Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: If You Could Write The Future Of The Rolling Stones
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 6, 2013 03:21

If they had sold out the US tour there was little hope of anything changing, I.e. a few concerts from time to time at crazy prices, but now with that train wreck on their hands for the first time since...never, they might try to "fix it" not to go out on a bad note...or just decide to call it a day.

Date: May 6, 2013 05:13

Stoneage
Artistically the future has been behind them for more than 30 years now. It has been ages since they were relevant to the contemporary music scene. Look at the 16 year old girls Sir Michael keeps on inviting to the stage pit: They aren't exactly turned on by the music. They look like (very good looking) question marks. They have been a nostalgia act for a long time now. Their song making since the late 70s is irrelevant and redundant. As long as there is a demand for their music they will keep on delivering though. Albeit with lesser and lesser conviction.

I don't think they should even try being relevant to the contemporary music scene. Just be the Rolling Stones. We will know greatness when we hear it and so will those in the know. They need to be willing to accept the fact that whatever they create may be a bust as far as sales go. It's about the legacy now and nothing else should matter. They have made plenty enough money in their career.

Date: May 6, 2013 05:19

GravityBoy
Decide to make a new album and do it properly.

Write proper and interesting songs and come up with interesting music.

Give it the time it deserves.

Half arsed won't do it.

(It'll never happen).

We need to let them know how important a new album is. Stay on them until they get so tired of hearing about it they break down and head for the studio! Just like we did for the 50th!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-06 05:20 by JumpinJackOLantern.

Date: May 6, 2013 05:23

gotdablouse
If they had sold out the US tour there was little hope of anything changing, I.e. a few concerts from time to time at crazy prices, but now with that train wreck on their hands for the first time since...never, they might try to "fix it" not to go out on a bad note...or just decide to call it a day.

It appears the fans will turn out if the price of a ticket is reasonable. You live, you learn, I guess.

Date: May 6, 2013 05:30

24FPS
The Stones legacy is still being written. Before I saw it for myself the other night I wouldn't have bet a nickel that they would sound as good as they do. Therefore the Beatles may the studio kings of all time, but The Rolling Stones own the stage.

That being said, I'd like to see a special album, with all living Stones participating. I'm tired of this idea of hurting Darryl's feelings. If they cared that much they would have made him a Rolling Stone. Get Bill and Mick T. on at least 3-4 cuts.

I'd like to see a very active archive program, including videos. I've never understood why they've never done a promo collection ala Rewind.

I wish them all good health to enjoy the years they have left. They have given me a lot. And I have given them a lot. (In my wallet's estimation).

Yes, their legacy is still a work in progress. I doubt they could do anything to diminish it but they could definitely enhance it. Playing at such a high level at 70 has enhanced it slightly. One or two great albums at this late stage of their career will vault them past the Beatles. It's up to them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-06 05:33 by JumpinJackOLantern.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 6, 2013 05:43

JumpinJackOLantern
One or two great albums at this late stage of their career will vault them past the Beatles. It's up to them.
In your opinion, it's up The Stones to vault them past the Beatles, but thankfully, The Stones don't give a rat's ass. And neither should you. So just stop. It doesn't matter that this is the millionth time that you've brought up this stupid final Stones vs. Beatles ultimate battle. They're not listening to you. Nobody but you gives a crap. Give it a rest, already!

Date: May 6, 2013 06:01

GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern
One or two great albums at this late stage of their career will vault them past the Beatles. It's up to them.
In your opinion, it's up The Stones to vault them past the Beatles, but thankfully, The Stones don't give a rat's ass. And neither should you. So just stop. It doesn't matter that this is the millionth time that you've brought up this stupid final Stones vs. Beatles ultimate battle. They're not listening to you. Nobody but you gives a crap. Give it a rest, already!

You sound a little peeved, Jack. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-06 06:03 by JumpinJackOLantern.

Date: May 6, 2013 06:35

JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern

On a more serious note, I have asked you repeatedly to stop stalking my threads. Yet you persist. Are you obsessed with me?

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 6, 2013 06:49

JumpinJackOLantern
JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern

On a more serious note, I have asked you repeatedly to stop stalking my threads. Yet you persist. Are you obsessed with me?
Repeatedly? hardly. don't flatter yourself. and stalking? again, don't flatter yourself. Tell us more about the sons of beatles, will you?

Date: May 6, 2013 07:12

GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern
JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern

Repeatedly? hardly. don't flatter yourself. and stalking? again, don't flatter yourself. Tell us more about the sons of beatles, will you?

Seek help, you are one sick dude.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: May 6, 2013 07:19

They're just about history. winking smiley

Date: May 6, 2013 07:24

NoCode0680

Well, let's hope they give us a new album for the road.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: May 6, 2013 07:26

JumpinJackOLantern
NoCode0680

I do hope for one.

Date: May 6, 2013 07:29

NoCode0680
JumpinJackOLantern
NoCode0680

I do hope for one.

I think it's the most important thing they can do at this late stage of their career. Who knows, they might just start to enjoy making new music again?

