Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
BORED, IRRITATED, FRUSTRATED, ANGERED BY THE NAYSAYERS! BOBurden W/ KPerry!
Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: May 12, 2013 08:46

I have just heard the band play Beast of Burden, with Katy Perry, it was fantastic!
Their voices harmonised, Charlie Watts' drumming is inventive, really lovely fills, Ron Wood's guitar solo was fantastic, the band is really swinging, and above all Jagger's voice is the best I've heard it in years and years. The rehearsal between Katy Perry and MJ looks like it had been conceived, and was simple but effective for the drama of the song, and I thought Katy Perry's voice really complimented Jagger.

The band are sounding in much better shape than in December at the O2(they were better than 2006-7), and from the other videos I have watched, from the other gigs they have played so far, capable of really interpreting the songs, and at times having an energy and ferocity that is appropriate for the song they are playing, à la Midnight Rambler or Gimme Shelter.

If they play as well as this at Hyde Park on July 6th, I will be absolutely thrilled! I am, as the title of my thread says, truly bored by the amount of embittered criticism, that is generated whenever the Stones bring out a guest, that the "older boys" on this board do not approve of, or think appropriate.

Re: BORED, IRRITATED, FRUSTRATED, ANGERED BY THE NAYSAYERS! BOBurden W/ KPerry!
Posted by: mgshorr ()
Date: May 12, 2013 08:48

Great performance. Only thing I could say after seeing the video was "success"

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: May 12, 2013 08:50

Your entitled to your opinion but the show would have been just as good without her. Perhaps better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-12 08:59 by No Expectations.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: May 12, 2013 08:54

Are you guys high? I thought it sucked!

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 12, 2013 08:56

Keith didn't play for a chunk of the song and everyone got lost halfway through...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-12 08:56 by sonomastone.

Posted by: The Wick ()
Date: May 12, 2013 08:57

Look I like giving everyone a chance, even crap that I hate like Katy Perry but that is one of the worst versions of Beast of Burden I've ever heard. It was total crap. Even Ronnie who has been playing so well so far, butchered that solo. I've heard him play solos on that song that are out of this world but that whole performance was utter crap.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: May 12, 2013 09:08

I'm incredibly excited about seeing the Stones in Chicago - just three more weeks. Some of the comments here lately have been an incredible downer. Ever since I came aboard, most of the camaraderie has come from the excitement and anticipation about another tour. And now that it's here, so many are NEGATIVE. What's up with this? I just don't get it. smoking smiley

Date: May 12, 2013 09:08

guyrachel
I have just heard the band play Beast of Burden, with Katy Perry, it was fantastic!
Their voices harmonised, Charlie Watts' drumming is inventive, really lovely fills, Ron Wood's guitar solo was fantastic, the band is really swinging, and above all Jagger's voice is the best I've heard it in years and years. The rehearsal between Katy Perry and MJ looks like it had been conceived, and was simple but effective for the drama of the song, and I thought Katy Perry's voice really complimented Jagger.

The band are sounding in much better shape than in December at the O2(they were better than 2006-7), and from the other videos I have watched, from the other gigs they have played so far, capable of really interpreting the songs, and at times having an energy and ferocity that is appropriate for the song they are playing, à la Midnight Rambler or Gimme Shelter.

If they play as well as this at Hyde Park on July 6th, I will be absolutely thrilled! I am, as the title of my thread says, truly bored by the amount of embittered criticism, that is generated whenever the Stones bring out a guest, that the "older boys" on this board do not approve of, or think appropriate.

I agree. Fantastic version of Beast!

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 12, 2013 09:11

I am 29 and my wife is 26. Katy Perry sucks. Her image, message and music are terrible. The world needs less singing strippers and more soul singers.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: May 12, 2013 09:16

JumpinJackOLantern
guyrachel

I agree. Fantastic version of Beast!

Can I refer you to a good Otologist. I think you need one.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 12, 2013 09:20

My only criticism is... what is a Beast of Bardon?

Come on Mick... why do you do that?

Date: May 12, 2013 09:24

GravityBoy

It's Beast Of Bardahl isn't it?

Posted by: Brown Moses ()
Date: May 12, 2013 09:30

I'm 50,I like music,I hear KPs stuff on the radio and she's made some good "pop" songs,what's wrong with her ?
I just watched the BOB video...it was ok.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 12, 2013 09:34

I'll wait for a tape to pop up before I express a feeling...

"very diplomatic" indeed!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-12 12:22 by dcba.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: May 12, 2013 09:41

OMG Katy comes in on the bridge when she is not supposed to and the song has to go into damage control, but fails! The rest of the video was a complete and total train wreck. Poor Mick didn't know what and when to sing because Katy derailed the song early on in.

Yikes. The gold standard for BoB is the loose and sleazy Stones from '78 and '81. There is a very long one from '81 that's just fantastic.

