Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT:RIP Scott Miller
Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: April 18, 2013 21:42

I'm really busted up about this. Does anyone remember Game Theory or Loud Family from the 80's /90's? Scott was one of my favourite songwriters, and was extremely undervalued-great power pop in the vein of Big Star, Rundgren, Sparks, etc. Recently, he had written a great book about his favourite music from every year, beginning in, I think, 1960, called Music:What Happened? Great songwriter, really smart and good guy (met him a couple times).RIP Scott.

Re: OT:RIP Scott Miller
Posted by: tommyquinn ()
Date: April 18, 2013 21:55

This is really sad, Game Theory and the Loud Family were both favorites of mine. Erika's Word and Rayon Drive are both playing in my head right now. I saw both bands several times when they visited Boston. This is a big loss for the independent music scene. My heart is really heavy.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: April 18, 2013 22:15

Agree, Tommy. I forgot to mention, too, that Loud Family did a great version of Rocks Off on their last album (first song on the album-ballsy!) and followed it with a tune called Song About "Rocks Off". I asked him about it and he said he'd been wanting to cover Rocks Off since the 70's. It's a very Chilton-esque take on the song.

Couldn't find Rocks Off on You Tube but here's Song About "Rocks Off":

Posted by: belubettlo ()
Date: April 22, 2013 09:47

Rolling Stone

Guardian

A brilliant songwriter, and a fascinating writer about songs(Guardian)

Just discovered this guy a few days ago through an EP he'd just made with Rayna Gellert, and I thought he was an interesting guy, one to keep an eye on. A bit surprised to find that he was already dead at the time I was discovering him.
His MUSIC: What Happened? site has some good reviews of music from the 60s on to the present.

MUSIC: What Happened?

A sad loss.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1645
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home