Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
If You're Mick Taylor . . .
Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: May 6, 2013 07:37

This has to be the best time to be Mick Taylor in a long time.

All I mean by that is that he's got to be having a bit of fun with this. I was watching One More Shot again and couldn't help but notice how much Taylor was enjoying the moment.

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-06 07:49 by camper88.

Re: If You're Mick Taylor . . .
Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: May 6, 2013 07:54

I'm sure it is. After being so famous, being a Rolling Stone only to find yourself later playing club gigs and being known as the guy who quit, being back on the big stage must be thrilling. Some redemption. Plus now he has his own Warriors jersey, which was probably a life long ambition.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 6, 2013 08:30

If you're Mick Taylor, you feel like one lucky s.o.b. Hope they are paying him well. He should be used throughout the shows, but that would make us all realize how much better he is than Keith or Ronnie on guitar and we can't have that now, can we?

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 6, 2013 08:49

you're probably asking yourself why the f**k you've been asked to contribute to just one song per show, and the SAME song at that !

A bit like the rest of us then, who are asking ourselves much the same thing ....

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 6, 2013 09:55

paulywaul

you're probably asking yourself why the f**k you've been asked to contribute to just one song per show, and the SAME song at that !

A bit like the rest of us then, who are asking ourselves much the same thing ....

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 6, 2013 09:55

I am sure he is enjoying, and getting a better compensation than of his regular gigs, but I guess it might also feel a bit awkward to do a tour with the band to do just one song per night. But then again, if we leave the artistic ambitions aside,I suppose that there are not many musicians in the world getting paid better to do just one song/night, so it just not that bad from that point of view...grinning smiley

But in any case it is a gig very different to his normal routines, and to be in the heart of the big music business again, with limousines and all (even though I always have had an impression of him that it doesn't matter that much to him.)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-06 09:57 by Doxa.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 6, 2013 09:56

Keith posited in Crossfire Hurricane that Midnight Rambler was the one song he and Mick wrote that no one else could have. So at least MT is being used for a cause Keith deems very important. I have no idea what the thinking behind restricting MT to just one song is. It could be any or all of the things people have guessed at, but in any occasion, it seems that he is going to be limited.

Posted by: Gibson668 ()
Date: May 6, 2013 10:02

Hairball
paulywaul

I second the motion...

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 6, 2013 10:41

TeddyB1018
Keith posited in Crossfire Hurricane that Midnight Rambler was the one song he and Mick wrote that no one else could have. So at least MT is being used for a cause Keith deems very important. I have no idea what the thinking behind restricting MT to just one song is. It could be any or all of the things people have guessed at, but in any occasion, it seems that he is going to be limited.

I have reached the conclusion that it is because he is simply billed as a "special guest", and a special guest comes on for a song and then departs.

To be blessed with a mini-set or a full show like so many here would like to see, he would have to be billed as a "returning band member", one who has "un-left" The Stones--like Bill Wyman could have been if only he had reconsidered and taken up their perennial open-door offer to rejoin them for a tour. Wyman has said that each time after he left when they would go out on tour they would offer him the job, but he would always turn it down, so in the end he was treated merely as a guest.

And as Mick Taylor is learning, a good guest never complains and knows how to be just a guest, without wearing out his welcome.

Posted by: greenriver ()
Date: May 6, 2013 10:44

They use him as a bonus for their tour. That's all. He spent less time on stage than the chorists. Let him played a real solo on gimme shelter, heartbreaker or ycagwyw and not this brouhaha on midnight rambler. 3 guitar players are too much for a band like the rolling stones. They are not lynyrd skynyrd to play with zillion guitarists. In other way, that could be like 2 months of vaccations with only 1 song to play every 2 or 3 days. If the money is there, this is somewhere a good deal.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 6, 2013 11:08

He sat behind Charlie's drum kit during Tumbling Dice, watching the band and tapping his foot. At first I thought this meant he would be called back. Alas, no...

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 6, 2013 11:27

I was not impressed by him on midnight rambler in Oakland. He was sloppy and confused IMO - the sloppiest and most confused on the stage, which is saying something.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: May 6, 2013 11:28

He should refuse to leave the stage. It would be interesting to see how the Glimmers would handle that.

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: May 6, 2013 11:31

sonomastone
I was not impressed by him on midnight rambler in Oakland. He was sloppy and confused IMO - the sloppiest and most confused on the stage, which is saying something.

I saw you mentioned potential sobriety concerns in the Oakland thread. If that is correct, and MT is responsible for his marginal involvement thus far it will be tragic. But - he looks better than he has for years, so the conclusion I had drawn is that he's pretty healthy/living clean at the moment. At least he looks that way in recent pictures?

Date: May 6, 2013 11:32

He seemed out of it enough in Oakland to do something like that. He looked like he was about to fall over. Have you seen a video? His dancing was definitely an unpleasant surprise.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: May 6, 2013 11:40

It must be frustrating for him to only be doing one song, as I said on a previous thread I feel for the guy but he can't speak up about it, don't the Stones know that by carting him around just for one song they are in fact being disresepctful to a man who was a key part of their 'golden age'. You can undersatnd why Wyman didn't join the rest of the shows last year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-06 11:53 by Rollin92.

