Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I've Got My Own Album To Do
Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: May 3, 2013 03:15

Is Rod Stewart on "If you've Got to make a fool out of somebody"? Of course it doesn't even credit Jagger on "Fire" or "Am I Groovin You".

I bought the LP for $2.98 in 1997, at Half Price Books, according to the price tag. Now I'm trying to pack it up to move once again. This one is a keeper.

Re: I've Got My Own Album To Do
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 3, 2013 03:37

You got a great deal. There is a case to be made for this being the best "solo" Stones record (even though Wood wasn't in the band yet). Taylor is also on the record, uncredited, as is George Harrison (Far East Man). So, four Rolling Stones, a Beatle, and Rod Stewart. Not bad.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 3, 2013 04:11

and a great Keith Richards vocal on 'Sure The One You Need'...

my favorite of all the solo Stones albums and Ronnie wasn't in the band at that point...but Keith came to live with him..sealed the deal

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 3, 2013 04:19

duke richardson
and a great Keith Richards vocal on 'Sure The One You Need'...

my favorite of all the solo Stones albums and Ronnie wasn't in the band at that point...but Keith came to live with him..sealed the deal

My 2nd fave, right after Wandering Spirit.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: MidnightLurker ()
Date: May 3, 2013 04:46

Listen to "Cancel Everything".........classic Stones song with great Keef backing vocals!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 3, 2013 05:27

MidnightLurker
Listen to "Cancel Everything".........classic Stones song with great Keef backing vocals!

Say no more.
Those that don't understand this songs perfection need to find a new band...

Date: May 3, 2013 05:42

I can safely say that the world's youngest "I Can Feel the Fire" fan is my 3-year-old son. I accidently left the CD in my player and any time the thing is powered up you get Ronnie's masterpiece blasting. The only one complaining is my wife. But she hasn't bothered to take the thing out and toss it in the fire, so maybe she secretly likes it, too.

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: May 3, 2013 05:47

I've Got My Own Album To Do?

5 out of 5 stars is my review.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 3, 2013 05:50

The liner notes are on the LP sleeve (illustrated by Ronnie) and list who plays what and sings where (including Rod, Mick, Keith, and Mr. Taylor). Mick gets an "inspiration by" credit for "I Can Feel the Fire" just as Ronnie did on "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll" the same year. Pretty sure the Warner Archive CD reproduces the sleeve. I don't think the first CD issue (retitled CANCEL EVERYTHING) did, though. The back cover photo of the group at the Wick includes Bobby Keyes who doesn't appear on the LP. Agreed it's a great album. Ronnie's first five solo albums (not including the soundtrack LP with Ronnie Laine that was recorded in 1972, but went unreleased for four years) are all great albums that at times equal or even better some Stones tracks during the same period. Since then, he's lost me in a big way. A pity.

Date: May 3, 2013 06:16

Rocky Dijon
The liner notes are on the LP sleeve (illustrated by Ronnie) and list who plays what and sings where (including Rod, Mick, Keith, and Mr. Taylor). Mick gets an "inspiration by" credit for "I Can Feel the Fire" just as Ronnie did on "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll" the same year. Pretty sure the Warner Archive CD reproduces the sleeve. I don't think the first CD issue (retitled CANCEL EVERYTHING) did, though. The back cover photo of the group at the Wick includes Bobby Keyes who doesn't appear on the LP. Agreed it's a great album. Ronnie's first five solo albums (not including the soundtrack LP with Ronnie Laine that was recorded in 1972, but went unreleased for four years) are all great albums that at times equal or even better some Stones tracks during the same period. Since then, he's lost me in a big way. A pity.

My copy has an inner sleeve with a sepia-toned picture showing some people walking down towards a parade. The caption below reads: "Saturday, September 23, 1917 Burbank, California." The other side advertises "THE WARNER/REPRISE LOSS LEADERS". Of course it's entirely possible that at some time between 1974 and the present, sleeves got switched.

EDIT: I'll check the CD notes when in hand, thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-03 06:22 by Sipuncula.

