Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

So what are the current odds that Hyde Park will be the very last time the Rolling Stones perform
Posted by: bigbitch ()
Date: May 7, 2013 04:12

based on people's vibes about this tour thus far (admittedly just beginning)...I have no information but I got this feeling that if this tour proceeds as is then Glastonbury and Hyde Park become the markers for the rest and that there is better than 50-50 chance that Hyde Park completes a circle of sorts and they finish it then and there.

What do others think?

Re: So what are the current odds that Hyde Park will be the very last time the Rolling Stones perform
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 7, 2013 04:14

I think threads prediciting the demise of the Stones are over rated and over done.

Re: So what are the current odds that Hyde Park will be the very last time the Rolling Stones perform
Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: May 7, 2013 04:18

I read the same things for years now. Haha. What else can they do but sing in a rock n roll band!
As long as they stay alive they will tour.

What I really hope we get is a New Album.

Date: May 7, 2013 04:29

I hear you like many I have been religously following them since the early 70s and I think it is fair to say that there is no fuggin way this Tour even gets off the ground without Mick Jagger.

If this ticket fugg up continues I truly think Mick is going to say 'I have had enough.' Charlie can absolutely take it or leave it more likely leave it, Woody well he is about the only one that would want and probably could go on forever. Mick finally now has an escape hatch and I honestly question whether his heart is in it anymore - and I am not talking about the shows - once he steps out there he brings it every night....but does he really care anymore? He kept this creaky enterprise afloat for an extra 10 years and absolutely gave us the Exile and Brussels treatments that were well deserved and well done by Mick.

Keith - is an old man now....and let's give our boy props for even getting this far..I love him...but there is nothing there in the creative tank and if people are being honest with themselves they will admit that...that is no knock on Keith ..it's just reality...and it pretty darn clear that Mick's and Keith's relationship is broken and even the most romantic of thoughts that they could honestly work together - let alone - come up with something creative, fitting, and statement-like in this stage of the game is fantasy I am afraid.

It bums me out because I have never had the Stones come through Chicago where I have not been there...I have hesitated and not made any plans necessarily to make the effort. Perhaps it speaks to me more than them but I am not sure...

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 7, 2013 06:17

There are no odds.

50 & Counting.....

Date: May 7, 2013 06:45

bigbitch
based on people's vibes about this tour thus far (admittedly just beginning)...I have no information but I got this feeling that if this tour proceeds as is then Glastonbury and Hyde Park become the markers for the rest and that there is better than 50-50 chance that Hyde Park completes a circle of sorts and they finish it then and there.

What do others think?

A new album just has to be the next action following the tour. I have heard they may continue with another leg of 50 and Counting in the fall, but I hope they instead head straight for the studio. Time is of the essence. They have proven they are still a mighty powerful force as a live act and in doing so they have enhanced their legacy. It could be they really believe they are going to rock out until they are 75 and beyond. How amazing would that be? Especially if they are creating new classics while doing so.

Date: May 7, 2013 07:04

bigbitch
I hear you like many I have been religously following them since the early 70s and I think it is fair to say that there is no fuggin way this Tour even gets off the ground without Mick Jagger.

If this ticket fugg up continues I truly think Mick is going to say 'I have had enough.' Charlie can absolutely take it or leave it more likely leave it, Woody well he is about the only one that would want and probably could go on forever. Mick finally now has an escape hatch and I honestly question whether his heart is in it anymore - and I am not talking about the shows - once he steps out there he brings it every night....but does he really care anymore? He kept this creaky enterprise afloat for an extra 10 years and absolutely gave us the Exile and Brussels treatments that were well deserved and well done by Mick.

Keith - is an old man now....and let's give our boy props for even getting this far..I love him...but there is nothing there in the creative tank and if people are being honest with themselves they will admit that...that is no knock on Keith ..it's just reality...and it pretty darn clear that Mick's and Keith's relationship is broken and even the most romantic of thoughts that they could honestly work together - let alone - come up with something creative, fitting, and statement-like in this stage of the game is fantasy I am afraid.

It bums me out because I have never had the Stones come through Chicago where I have not been there...I have hesitated and not made any plans necessarily to make the effort. Perhaps it speaks to me more than them but I am not sure...

