Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Brutal Article on the Stones high ticket prices.
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 10, 2013 08:53

The conscientious question here is really whether the product, The 2013 version of The Rolling Stones, is worth all that money? Personally, I doubt it...

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: April 10, 2013 09:07

I hope for the people who will attend the shows in USA and London that the concerts will last a satisfying time and not only one hour and half !
a fair time should be 2 hours and half.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: April 10, 2013 09:25

As much as I understand all complains around the world as the much I am just fed up with such.
The article talks a bit cheap and you should not forget that the Stones limited the free access for journalists dramatically in recent years. So the guy only detests and is moaning that he can't get in for free. Otherwise he would have never even give a damn sh.. about the others.

Such frustrating articles have been circulated also in Europe mainly after the shows.

Anyway I fully understand that the prices are much to hight and I agree. On the other hand if you take the risk and show up before the concert or try agencies before the day you have the chance to getting tickets below face value.

Have the Stones the legacy to charge these prices?
Or does legacy allow such high prices?

If you make it 5 Mio $ a night divided by let's say 18000 people you have a cross of 277 $. From this money the Stones pay all entourage and staging etc etc. So who is the big banker on the prices.
Just a food for thought.
Ok the Stones could complain, but either they should rehearse and play good music during the concert or they are only absorbed a legal actions etc.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 10, 2013 10:00

This point has probably already been made, but (and I'm not arguing about prices) the article's premise seems to be that people buy Stones tickets solely so that they can say "I saw the Rolling Stones."

Wrong!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 10, 2013 10:12

I do not agree with you there, Aquamarine. There is some truth in that statement. There are "eventjunkies" and people who actually "collect" Stones concerts.
The iconic state of an ageing band like The Rolling Stones increases that factor by far.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: April 10, 2013 12:11

Nice article, he makes some valid points

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: April 10, 2013 12:22

Stoneage
...and people who actually "collect" Stones concerts.

Don't we all try to do thateye rolling smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 10, 2013 12:34

I didn't for 10 years, from 2002 to 2012...I saw them 7 times between 1995 and 2002 (2x1995, 1x1997, 2x1999, 2x2002) and after being pretty disappointed at the Pacbell stadium show in San Francisco I saw a great show at the Oakland Arena a few days later and decided I would stay on that high point...and then came Le Trabendo, Bondy and the O2/Pit...and soon HP1 !

Again, it's not black & white (or blue @rolling) because they could have charged what they wanted for Le Trabendo...they obviously don't need the money, but who here isn't going to want to "maximize" what they can earn or get access to, or whatever? It's not only them too, that really came to light when they had to cancel the 1998 UK dates because it would have put a big tax liability on a lot of their crew (Mick said he wasn't fussed either way, thanks Rupie !). There are many people who's livelihood depends on how much the Stones charge. Sure they could say, tickets will be capped at $100...but then you'd have people saying they can't charge what they used to, that they're washed up, too old, etc...at least the high face value shuts these idiots up.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: April 10, 2013 13:21

Title5Take1
I'm reading Prince Rupert's book, and much of chapter seven is about how much the Stones have been ripped off and ripped off and how fans paid high prices for tickets where the price was jacked up by "middle men" (Bill Graham comes across as a complete scum bag). Chapter seven helps put some of the Stones' current ticket prices in context.

I just read it too. It seems that petty but widespread corruption and resale of low-cost tix meant that fans always lost out regardless of the face value.

Also interesting that book to read that Jagger did not really want to tour in 1981 at all as he thought the band was not in shape etc but was persuaded to "go out with a bang not a whimper" by Lowenstein & co.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: April 10, 2013 14:51

Good article. Their legacy will be their obsession with money, and bleeding their fans dry.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: April 10, 2013 15:09

'Does their music mean nothing more to Jagger and Richards than an excuse to engage in scorched-Earth capitalism?'

Apparently not.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: April 10, 2013 15:22

gotdablouse
I didn't for 10 years, from 2002 to 2012...I saw them 7 times between 1995 and 2002 (2x1995, 1x1997, 2x1999, 2x2002) and after being pretty disappointed at the Pacbell stadium show in San Francisco I saw a great show at the Oakland Arena a few days later and decided I would stay on that high point...and then came Le Trabendo, Bondy and the O2/Pit...and soon HP1 !