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: May 6, 2013 12:38

As they are now at a mature age, maybe the Glimmer Twins could re-discover their glimmer, and produce some great songwriting again. There was a glimmer of hope. If you watch Satisfaction at Staples on 03 05 13 on U Tube you can kind of see a rekindling if their relationship. Sorry no link as I am cat sitting for a friend andand I have left my charger at home. A great back to roots album encompassing their life experiences so far.

Posted by: lazzzybones ()
Date: May 6, 2013 13:01

Tour Australia in October-don't forget to bring Mick Taylor!

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: May 6, 2013 13:17

STONES ARE WAY OF LIFE WILL GO ON FOREVER,THEY ARE BRILLIANT ROCK-ROLL BAND NOONE CAN TOUCH THEM.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 6, 2013 13:42

I asked a fortune teller, and she said:

"can't see really, but there are four options:

(a) They just continue asking teh same guarantee fee, and probably shift the market and hope for the best. This is unlikely since there might not be AEG-like idiot promoters to be found, and AEG surely won't do it again. But it is a big world....

(b) The ticket prices in possible upcoming shows are to be lowered down (as their guarantee fee). Probably they need to change the market target in order not to "lose face" - that is: out of Northern America - at least for a while. Green light from AEG, but that Brandon guy is funnily laughing from a distance...

(c) They will play in smaller places where they can ask tremendous prices for "intimacy" and knowing that there always are enough people to pay the price for the priveleged luxory. This is risky business, but hey, why not? Simply beacuse there wasn't enough wealthy people to fill an ice hockey arena for 600 bucks, there still could be 3000 people to fill a "club" with 3000 bucks or, who knows, 100 people with 500 000 bucks!

(d) Call it quits. The Hyde Park 13th July will be the last show ever, and you Doxa, much to your surprise, will attend to a last Rolling Stones concert ever."

That's what she told me.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-06 13:46 by Doxa.

Posted by: lougio ()
Date: May 6, 2013 13:48

If I see my last show ever on this tour I will never get over having to endure Doom & Gloom, One More Shot, and Emotional Rescue all in one show!

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 6, 2013 14:37

The idea theat the Rolling Stones are going to get togther and write and record a new album is beyond delusional. They have barely worked together for decades and are holding their breaths to get through Hyde Park. Their legacy was written long ago. Nothing they can do can affect it now, which is good, because anything they could do now would only diminish it . In the end everything after Some Girls will be a brief footnote.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 6, 2013 18:30

Rokyfan
The idea theat the Rolling Stones are going to get togther and write and record a new album is beyond delusional. They have barely worked together for decades and are holding their breaths to get through Hyde Park. Their legacy was written long ago. Nothing they can do can affect it now, which is good, because anything they could do now would only diminish it . In the end everything after Some Girls will be a brief footnote.

Date: May 6, 2013 19:31

Rokyfan

Although I respect your opinion, please consider that many thoughts in recent times regarding the Stones have also been labeled delusional. Many thought the Stones would never perform again, period. They were wrong. Others thought they could never perform at a high level again. They were wrong. Many thought that the Stones would never consider listening in here to check the pulse of their hardcore fan base. They were wrong. Many thought they (as fans) had absolutely no influence on the Stones. They were wrong. Many thought the Stones would never fight for lower ticket prices for their fans. They were wrong. Many thought the Stones would never come together on July 12, 2012 and celebrate their 50th birthday. They were wrong. Many thought that there was no chance that Mick Taylor would ever perform with the band again. They were wrong. Or Bill Wyman. They were wrong. Many thought that Keith Richards was finished. They were wrong.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 6, 2013 19:37

JumpinJackOLantern
Rokyfan

Although I respect your opinion, please consider that many thoughts in recent times regarding the Stones have also been labeled delusional. Many thought the Stones would never perform again, period. They were wrong. Others thought they could never perform at a high level again. They were wrong. Many thought that the Stones would never consider listening in here to check the pulse of their hardcore fan base. They were wrong. Many thought they (as fans) had absolutely no influence on the Stones. They were wrong. Many thought the Stones would never fight for lower ticket prices for their fans. They were wrong. Many thought the Stones would never come together on July 12, 2012 and celebrate their 50th birthday. They were wrong. Many thought that there was no chance that Mick Taylor would ever perform with the band again. They were wrong. Or Bill Wyman. They were wrong. Many thought that Keith Richards was finished. They were wrong.

actually they were right on almost all the items above.

Date: May 6, 2013 19:47

Doxa
I asked a fortune teller, and she said:

"can't see really, but there are four options:

(a) They just continue asking teh same guarantee fee, and probably shift the market and hope for the best. This is unlikely since there might not be AEG-like idiot promoters to be found, and AEG surely won't do it again. But it is a big world....

(b) The ticket prices in possible upcoming shows are to be lowered down (as their guarantee fee). Probably they need to change the market target in order not to "lose face" - that is: out of Northern America - at least for a while. Green light from AEG, but that Brandon guy is funnily laughing from a distance...

