Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Duke Robillard in Dylan's Band?
Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: April 12, 2013 01:28

I love Duke Robillard's work back in the day with Roomful of Blues and then on his own. Loved his Duke's Blues release.

Reading a review of Dylan's show here a few days ago, it appears Charlie Sexton got the ax and Duke is now lead guitarist for the band. I just cannot picture it in my head.

I will put in the disclaimer that I am not a fan of Dylan live. The man has written some great songs, and I give him props for certainly not being afraid to explore a new take on a song with a new arrangement..though some of his re-arranging is horrible destroys (IMHO) the greatness of the original melody or phrasing. He certainly is not resting on his laurels.

Any other Duke fans out there?

Re: OT: Duke Robillard in Dylan's Band?
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 12, 2013 01:31

Lets be clear...Charlie doesn't 'get' the axe...Charlie 'gets' on with his own great career...finally!

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: April 12, 2013 01:34

Saw the show last night (in Lewiston, Maine). I completely understand about not being a fan of the live shows-- I had a good time, enjoyed myself, liked the re-arrangements (and love it when bands do that!) but this show was not for everyone. Duke was great, though! Played a strat at one point that was just beautiful sounding, a highlight for me (and I am more of a Tele fan myself). The band was loose, as in... not yet tight... for this tour. There were some flubs. Bob's voice was harsh, but improved some throughout the night. Nice charisma. I suppose playing up here in the sticks is a nice way to work out the kinks! I'm guessing things will tighten up over the coming weeks on this tour.

Posted by: PaintitBlue ()
Date: April 12, 2013 01:36

I LOVE that venue in Lewiston...saw the Holmes Bros and Junior Brown there at the University...Dylan didn't play there did he? I did not see it on the bulletin.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: April 12, 2013 02:29

Saw the first show in Buffalo. Going Saturday night in Pennsylvania. New set list with four Tempest songs and all emphasis on late career. Only three songs from sixties. Softer sound with Stu on acoustic all night. More pleasing to hard core fans like me than the general audience. Charlie did two equal length stints in Dylan's band. He is far too talented to just be Bob"s guitar player. Not sure if Duke is a long term replacement. Bob took charge in Buffalo. Was a true leader. Stood centre stage a third of the night and at grand piano the rest of the time.No clunkers on piano so maybe he even rehearsed.

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: April 12, 2013 02:57

Saw the opening show in Buffalo on the 5th of April, loved it Bob was in great form played lots of favourites, Blind Willie Mctell, Visions of Johanna, What Good am I, Ballad of a Thin Man. Mr Duke workin hard and Bob put him through his paces. All he needs to do is turn the volume up.

One very annoying thing was the security they had metal detectors set up like airport security where you had to empty your pockets into trays. But it all worked out well I made to the rail with five other Canadians.

He played at the Alumni Arena,(Univ of Buffalo} nice gesture on Bob's part the students got in free and tickets were only fifty bucks for the paying public.

Maybe the Stones could take a page from Bob and show some empathy to their fans.

Posted by: BlondeOnBonds ()
Date: April 12, 2013 03:05

Tate I was there myself. I thought I was the only Mainer on the board. Cheers!

Date: April 12, 2013 04:19

Make that 3...I'm a Mainer too!!! I'm also new to this board.

Saw the Dylan show in Lewiston last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. My 16 year old son also loved it...it was his first concert.

Posted by: Tonyz ()
Date: April 12, 2013 04:24

Saw Dylan in Buffalo last week. I loved it, but ya gotta do your homework. If you think Dylan is gonna sound like he did in the 60s and play all the hits, you ain't gonna have a good time. Be up to date on his recent work to enjoy it.

I got chills when he walked onto the stage. Living friggen legend in any sense of the word.

Date: April 12, 2013 04:25

Agree...thought he was great.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 12, 2013 04:30

It's funny. I love the way Bob rearranges his 'hits', but I can't imagine the Stones doing it. It's almost like the Stones are forced to recreate songs as close to the original as possible, the closer the better. I suppose it's because they've rarely done any creative rearringing. 'Satisfaction' at Leeds comes to mind as an interesting example.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: April 12, 2013 04:34

For those not aware, Duke Robillard is in great part responsible for the sound on Dylan's 1997 classic, Time out of mind where he played the lead guitar. So it comes as no surprise that Dylan hired him.

Date: April 12, 2013 04:40

24FPS...I actually preferred the new stuff...believe it or not. Alot of it is Dylan's voice, or lack thereof. His new voice fits the new songs.

I thought the weakest song all night was "Tangled Up In Blue".

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: April 12, 2013 04:52

I agree, it's amazing when he does the new stuff, anything from Time out of mind onwards... Also I think he tend to make lesser alterations to these as he feels more comfortable singing them compared to the old stuff. Still, he did great versions Stuck inside Mobile and Masters of War the last time I saw him.. One should just enjoy his concerts for what they are rather than expecting him to sound like the sixties or seventies version of himself

Date: April 12, 2013 05:04

It's too bad...alot of folks were grumbling because it wasn't a "greatest hits" show.

The reality is ol' Bob was working hard and seemed to be enjoying himself. He played some mean harmonica, especially during "Beyond Here Lies Nothin'"

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 12, 2013 10:21

Nice to hear of Duke and also nice to hear of Bobby concentrating on his latest material. Lately I started to see tendencies that he might slide into 'greatest hits' direction, but fortunately that is not the case.I hope the never ending tour reaches my part of the world soon.

Students free and 50 bucks the rest? Is he a communist or what? grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 12, 2013 11:28

At last Bob dropped LARS fromt the setlist!
Hey Mick do the same and drop "Miss You" from yours! winking smiley

Back to Bob : I DL'ed the April 6 Amherst show : great great great show!
Then I DL'ed the April 9 Lowell gig and I got a lifeless perf.
Boredom is already sneaking in Bob?

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 12, 2013 11:40

There are no clips from these concerts on the net? Is the camera policy in the US stricter than in Europe?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 12, 2013 11:46

dcba
At last Bob dropped LARS fromt the setlist!
Hey Mick do the same and drop "Miss You" from yours! winking smiley

Back to Bob : I DL'ed the April 6 Amherst show : great great great show!
Then I DL'ed the April 9 Lowell gig and I got a lifeless perf.
Boredom is already sneaking in Bob?

Wee, with The Stones it would mean to drop "Satísfaction" or "Jumpin' Jack Flash"... No, they never do that!

- Doxa

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 12, 2013 13:42

i gotta go see bob to check out the duke .this is must see and hear for me !!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1480
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home