Again, it's not black & white (or blue @rolling) because they could have charged what they wanted for Le Trabendo...they obviously don't need the money, but who here isn't going to want to "maximize" what they can earn or get access to, or whatever? It's not only them too, that really came to light when they had to cancel the 1998 UK dates because it would have put a big tax liability on a lot of their crew (Mick said he wasn't fussed either way, thanks Rupie !). There are many people who's livelihood depends on how much the Stones charge. Sure they could say, tickets will be capped at $100...but then you'd have people saying they can't charge what they used to, that they're washed up, too old, etc...at least the high face value shuts these idiots up.

As someone who lives in Toronto and has benefitted from club gigs and rehearsals over the years I agree they are great "parting gifts" to the locales they use as staging grounds. At the same time, they are designed as PR stunts to attract media attention to the tour. I have seen first hand on many occasions members of the Stones take a few minutes to graciously make some fan's day by popping over for a word or an autograph or a photo. While these random moments are special it only applies to a few people lucky enough to find themselves in that position by circumstance. The overall impact of the tour towards the same group is one of exclusion.

I disagree that lower prices would make people think "they lost it".
That depends on what happens on stage. If young people (and by that I mean under 40) could afford to see the show, then their word of mouth after a great concert would be far more beneficial to the endurance of the legacy rather than crass deconstruction of their compensation package.

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: April 10, 2013 15:22

even though they were playing better than they have in years a couple months ago...that barely merits what they charge to see them...with binoculars...

i'm sick of these greedy bastards..if they are smart...they will try and record something with Mick Taylor and leave something as a lasting legacy that can be listened to for years to come instead of doing a few shows that few can afford...but they won't...

just my opinion...

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: April 10, 2013 15:30

Charging this much for a simple rock 'n roll gig is ridiculous. Paying this much is just as ridiculous.

I will never-ever pay more then 100 euro for a concert ticket. It's just a night out, people.

The masses will cough up the ticket prices, so the demand justifies the prices. That's a fair argument. But Jagger & co. need to shut up about 'how much they love playing together'etc. Love for music of performing has absolutely nothing to do with the '50 Years & counting' - tour.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 10, 2013 15:44

i need money so much ,i need money so bad , and i cant be your mom and i can be your dad (jagger/richards)(summer romance)

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: April 10, 2013 15:55

i just don't get it...in 1989 they were charging $28.50 for the bad seats...and now it's 20 times (sic) that...at this point...they won't live long enough to see all of the money they will make from these shows...i'd like to see them again...but i won't be able to...

i hope for those that do that they at least switch up the setlist a little...but i doubt "Doom & Gloom" and "One More Shot" will make the cut...

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: April 10, 2013 15:58

TheGreek
i need money so much ,i need money so bad , and i cant be your mom and i can be your dad (jagger/richards)(summer romance)

I'm working so hard to keep de Stones in luxury

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: April 10, 2013 16:29

I can say I have seen them a few times and I am happy with that. This guy nailed it for everyone on this board who thinks they have been fleecing their fans for years. Can they get the money ? Yes probably. Should they do that to the people who supported them for 50 years ? Probably not. There comes a time when you should throw your fans a friggen bone man.cool smiley This would have been the time . I can not and will not pay a thousand dollars to see a Vegas stage act . They need to get rid of the background singers and some or a lot of the songs with the horns. If you have to cover the vocals with back up singers and the playing with horns then you are cheating your audience .

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: April 10, 2013 16:50

headly123
I can say I have seen them a few times and I am happy with that. This guy nailed it for everyone on this board who thinks they have been fleecing their fans for years. Can they get the money ? Yes probably. Should they do that to the people who supported them for 50 years ? Probably not. There comes a time when you should throw your fans a friggen bone man.cool smiley This would have been the time . I can not and will not pay a thousand dollars to see a Vegas stage act . They need to get rid of the background singers and some or a lot of the songs with the horns. If you have to cover the vocals with back up singers and the playing with horns then you are cheating your audience .

