Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ques. for those who've been in the pit on the rail
Posted by: SquealingTea ()
Date: May 14, 2013 10:13

I’m wondering what the view is like from the pit against the front rail. From pics I’ve seen, the stage looks well above everyone’s heads. For those who’ve been in this super-close-up position, how much of the stage can you actually see? Can you see Charlie in the back? Can you see Keith when he’s hanging back near Charlie? Most importantly, can you see Chuck? (kidding…) Is it an “up the nose” view requiring that you hold your head at a severe angle the entire time in order to see? I know height makes a difference in the pit, and I would be about 5ft 9in (175.3cm) in heels.

I’m trying to decide whether to go for pit or 2nd row 1st level loge closest to the stage. I’m unsure which way to go because I’ve been right up front on the rail for other concerts w/ stages above my head and found I could only see what was happening towards the front of the stage. Naturally, I want to be as close to the action as possible but I also want to be able to see Keith & Charlie the whole time with my own eyes, not just on the screen. Seeing Charlie's big smile throughout the PPV show was my favorite part of that performance smiling smiley

Sorry for the length of this – I know I’ve asked a boatload of questions. Any advice from people who’ve been in the pit right up front would be much appreciated.

Re: Ques. for those who've been in the pit on the rail
Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 14, 2013 10:25

haven't been in the pit but the first few rows on the side level closest to the stage were incredible. i've been front center 7th row in a past stones show, and i think i preferred this one slightly better, mostly because of the better view of charlie.

Posted by: MrsEdithGrove ()
Date: May 14, 2013 10:34

I was on the rail for the first O2 show and the view was perfect.I am same height - 5'9". You can see everything from ankles upwards. The stage isn't that high - it's probably at about 6ft.

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: May 14, 2013 10:39

Go for the pit, you'll see everything. Also look at the photos people have shot from the first rows.

Posted by: Stoneswolf ()
Date: May 14, 2013 10:46

see my pictures taken from the PIT front row middle in this thread: [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 14, 2013 11:12

At stadium shows, front row usually has a compromised view of the rear of the stage. However, on this tour, the Stones are using a typical arena stage, slightly elevated, but no problem seeing most of the rear of the stage. The one exception might be dead center, where the stage juts out slightly. Otherwise, the view should be fine. I was second row, but it was equal to the rail since the two women in front of me weren't much taller than 5'1". This was my view.

Date: May 14, 2013 11:51

Big thanks everyone for all the great info/advice. Very helpful! It's Pit for me as first choice.

Stoneswolf
see my pictures taken from the PIT front row middle in this thread: [www.iorr.org]

Great shots, Stoneswolf - I think I can even see Jagger's fillings in one of them! Were you shooting w/ your arms over your head? Also, what type of camera & what level zoom did you use? I wasn't planning on taking pics but seeing yours has inspired me to bring my camera (mediocre though it is) or possibly rent a better one.

Date: May 14, 2013 11:56

drbryant
At stadium shows, front row usually has a compromised view of the rear of the stage. However, on this tour, the Stones are using a typical arena stage, slightly elevated, but no problem seeing most of the rear of the stage. The one exception might be dead center, where the stage juts out slightly. Otherwise, the view should be fine. I was second row, but it was equal to the rail since the two women in front of me weren't much taller than 5'1". This was my view.

Awesome video, drbryant - great quality. Watching it, I got so pumped imagining myself seeing the show from the pit that I danced around with my hands in the air and promptly got my left hand whacked by a ceiling fan blade!

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 14, 2013 12:34

I was at the rail on Ronnie's side at both O2 shows. I'm 5'7" and had the most perfect view of everyone and everything - except the drummers going around the arena at the beginning. No cricks in the neck either. I would say anyway that the view is great from anywhere in the pit.

Posted by: Stoneswolf ()
Date: May 14, 2013 15:58

SquealingTea
Big thanks everyone for all the great info/advice. Very helpful! It's Pit for me as first choice.

Stoneswolf

Great shots, Stoneswolf - I think I can even see Jagger's fillings in one of them! Were you shooting w/ your arms over your head? Also, what type of camera & what level zoom did you use? I wasn't planning on taking pics but seeing yours has inspired me to bring my camera (mediocre though it is) or possibly rent a better one.

camera (Fuji W3 3d camera) was just in front of my head. I also did not use zoom as I also took some video shoots that would have ended very shake when using zoom. Damm, Jagger was just 1m away, no need to zoom!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-14 16:31 by Stoneswolf.

Date: May 14, 2013 17:10

Stoneswolf
camera (Fuji W3 3d camera) was just in front of my head. I also did not use zoom as I also took some video shoots that would have ended very shake when using zoom. Damm, Jagger was just 1m away, no need to zoom!

