Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The legacy of the Rolling Stones....
Posted by: R ()
Date: April 10, 2013 18:47

... this WILL be the last time because they're old and because you can't go back to the well again with ticket prices like these. For all intents and purposes it's all over now - or will be after this Summer.

If this proves to be the case it's interesting to ponder the legacy of the Rolling Stones. For what will they be remembered most in time immemorial? For folks like us, obviously, the Stone's legacy will be their music. The decades of rhythm, swing, swagger and groove that is unique only to the Rolling Stones.

To the world at large, however, I think they will be remembered as vile opportunists who used and abused and robbed and pillaged the very people who made them what they are. These would be the fans who love them most. There is NO REASON for ticket prices like what we are seeing now. Not production costs or transportation or touring staff. Not for 18 arena shows by the richest band on the planet.

The Rolling Stones will be remembered as a brilliant music makers by many but I think they'll be remembered as rank bastards by many, many more. But that horse has already left the gate so, what the hell, they might as well charge a family of four $2,500 (or more) for an evening of music.

Wow.

Re: The legacy of the Rolling Stones....
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 10, 2013 18:58

No, they're much more than music. They were fashion, attitude, decadence, real and perceived. Maybe some of the suckers who pay the high prices think they're getting a whiff of that long passed history. Besides, if you're a hard core fan, are you really interested in hearing this same lineup, again, that you've been hearing since 1994? Let the people who want to pay out the nose to hear tired warhorses pay it. It'll make for a great DVD set at some point so you can pick out the few highlights, like Mick T, or Bill, or some rarity they might or might not pull off.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 10, 2013 19:22

the Stones' legacy includes a lot of innovations in how rock concerts are staged.

its only rock and roll, but they advanced it, they are the gold standard.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 10, 2013 19:44

a way of life .........

Posted by: R ()
Date: April 10, 2013 22:19

...a way of life to all of US, indeed. My harangue refers to the perception of mainstream folks (and music nuts I guess) in the future.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 10, 2013 23:04

It's a huge touring juggernaut belching dollar bills and farting music...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 11, 2013 00:24

Simply put, they are incomparable. Their nearest competitors died off decades ago. They continue to be cutting edge in presentation. This is a fifty one year old British Invasion Band still selling out arenas in minutes. They're still playing full concerts, instead of one or two songs like most of their peers get on some oldies tour. Younger artists can't wait to play with them. There's nothing left to compare them to. When they pass from the scene, the scene will be empty.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 11, 2013 00:43

This may or may not be the last time.... I doubt it is... and
no one can predict their legacy... the legacy will be what it will be.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: April 11, 2013 00:48

Any band with a 50 year history won't have a legacy based on a month and a half of shows.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: April 11, 2013 02:20

R

The Rolling Stones will be remembered as a brilliant music makers by many but I think they'll be remembered as rank bastards by many, many more. But that horse has already left the gate so, what the hell, they might as well charge a family of four $2,500 (or more) for an evening of music.

There. Fixed that for ya. You're welcome.

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-11 02:21 by camper88.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 11, 2013 02:35

Max'sKansasCity

I don't know, I think I got pretty close...

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 11, 2013 02:47

R
the legacy of the Rolling Stones. For what will they be remembered most in time immemorial?

The legacy of The Stones is already set in, well, stone. They will be remembered for iconic moments such as their early classic songs performed on television in the 60s and 70s, news footage in the wake of the Redlands bust, Mick Jagger arriving by helicopter in July 1967 for his interview with members of the British establishment for the Granada Television production World In Action, Mick in the white dress reading from Shelley and releasing butterflies at Hyde Park 1969, The Stones under a black cloud at Altamont....

What The Stones charge for tickets in 2013 will not arouse the outrage of future generations to whom $600USD will mean nothing anyway.

The legacy of The Stones is already defined, their longevity is merely a footnote. It is what future generations will think [likely the same things we think] that will continue the legacy.

Below, a legacy-defining moment as Mick Jagger is interviewed for World In Action on the UK's ITV channel in July 1967.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 11, 2013 03:00

The Stones legacy as individuals... Jagger, The greatest frontman, a testimony to hard work and exercise. With all that's gone around him he's done a champion job of keeping himself and his mates in the money for 51 years. Keith, The one guitarist who could melt both lead and rhythm into one, paired with Mick they were a brilliant song writing team, with Brian a master of patience, with Taylor the best guitar duo in history, with Woody a madcap maniac who defined fun and energy on stage. Charlie, The greatest of The Stones, a drum innovator, modest enough to step aside for Jimmy Miller and tough enough to punch out whoever's out of line. Brian, The Stone who kept the group on it's toes and changed ordinary songs into huge hits. A master of fashion. Bill, Early on he was the most creative bassist in Britain, in the days of drug induced chaos he drove the bus on stage from Ya' Ya's on thru the 80's... Mick Taylor, for 4 or 5 years he was the greatest and most influential guitarist in the world. Ron Wood, master stage presence and abrilliant showman. Part of some of the greatest moments in rock from Rod, to The Rainbow Concert, to ARMS to The Rolling Stones. A legend. As a band "The greatest joy givers on the planet." Here in The United States, what you are worth is what you can get, if it's not worth it for you than that's your decision. There are plenty of UTUBES and other ways to see the set list you despise.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-11 03:09 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 11, 2013 03:16

Munichhilton
Max'sKansasCity

I don't know, I think I got pretty close...

Which part?

Date: April 11, 2013 03:35

Doom.... "Joy givers"??

Whoa that's some revisionism with extra cheese.

They were scrappy blues fans as kids, then debauched counter culture icons, then savvy trend followers, then charming rapscallions, then greedy bastards.

That's Stones 101.

Date: April 11, 2013 03:43

andrewt
Doom.... "Joy givers"??

They were scrappy blues fans as kids, then debauched counter culture icons, then savvy trend followers, then charming rapscallions, then greedy bastards.

That's Stones 101.
They give me "joy" when I see them play. When Mick Taylor plays the solo to Love In Vain and the building erupts we will know The Stones have taken us full circle giving us true fans what we asked for. The "Joy Givers" is a tongue in cheek quote from another poster.

Date: April 11, 2013 03:54

"a family of four $2,500" This ain't The Sound of Music... I bet I'm one of the cash poorest people here. I will go to Philly and pay around 200 dollars. I will be happy with any seat in the building, I know what they look like, I'm there for the music. I don't feel entitled to be up close but I still have my hair and am a champion athlete like Mick perhaps I'll charm my way into the lips.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: April 11, 2013 05:20

Would love to see all working folk & retired income folk able to buy affordable tickets. Life & health unpredictable, no guarantees the group will be here to play this trip much less future years.

Date: April 11, 2013 14:43

DoomandGloom
andrewt
Doom.... "Joy givers"??

That's Stones 101.
They give me "joy" when I see them play. When Mick Taylor plays the solo to Love In Vain and the building erupts we will know The Stones have taken us full circle giving us true fans what we asked for. The "Joy Givers" is a tongue in cheek quote from another poster.

Thanks for clearing that up. For what it's worth, had tickets in general been 250 bucks I would have been all over it, but 600 is so far over the top.
I've said before the nosebleeds is where the real Stones party will be. At least you will be sitting amongst real fans ready to have a good time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1579
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home