(c) They will play in smaller places where they can ask tremendous prices for "intimacy" and knowing that there always are enough people to pay the price for the priveleged luxory. This is risky business, but hey, why not? Simply beacuse there wasn't enough wealthy people to fill an ice hockey arena for 600 bucks, there still could be 3000 people to fill a "club" with 3000 bucks or, who knows, 100 people with 500 000 bucks!

(d) Call it quits. The Hyde Park 13th July will be the last show ever, and you Doxa, much to your surprise, will attend to a last Rolling Stones concert ever."

That's what she told me.

- Doxa

At the end of the day, the Stones, AEG, and, the fans, will go home satisfied. That's all that matters; the bottom line, as they say.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 6, 2013 19:54

Thank you Doxa!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 8, 2013 02:39

JumpinJackOLantern
jamesfdouglas
JumpinJackOLantern
Beginning with right after this tour.

The Rolling Stones are simply the greatest live band in the history of rock 'n roll. They have written some of the greatest songs in rock history. They also have the greatest front man of all time. They really have nothing left to prove as a live act. The only thing left to conquer is the Beatles! Time to rip the title of "Greatest Rock 'N Roll Band Of All Time" from their grasp! Here is how it can be done.

#1. Record new album in early 2014.
#2. Do a strictly club and theater tour during the late spring and into the summer of 2014 featuring said album.
#3. Do a live show featuring the Exile and Some Girls bonus tracks only.
#4. Do one PPV arena show with a mix of the classics and new songs.
#5. Beginning in 2015 do club and theater shows featuring greatest albums.
#6. Do one final PPV stadium event in late summer of 2015 and call it a career. Or, keep going recording new music at the beginning of each new year featuring it in clubs and theaters.

So how would you write their future?

MightyRollingstonescrow... is that you?

James, if you could write the script for the Stones in 2014 and 2015 what would you like to see from them? What could they do over the next two years that could enhance their legacy?

(I'll take that as a 'yes') Welcome back?

Anyways, to answer your question.
It's a good question actually, "What could they do over the next two years that could enhance their legacy?", because everything they've done in the last year has had the exact opposite effect. Grrr, but more so, the recent ticket prices are a very, very ugly stain on their legacy.

What would I like to see from them? The same thing I've been waiting for 30 years from them. A decent album full of the kind of creativity and songwriting that made me care about them in the first place. This hasn't been a priority of Mick and Keith for 60% of the band's existance.Even Mick alone hasn't done anything that's truly rocked my world for 20 years.

Also... The Rolling Stones CANNOT EVER "conquer" The Beatles. It's impossible. We're not talking Davey and Goliath here, more like Davey vs freakin' Superman... with no kryptonite in sight. The Stones would first have to nudge by the #2 band ever... Led Zeppelin, which they are also nowhere near.
I'm not sure why that's even important though, but whatever.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 8, 2013 17:42

If You Could Write The Future Of The Rolling Stones was the question ............

and my answer would be as follows .........

I personally wouldn't think it would be worth writing anything at all beyond 13th July 2013.

For several reasons really:

They've never really looked or sounded remotely interested in the whole 50 year thing, it all smacks of being a bit of a drag .... rather than a pleasure.

Doom And Gloom and One More Shot are so obviously Jagger and Richard solo effort leftovers, that their weakness just adds to the above-mentioned observation and theory.

The overpricing furore over the current North American shows has definitely signalled that either THEY themselves, and/or various promoters - currently overvalue their worth on a stage.

That being so, IF in fact money DOES continue to be important to them, they might just not relish the prospect of continuing to play for fees less than in their own minds they think they're worth. And rather than do so - they might choose just to see the current crop commitments out, and thereafter - call it quits.

And that - ladies and gentlemen - would be that !!

I may well be proved wrong, but my gut instinct tells me that it is well within the realms of possibility, for some or all of the above (not to mention other) reasons, that 13th July 2013 might conceivably be a wrap !!

Who's to know ? Only they, and they ain't lettin' on !! winking smiley

I'm looking forward to seeing them on 6th and 13th July, and if it turns out to have been the last time I and anyone else saw the Rolling Stones live, then hey ............... WE WERE THERE !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-08 17:44 by paulywaul.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: May 8, 2013 18:40

One last album of new tunes and a few well-chosen covers.

One or more tours, in arenas at lower prices and theaters at higher prices, with the band sitting down for much of the show, playing blues and R&B, as well as their own songs.

Making it about the music instead of the spectacle.

And long life and health.

Date: May 9, 2013 06:02

bam
One last album of new tunes and a few well-chosen covers.

One or more tours, in arenas at lower prices and theaters at higher prices, with the band sitting down for much of the show, playing blues and R&B, as well as their own songs.

Making it about the music instead of the spectacle.

And long life and health.

I like your plan. It should be either a change in direction or retirement at the conclusion of this tour. Mick and Keith's relationship will undoubtedly be the deciding factor. I can't imagine them revisiting another arena tour after 2013.

Date: May 9, 2013 06:08

NoCode0680

Could very well be. I found the latest Rolling Stone interview to be somewhat disturbing. Certainly cause for concern.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1678
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home