Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New SFJ: Album & Tour August '05
Posted by: john r ()
Date: February 13, 2005 23:09

I don't know how many read the new sticky fingers journal already (just got mine) but Skippy writes (quoting unnamed sources) there will be a NYC press conference held in June announcing both a mostly arena tour and a new album for late August. He quotes a description of the album (so far) as being "back to basics...for lack of a better comparison, reminiscent of 'Out of Our Heads'" (?!)
Don't know Skippy's sources, but sfj has been pretty reliable through the years.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-02-13 23:44 by john r.

Re: New SFJ: Album & Tour August '05
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: February 13, 2005 23:24

What did he predict in the past (what happened finally)? Just curious.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: February 13, 2005 23:36

'announcing both a mostly stadium tour and a new album for late August"

wowconfused smiley

Date: February 13, 2005 23:47

Sorry, I edited the post - he wrote "Arena" tour (I hate stadiums) I freudian slipped! SFJ has always been a reliable print & (later) online source at least for the past decade. Go to stickyfingersjournal.com SFJ helped me build my boot collection in the 90s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-02-13 23:49 by john r.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: February 14, 2005 00:05

"back to basics...for lack of a better comparison, reminiscent of 'Out of Our Heads'"

This would be very interesting!!!!!!!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: terry ()
Date: February 14, 2005 00:59

ok thats good enough for me im in trainng for the tour now where do i get my tickets im ready to roll

Posted by: ThatsWhatISay ()
Date: February 14, 2005 02:36

The Stones not playing mainly stadiums? Can't believe that...
I must admit that I would be really unhappy with that decision. They have to peak again with this tour, dragging ten thousands of people into the huge stadiums of the world and along the way playing some smaller gigs. I guess this is the last tour where Mick will physically be able to handle a huge stadium stage.

When the times of huge world tours are over for the Stones there will be enough time left to rock smaller venues.

Date: February 14, 2005 03:13

I don't know as far as the US goes - I cant think of anyone (U2?) who could fill stadiums in all markets in 2005. The Stones might, but they'll be 62 (MJ, KR), 64 (CW), & 58 (RW) this year. They may or may not have "plenty of time." And those stadiums mean bigger stages & more athletics (less focus on singing)from Mick - better aesthetics & definite sellouts in arenas, maybe 2, 3, 4 dates in big markets.I really liked the stripped down '99 No Security tour, not withstanding the ridiculous prices. I mean they put out their first record 42 years ago! The European market (or S.American, or Asian) I can't speak for, but I'll take an indoor gig (my first was at the Boston Garden) any day.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: February 14, 2005 04:20

I can see the logic in this. Mick will sooner or later call it quits, as will Charlie. Keith will play until he drops, just like the old bluesmen. As for Ronnie, I think he'll eventually quit music, concentrate on his art, and encourage his children to follow their dreams.

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: February 14, 2005 05:24

I can see 3 shows at the most in the major markets and 1 night only in the smaller markets. An arena tour makes more sense, 18,000 fans at an average ticket price of $200 a fast $3.6 million per show multiplied by 30 US shows grosses to 108,000,000 less expenses, I could make ends meet on that.

Posted by: Bob Tamp ()
Date: February 14, 2005 05:53

I don't know how much Skippy is in the know, but I hope it's true. But it is hard to get excited since with every new release in the past twenty years it has been hyped as the best Stones album since Exile. Only time will tell, but this one has to be a really good one.

Posted by: Rickster ()
Date: February 14, 2005 05:53

I would say this sounds about right the tour will probably start sometime in aug. or sept. Also it will probably be a mix of stadiums areans and small clubs that seemed to work well last time.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 14, 2005 07:15

I've posted this articles before, but Don Was and RS.com and aren't good enough for you guys. You have to hear the same thing from a fan site that says:
"but Skippy writes (quoting unnamed sources)." Thanks anyway.

Now, look at the Date, the info has been out there for over 2 months.

Here are the sources: Don Was, and then the STONES themselves. Since RS.com released the article on the Official site, and published it on their NEWS page, they must be backing this news.winking smiley:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 09, 2004
Stones Working on New Album

Mick & Keith kick out the jams in an add-on to Jagger's European home...sounds like old times!
(RS. COM)

---------------------------------------------------------
Edited By Barry A. Jeckell. December 09, 2004, 2:45 PM ET

Rolling Stones Recording With Don Was

The Rolling Stones recently concluded recording sessions for a new album in Paris with producer Don Was. The band will reconvene in the New Year for additional sessions for an album tentatively due in summer 2005, Was tells Billboard.com.

Was describes the Stones' new music as considerably different from their recent releases. "Mick [Jagger] and Keith [Richards] are writing songs together in a collaborative fashion that probably hasn't been seen since the late '60s," he says. "I would say that longtime fans of the Rolling Stones will be thrilled with these results, and new fans will understand why they're the greatest rock'n'roll band in the world."

Was recalls sessions in which Jagger and Richards composed spontaneously, sometimes with Richards playing bass and Jagger on drums. "He's a great drummer," Was confides. "He's also playing a lot of guitar, and he's a really good guitar player. He's been playing bass on some things, [and] Keith is playing bass on some things. They're just great -- there's a reason that they've been the Rolling Stones for so long.

"And they can do it four times a day, every day," Was says of the pair's writing sessions, "and they're really good songs. I've never seen anything like it."

