Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: so..is it too workman-like?
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 15, 2013 18:12

GRNRBITW
duke richardson
GRNRBITW
Erik_Snow
GRNRBITW
Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
The mix you get on your cell phone recording can be so bad that a good rendition becomes a bad one.

There's lots of talks about youtube recordings here, something I rarely bother to watch. I listen to the recent RS concerts in much better quality thanks to the DIME torrents....plenty of us have heard these recent gigs in really fine quality, fine enough to hear how the band plays.

and how are they playing, erik?

Well..I'm not $600 impressed....maybe about $25 impressed. Much better than 2007, to say something positive. But there's nothing new here, not much sparks, and everything is going in a slower pace than previously.
Didn't think I'd ever get to hear a decline even in Charlie's drumming, but I do now. But of course there's some nice moments, like in any RS tour. For instance Rambler with Taylor is exciting...brings out something in the whole band, well at least in both Micks, same goes for a couple of other tunes that worked OK, like I Wanna Be Your Man in London, No Expectations recently, etc.
But big parts of the shows seems like a degraded B/W re-run, at best. Version number 2000 of Brown Sugar wasn't a "terrific version" one has to admit

what has become apparent to those in-the-know (and of course i count myself in that very exclusive club), is that the "engine room" is running on fumes now. keith and charlie, who drove the band for decades, are the weak-links (weaklings?) now, which renders the rockers all but unlistenable in most instances. what does still work quite well on occasion are the "softer" tunes. I'd prolly pay to see a show that had a significant segment of it devoted to the "no expectations" or "lady janes" or "dead flowerses." And you know what? I think most longtime fans would relish such a show. Jagger's inept insistence that the audience needs 2 hours of high-energy rock is the problem. They're old, we're old there's no reason at this very late stage why we all need to pretend otherwise.

that is an excellent suggestion.

Play With Fire, Lady Jane, Ruby Tuesday maybe..

No Expectations..Parachute Woman..

they still rock, though. Midnight Rambler ..awesome recently..

rambler is the odd anomaly...always has been. nobody knows why.

Memory Motel ...Salt Of The Earth...You Got The Silver...

no 'Indian Girl' though..

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 15, 2013 18:16

duke richardson
GRNRBITW
duke richardson
GRNRBITW
Erik_Snow
GRNRBITW
Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
The mix you get on your cell phone recording can be so bad that a good rendition becomes a bad one.

There's lots of talks about youtube recordings here, something I rarely bother to watch. I listen to the recent RS concerts in much better quality thanks to the DIME torrents....plenty of us have heard these recent gigs in really fine quality, fine enough to hear how the band plays.

Well..I'm not $600 impressed....maybe about $25 impressed. Much better than 2007, to say something positive. But there's nothing new here, not much sparks, and everything is going in a slower pace than previously.
Didn't think I'd ever get to hear a decline even in Charlie's drumming, but I do now. But of course there's some nice moments, like in any RS tour. For instance Rambler with Taylor is exciting...brings out something in the whole band, well at least in both Micks, same goes for a couple of other tunes that worked OK, like I Wanna Be Your Man in London, No Expectations recently, etc.
But big parts of the shows seems like a degraded B/W re-run, at best. Version number 2000 of Brown Sugar wasn't a "terrific version" one has to admit

what has become apparent to those in-the-know (and of course i count myself in that very exclusive club), is that the "engine room" is running on fumes now. keith and charlie, who drove the band for decades, are the weak-links (weaklings?) now, which renders the rockers all but unlistenable in most instances. what does still work quite well on occasion are the "softer" tunes. I'd prolly pay to see a show that had a significant segment of it devoted to the "no expectations" or "lady janes" or "dead flowerses." And you know what? I think most longtime fans would relish such a show. Jagger's inept insistence that the audience needs 2 hours of high-energy rock is the problem. They're old, we're old there's no reason at this very late stage why we all need to pretend otherwise.

that is an excellent suggestion.

Play With Fire, Lady Jane, Ruby Tuesday maybe..

No Expectations..Parachute Woman..

they still rock, though. Midnight Rambler ..awesome recently..

rambler is the odd anomaly...always has been. nobody knows why.

Memory Motel ...Salt Of The Earth...You Got The Silver...

no 'Indian Girl' though..

indian girl to be replace by out of time. thank you, stones - you rule!

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 15, 2013 18:23

insistence that the audience needs 2 hours of high-energy rock is the problem. They're old, we're old there's no reason at this very late stage why we all need to pretend otherwise. This is a brilliant observation but it's easier to play fast and loud than it is to play softly.

Date: May 15, 2013 18:28

DoomandGloom
insistence that the audience needs 2 hours of high-energy rock is the problem. They're old, we're old there's no reason at this very late stage why we all need to pretend otherwise. This is a brilliant observation but it's easier to play fast and loud than it is to play softly.

what a damned moment here....am i to understand that you believe the stones are taking the EASY WAY OUT here? the path of LEAST RESISTANCE??? Our BELOVED STONES?????