Absolutely spot on, my friend. I guess if you've never seen the Stones then this is your last chance so you've got to pay the asking price. The band know this. I first saw the band in the mid-sixties, last time early-eighties, when I stood on a hillside in Leeds getting frazzled by the sun. I realised the that the fans were being treated like crap and the same applies today, only more so. Good luck to those who pay out this kinda money, I hope you enjoy the show and it's worth it. I saw them when they were great, no I mean GREAT,and that was a long time ago.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: April 10, 2013 18:30

Elmo
headly123

Absolutely spot on, my friend. I guess if you've never seen the Stones then this is your last chance so you've got to pay the asking price. The band know this. I first saw the band in the mid-sixties, last time early-eighties, when I stood on a hillside in Leeds getting frazzled by the sun. I realised the that the fans were being treated like crap and the same applies today, only more so. Good luck to those who pay out this kinda money, I hope you enjoy the show and it's worth it. I saw them when they were great, no I mean GREAT,and that was a long time ago.

The Stones should play several outdoor concerts in a few different continents to thank their fans for paying their rent.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 11, 2013 02:45

treaclefingers
Munichhilton
Promoman
When, forty years from now, I'll tell my grand children that I got to see the real Rolling Stones live back in 2013 and paid $ 1000,- for the ticket, I'm sure that the first part will be the memorable part, as $ 1000 will probably just be enough for the parking fee at their night out.

Your grandchildren will be far more interested in the 1972, 1978, 1981, 1995, or 2003 tours...

I think your grandchildren won't even be listening to you.

Your grandchildren will be no more interested in hearing about the Rolling Stones than you were in hearing your grandfather tell you about the time he saw Cab Calloway sing "Minnie The Moocher."

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 11, 2013 02:51

tatters
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
Promoman
When, forty years from now, I'll tell my grand children that I got to see the real Rolling Stones live back in 2013 and paid $ 1000,- for the ticket, I'm sure that the first part will be the memorable part, as $ 1000 will probably just be enough for the parking fee at their night out.

Your grandchildren will be far more interested in the 1972, 1978, 1981, 1995, or 2003 tours...

Your grandchildren will be no more interested in hearing about the Rolling Stones than you were in hearing your grandfather tell you about the time he saw Cab Calloway sing "Minnie The Moocher."

Cab didn't leave behind nearly as much video forensics for future generations to explore...

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 11, 2013 03:09

Munichhilton
tatters
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
Promoman

Cab didn't leave behind nearly as much video forensics for future generations to explore...

But he did increase his cache with his appearance in The Blues Brothers movie, so that as a 14 year old in 1980, I knew at least one Cab Calloway song, where otherwise I wouldn't even have known who Cab Calloway is/was.

"Now Jake, you get wise. You go to church!"

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 11, 2013 03:19

If my Grandpappy had ever taken the time to tell me about the time he saw Cab Calloway sing "Minnie The Moocher" it mightwould have been the best talk we ever had, it might have changed my life.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 11, 2013 04:05

where are the 85 dollar seats on the moon?

Date: April 11, 2013 05:27

Sucker Born Every Minute!!!

Posted by: ifyacantrockme ()
Date: April 11, 2013 06:02

What I like is you can't even get a ticket on Ticketmaster...so it appears most shows are 'sold out' or just a $600 seat here and there. But you go on these other rinky dink sites Stubhub, QueenBee and there are 1000s of tickets available over $250. C'mon! It's just ridiculous period.

McCartney has just as much legacy and his tickets are running up to $250 tops. Isn't that enough...really?

Posted by: daytime ()
Date: April 11, 2013 06:20

Here's my ten cents, they want so much money for each gig, the promoter has to higher the prices.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 11, 2013 07:32

Not brutal article at all. Brutal ticket prices.

- Doxa

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 11, 2013 07:51

gotdablouse
Sure they could say, tickets will be capped at $100...but then you'd have people saying they can't charge what they used to, that they're washed up, too old, etc...at least the high face value shuts these idiots up.

Not really, unfortunately--now people say that anyway, so it's the worst of both worlds. sad smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 729
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home