Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: New SFJ: Album & Tour August '05
Posted by: tomstones ()
Date: February 15, 2005 00:38

My dream show 2005 or 2006:

1. Cream
2. The Who
3. Paul McCartney
4. Rolling Stones

They all go on tour this year. It might be the last chance for them all to do the greatest Rock´n´Roll concert of all time together. This one would stick in peoples heads for all time...

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 15, 2005 01:02

yes but which one would headline

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 15, 2005 15:51

easy...THE ROLLING STONES!!!!

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 15, 2005 16:15

you think macca is going to play second fiddle to the stones
or vice versa, thats why it would never happen, BIG EGOS
although mick did play second fiddle to dylan at live aid

Posted by: Rorty ()
Date: February 15, 2005 16:59

"although mick did play second fiddle to dylan at live aid"

And even worse, to Keith too smiling smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: February 15, 2005 17:12

I would not want to see Macca or the WHo these days. For how much Stones fans complain about the current state of the band these days look at the Who. No Moon or Entwhistle, two guys who were the backbone of their sound and Daultry's voice to me sounds horrible nowadays. Same can be said for Robert Plant, I saw him on a tv show performing solo recently and it was sad to see such a great singer sound like a different person. These things should make us thankful that the Stones are still a rather solid live act at their age. Can't wait for the tour and album.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 15, 2005 17:21

I wasnt optimistic about seeing the Who last year for the reasons youve just mentioned, but they absolutely blew me away

Daltrey was in great voice, the rhythm section excellent (Starkey is a terrific drummer) and Townshend was simply unbelievable.

It was one of the best concerts I've ever seen by anyone.

They were every bit, if not more, "solid" than the Stones were on their last tour.

Plus the guitar was exactly where it should be in the mix!!

Posted by: fxc1 ()
Date: February 15, 2005 18:51

Gazza is RIGHT ON. After I saw the Who at Mad Square Garden last May the first thing I said is, "That what the Stones need to do". Bare stage/no fireworks/bare bones MUSIC!!! No back-ups other than keyboards.

Date: February 15, 2005 21:49

I don't think you will see that anymore.. the stones are too old to not have a back up singers.. and the fans, sadly expect all the extras, fireworks and blow up dolls, etc.... just look at the super bowl, with paul m., no one would have stayed to watch him without all the fireworks.
the stones haven't done that kind of concert since 1969... today most fans could stay home and get more excitement from their home systems..so to sell tickets they need to jazz it up.. make it fun for the new young fan..
the licks tour was their best..the guitars were more up front than their past tours..
didn't pete t. of the who have someone else play his guitar on stage because of his hearing problems? if i remember which tour it was but he didn't even play live...

Posted by: ComeOn ()
Date: February 15, 2005 22:09

Hey "hot stuff" I really don`t agree with you ! The Stones can still make it on stage without fireworks , blow up dolls etc.!
Last time I saw/heard that was on Wembley Arena on the last tour ( 15 sep.-03) !
Even on the small scene in the middle of the crowd without back up singers the boyz really kicked ass ! So why should that not be possible on the next tour also ?

Date: February 15, 2005 22:24

I don't agree either. The first 5 or so songs they don't have any extra musicians besides Chuck and they can still kick it. Same goes for the b-stage. Midnight Rambler and other songs performed thoughout the tour didn't need extra musicians either and they sounded great.

The Super Bowl is not a good comparison because half time shows are supposed to have fireworks and all that extra crap. When I saw the Stones in Hartford during the Licks tour there were no extra gimmicks. Just some rose pedals at the end of the show, besides that there was no elaborate stage.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 16, 2005 01:46

hot stuff Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> didn't pete t. of the who have someone else play
> his guitar on stage because of his hearing
> problems? if i remember which tour it was but he
> didn't even play live...

In the mid 90's Pete stuck to acoustic guitar on stage (of COURSE he played LIVE! This is the Who, not the Spice Girls!) and had another guitarist on electric guitar.

His brother Simon played some acoustic and rhythm on last year's tour, but pretty low key. Pete was playing his ass off.

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 16, 2005 03:03

" In the mid 90's Pete stuck to acoustic guitar on stage (of COURSE he played LIVE! This is the Who, not the Spice Girls!) and had another guitarist on electric guitar."

