Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Am I the only one here who loves Johnny Thunders ??
Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: April 28, 2013 23:15

big N.Y. Dolls, Heartbreakers, Thunders fan...unfortunately was too young to see the Dolls when they played The Whiskey in L.A....but was fortunate to see Thunders twice in the early '90s...the day after he played in Hollywood, a friend and I were driving down Hollywood Blvd. and there was Thunders on the street with his guitar case pacing back and forth...he looked at my friend (who was wearing a Yankees baseball cap)Thunders was a big Yankee fan...and I said do you want to go back and talk to him...he said no and kept driving...not too long after that Thunders died.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-29 01:27 by Rollin' Stoner.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 28, 2013 23:23

Hardly...I Think Johnny Thunders is the artist who kept Rock 'n' Roll banner at the very top ...

2 1 2 0

Date: April 29, 2013 05:06

Love me some JT. Would've loved to have heard what he would've come out with if he hadn't croaked.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: April 29, 2013 12:44

I have seen JT live in the early 80's in Belgium, it was a short gig, about 30min.and i remember he was really drunk...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 29, 2013 13:02

He rocked hard on the fast songs (often on tracks written by others...) but he was terribly whiny on slow songs.
Take "Sad Vacation" : you wanted to climb onstage ad punch the guy for being so sobby and (female) attention "whory"...

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: April 29, 2013 13:17

dcba
He rocked hard on the fast songs (often on tracks written by others...) but he was terribly whiny on slow songs.
Take "Sad Vacation" : you wanted to climb onstage ad punch the guy for being so sobby and (female) attention "whory"...

I dont know about female attention "whory" - but I think Johnny was at his best with electric guitar and playin rock n roll. I think he wrote plenty of great rock n roll songs all by himself:

Chatterbox, I Wanna Be Loved,Baby Talk - baby talk has got a one of the greatest killer riffs, M.I.A, etc...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-29 16:43 by seitan.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 29, 2013 14:45

Baby I was Born to Lose!smoking smiley

Posted by: NoPanic ()
Date: April 29, 2013 17:35

The "So Alone" album is great. "Untouchable" is a good tune!

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: April 29, 2013 20:41

dcba

I'll give you that one, dcba. Never liked Sad Vacation. But I do like plenty of the other slow ones: It's Not Enough (which Nolan refused to play live), Look In My Eyes, Ask Me No Questions, I Only Wrote This Song For You, Hurt Me, etc.

Posted by: Keef1966 ()
Date: May 4, 2013 06:50

I saw him 4 times. Here's a photo I took at this 1987 show. The first time I saw him in 1986 Guns & Roses opened for him. Fender's Ballroom in Long Beach. Horrible place that smelled like cat piss.
The '87 show was the best of the 4. He did rockin' versions of Midnight Hour and Little Queenie. I ain't superstitious was great too. This show was 2 days after this Roxy show.

Here's a couple of photos my brother took when I went to my 2nd Johnny show.

The Guns & Roses show was the night before this one. If you look close at the photo on the right he has blood on his hand from punching some guy that spit on him.
When I saw him in 1989 He kinda sucked. The damn sax player didn't know when to stop. He took over every song.

Another great song in 1987 was Bo Diddley's I Can Tell.

Here's another photo my friend took at the 1987 show.

Posted by: Keef1966 ()
Date: May 4, 2013 07:33

I agree with seitan.

This is the Johnny I hate. That damn sax player! Drove me nuts.
I thnk there is only one sax player I ever heard that can play is Stan Getz. Every other sax player plays too much instead of being part of a song they tend to take the song over. I wish the Stones would do away with all their back up.

Here's another photo I took in 1987.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1551
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home