Posted by: The Wick ()
Date: May 3, 2013 06:53

It's a real beauty. There really isn't a weak track. Such great playing and such a great feel. It's a pity Ronnie didn't treat guitar playing as a craft and take his playing to higher levels because on that album he showed how great he can be.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 3, 2013 08:36

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 3, 2013 09:15

mick and ronnie wrote iorr and i can feel the fire -they split them up, ronnie took one and mick took the other.

for years i was dying to see keith do sure the one you need and then the barbarians tour came - "she may not be the one you're thinkin of.....and he just nailed it,dead solid perfect.

i considered ronnies records like a part of the stones catalogue at that point,it was just them working under woodys name anyway. now look and that other one...released in 79,i cant remember the name of it but it was good too.had seven more days on it..and f.u.c her,ha ha

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 3, 2013 09:33

That would be Gimme Some Neck.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 3, 2013 09:38

aha,thats it!! thank you!! ronnie was doin so much coke his voice started sounding like dylan, and i mean that in a good way...seven more days and all i gotta do is survive..

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 3, 2013 12:01

Pity Ronnie cannot get on to his management, and get Own Album and Now Look reissued as deluxe packages, with outtakes etc.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: May 3, 2013 12:08

lem motlow
mick and ronnie wrote iorr and i can feel the fire -they split them up, ronnie took one and mick took the other.

No need to ask who got the raw end of that deal then!?

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 3, 2013 12:23

It didn't help Ronnie's bank account then but I like I Can Feel the Fire more than It's Only Rock and Roll. If Ronnie had released It's Only Rock and Roll with his lead vocal it wouldn't have sold either. With Jagger it was meta and an anthem. And Ronnie got to join the band. So I think he made the right deal.

Posted by: belld ()
Date: May 3, 2013 12:24

Fantastic album.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 3, 2013 13:11

I bought mine from Japan in the mid 80's. I played it all the time and I was the only one among my buddies to own it."Groove" is the word to define that record and a lot of it.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: May 3, 2013 13:32

lem motlow

Is this really true ? Hmmmm....interesting. iorr is actually the first Stones single I thought was just so-so. Too sing-along-y! A little Slade-ish ! My choice for worst ever song : We are the champions.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 3, 2013 13:41

walkingthedog
lem motlow

Is this really true ? Hmmmm....interesting. iorr is actually the first Stones single I thought was just so-so. Too sing-along-y! A little Slade-ish ! My choice for worst ever song : We are the champions.

While it is "sing along", the lyrics are quite clever.

Posted by: barbequebob ()
Date: May 3, 2013 14:17

Bought this as an LP when it first came out, before Ronnie joined the Stones.

Love it. It is the perfect integration of Stones and Faces, two of the greatest bands ever.

Posted by: Mack Jigger ()
Date: May 3, 2013 14:19

Tomcasagranda, I've been in touch with Ronnies former management about this years ago. This album deserves a deluxe edition with all the single mixes and outtakes. (Overlaps Now Look by the way). Ronnie's management and Warner Archives should stick their heads together and make it happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-03 14:22 by Mack Jigger.

Date: May 3, 2013 14:55

71Tele
You got a great deal. There is a case to be made for this being the best "solo" Stones record (even though Wood wasn't in the band yet). Taylor is also on the record, uncredited, as is George Harrison (Far East Man). So, four Rolling Stones, a Beatle, and Rod Stewart. Not bad.

Taylor is not uncredited on my vinyl copy. He's credited on Shirley and Crotch Muic.

Date: May 3, 2013 14:57

By far the best solo album by any Stone. Simply awesome.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 3, 2013 15:29

Mack Jigger
Tomcasagranda, I've been in touch with Ronnies former management about this years ago. This album deserves a deluxe edition with all the single mixes and outtakes. (Overlaps Now Look by the way). Ronnie's management and Warner Archives should stick their heads together and make it happen.

'act together '...which was probably originally titled 'sh*t together'...indeed

would love for this to be done. this is one of my all-time favorite albums.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 3, 2013 16:05

Great album, so is Now Look.
Play them a lot, as ido all Ronnies albums. First 2 are OUTSTANDING!!!.

JEROEN

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: May 3, 2013 17:23

Here is the very detailed inner of the US-gatefold sleeve. Non-gatefolds had an innersleeve (fold out sheet to be correct..).
Hope it helps a little bit.

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-03 17:52 by electricmud.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 3, 2013 17:26

DandelionPowderman
71Tele

Taylor is not uncredited on my vinyl copy. He's credited on Shirley and Crotch Muic.

I had the vinyl copy but it's so long ago...They left the credits off the CD.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1397
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home