Simon played the electric on the Quadrophenia tour. Pete stayed in a little magic "deadened sound" area on his normal side of the stage. He played electric for the last three numbers and returned to the 12 string for the 3-song encore. All of this because of a titinitis problem.

I asked a doctor friend of mine how he could return to full blown electric in 2000 and he told me Pete's hearing problem were either not as bad as he claimed - or he'd just gone 99% deaf.

He sure played, AND SANG, well in 2000 and 2003.

Date: February 16, 2005 17:05

hi, don't get me wrong...i would love to just hear the stones... and no one else.. i don't want to hear bernard, lisa, chuck, etc... i'm a fan of the stones.
but jagger himself said, he needs the back up singers to put out a 2 hour plus show.. also i like jagger because you never know what he is going to do..
it was very exciting in 1975 when he was carried away on the rope or on top of a cherry picker,etc.. remember the stones sell more tickets than anyone because they put on a show! SADLY most people get bored in 5min. the stones music with jaggers excitment give the fans the total experience..
could keith and ronnie sing for 2 hours? i don't think so... anyway lets have more stones and less fillers..

Date: February 16, 2005 18:58

Well then you just need a ticket for an arena or club show to get your satisfaction , next time the boyz are arround !

Posted by: ThatsWhatISay ()
Date: February 16, 2005 20:19

They will definately play stadium as well. It's just unreal to think of the Stones not playing huge venues like fields, stadiums or whatsoever. They would never construct a stadium stage by someone like Mark Fisher for just a few gigs and put the rest of the concerts into the smaller arenas. As soon as such a montrous structure is manufactured (maybe manifold for each continent) it will also be primarily used.
With the support of the new album the ticket sales will do well.

Don't get me wrong, I love arena shows, but I don't think the sound is any better than in stadiums (Munich Olympiahalle for example had a very mediocre sound) and I would really miss the huge crowds and the atmosphere of a boiling pot like in a stadium.

Date: February 16, 2005 20:35

I think stadiums in Europe and ones in the US are not comparable. Stadiums in Europe tend to have more ground level seating and there are no upper decks way up in the air. In the US they are built for American football so they have higher stands which cause horrible echos because the sound bounces off them. I recall Mick talking about this during the last tour.

I will never again see the Stones in a stadium or any concert for that matter.

Date: February 16, 2005 21:06

Okay , but don`t get me wrong too ! `cause I really enjoy stadium shows with fireworks impressing stages , Lisa Fisher on back up vokal and so on ! I have really no problem with that ! It was just the fact that the boyz still do gigs very well without all that and "hot stuff" didn`t seem to know ! So for his kindly information I say when you don`t want Stones concerts with firework , blowup dolls and so on you have the choice to go to an arena or clubshow instead it`s just a matter of your own choice to get what you want from the Stones `cause they can still make it everywhere !

Date: February 17, 2005 19:46

i have gone to both the club, stadium and areana's and i loved them all..i've done this since 1975 and i have gone to every stones concert in the philly area..
what i'm talking about is the need to sell tickets.. and to sell tickets to the masses, most kids want to see the fire works. etc...its exciting, its the rolling stones... the rolling stones have always given more... look at the 1969 and 1972 tours.. other bands can't match the stones for excitment!

i do wish to see keith sing more... a little less bernard and lisa.. what most people like is the stones sound.. listen to get your ya ya's out..thats the stones.. the new album as well as the licks tour are taking the stones back to their rock roots with more up front guitars.. less horns, etc..
keith and ronnie will have much more work on the next tour and that i am very excited about.. let it rock, clubs, stadium and areana's.....

Date: February 17, 2005 21:19

i finally see what you mean and i apologize for playing mr.wise guy ! my "stonescarer" first started in 1982 and i only went to one arena concert , the rest was stadium (and one time keith & the winos and m.taylor two times).
One of the good things about the last two tours imo is that if you get tired of the extravaganza you had the possibbility to experience the "pure" Stones (with lots of guitars) by going close to the b-stage !
i really agree about get your ya ya`s out is a very good live album (maybe the best live album of any bands ever !) That was really the heydays of the Stones !
i haven`t been listing to live licks yet , but i understand that the guitars is more up in front and take it as a sign of a bright future for the coming experiences with the Stones !

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2005
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home