality is most important than quantity, even on a thread like this, i say i’m very happy to see that the Stones are still putting on excellent gigs! (Sorry, complainers...).

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 16, 2013 14:22

Stones was the best selling rock band when they plugged in 2 guitars and 1 bass in front of a drummer and behind the singer....1969....(Beatles is Pop)...

2 1 2 0

Date: May 16, 2013 18:46

stonehearted

It depends on how you look at it. The Beatles and Zeppelin haven't been selling the same albums for the last forty years? At least The Stones put out new stuff in addition to reselling the same stuff.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Date: May 16, 2013 18:49

has 'when pigs fly' been offered as a possibility yet?

Date: May 16, 2013 18:54

treaclefingers

Don't quit the day job treacle. You're not ready for The Improv.

Date: May 16, 2013 18:56

FrankM
treaclefingers

Like any professional, I'm ironing out the material before going live with it.

Your feedback is noted.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 17, 2013 01:04

treaclefingers
FrankM
treaclefingers

Like any professional, I'm ironing out the material before going live with it.

Your feedback is noted.

I thought it was ironically funny...and I'm not even a Floyd fan by a long, long shot...

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1647
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home