Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Who was the first punk rocker?
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: May 7, 2013 09:49

Antonio Vivaldi

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 7, 2013 09:54

whitem8
Really guys, you folks who are naming late 60s, 70s, 80s, stars they all go back to the source, leather rockers of the 50s and garage rock of the 60s. A whole group of seedy bad boys who upset the status quo and stormed the psyche of the youth, and terrified parents. And a lot of the modern punk music is based on the simplicity of 50s rock. Gene Vincent was a bad ass...
But it is important to remember that Punk Rock was inspired by the great garage rock of the early and mid 60s. A lot of those bands would be the first full fledged punk bands. The Kingsman and Louie Louie was a definite template for all things punk.

Not all the garage bands were that terrifying, and the Kingsmen were really too clean-cut to fit the image of punk.

The Kingsmen from Portland, Oregon.

Gene Vincent also used to hang out with The Beatles in the early 60s--he really looked a dead ringer for John Lennon around that time.

Gene Vincent with The Beatles in Hamburg, 1962.

But I see what you mean when it came to garage bands playing a "protopunk" type of ferocious rock n roll, so in that sense one could make a case for Sky Saxon and The Seeds.

You could also make a case for the Mods of the UK in the early to mid-60s, which was the first example of a new youth culture rebelling against the rock n roll culture of the 50s--which was also a hallmark of the 70s UK punk bands.

Australian Mod soul group Phil Jones and The Unknown Blues with Pick A Bale Of Cotton, 1967:

UK Mod band The High Numbers with Gotta Dance To Keep From Crying, 1964:

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 7, 2013 09:54

Posted by: SquealingTea ()
Date: May 7, 2013 10:45

Come On
It's Johnny...

JT actually hated being called a punk and hated it when his music was referred to as punk rock. He always said he played rock & roll

Check out the interview, linked below, starting at 10:25 and you can hear him say it yourself (sorry, I'm new here and couldn't figure how to embed the vids directly into this post)

[youtu.be]

He also strongly rejects being labeled punk in another interview, linked below, at 00:45 (and he speaks about how Keith influenced him and Chuck influenced Keith, etc, at 4:33).

[youtu.be]

I'm a JT fan, and you obviously have much affection for him as well, but If he were here, I don't think he'd appreciate being promoted as the 1st punk rocker. That said, I love all the great pics you've posted smiling smiley

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 7, 2013 10:54

...If you're talking early garage, then the Sonics are n° 1 as arch-punks, imo.

If you're talking atitude & violence on stage, I think Jerry Lee Lewis is a tough act to beat... (ever seen tapes of his live gigs?!? My, my.)

If you're talking guitar sound, I never got passed the solo by Buddy Holly on Peggy Sue as being the first piece of punk guitar... Just a thought.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 7, 2013 11:03

Punk-Rock at it's best...and listen to Thunders guitar....Steve Jones is the Copy Cat No 1 here....

2 1 2 0

Date: May 7, 2013 11:14

SquealingTea
Come On
It's Johnny...

JT actually hated being called a punk and hated it when his music was referred to as punk rock. He always said he played rock & roll

Check out the interview, linked below, starting at 10:25 and you can hear him say it yourself (sorry, I'm new here and couldn't figure how to embed the vids directly into this post)

[youtu.be]

He also strongly rejects being labeled punk in another interview, linked below, at 00:45 (and he speaks about how Keith influenced him and Chuck influenced Keith, etc, at 4:33).

[youtu.be]

I'm a JT fan, and you obviously have much affection for him as well, but If he were here, I don't think he'd appreciate being promoted as the 1st punk rocker. That said, I love all the great pics you've posted smiling smiley

grinning smiley I wouldn't like to be called a Punk either..but he's style is copied by the punkers even if he preferred to be called rock-artist which he naturally also is...He never played in a pure punk-band....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 7, 2013 11:46

As far as bad boy punks go then Cain was definitely in there before the rest.

Posted by: MarshaH ()
Date: May 7, 2013 11:59

Arthur Lee invented punk.

Posted by: SquealingTea ()
Date: May 7, 2013 12:01

Come On
SquealingTea
Come On
It's Johnny...

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

grinning smiley I wouldn't like to be called a Punk either..but he's style is copied by the punkers even if he preferred to be called rock-artist which he naturally also is...He never played in a pure punk-band

True, his style/look & FU attitude influenced punks. Several British punk musicians cite Johnny's appearance w/ the Dolls in 73 on the Old Grey Whistle Test (in his black leather skull jacket & trousers w/ ever-present sneer) as a big inspiration. However, his music was raw rock & roll (as you say above,"He never played in a pure punk-band" ). By the same token, His Dolls-era style was copied even more so by tons of 80's hair metal bands, but Johnny was certainly not a hair metaler, either. His style/persona influenced punk & metal bands, but his own music was not of either genre. He said he wasn't a punk & he should know - I believe him. Just my opinion, of course!

