Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Sway - play it already with Mick Taylor
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 10, 2013 04:36

DandelionPowderman
Overrated song, hence not a classic - and not in the setlist at the time it was released.

Not only is Sway not overrated, I can make an argument that it is the quinessential Stones song: A great vocal by Mick Jagger with melancholy, thoughtful, heartfelt lyrics, classic powerful open G guitar (played by Jagger!), a certain country vibe, a fantastic performance by Charlie and Bill, great harmonies by Keith, and soaring guitar work by Mick Taylor. What's not to like?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-10 04:36 by 71Tele.

Date: May 10, 2013 07:04

sway is one of the best stones songs there is, ever

and MT is a huge reason for that

so play it with MT

or dont play it at all

capiche?

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: May 10, 2013 07:14

DandelionPowderman
Overrated song, hence not a classic - and not in the setlist at the time it was released.

Are you serious!!!! Like to see you write and record better! This I would love to see, maybe they should have a set of songs for Taylor and put the vote out to fans as to which 2 they'd like him to perform on at each show? I think the list should go something like this:

Gimme Shelter
Sway
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Midnight Rambler
Satisfaction
Ventilator Blues
Heartbreaker
Street Fighting Man

Just a thought Sir Mick if you happen to read this!!!!

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Date: May 10, 2013 07:21

Nasty Habits
DandelionPowderman

Are you serious!!!! Like to see you write and record better! This I would love to see, maybe they should have a set of songs for Taylor and put the vote out to fans as to which 2 they'd like him to perform on at each show? I think the list should go something like this:

Gimme Shelter
Sway
Midnight Rambler
Satisfaction
Ventilator Blues
Heartbreaker
Street Fighting Man

you forgot winter and time waits for no one

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 10, 2013 07:28

pinkfloydthebarber
Nasty Habits
DandelionPowderman

Gimme Shelter
Sway
Midnight Rambler
Satisfaction
Ventilator Blues
Heartbreaker
Street Fighting Man

Putting winter or time waits for no one on the same list as gimme shelter is like taking a photo with Marianne faithful and Mandy smith next to each other.

Date: May 10, 2013 07:33

sonomastone
pinkfloydthebarber
Nasty Habits
DandelionPowderman

Gimme Shelter
Sway
Midnight Rambler
Satisfaction
Ventilator Blues
Heartbreaker
Street Fighting Man

Putting winter or time waits for no one on the same list as gimme shelter is like taking a photo with Marianne faithful and Mandy smith next to each other.

not quite

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 10, 2013 08:23

Don't think Sway will make for a great live song in an arena. It's a wonderful record though. Jagger singing Time Waits For No One live has the potential to be insufferable. Heartbreaker would be cool. I remember well when I told this board that Mick Taylor was in the studio with Matt Clifford working on the Exile project. Who'd have thought that you'd all be so quickly complacent that he's actually playing with the band live and demanding he play the whole set!

Of course Beast of Burden is one of my two or three favorite Stones songs so I guess I'm out of the norm here. And I saw them first in '69...

Date: May 10, 2013 10:50

71Tele
DandelionPowderman

Not only is Sway not overrated, I can make an argument that it is the quinessential Stones song: A great vocal by Mick Jagger with melancholy, thoughtful, heartfelt lyrics, classic powerful open G guitar (played by Jagger!), a certain country vibe, a fantastic performance by Charlie and Bill, great harmonies by Keith, and soaring guitar work by Mick Taylor. What's not to like?

Well, I don't think it is a fantastic performance by Charlie at all. In fact he is quite off a few times in there.

The song and the melody line is pretty standard to me. Compared to BS, WH, CYHMK, YGM, Bitch, IGTB, SM, DF and MM it remains a lightweight in my book, even though Taylor plays a beautiful guitar in there - it doesn't save the song for me.

I like the string arrangement, though.

That being said, it's not a bad song. Not at all. But compared to these other classics it doesn't quite hold up, that's all.

Date: May 10, 2013 10:51

Nasty Habits
DandelionPowderman

Gimme Shelter
Sway
Midnight Rambler
Satisfaction
Ventilator Blues
Heartbreaker
Street Fighting Man

My point is that the Stones wrote and recorded better on the rest of Sticky Fingers. The rest of the songs on the album is simply better, imo - hence overrated. No one is screaming for I Got The Blues, for instance, one of the most beautiful things they ever wrote (and played).

Date: May 10, 2013 11:00

Nasty Habits
DandelionPowderman

Are you serious!!!! Like to see you write and record better!

And the Taylorites wonder why they get a bad name...

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: May 10, 2013 11:28

sonomastone
Nasty Habits
DandelionPowderman

Who are you referring to here? My point DandelionPowderman is that we have the great version of I Got The Blues caught on film at the Marquee in 71 with Taylor. Moonlight Mile is also another great track but I just think they'd be able to pull off Sway way better. Also I'm sure you've probably heard some of the live versions Mick Taylor has played of Sway over the years, it would just be nice to hear him perform it with Stones, that in itself would be a first.

