Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: "Just Got Paid"--the Ultimate Cool ZZ Top Song
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: February 11, 2005 02:32

Growing up in West Virginia in the 70s, ZZ Top was one of the most popular bands here--their tours made regular stops in Charleston, and "La Grange" was hugely popular, as was the album this track was on, "Tres Hombres". Many doobies were lit and beers chugged while this album was on the turntable.

However, on the box set "Chrome, Smoke & BBQ" another track which was popular on local jukeboxes way back when is "Just Got Paid", which came out in 1971. One of my bands covered this, and I loved the bass line on it, but what makes the track is Billy Gibbons' superb slide lead and his slinky rhythm playing.

Remember, this was years before these guys became MTV darlings with the long beards and the cool Eliminator car. Check it out and listen, gents & ladies--the box set version is 4:28, with an extended slide solo, and this is my choice as the ultimate cool ZZ Top track.

Re: OT: "Just Got Paid"--the Ultimate Cool ZZ Top Song
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 11, 2005 03:32

Yeah, great song. Some other jewels are 'Waiting for the Bus', 'Jesus just left Chicago', and 'Cheap Sunglasses'.

- Koen.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: February 11, 2005 17:46

Cheap Sunglasses just cooks.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: February 11, 2005 18:10

Bassplayer,

I grew-up in Mineral County (eastern panhandle), and we smoked a lot of doobi to Tres Hombres also. Along with J Geils-Bloodshot, Steve Miller-Livin in the USA, and Exile on Main Street/Goat's Head Soup!

Ever catch Hasil "The Haze" Adkins down there in Charleston? The One-Man Band. Incredible!!!

karl

'Don’t forget, if you’re on your bike, wear white'

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: February 11, 2005 19:23

Karl, I wondered why you chose that signature line. Glad to see someone else from WV is on the board.

As for Hasil Adkins, I know of him, but never saw him perform.

I was born in California, as dad was in the navy (stationed in San Diego) and mom lived on base till he was discharged. They came back to WV in 1958 and I've lived in various locations in Putnam or Kanawha Counties ever since, except for a five-year stay with a girlfriend in the Wheeling area. I'm now in Cross Lanes, 12 miles west of Charleston.

Having been a 22-year bar band vet, ZZ Top songs were staples of the setlist, along with Lynyrd Skynyrd & Bob Seger, and of course, "Honky Tonk Women".

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: February 11, 2005 19:55

I've played the dogs at Cross Lanes!

PS: Did you catch my reply to your "fart in your general direction" post the other day?

Have a good weekend!

karl

'Don’t forget, if you’re on your bike, wear white'

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 11, 2005 20:41

I personally like the pre-MTV stuff much better. The band is tight and hot.

"Balanese"
"Mexican Blackbird"
"Jesus Just Left Chicago"
"Francene"
and too many others to name.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: February 12, 2005 03:26

i saw these guys in the mid80s in new zealand the rocked they used a lazer to make the hotrod car

Posted by: MisterD ()
Date: February 12, 2005 06:58

I'm just a fool for your stocking's I believe...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 12, 2005 22:01

The album Tejas is a hidden treasure, filled with plenty of great songs such as EL DIABLO.

And then FANDANGO...ZZ-Top LIVE in the '70's... their prime best!

"Get High, everybody get high!"

After Deguello, they turned into an MTV band unfortunately.
Though their concerts still rocked, the synthesized drums were pretty bad. Horrible actually.
They never quite recovered from selling out to the '80's MTV audience. They became a spoof of themselves.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1823
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home