Long story longer, JT was not the first punk rocker, but he did heavily inspire my ventriloquist dummy, Danny Doll, who IS the first punk rocker

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-07 12:19 by SquealingTea.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 7, 2013 12:16

Moulty

Posted by: Keef1966 ()
Date: May 7, 2013 13:02

Easy question... Hank Williams.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 7, 2013 13:25

Keef1966
Easy question... Hank Williams.

...Exactly. We've got a winner!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 7, 2013 13:38

So it's not Billy Idol then?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 7, 2013 14:19

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: May 7, 2013 14:22

Patti Smith Quotes:

"I think Mozart was a punk rocker. It's a state of mind."

Date: May 7, 2013 14:46

franzk
Patti Smith Quotes:

"I think Mozart was a punk rocker. It's a state of mind."

I think Mozart is a Ba Rocker if you want to qoute me also....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 7, 2013 14:49

Smith is right! Mozart was! For sure.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: May 7, 2013 15:00

drbryant
Moulty

Moulty invented Boston punk. Or punk with a Boston accent, at least.

Date: May 7, 2013 19:57

franzk
Antonio Vivaldi

If you're gonna vote for Vivaldi, you may as well vote for Bach as well.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: May 7, 2013 20:08

stonehearted
Come On
DiscoVolante
Come On
It's Johnny...
A Keith Richards copycat can't possibly be the first punk rocker. Then Keith has to be the first.

btw copying what? Hardly Keiths way to play...and Keith copyed Little Richard and Little Richard copyed afafasfa and so on...it's the music that counts and Johnny Thunders was the first punk rocker! Maclaren even told his guys to watch what Dolls were doin....

Actually, Maclaren got the safety pin clothes and spiky hair idea from Richard Meyers aka Richard Hell, when he saw Hell in the band Television during his stay in New York. Also, the future Marky Ramone (Marc Bell) used to play drums for the Voidoids, a band also comprised of the great Robert Quine, who later played with Lou Reed. Hell was also in an early lineup of The Heartbreakers. He was also in an early 70s band called Neon Boys (which also included Tom Verlaine, before they formed Television in 1973).

Richard Hell in 1979 from the movie Blank Generation.

I'd give an arm and leg to see the movie "Blank Generation" (well, maybe a finger nail). The Voidoids were a great band.

Jerry Lee Lewis, Link Ray and arguably Frank Sinatra played into the wild man rebel image of a Punk Rocker LONG before any of these later disciples of the genre.

CBII

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: May 7, 2013 20:09

not the first or the last

Date: May 7, 2013 23:44

CBII
stonehearted
Come On
DiscoVolante
Come On
It's Johnny...
A Keith Richards copycat can't possibly be the first punk rocker. Then Keith has to be the first.

btw copying what? Hardly Keiths way to play...and Keith copyed Little Richard and Little Richard copyed afafasfa and so on...it's the music that counts and Johnny Thunders was the first punk rocker! Maclaren even told his guys to watch what Dolls were doin....

Actually, Maclaren got the safety pin clothes and spiky hair idea from Richard Meyers aka Richard Hell, when he saw Hell in the band Television during his stay in New York. Also, the future Marky Ramone (Marc Bell) used to play drums for the Voidoids, a band also comprised of the great Robert Quine, who later played with Lou Reed. Hell was also in an early lineup of The Heartbreakers. He was also in an early 70s band called Neon Boys (which also included Tom Verlaine, before they formed Television in 1973).

Richard Hell in 1979 from the movie Blank Generation.

I'd give an arm and leg to see the movie "Blank Generation" (well, maybe a finger nail). The Voidoids were a great band.

Jerry Lee Lewis, Link Ray and arguably Frank Sinatra played into the wild man rebel image of a Punk Rocker LONG before any of these later disciples of the genre.

If you have 78 minutes 36 seconds to give, that will be enough because you can watch the full movie here.

Agreed on your comment on Jerry Lee and Link, but in the late 50s Sinatra referred to rockers as "cretinous goons"--that is, until he finally reconsidered and began covering The Beatles. Sinatra was more steeped in tradition--more of a "wise guy" in the Italian "family" sense, if you know what I mean.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1409
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home