Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The concept of the 2012/2013 tour.
Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: April 12, 2013 12:27

It's an interesting concept for the Stones to only have an indoor stage designed, where for the festival dates they'll probably use the festival stages, like the weird Glastonbury one.
I wonder what the Hyde Park stage will look like.

On recent tours, the Stones have only appeared comfortable when bringing their own everything, which imo was a reason for them not to join the festival circus. Now they've somewhat come down from that throne.

Appearantly it's commercially interesting to do some festivals. Maybe they're paid as much as they used to, but without bringing their own stage?

In a way it's a pity there's no outdoor stage. For me, those have always been the essential landmarks of the whole megalomania Stones tours. Now maybe it's just gonna be a few added props. It will have to have them focused on the music, though.

Re: The concept of the 2012/2013 tour.
Posted by: CalGonz ()
Date: April 12, 2013 12:50

The Stones are taking a reduced paycheck for Glastonbury - they're doing it because they wwant to do it, not for the cash.

As to why - I reckon it's partly to do with Mick's psychological make-up. The thought of everyone else except the Stones having done one of the biggest gigs on the planet - Bowie, U2, The Who, Macca, etc - could have brought out his competitive spirit.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: April 12, 2013 12:56

Limbostone

Something like this, I would imagine.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: April 12, 2013 13:08

No FOS area?

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: April 12, 2013 13:18

In the UK, the majority of large festivals and gigs do not have a cordoned off area at the front. People are genuinely happy to go to these shows for the party atmosphere and to dance and sing along.

Whilst the stones have always pushed the boundaries using huge stages, lighting and PA systems, I think they will have to do something different this time round.

When they did IOW festival, they fitted a b stage and supplentary lighting (and screens I think) over night. But it was still a long way from the gigantic ABB stage.

I think they will bring something along in order to differentiate themselves from the likes of U2 and Macca. I wish I knew what though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-12 13:20 by sjs12.

Date: April 12, 2013 13:43

At Glastonbury? I'd be surprised. The Isle of Wight arena is closed overnight which gave them means and opportunity to modify the stage, but at Glasto the campsite and the arena is all in the one bit so they can't block access to the Pyramid. If there's even the slightest bit of mud it'll just become an impossibility.

There is a mini-arena bit down the front, but the sides are open so people can come and go - it's mainly there to prevent huge surges from the back of the crowd.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: April 12, 2013 16:32

Limbostone

It sure ain't gonna look like this...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-12 16:33 by Roll73.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 12, 2013 16:44

I request a free show in Central Park this summer... "People think I'm crazy"

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 12, 2013 23:19

CalGonz
The Stones are taking a reduced paycheck for Glastonbury - they're doing it because they wwant to do it, not for the cash.

As to why - I reckon it's partly to do with Mick's psychological make-up. The thought of everyone else except the Stones having done one of the biggest gigs on the planet - Bowie, U2, The Who, Macca, etc - could have brought out his competitive spirit.

According to a very recent interview, Mick says Glastonbury was something they'd always wanted to do but had never been asked. They're doing it this year because they were finally asked to [at 6:25].

[www.absoluteradio.co.uk]

Posted by: PeanutGallery ()
Date: April 12, 2013 23:31

Same reason Marlene Dietrich gave for why so many lovers of both sexes — "they asked."

Peanut
PeanutGallery

stonehearted

According to a very recent interview, Mick says Glastonbury was something they'd always wanted to do but had never been asked. They're doing it this year because they were finally asked to [at 6:25].

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 13, 2013 01:51

As I've suggested before, they should use the old set of the Merv Griffin show as their stage.

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: April 13, 2013 12:26

stonehearted

They've been asked plenty of times and turned it down - though that's often been a matter of timing as the band haven't been together for touring at the time.

Date: April 15, 2013 10:47

Indeed they seem picky regarding festivals. Glastonbury for the fact that it's a first and Hyde park for the nostalgic fact that it's a second.

The rest of the concerts (the US ones) are the opposite: the typical high end ones, completely Stones themed.

By the way, apart from the stage, the Hyde Park dates will breath Stones all over, since the other acts sound more like extended warmups.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: April 15, 2013 12:12

CalGonz
At Glastonbury? I'd be surprised. The Isle of Wight arena is closed overnight which gave them means and opportunity to modify the stage, but at Glasto the campsite and the arena is all in the one bit so they can't block access to the Pyramid. If there's even the slightest bit of mud it'll just become an impossibility.

There is a mini-arena bit down the front, but the sides are open so people can come and go - it's mainly there to prevent huge surges from the back of the crowd.

Yes - can't see how they could bring their own modified stage to Glasters as the Stones will be on immediately after the previous band. There's simply no time to build them a custom stage.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 15, 2013 23:49

CaledonianGonzo
stonehearted

They've been asked plenty of times and turned it down - though that's often been a matter of timing as the band haven't been together for touring at the time.

Which makes for a moot point, because when they are not touring they are simply inactive, so those earlier requests don't count. Why ask a band to work when they're not working?

Date: April 16, 2013 11:46

Though they were also asked at points when they were active and declined - 2007, for example. Michael Eavis has been after them for years.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: April 16, 2013 11:58

Father Ted
CalGonz

Yes - can't see how they could bring their own modified stage to Glasters as the Stones will be on immediately after the previous band. There's simply no time to build them a custom stage.

They did at IOW which was also a multiple band festival. The stage ended up being the standard IOW stage with Rolling Stones "bolt-ons" of the moving B stage and additional lighting / screens etc.

Date: April 16, 2013 12:01

Though as mentioned, at IOW the arena closes overnight, giving workmen the ability to start modifying the stage. No such opportunity at Glastonbury where the entire site is open 24 hours a day.

Date: April 17, 2013 11:04

By the way: Mark Fisher has added the recent Stones' stage to his (still slightly confusing) website: [www.stufish.com]

Re: The concept of the 2012/2013/2014 tour.
Date: November 21, 2013 16:46

Now that the tour is extended to Australia and possibly other dates in 2014, I wonder what the further appearance stagewise will be.

In Arenas in the US and London they had the tongue stage. Will they bring it down under for the supposed arena dates as well?

As for the stadium gigs, there is no jumbo stage this time so far. Considering the fact that during the ABB-tour they used the 'kite stage' down under (a simplified ABB set they also used in South America which was cheaper to transport), I don't suppose they'll come up with a jumbo one just for the few dates.

Therefore I think a Hydepark-like stage, with or without trees, or maybe a plain festival one will be brought in.

However, the Adelaide people announced a highly spectacular one...

Any other signals I have missed regarding the 2014 concept?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1481
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home