Sometimes it's hard to keep the faith. We all want things now. Something tells me they are going to pull it together and get back to writing great music together. Mick and Keith have to come together, forgive one another, and go write that one last great album, together. If there is a problem between them then someone close to them needs to sit down with both of them and tell them how important it is to so many that they close this thing out right. There is no reason for 70 year old men that have worked together for a half century to not be getting along. If there is a problem then I would sure like to know what exactly that problem is. No obstacle is too big to overcome when there is a willingness to forgive.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 7, 2013 07:50

I never thought they'd be playing shows in 2012 and 2013 so I'd be quite happy to be wrong again and have them play after Hyde Park this year.

So perhaps this is the way the Stones
Date: May 6, 2013 22:38

end....as TS Eliot noted the world ends:

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

I suppose it's a little early and perhaps there is some expectations that the bar will be raised one last time at a Hyde Park show perhaps or Glastonbury...but sidelining Mick T, baffling special guest selections, and seriously curious start to a Rolling Stones Tour I have ever seen was kind of the worry about a tour like this.

In the end it won't diminish my ultimate view of my favorite band ever...I have Exile, Ya's-Ya's, Tatoo You, Brussels Affair to remind me of what once was...

Re: So perhaps this is the way the Stones
Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 6, 2013 22:38

I don't know what you mean, their show in Oakland last night was awesome. Not perfect, but awesome.

Date: May 6, 2013 22:43

sonomastone I was not there and I am glad to hear you had a great time...but for me I saw nothing new under the sun (from what I could gleam from that and LA).

I am just saying that it is feeling a bit forced as an enterprise - not necessarily any given show - which undoubtedly our boys have the talent to pull off now and again.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: May 6, 2013 23:16

I think that after 50 years it's a little tough to have 'new stuff under the sun' even if they are still able to pull out first-time plays of past singles.

If you're reading, keep on rolling please, Mick!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 7, 2013 04:00

I think the band is playing great. Can't wait for Boston

Posted by: tiffjagger ()
Date: May 7, 2013 04:03

Nothing at all wrong with the band. The ticket selling strategy is the problem.
I can't wait to see the Stones!

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 7, 2013 04:06

Over?

Uh, no.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 7, 2013 04:10

bigbitch
sonomastone I was not there and I am glad to hear you had a great time...but for me I saw nothing new under the sun (from what I could gleam from that and LA).

I am just saying that it is feeling a bit forced as an enterprise - not necessarily any given show - which undoubtedly our boys have the talent to pull off now and again.

I was there. It was a decent greatest-hits show (is there any other kind of Stones show these days?), with a lot of flubs, some high points (Tom Waits and Mick Taylor), and a few things they should honestly retire (the two new "songs" and that horrid version of Sympathy). Lots of smiles, lots of twang, a great Charlie Watts performance, a pretty good Ron Wood performance, a very good Gimme Shelter. But you know what? I don't need any more. I think I'm done, folks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-07 04:12 by 71Tele.

Date: May 7, 2013 04:11

The Stones will be still rolling long after everyone here is gone and people predicting a sooner demise will be wrong.

Date: May 7, 2013 04:39

71 Tele - But you know what? I don't need any more. I think I'm done, folks.

I guess that is the crux of it for me...I personally believe the Stones should have put out new material and played new material for the last several tours and committed to it. I saw them in 78 and they played 8 songs - in a row - from Some Girls...now that is a band that is in the moment...I would have vastly preferred smaller venues with a new album or some truly creative use of Mick Taylor or even Album oriented shows...Of course I am stitching fart to moonbeams with the political realities of the Rolling Stones...

Mick lost his creative edge and confidence to let it rip...and that partly is has to be because of his apparently irretrievable and broken partnership with Keith had basically dried up in 1992.

Posted by: Undercover1 ()
Date: May 7, 2013 04:48

LOL...they are all close to or over 70 !!!...lol...what do u want?
I thinks it's pretty @#$%& cool!!!!

Undercover1

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 7, 2013 04:58

bigbitch

I guess that is the crux of it for me...I personally believe the Stones should have put out new material and played new material for the last several tours and committed to it. I saw them in 78 and they played 8 songs - in a row - from Some Girls...now that is a band that is in the moment...I would have vastly preferred smaller venues with a new album or some truly creative use of Mick Taylor or even Album oriented shows...Of course I am stitching fart to moonbeams with the political realities of the Rolling Stones...

Mick lost his creative edge and confidence to let it rip...and that partly is has to be because of his apparently irretrievable and broken partnership with Keith had basically dried up in 1992.