Date: May 6, 2013 11:42

champ72
sonomastone

I saw you mentioned potential sobriety concerns in the Oakland thread. If that is correct, and MT is responsible for his marginal involvement thus far it will be tragic. But - he looks better than he has for years, so the conclusion I had drawn is that he's pretty healthy/living clean at the moment. At least he looks that way in recent pictures?

take a look at the oakland MR and judge for yourself.... maybe i'm being too harsh. i was there in person and wasn't impressed. maybe it was just an off night for him. they did have him take a bow at the end, which i thought was a nice gesture.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: May 6, 2013 11:58

I don't get why he should feel insulted. The Stones asked him if he wanted to be a guests on the whole tour and he said yes. Why should you expect to play more then 1 song? If he does then he should really feel insulted that they didn't asked him for the A bigger bang tour or 40 licks or B2B...
He is not a member he is a guest and I think it is a lovely gesture of them to ask him after all these years. The quit 30 years ago and he was only part of the band for 5 years.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 6, 2013 12:01

Ah back for the bow, that's an improvement over LA then, with the other musicians only or just the five of them?

He danced at O2/25 and he didn't seem drunk at all, will try to find the Oaktown video...I did notice some strange red marks on his left hand on a recent picture that may indicate health problems.

Anyway, yes, a song with a nice clean solo like Sway or solo/jam like CYHMK would be nice now, MR's jamming getting a bit long in the tooth now.

Date: May 6, 2013 12:04

gotdablouse
Ah back for the bow, that's an improvement over LA then, with the other musicians only or just the five of them?

He danced at O2/25 and he didn't seem drunk at all, will try to find the Oaktown video...I did notice some strange red marks on his left hand on a recent picture that may indicate health problems.

Anyway, yes, a song with a nice clean solo like Sway or solo/jam like CYHMK would be nice now, MR's jamming getting a bit long in the tooth now.

yes, he took a bow with just the 4 band members, it was cool to see. (see cover photo on iorr)

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 6, 2013 14:22

dimes to donuts he doesn't finish the tour with them....

Posted by: bigbitch ()
Date: May 6, 2013 14:27

Yeah I could not take the other side of that bet either.....Who knew that Mick Taylor - the proud and melodious guitar player - who Mick Jagger thought enough about to literally circle around Keith for the most inspired song in a decade - "Plundered My Soul" with our man - has now been reduced to the 50 and Counting Offical Mascot of the Rolling Stones...pisses me off to no end.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 6, 2013 14:31

71Tele
He sat behind Charlie's drum kit during Tumbling Dice, watching the band and tapping his foot. At first I thought this meant he would be called back. Alas, no...

I wonder if he playes the riffs, in his head, that he wpuld be playing if he were out there. I wonder if he imagines how the songs (Sympathy, Brown Sugar, the whole ending run) would sound with him, as we do? What a shame.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 6, 2013 14:35

GRNRBITW

Pains me to admit, but I actually agree with you.

I think something isn't quite right with him, maybe his health, sobriety, who knows. The fact that they called him up warmly to take a bow shows that there are no hard feelings from the band toward Taylor. Obviously, we'll see what happens as the tour progresses.

I hope I get to see him in Philadelphia.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 6, 2013 14:38

Why is he on this tour, playing just one song, the same song, every night? Because maybe that's just the Devil's Bargain he's agreed to. Whatever happened to that tell-all book he was going to write about his days with the Stones? He doesn't seem to be writing it now, does he? I don't think Mick gave him this cameo role because of any perceived artistic or commercial merit, and I don't believe he's ensuring Taylor his retirement income out of the goodness of his heart, either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-06 14:44 by tatters.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 6, 2013 14:39

latebloomer
GRNRBITW

I think something isn't quite right with him, maybe his health, sobriety, who knows. The fact that they called him up warmly to take a bow shows that there are no hard feelings from the band toward Taylor. Obviously, we'll see what happens as the tour progresses.

this really makes the most sense, otherwise what they are (not) doing with him is inexplicable.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 6, 2013 14:46

Yes, let's see what happens as the tour progresses. Pure personnal speculation, but me too I think something isn't quite right with him...

I don't really understand why he plays only during MR... There are so many other songs... Sway, CYHMK, Love in vain, Time waits for no one.

Band decison (certainly of course), Mick Taylor doesn't want to ? Really, for me it's a mystery, and I am really disappointed, for him and the audience...

Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: May 6, 2013 14:47

Anybody think there is a chance that just one song was Mick Taylor's idea?

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: May 6, 2013 15:27

tatters
Why is he on this tour, playing just one song, the same song, every night? Because maybe that's just the Devil's Bargain he's agreed to. Whatever happened to that tell-all book he was going to write about his days with the Stones? He doesn't seem to be writing it now, does he? I don't think Mick gave him this cameo role because of any perceived artistic or commercial merit, and I don't believe he's ensuring Taylor his retirement income out of the goodness of his heart, either.

It didn't sound like there was really any plan for a "tell all" book he was going to write I don't believe. More just an off hand response to a reporter's question about Keith's book. In fact Taylor mused it would NOT be gossipy, (presuming he would ever actually write one in the first place).

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 6, 2013 15:42

Rokyfan
latebloomer
GRNRBITW

this really makes the most sense, otherwise what they are (not) doing with him is inexplicable.
I think all of this is alittle harsh. Just as I thought people thinking these shows would be the second coming for Taylor and he'd play the whole show were harsh. It seems people go to one extreme or the other, and most likely neither of those will be the case. He will be here for the rest of the tour. They touted him so much that even if they don't want him to be, he will, or they are essentially lying to fans that bought tickets (not unlikely of the Stones, but trust me thats not gonna happen).

Mick Taylors schedule on his website says "on tour with The Rolling Stones" and lists all the dates for the tour. This is his plan for the next few months and they aren't backing out of it. Its clearly set in stone. People really need to chill on both ends of the spectrum.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1429
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home