Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

SUPER BOWL 40 AND THE STONES??
Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 10, 2005 19:47

since paul mac did it this year you think the stones might do it next year
they will be on tour so maybe it will happen

Re: SUPER BOWL 40 AND THE STONES??
Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 10, 2005 19:59

hi,
i remember sometime back they were going to play but the NFL at the time decided to go with a all american line up... also the problem now is that they want super clean groups. nice and sweet.. don't want to get anyone up set..
i hope so..the stones would be the very best..
they could play, start me up, brown sugar, jumping jack and winning ugly..ha!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 10, 2005 20:04

I don't think they're gonna do it. But I hope they're gonna do it. It could be awesome as hell man. I could imagine them doing 4 songs. Like maybe JJFlash, SMU, SFM and BS, just to keep Keef from switching guitars.
winking smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Date: February 10, 2005 20:11

kent,
god, if the stones did the super bowl i would be pissed if they only did 4 songs...i would rather them do 20 or so... they could cut the game down to just 30 min.. ha!

Date: February 10, 2005 20:17

Sure a whole concert is better than just a four-warhorse concert. But anyhoo: It would still be great. Just to know that a billion people is sitting admiring the band we're fans of is sending chills down my pine. smiling smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: February 10, 2005 20:45

Maybe they can invide Justin again, so he can rip off Lisa's shirt!

Edward

PS Kent: edit the warhorse part: Harry will be pissed again!!

Posted by: davido ()
Date: February 11, 2005 04:04

Would seem they picked Sir paul to play
it safe, so Stones would seem unlikely
to me.

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: February 11, 2005 05:18

The Stones would not pull any crap on-stage. I would wager that the NFL approached them first to do the half time show and they declined. Remember, this band does not like to lend themselves out as hired guns......they do things on THEIR terms.
There is no doubt in my mind that the NFL has been trying to get them for years now, they span so many generations everyone in the stadium and everyone watching could relate tp them on some level.
Janet Jackson Last year ? What the hell do I care about Janet Jackson..........does anybody care at this point or then ?

Then again, what the hell do I know.

Milo, NYC
Where the boys go

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 11, 2005 05:44

yeah but now that paul did it maybe the stones will
you know the beatles always beat the stones to the punch

Posted by: starstar ()
Date: February 11, 2005 08:01

Pity that they wouldnt be able to show the HTW tongue-riding video...

ss

** got to scrape that shit right off your shoes

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: February 11, 2005 14:40

The Stones don't need the money or the exposure.

I bet the networks would be uptight if Keith was smoking and in case they got fined for promoting unhealthy practises.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: February 11, 2005 14:40

The Stones don't need the money or the exposure.

I bet the networks would be uptight if Keith was smoking and in case they got fined for promoting unhealthy practises.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: February 11, 2005 14:58

IMHO, it would be the true nadir of their whole history. The Stones playing at the Superbowl??? WTF??? Would be sad...

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: February 11, 2005 15:06

Duh! Let them open for the Johan Cruijff Schaal instead. A home game in the Amsterdam ArenA.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: February 11, 2005 15:31

The Beatles sure did beat them to the punch by disbanding 35 years ago.

Milo, NYC

Posted by: Rorty ()
Date: February 11, 2005 15:43

I'm with Milo. I don't see any point in Stones playing few numbers in the middle of a sport event - no matter how huge the event is. It's just not their cup of tea.

But then.. what a hell I know? I never thought they would do those awful $$$ Las Vegas shows (neither thought young Mick) or perform in the private parties of Pepsi Cola or Ryanair...

- Doxa

Posted by: JamesBurton ()
Date: February 11, 2005 17:13

The Stones certainly don't need the money, and I can see how the event in many ways would be below them, especially in the eyes of one Mick Jagger, but the truth of the matter is the band could use all the publicity they can get. The vast majority of record sales and downloads come from the teen through college market, a group that is hardly aware of, and certainly does not embrace the the Stones, a major turn of events since Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge. In the under 20 market, the Stones are largely seen as an inconsequential oldies act, so if they want to find their way back to the mainstream, they need not only a killer album, but an all-out marketing blitz to reach younger people, even if it means playing a Super Bowl, giving a couple of massive free concerts, or appearing on MTV, Letterman, or Leno. The music business is a brutal one, so if they want sales and respect, they are going to have to go out and earn it. Otherwise, let them just continue to hack away at their bad-boy image and musical legacy.