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Date: May 10, 2013 11:53

Nasty Habits
sonomastone
Nasty Habits
DandelionPowderman

Who are you referring to here? My point DandelionPowderman is that we have the great version of I Got The Blues caught on film at the Marquee in 71 with Taylor. Moonlight Mile is also another great track but I just think they'd be able to pull off Sway way better. Also I'm sure you've probably heard some of the live versions Mick Taylor has played of Sway over the years, it would just be nice to hear him perform it with Stones, that in itself would be a first.

Of course I've heard the live versions of Sway, and Taylor's playing on those is absolutely stellar. However, guitar solos alone won't save mediocre songs. The Stones is not merely a vehicle for Taylor's solos, it's a band he has to contribute to the songs with.

Therefore, I would personally have preferred stuff like Moonlight Mile, CYHMK or I Got The Blues, if I should choose a SF-song he played on.

Sway will be like in Austin, with two longer (and probably better) guitar solos. It's not enough, imo - choose a really good song, to get out his potential.

Date: May 10, 2013 11:55

DandelionPowderman
Nasty Habits
sonomastone
Nasty Habits
DandelionPowderman

Of course I've heard the live versions of Sway, and Taylor's playing on those is absolutely stellar. However, guitar solos alone won't save mediocre songs. The Stones is not merely a vehicle for Taylor's solos, it's a band he has to contribute to the songs with.

Therefore, I would personally have preferred stuff like Moonlight Mile, CYHMK or I Got The Blues, if I should choose a SF-song he played on.

Sway will be like in Austin, with two longer (and probably better) guitar solos. It's not enough, imo - choose a really good song, to get out his potential.

sway is a great song, but mick jagger has sung it so badly live, i'd want to know they were really in it to win it if they were going to play it again.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 10, 2013 12:17

Nasty Habits

If you want to trot out the Marquee Club then it has my favorite version of Dead Flowers with Mick Taylor's playing inscribed all over it. Of course I would love to hear this version on the present tour. Not perfect and identical but based on the Marquee Club's Dead Flowers. This can be found on you tube by itself or as part of the entire Marquee Club performance. Mick is kinda swishy over the entire performance which is hilarious. MickJ ya dopes!smiling smiley Not MickT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-10 12:18 by triceratops.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: May 10, 2013 16:50

i think you are losing this discussion Dandelion.
Sway has never been overrated...in fact its an underrated great song.
of course not up with the warhorses which you are obviously accustomed to..

now, the current day version is lame, BUT with MT back on stage its worth having another crack at it with 3 guitars.
The MT solo would be nice to hear.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 10, 2013 16:56

pinkfloydthebarber
sonomastone
pinkfloydthebarber
Nasty Habits
DandelionPowderman

Gimme Shelter
Sway
Midnight Rambler
Satisfaction
Ventilator Blues
Heartbreaker
Street Fighting Man

not quite

it's more like having a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with french fries, actually.

Date: May 10, 2013 16:57

DandelionPowderman
Nasty Habits
sonomastone
Nasty Habits
DandelionPowderman

you're not swaying many here with your logic

Date: May 10, 2013 17:01

GRNRBITW
DandelionPowderman
Nasty Habits
sonomastone
Nasty Habits
DandelionPowderman

You're up too early today, Tod...

Date: May 10, 2013 17:03

DandelionPowderman
GRNRBITW
DandelionPowderman
Nasty Habits
sonomastone
Nasty Habits
DandelionPowderman

You're up too early today, Tod...

if u like, i'll go asway...

Date: May 10, 2013 17:08

Asway Cat Blues? Why not? winking smiley

Date: May 10, 2013 17:18

DandelionPowderman
Asway Cat Blues? Why not? winking smiley

anysway you look at it

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 10, 2013 17:28

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

Well, I don't think it is a fantastic performance by Charlie at all. In fact he is quite off a few times in there.

The song and the melody line is pretty standard to me. Compared to BS, WH, CYHMK, YGM, Bitch, IGTB, SM, DF and MM it remains a lightweight in my book, even though Taylor plays a beautiful guitar in there - it doesn't save the song for me.

I like the string arrangement, though.

That being said, it's not a bad song. Not at all. But compared to these other classics it doesn't quite hold up, that's all.

yes it does. smoking smiley

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 10, 2013 17:33

It's hard to overrate well thought out lyrics, unequalled vocals, classic drums, swelling orchestration, solid recording, Gibson distortion, slow fading and immense soloing.

Hard to overrate and hard to recreate...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 10, 2013 17:40

Unequalled vocals? They are good, but not that good. Immense soloing! It's good, but not that good. >grinning smiley<

Date: May 10, 2013 17:46

is it okay to say carla olson outsang jagger on this one?

Date: May 10, 2013 17:48

His Majesty
Unequalled vocals? They are good, but not that good. Immense soloing! It's good, but not that good. >grinning smiley<

Its just that demon life. You're in it's sway...

Date: May 10, 2013 17:48

GRNRBITW

Tis fine, but Taylor waddles way too much on that live version.

Date: May 10, 2013 17:51

His Majesty
GRNRBITW

he was pregnant at the time, you know...

Date: May 10, 2013 17:52

GRNRBITW
His Majesty
GRNRBITW

he was pregnant at the time, you know...

You can see the babies elbow...oh wait. No fat jokes...I'm in therapy.

Date: May 10, 2013 17:53

Lol, waddles, I meant widdles. grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1545
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home