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: May 15, 2013 19:23

crumbling_mice
YouTube clips are fine, but the atmosphere/vibe of a show simply cannot be captured on any recording device...sometimes it's just a feel in the air which is hard to put into words - an energy which as many performers will tell you builds a charge between the audience and musicians. We've all experienced it at a live show, it's hard to say what determines it as I've seen the same band on the same tour playing the smae songs, but in a different venue on a different night and it's been completely different experience from one to the other.

I guess what I;m saying is don't make too many absolute judgements until you've seen them! I know we tend to do automatically judge when we get the clips coming in, but rarely do they catch the sound well, especially ones from mobile phones recorded by someone stood in the Gods on one side of the venue!

I totally agree with you! There is a magic in the air that can never be felt unless you are there at a Stones concert. Words cannot describe it and You Tube cannot capture it.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 15, 2013 19:43

I had the good fortune of being at the Olympic stadium for the last day of the Athletics events. Jamaica set the world record in the 4x100 and Mo Farah won the 5000 meters in front of the loudest crowd I have ever heard. When I got home I watched the replays on youtube. It wasn't the same.

Date: May 15, 2013 19:46

drbryant
I had the good fortune of being at the Olympic stadium for the last day of the Athletics events. Jamaica set the world record in the 4x100 and Mo Farah won the 5000 meters in front of the loudest crowd I have ever heard. When I got home I watched the replays on youtube. It wasn't the same.

not enough taylor?

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 15, 2013 19:51

drbryant
the experience wasn't the same, but the same people won when you watched the replay on tv, the times were the same. Some of it was the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-15 19:59 by Rokyfan.

Date: May 15, 2013 20:20

GRNRBITW
DoomandGloom

what a damned moment here....am i to understand that you believe the stones are taking the EASY WAY OUT here? the path of LEAST RESISTANCE??? Our BELOVED STONES?????
They are doing what they can do, rock out. It's not an excuse but they are older. I saw a version of Torn and Frayed on UTUBE that they have since pulled, they can't play it or things like that anymore. It is reasonable to assume the tunes they rehearse that they don't perform are shelved for good reason. People should be happy and relish this, in the tunes they present there has to be at least one that touches you. Many people here want to design their own personal concert, we are so spoiled, demanding spontaneous perfection and citing ticket prices or our own vision as the reason. Others look to Beatle Paul or Bruce but they have younger bands. You want the real Stones you got them, warts and all, this is the real thing. Lay back and enjoy your old lovers, let them take you where they can and try to move around a little from time to time and not be a lazy f*ck.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-15 20:22 by DoomandGloom.

Date: May 15, 2013 20:23

we should take it easy on them for taking the easy way out, then? hmmm...to keep with the theme of this, they should take it more easy on our bank accounts, i think.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 15, 2013 20:29

GRNRBITW
Erik_Snow
GRNRBITW
Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman

Yes, yes, absolutely agree. It's the softer songs that works at this stage in their career. That's also why I thought that for instance "The Last Time" was one of the best "rockers" of the Newark TV broadcast; because they played it more "pop-like" and careful, compared to how they try to deliver their other "non ballad songs" like HTW, One More Shot, BS, etc. Obviously Lady Jane and No Expectations works even better.

In other words - they could do some pop songs in-between the softer songs, to make it a full setlist. Something from the 1966-1967 era, in lack of new pop-songs. Could have been really something.
Instead we get....this "rock show" for the nth time , sigh - the rerun is even in B/W this time around

Date: May 15, 2013 20:31

brats

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: May 15, 2013 21:06

DoomandGloom
GRNRBITW
DoomandGloom

They are doing what they can do, rock out. It's not an excuse but they are older. I saw a version of Torn and Frayed on UTUBE that they have since pulled, they can't play it or things like that anymore. It is reasonable to assume the tunes they rehearse that they don't perform are shelved for good reason. People should be happy and relish this, in the tunes they present there has to be at least one that touches you. Many people here want to design their own personal concert, we are so spoiled, demanding spontaneous perfection and citing ticket prices or our own vision as the reason. Others look to Beatle Paul or Bruce but they have younger bands. You want the real Stones you got them, warts and all, this is the real thing. Lay back and enjoy your old lovers, let them take you where they can and try to move around a little from time to time and not be a lazy f*ck.

The core members of the E Street Band are basically Bruce's age...Bruce is 63, Tallent 63, Bitan 63, Van Zandt 62, Weinberg 62, and Lofgren 61.