Posted by: davido ()
Date: February 12, 2005 01:10

Superbowl is a very American patriotic (no pun intneded)
event. it's unlikely they would have another foreign headliner
opening act anytime soon. If the Stones were interested
in peforming at some sort of sporting event I
should think there would be many other
such opportunities elsewhere in
England or Europe, or perhaps
the next Olympics?

Date: February 21, 2005 11:15

If you read the reviews Macca got, it could actually be cool to see the Stones next year and show how it's all done.

Here's some Macca reviews:
--------------------------
Paul McCartney's safe halftime show offended no one, but bored many
His performance appeared to be aimed at pleasing FCC, not the TV audience.
By Mekeisha Madden / The Detroit News
Gene J. Puskar / Associated PressPaul McCartney holds up his guitar after a spiritless halftime performance at the Super Bowl.
Comment on this story Send this story to a friend Get Home Delivery
Rock legend Paul McCartney proved that safe isn't always a good thing.
No, McCartney didn't flash a mammary gland, a la Janet Jackson, but more jaded viewers might have preferred that than the boredom they endured. The Super Bowl halftime show should be something viewers anticipate, not an opportunity to finally check the batteries in their home's smoke detectors.
By the time McCartney, 62, sang "Hey Jude," even the young people who were presumably paid to cheer and clap in the front row seemed to suddenly go off the clock.
Not even McCartney's stiff-armed wave could pump life into this performance.
The Fox network and NFL officials wanted a squeaky clean halftime show and they got it in spades. The most controversial part of the one-time Beatle's show was McCartney's cross-shaped stage. Maybe that could offend non-Christians or something?
This wasn't even a show custom made for classic-rock lovers or families. Clean doesn't have to be dull. McCartney's show was clearly for the Federal Communications Commission. Hopefully it enjoyed the show.
For the FCC and parents alike, anything is probably better than pop singers Justin Timberlake's and Janet Jackson's sheepish looks after he ripped off her latex breast plate.
Fox even passed on a beer ad that mocked the wardrobe malfunction. (CBS, the network that aired last year's Super Bowl, got slammed by 540,000 complaints to the FCC and thousands of dollars in fines that it and its affiliates are still fighting.)
There weren't any lip-synching controversies this year. McCartney's voice sounded authentically raspy and worn. Maybe he should have had a hot spot of tea.
The better show was Alicia Keys pre-game performance of "America the Beautiful" with blind and deaf children from the late legend Ray Charles' former school who signed and sang along to pay tribute to Charles.
Although the appearance of actor and former rapper Will Smith, who introduced the "America the Beautiful" performance, served no real purpose other than to plug his movie "Hitch" (oh yeah, he's from Philadelphia like the Eagles), the segment was the only redeeming show the Super Bowl had.
The very first show, which featured The Black Eyed Peas, Charlie Daniels and Earth, Wind & Fire, fell flat, especially when it closed with one of the Peas wishing everyone a "Happy Football" What?
But at least that was mildly entertaining, if confusing. McCartney was just ho hum.
----------------------------

Stones to the Super Bowl. Would be tres tres cool.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Rorty ()
Date: February 21, 2005 14:05

Always a pleasure to see a Beatle fail...smiling smiley

- Doxa

Date: February 21, 2005 16:49

hi,
i was at the super bowl..the fans in front of the stage were brought in as unpaid actors.. they were coached to scream and yell.. i didn't think paul was any good either... a lot of the old people, (45 to 70) loved paul..but i (i'm 47)
thought he was boring... i liked the other acts much more.. they seemed more alive.. paul seemed to be just getting started..
the stones would have brought the house down with only 4 songs..

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 21, 2005 17:41

By next year the Superbowl folks are going to realize they missed out on the youth market with the Macca show. They played it safe for a year but will likely return to the youth friendly artists of recent years. Moreover, the Superbowl is going to be in Detroit next year and the folks there are making a big push for all Motown artists as the entertainment. Whether they'll succeed or not reamins to be seen.

They are also putting temporary lighting in dozens of abandoned buildings there in the 'Port Au Prince of the North' so the downtown doesn't look so dark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1740
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home