Drummer Charlie Watts, who was recently treated for throat cancer, also attended the Paris sessions and is in excellent health, Was says. "And he's playing like a lion," he adds.

In 2002, the Stones recorded at Studios Guillaume Tell, also in Paris, with Was and engineer Ed Cherney. Four of the songs recorded there are featured on the 2-disc "40 Licks" compilation released in 2002. Additional material recorded at those sessions may appear on the Stones' next album, says Was, "but this all seems to be of a piece so far, and is substantially different than anything I've worked on with them. It's really collaborative.

"It's not done," Was adds. "We can still f*** it up a thousand different ways, you know? But what I'm hearing now is very much in the great Stones tradition."

Was has been active throughout 2004, producing the Stones' two-disc "Live Licks" set released last month, as well as upcoming albums by Solomon Burke, Jessie Coulter and Kris Kristofferson, the latter recorded specifically for release in a surround-sound format.

Meanwhile Don has regrouped with David Was to lead their R&B project Was (Not Was) through a 12-city tour launching Dec. 27 at House of Blues in Anaheim, Calif. The tour will mark the first performance of the group in 13 years.

-- Christopher Walsh, N.Y.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-02-14 07:49 by Demon.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 14, 2005 08:16

hype, hype, hype. Out of Our Heads is a ludicrous citing. Half that album was blues/soul covers.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: February 14, 2005 08:45

I really think Mick will do it until he drops also. Maybe not at this level, but for him to quit would be to aknowledge hsi age. Mick will not do that. At some level Mick will perfrom as long as he is physically able. Keith has always said he will play until he drops, but as they enter old age, it appears that it is Mick that is more eager to get up on stage and Keith who is more willing to rest on past glories.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 14, 2005 10:55

As far as I know U2 is touring the US in August, so no chance for Stones shows then.

Mathijs

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: February 14, 2005 13:53

U2 also toured the US in Oct-Dec 1997. Their 3rd leg of Popmart finished on the same night the Stones played St Louis.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 14, 2005 13:53

This is very good news I think. The idea of an arena tour seems very cool. Easier to sell those out too. And we kind of already know what the clubs will be. Always it's Olympia and places like that....

Lorenz: Coming home tomorrow or the day after that. See you mate. smiling smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Date: February 14, 2005 14:17

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>Always it's Olympia and places like that....

If "always" means twice since 1967 smiling smiley

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 14, 2005 16:22

i got the e mail too.. it said that the tour could be kicked off at my great city, phila., pa.... the rehearsals in toronto.. and it would be arena type shows. june it will be announced in n.y. city...let it rock!

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: February 14, 2005 16:46

I have gotten SFJ for years and Skippy has always been a very reliable source. He is everywhere the Stones are from press conferences to rehearsals.

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: February 14, 2005 17:56

They should stick with Arena shows at this point, but somewhere along the line the business people get involved, the sponsers, the promoters and they all know the potential and push the tour to the max.....stadiums 50-60 dates (just USA)and run them like dogs.

Reality should be the standard if they tour in 05/06. Stick with arena shows. The sound is much better, the ability to change up the setlist exists and,IMO, the experience is just better.

Reality again......these guys are not kids. They were physically run down on the Euro part of licks and it showed at times. KR and RW were wrecked at times and at their age aint no amount of drugs gonna prop them up without exploding their heart.

Space the shows apart so they get decent rest.

Milo, NYC
You better choose your medicine

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: February 14, 2005 18:07

I agree Milo, stadium shows suck anyway. The sound is not good and they don't mix up the sets lists as well.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 14, 2005 18:45

Stadium sound has been consistently BETTER than the arena shows.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 14, 2005 19:39

Mathijs Wrote:
> As far as I know U2 is touring the US in August,
> so no chance for Stones shows then.
>
> Mathijs

yeah but thats gonna be u2s second set of dates in the us
so it wont delay the stones at all
see 1997 tours for both, and that should satisfy you mathijs
besides u2 should be more worried about the stones than the other way around

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-02-14 19:40 by melillo.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 14, 2005 19:57

the stones will rock the states..and they have to do it when its warm.. aug, sept and oct... and i don't think they care about u2.. they never cared before... on the shows it depends a lot on how well their album does.. if its a big hit, you will see more stadium show.. if it does ok then more arena shows. also the stones have always sold lots of tickets on the east, philly, n.y. etc. and by the time the album gets the airplay then we will see if they can sell more tickets across the country. then they will add the big stadiums....
pray for a great album!

Date: February 14, 2005 21:00

demon, no disrespect to you - i certainly took that don was billboard article to heart - just adding an update! Late August makes sense - no one says this but i also imagine the RS dont want to be out there in 90 degree weather, thus late summer/fall fits the '81, '89, '97-98, ('99 was an abberation) '02-'03 pattern (dont recall exactly when VL started, but the album was issued in July '94)...with arenas the weather is obviously less of a factor.

Date: February 14, 2005 21:06

john r Wrote:
>(dont recall exactly when VL started, but the album was issued in July '94)

August 1st, 1994.

Posted by: tomstones ()
Date: February 14, 2005 21:10

Macca will start selling his tix in a few weeks for his Sep/Oct tour.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 14, 2005 21:50

Just to torture Josh (and others) - wouldn't it be cool if the Stones booked some "opening act" dates for Macca? hahahahahahaha

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1973
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home