Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT - Allman Brothers Band - Brothers & Sisters
Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: April 22, 2013 02:51

[/quote]trucks is the greatest player on the planet. i vote you off the planet. you and derek cannot co-exist on this one.[/quote] The hype didn't get past Clapton who dismissed him from his tour, still touting Derek's greatness as EC is a master of the b.s. game.[/quote]

What more can you tell us abot Clapton booting Trucks from his tour? I never heard this before.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 22, 2013 03:16

Butch Trucks said of Derek. "Derek is what Duane could of become". What a compliment!

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: April 22, 2013 04:30

More Hot Rocks
Butch Trucks said of Derek. "Derek is what Duane could of become". What a compliment!

I have heard that which makes me wonder about Clapton supposedly removing Derek from his tour?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 22, 2013 05:19

DoomandGloom
Tom Dowd lucked into some great records but he was a lousy producer who was well known for choosing the wrong take.

But what would Sunshine Of Your Love have been without Tom Dowd's input?

Dowd was also instrumental in introducing Duane Allman to Eric Clapton, which gave the Layla album an important added dimension.

These clips are featured in the Tom Dowd biopic The Language of Music.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: April 22, 2013 05:39

For you guitar geeks out there, here is a pic of the Les Paul with which Dickey Betts used to record "Brothers and Sisters". The guitar's current ownder is Kishida Kunio who is a great player in his own right and is a huge fan of the Allmans and plays slide in a way that would make Duane proud. I got to play it for a bit just after the gig where I took this pic ended. A great sounding and playing guitar!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-22 05:40 by ChrisM.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 22, 2013 06:32

But what would Sunshine Of Your Love have been without Tom Dowd's input? Well that's a good question.. We'll never know for sure but I think it would have been a hit with another producer. I am not saying TD was a terrible producer but there was a school of thought with guitarists in the 70's that he got crappy guitar sounds in the studio. Skynard left him in the midst of Street Survivors for that reason. Dowd was a master editor but his greatest skill was to be able to pull historic music from drugged fueled musicians during rock's most self destructive era. Hindsight has left him open to critics who say he often chose uninspired or the "wrong" takes for songs he produced. This is directly opposite to the reputation of Jimmy Miller who was technically less hands on but a genius for good vibes and percussion groove.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-22 06:47 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 22, 2013 06:41

ChrisM
For you guitar geeks out there, here is a pic of the Les Paul with which Dickey Betts used to record "Brothers and Sisters". The guitar's current ownder is Kishida Kunio who is a great player in his own right and is a huge fan of the Allmans and plays slide in a way that would make Duane proud. I got to play it for a bit just after the gig where I took this pic ended. A great sounding and playing guitar!

How Kishida got that Les Paul is a saga that will remain a secret for now. I'll just say the guy that sold it in the 80's never again played with The Allman Brothers. I'm happy to see it being played. I get sick seeing Clapton's Blackie or Duane's Burst locked in a plexi cage. All the more reason to love Keith Richards who still uses his most iconic guitars. Jimmy Page and Beatle Paul as well, although I personally believe his Hofner is a elaborate copy...

Date: April 22, 2013 21:25

Do you know Kuniosan D&G? I've met him on three occasions and sat in at a gig in Tokyo and he is a real cool guy. He has met Dickie anf Greg a few times and is as I mentioned a huge fan. This guitar does get played and it was a real pleasure (an an honor) to be able to play it. Kuniosan just casually handed it to me after the encore when I saw him play last November in Nagoya. It's fairly light for a Les Paul, had a great neck profile and played and sounded great! I'd be curious to hear what you know about this guitar, at least what you feel you can reveal...

Date: April 22, 2013 21:28

Regarding Paul's Hofner bass, I recall from an interview he did in the 90s that the bass still had a Beatles setlist taped to it so at least then it he still played the original on stage. Do you know when he may have retired it in favor of the copy?

Posted by: Wendy ()
Date: May 5, 2013 12:58

The CDs from the 1974 Knebworth festival are available with the 1974 Allman Brothers commemorative set on

[www.rockmusicmemorabilia.com]

Included are 2 Allman Brothers CDs, Van Morrison, Tim Buckley and Mahavishnu Band

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: May 5, 2013 19:27

DoomandGloom
GRNRBITW
DoomandGloom
This Whipping Post is a perfect example. The drummers are cooking but there's no fire in the guitars. Noodle soup, there's little to grab onto in their solos. Can you imagine a kid wanting to work this out note for note? On The Fillmore album you can sing those solos. The days of Betts/Haynes/Woody managed to capture it better than this. Derek rarely impresses me and Haynes got lazy standing next to him.

trucks is the greatest player on the planet. i vote you off the planet. you and derek cannot co-exist on this one.
He's so far from being great. Name me one recorded solo on an original song as iconic as Stairway, Crossroads, Dreams, Comfortably Numb, Freeway Jam, Can't You Hear Me Knockin' or Sympathy. All the guys above except Duane are still on this planet. In my world a musician has to accomplish something to be great, what's Derek done with his decade in The Allmans besides pop a few fancy Coltrane riffs on songs that are essentially cover tunes for him? Where's his Elizabeth Reed??? The hype didn't get past Clapton who dismissed him from his tour, still touting Derek's greatness as EC is a master of the b.s. game. Sorry I won't drink the Koolaide he's shooting blanks.

Well since your talking about someone being master of the b.s. game why don't you show us 1 bit of info from anywhere stating Clapton "dismissed" Derek?

Clapton's band has changes with every tour. If has nothing to do with "dismissal." The ABB had to do a lot of accomodating with their schedule for Derek to tour with EC when he did. Besides being a member of the ABB, Derek has his own band. Derek was never meant to be a permanent fixture in Clapton's band - it had more to do with the material Clapton was playing on that tour which happened to be most of the Layla album.

During the time frame from when Derek toured in EC's band, EC has since joined the ABB & Derek for the 40th year reunion shows of the ABB at the Beacon. And the ABB has joined Clapton on 2 Crossroads Festivals where EC and Derek have stood side by side and played.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-05 19:42 by 1cdog.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 5, 2013 21:42

If anyone wants to hear a great ABB studio album buy 2003's Hittin' The Note. What a great album.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2000
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home