Good to know - thanks providing for the details. Now I know I needn't worry much about zoom capabilities if i decide to rent or buy a better camera for the show. BTW, in the thread you referenced above I saw the link to your pics on the Google photo site & checked them out - many more excellent shots you have there.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 14, 2013 17:16

I was in the pit for the Brooklyn show, standing on Ronnie's side just to the left of Mick's mike stand as you're facing the stage, and in the second row ........ that's to say directly behind the person actually leaning on the rail itself. Spectacular all round views, to be experienced if only the once.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-14 17:48 by paulywaul.

Posted by: clance65 ()
Date: May 14, 2013 18:48

I was front row, Ronnie's side (caught his sweat towel) at the Oakland show. Out of the 36 shows I've attended, this was the best view and experience I've ever had. Nothing like it really.

Don't think twice. If you have your choice, go for the pit. If you want front row....to be safe....get to the arena around 3:00 pm. If you get to the pit meeting place much after 4:00, I'd say you risk getting the front row. However, as many have stated, it seems any spot in the pit is great.

My next two shows are $85 tickets. I should've waited for the one pit experience until after these shows. I'll never be the same.

Posted by: rubyT ()
Date: May 14, 2013 19:50

I was front row, Ronnie's side at the O2 and I'm only 5.1: it was an unforgettable experience.
The only problem was the official photographer or cameraman standing just between the rail and the stage
Not a great view for Charlie or the screen, but so close to Ronnie or Mick !!
The pit is the right choice, not necessarly first row!!

Posted by: mgshorr ()
Date: May 14, 2013 20:06

I was front row pit on 12/15. Agree with the above. View is perfect. You see everything.

One warning. Don't take your hands off the rail for even a second. Everyone was passively trying to push people out all night.

I took my hands off the rail for 10 seconds to take a drink and the woman next to me scooted over and tried to steal my spot. thumbs down

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 14, 2013 20:15

paulywaul
I was in the pit for the Brooklyn show, standing on Ronnie's side just to the left of Mick's mike stand as you're facing the stage, and in the second row ........ that's to say directly behind the person actually leaning on the rail itself. Spectacular all round views, to be experienced if only the once.

Same exact spot for me at O2/25th, absolutely perfect as can be seen in the last link in my sig to the righ "pics from thre pit". Now I'm tall at 6'3" so probably not so good for people behind me in rows 3 to 5 I'm afraid but it's got to come in handy sometimes...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: May 15, 2013 02:34

Was in the pit along the rail on Keith's side in Vegas. The most surreal experience of my life. The stage is head high so you don't have to stain your neck. Seeing Keith six feet in front of you when he comes to the edge of the stage is mind blowing.

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: May 15, 2013 04:18

I have been to theater shows, and actually up front for the Enmore and the Astoria during Licks, and have to say IMO, being at the rail this tour in the pit for the London shows blew those all away. If you get the chance and don't do it, let your friends line up and kick your butt all the way home from the show. The only thing that was better (is Linda lurking here to confirm?) was to be up front in the Pool Circle for the Hollywood Bowl.

Do it my friend, you will never regret the experience .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-15 04:20 by kahoosier.

Date: May 15, 2013 05:31

Thanks for all the responses! I've got a good plan now - arrive at 3, make my way to the rail on Keith's side, grab hold & don't let go (well, maybe let go w/ 1 hand to take pics). I have $85s for June 14, but Pit on June 12 will likely be my last opportunity to be in close proximity, and I'm beyond excited after reading about all the pit experiences posted here. I've always regretted not being able to attend a club or theater show and I'm glad to know Kahoosier found the pit experience to be even better. My credit card won't know what hit it, but it'll all be worth it, no doubt. I love the Stones, as they were and as they are today. I know without question that I will leave that show floating on the highest of highs smiling smiley

BTW, wonderful photos, Gotdablouse. Saw them all via your link. There certainly are some excellent Stones photographers around here!

Posted by: clance65 ()
Date: May 15, 2013 06:16

SquealingTea
Thanks for all the responses! I've got a good plan now - arrive at 3, make my way to the rail on Keith's side, grab hold & don't let go (well, maybe let go w/ 1 hand to take pics). I have $85s for June 14, but Pit on June 12 will likely be my last opportunity to be in close proximity, and I'm beyond excited after reading about all the pit experiences posted here. I've always regretted not being able to attend a club or theater show and I'm glad to know Kahoosier found the pit experience to be even better. My credit card won't know what hit it, but it'll all be worth it, no doubt. I love the Stones, as they were and as they are today. I know without question that I will leave that show floating on the highest of highs smiling smiley

BTW, wonderful photos, Gotdablouse. Saw them all via your link. There certainly are some excellent Stones photographers around here!

Just my opinion here. I love Keith. However, I would recommend Ronnie's side. He puts on a way better show at this point. He'll be *performing* right in front of you all night. Keith is much more stationary and hanging further back.

Either way is great. Just a thought.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-15 09:32 by clance65.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: May 15, 2013 07:41

drbryant

Love Mick's dancing. Wow, the pit would really be an experience of a lifetime.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1255
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home