I wonder if they only do one or two rehearsals together before the show and then cross their fingers. It's like everybody needed to wear Google glasses to count the bars and get their cues right for the bridges and choruses.

Awful and uncomfortable to watch.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: May 12, 2013 09:47

saw both newark shows they were amazing from start to finish,my 2 compaints 1st the ticket pricing fiasco,steep prices,than 85 dollars may put you next to someone who paid the same.not cool.set list have been good,little warhorsing down the stretch,but played spot on.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: May 12, 2013 09:54

JumpinJackOLantern
GravityBoy

It's Beast Of Bardahl isn't it?
Beast of Bahdah - that makes me nuts- why must he do that?

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: May 12, 2013 11:10

Just one correction to the original post is that they did not harmonize. They sang the same melody so they basically doubled the lead vocal. There was no harmony singing in that song.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 12, 2013 11:59

Best guest ever, best version ever since 1978. smiling smiley No ?

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: May 12, 2013 13:15

"I am, as the title of my thread says, truly bored by the amount of embittered criticism, that is generated whenever the Stones bring out a guest, that the "older boys" on this board do not approve of, or think appropriate."

Ditto. While I personally would prefer a full concert of pure undiluted Stones, come one folks and stop bitching about every little thing that doesn't keep the Stones in a 1973 time warp . It's 20-friggin-13, the Stones are averaging age 70 and you should thank the rock gods that these guys are still playing better than one would have thought possible many years ago. And be grateful they haven't yet succumbed to the embarrassing debacle of someone like Chuck Berry, who's playing in old age but...can't hardly play or sing. At least the Stones are still sounding like the Stones even if Keith's fingers aren't as nimble as in his youth. I've seen so many fantastic videos from this tour. If you like the Stones at all, you should be thrilled that they are still playing live even if you're not thrilled with the guest performers. I think some people just get off on bitching. Sad Sad Sad.

Posted by: wicked67 ()
Date: May 12, 2013 13:53

What you do not write to defend the stones still pathetic! this performance with Katty sucks and nothing else .... let's be serious!

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 12, 2013 14:23

guyrachel

There there. Let it all out. Now who wants some ice cream?

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 12, 2013 15:42

memphiscats
I'm incredibly excited about seeing the Stones in Chicago - just three more weeks. Some of the comments here lately have been an incredible downer. Ever since I came aboard, most of the camaraderie has come from the excitement and anticipation about another tour. And now that it's here, so many are NEGATIVE. What's up with this? I just don't get it. smoking smiley

Yeah, I know what you mean. People are supposed to write how great everything is, this is a fan board, right?

I'm pumped about seeing them in Philly, even though I've seen them 50 or so times before going back to 72, way before they became the Rolling Stones Traveling Vegas Warhorse Greatest Hits 50th Anniversary Show. The people who complain are expecting musicians, expecing an old fashioned rock show, maybe expecting some interaction between the two main guys to indicate they know the other is there, maybe expecting the band's best guitarist to actually plug in instead of playing air guitar backstage while smoking cigarettes. These people have unrealistic expectations, that's why they complain. They just don't get it.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 12, 2013 15:49

There was a comment on the Altamont thread the other day about how there used to be an aura of danger surrounding this band. To borrow a line from the movie "Cabaret," the Stones are now about as dangerous as an after dinner mint.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-12 15:56 by tatters.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 12, 2013 15:54

All of you need to go and buy some cheese to go with your whine.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 12, 2013 16:16

andrewt
guyrachel

I'm in!!!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 12, 2013 16:22

tatters - They are 70 year old survivors of a life of excess. They are not 26 anymore. They are out to celebrate their past songs and make a lot of money doing it why can people not grasp that?? Bob Dylan is doing the same thing albeit on a smaller scale as is the Who. I don't know when the last time I saw a bunch of 70 year old rebels.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 12, 2013 16:29

Munichhilton
andrewt
guyrachel

I'm in!!!

I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!

The "grown-ups" are right, of course - the present day Stones are not what they were. But listening to them saying so endlessly can be as boring as your dad telling you what rubbish modern music is, for the 3465th time. Sometimes I'm very glad that I don't know any better than to enjoy what's still left, while it's still here.

Posted by: bart-man ()
Date: May 12, 2013 16:31

Maybe they've could have asked Bette Midler...

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 12, 2013 16:35

Green Lady
Munichhilton
andrewt
guyrachel

I'm in!!!

I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!

The "grown-ups" are right, of course - the present day Stones are not what they were. But listening to them saying so endlessly can be as boring as your dad telling you what rubbish modern music is, for the 3465th time. Sometimes I'm very glad that I don't know any better than to enjoy what's still left, while it's still here.

I was always told to squeeze blood from a stone...I expect more from my Stones than they can give!!!

Sadly, it's now the Rolling Stones Revue...

Do we get sprinkles?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2001
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home