This is exactly it.

Date: May 7, 2013 05:09

71Tele
bigbitch

This is exactly it.

That is exactly two peoples opinions...

I on the other have a much more optimistic view.....
and somewhere in the middle, or on the outside, may be the truth.
I am not really into dreaming I know KNOW how things are in Mick's head.

I either enjoy the results... or not.. AND the day I dont, I WILL MOVE ON.
I wont hang around here complaining, being a Debbie Downer, about something that is
supposed to be fun. FUN MUSIC. Its supposed to be fun.... NOT ANALYZED TO DEATH. ITS ONLY ROCK AND ROLL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-07 05:12 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 7, 2013 05:09

Undercover1
LOL...they are all close to or over 70 !!!...lol...what do u want?
I thinks it's pretty @#$%& cool!!!!

Undercover1

But creativity is an act of the imagination, not an act of physical exertion. Picasso painted until he was 90. It's not like "sewing farts to moonbeams", as a poster above mentioned. You just need to have put in your 10,000 sewing hours, which The Stones already have.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 7, 2013 05:17

I've committed to see them June 12 in Boston and hopefully bump into BV before the show to say hi. Hopefully everyone is lubed sufficiently enough to just enjoy and not over analyze. Haha

Posted by: leatherjacket ()
Date: May 7, 2013 11:02

bigbitch

I suppose it's a little early and perhaps there is some expectations that the bar will be raised one last time at a Hyde Park show perhaps or Glastonbury...but sidelining Mick T, baffling special guest selections, and seriously curious start to a Rolling Stones Tour I have ever seen was kind of the worry about a tour like this.

In the end it won't diminish my ultimate view of my favorite band ever...I have Exile, Ya's-Ya's, Tatoo You, Brussels Affair to remind me of what once was...

No one of the people whining on this board get even close to what the Stones still achieve

Date: May 7, 2013 17:09

leatherjacket
bigbitch

No one of the people whining on this board get even close to what the Stones still achieve

Now I am not sure where I ever said that. Too many people think that one cannot offer critical comments of the Band without it being a complete affront to all that is Rock and Roll. Come on - yes I get it the band members are 70 years old, and yes I still think they can kick major ass as they did in December for example.

The Stones are the ones who reintroduced Mick Taylor in the fold - and is it really too much to expect if you have gone that far for him to play on more than one song. Is it too much to seriously question a very very badly played hand on ticket pricing? I don't think so.

The name of the Tour is 50 and counting....and by it's very nature one can legitimately ask how it all fits into the mythology and realities of the Rolling Stones - of which much has been invested by many.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 7, 2013 17:57

bigbitch

I am going to two Chicago shows and feel the exact same way. The setlist is boring and there doesn't seem to be a 'point' to the tour aside from making as much money as possible.

Let me say this... If they do not change the setlist drastically this will be the most bootlegged and least-listened-to tour of all time.

Every single song is available for listening/watching after every show, some even during the show (thank you Google+ and instant upload!).. If they were priced reasonably we would all be celebrating and the vibe would be COMPLETELY different.

Date: May 7, 2013 18:02

flacnvinyl
bigbitch

I am going to two Chicago shows and feel the exact same way. The setlist is boring and there doesn't seem to be a 'point' to the tour aside from making as much money as possible.

Let me say this... If they do not change the setlist drastically this will be the most bootlegged and least-listened-to tour of all time.

Every single song is available for listening/watching after every show, some even during the show (thank you Google+ and instant upload!).. If they were priced reasonably we would all be celebrating and the vibe would be COMPLETELY different.

My take exactly.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 7, 2013 18:10

Max'sKansasCity
71Tele
bigbitch

This is exactly it.

That is exactly two peoples opinions...

I on the other have a much more optimistic view.....
and somewhere in the middle, or on the outside, may be the truth.
I am not really into dreaming I know KNOW how things are in Mick's head.

I either enjoy the results... or not.. AND the day I dont, I WILL MOVE ON.
I wont hang around here complaining, being a Debbie Downer, about something that is
supposed to be fun. FUN MUSIC. Its supposed to be fun.... NOT ANALYZED TO DEATH. ITS ONLY ROCK AND ROLL.

oh come on. i enjoying hating the stones and making fun of them much more than i ever enjoyed liking them. don't knock it until you've tried it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1726
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home