Date: May 15, 2013 21:20

Jah Paul
DoomandGloom
GRNRBITW
DoomandGloom

The core members of the E Street Band are basically Bruce's age...Bruce is 63, Tallent 63, Bitan 63, Van Zandt 62, Weinberg 62, and Lofgren 61.
That is much younger, 60 is the new 40 but 70 is still the old 70. Let's be fair Keith and Charlie are true miracles, beautiful old junkies that they were. There are posters here that are so out of touch they can't see the people facts here. It should not even be discussed, their concerts no longer hyper criticized. Show some respect, I see nothing short of true love and respect from the band this year. If it costs too much you have better priorities...In the US you get what you're worth so sit this out if you dare, that extra few hundred will get you far with the IRS down our backs. Nonetheless despite the larger setlist the Stones crush the E-Streets' kissie fest and their idiotic 4 and 5 guitar attack. Reminds me on Nuns playing on Prozac.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: May 15, 2013 21:21

Well, at least it's not Dirty Work-man like.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 15, 2013 21:26

DoomandGloom
Jah Paul
DoomandGloom
GRNRBITW
DoomandGloom

That is much younger, 60 is the new 40 but 70 is still the old 70. Let's be fair Keith and Charlie are true miracles, beautiful old junkies that they were. There are posters here that are so out of touch they can't see the people facts here. It should not even be discussed, their concerts no longer hyper criticized. Show some respect, I see nothing short of true love and respect from the band this year. If it costs too much you have better priorities...In the US you get what you're worth so sit this out if you dare, that extra few hundred will get you far with the IRS down our backs. Nonetheless despite the larger setlist the Stones crush the E-Streets' kissie fest and their idiotic 4 and 5 guitar attack. Reminds me on Nuns playing on Prozac.

Brilliant post!

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: May 15, 2013 21:32

DoomandGloom
Jah Paul
DoomandGloom
GRNRBITW
DoomandGloom

It is much younger, but basically the same age as the Stones at the beginning of the Bigger Bang tour.

Your comments about the E Streets' "kissie fest" ruins your credibility with regard to anything else you said in your post.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 16, 2013 00:50

Okay, to sum up the rules of fandom as dictated in this thread:

(1) You can no longer have an opinion on the movie Gimme Shelter unless you were at Altamont--in fact, you're not even entitled to watch the damn thing unless you attended a show on the '69 tour;

(2) You don't have the right to criticize how The Stones play live unless you attend a concert, because rights of criticism, like bragging rights, are included in the ticket price--oh, and because of the vibe at the show, the something in the airness or something; and

(3) 60 is the new 40.

So, this means also that:

(1) You also can't criticize an album--like Dirty Work--unless you were in the control room when it was being recorded, because it sounds better on a studio production console than on CD and because of the vibe among the engineers and band; and

(2) We can expect professional athletes like major league baseball players and the like to be playing into their 60s, because, they say, 60 is the new 40.

If I've left anything out, please feel free to jump in and be over-the-top with your favorite insulting put-downs, and I'll get the laugh-track clips ready.

Date: May 16, 2013 00:57

stonehearted
Okay, to sum up the rules of fandom as dictated in this thread:

(1) You can no longer have an opinion on the movie Gimme Shelter unless you were at Altamont--in fact, you're not even entitled to watch the damn thing unless you attended a show on the '69 tour;

(2) You don't have the right to criticize how The Stones play live unless you attend a concert, because rights of criticism, like bragging rights, are included in the ticket price--oh, and because of the vibe at the show, the something in the airness or something; and

(3) 60 is the new 40.

So, this means also that:

(1) You also can't criticize an album--like Dirty Work--unless you were in the control room when it was being recorded, because it sounds better on a studio production console than on CD and because of the vibe among the engineers and band; and

(2) We can expect professional athletes like major league baseball players and the like to be playing into their 60s, because, they say, 60 is the new 40.

If I've left anything out, please feel free to jump in and be over-the-top with your favorite insulting put-downs, and I'll get the laugh-track clips ready.

now you're just being silly. nobody said this has anything to do with baseball; it pertains to track and field.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 16, 2013 04:16

DoomandGloom
Jah Paul
DoomandGloom
GRNRBITW
DoomandGloom

Respect elders? Have the Stones taught you nothing? Fvck that noise.

I'll shout and scream I'll kill the king I'll rail at all his servants.

(See what I did there...I used a Stones lyric to justify slagging the Stones...clever huh? And I only had to edit 3 times to do it)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-16 04:22 by andrewt.

Posted by: tnhybrid ()
Date: May 16, 2013 10:36

It was my first Stones show tonight. Thought they were incredible, the setlist couldn't have been better IMO (OK, I can think of five - maybe ten - more songs I'd have loved to hear grinning smiley Gotta find a way to get to D.C. winking smiley

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 16, 2013 21:16

tnhybrid
It was my first Stones show tonight. Thought they were incredible, the setlist couldn't have been better IMO (OK, I can think of five - maybe ten - more songs I'd have loved to hear grinning smiley Gotta find a way to get to D.C. winking smiley

Great! How did the performance compare to your expectations?
Hope you find a way to go to another show.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 16, 2013 21:30

"respect your elders" .....

hey if you're so interested in moral and ethics, why spend time on a greedy R&R band? For crying out loud
Send your money to somebody who needs it; Red Cross for instance

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: May 16, 2013 23:30

Erik_Snow
In other words - they could do some pop songs in-between the softer songs, to make it a full setlist. Something from the 1966-1967 era, in lack of new pop-songs. Could have been really something.
Instead we get....this "rock show" for the nth time , sigh - the rerun is even in B/W this time around

+1thumbs up
You sum it very well winking smiley

HMN

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1944
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home