Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rolling Stones Settle on Promoter for Arena Tour
Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: March 21, 2013 21:08

Rolling Stones Settle on Promoter for Arena Tour
By Steve Knopper | March 21, 10:51 AM ET
The Rolling Stones have chosen AEG Live to promote their upcoming North American tour, according to concert-business sources privy to the tour negotiations, after the concert giant made what one source calls "a real crazy offer" to outbid a coalition of promoters including Australia's Paul Dainty and veteran independent companies in U.S. cities. The Stones will receive between $4 million and $5 million per show, which likely means top tickets will cost $500 to $650 – slightly less than what the band charged for the priciest seats at its shows in Brooklyn, Newark and London in late 2012.
As previously reported, the tour will include 18 North American arena dates. A source close to the band told Rolling Stone the tour is set to kick off on May 2nd. The Stones will also play London's Hyde Park in July, and may add European festival dates. It's possible the Stones might expand the tour even further later in 2013, but the band has no concrete plans. "Are the Stones going to do anything after this? I doubt it," says one source. Adds another source, "Look, anything's possible. But it's Mick and Keith's show, so we don't know."

The Stones were planning to go with Dainty's group until Tuesday morning, when a lawyer for the Stones called AEG executives and granted the bid before lunch. AEG tentatively plans to announce the tour in early April. Sources for the Los Angeles promoter – the world's second-biggest after Live Nation – declined to comment.
The Stones, who haven't done a full tour since 2006-2007, grossed $18.3 million with their four North American shows last year, according to Pollstar. After the 2012 run, which included guests from Lady Gaga to the Black Keys, the band seemed energized. "This thing wasn't enough," Keith Richards told Rolling Stone in early January. "It would be dopey to bring things up to this level and say, 'Well, that's that, 50 years, bye-bye.' Really, all you're going to have to do is wait for an announcement."

Re: Rolling Stones Settle on Promoter for Arena Tour
Posted by: PeanutGallery ()
Date: March 21, 2013 21:30

Link on the story is:

[www.rollingstone.com]

Thanks for getting this up so quickly Bob.

Gotta sort of feel a bit sorry for Branson & Dainty. Now it's what,.. VirginDead? Who has been doing all this tentative booking activity? Find the answers to how the game is played in the book, Ticket Masters which has its own thread here* and which reminds me of the title of the 2008 expose book on the sub-prime debacle — All the Devils Are Here. AEG is here to service us again.

Peanut
PeanutGallery

(*) Why Tickets are So $$$$$$$$$$$$ — [the explanation.]

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: March 21, 2013 22:01

$500-$600 per ticket? "package deals" will be more $...( probably at least $1,500+ for a decent seat and some food) forget it. No value there.. I'll watch the Youtube videos (like I did in november & december) , maybe get a boot or two and get "satisfaction" and value I still have the $2,000+ it woulda cost for those shows. .... @#$%& them.
No new concepts for shows ( like an "unplugged set" or something different).. no new ideas or GOOD music... the same model of 18-songs , 2-3 "deep cuts" from the catalogue and a bunch of the same stuff I have seen over 20 times before, like " are you feelin' goood"? and "@#$%&' great audience man" or "it's great to be anywhere".. been there, done that enough.... for those who choose to go I hope you have great times... "This thing wasn't enough,Keith Richards told Rolling Stone in early January. -- not enough what? Money? gimmee a break.
mazeltov!

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: March 21, 2013 22:30

steverogan
$500-$600 per ticket? "package deals" will be more $...( probably at least $1,500+ for a decent seat and some food) forget it. No value there.. I'll watch the Youtube videos (like I did in november & december) , maybe get a boot or two and get "satisfaction" and value I still have the $2,000+ it woulda cost for those shows. .... @#$%& them.
No new concepts for shows ( like an "unplugged set" or something different).. no new ideas or GOOD music... the same model of 18-songs , 2-3 "deep cuts" from the catalogue and a bunch of the same stuff I have seen over 20 times before, like " are you feelin' goood"? and "@#$%&' great audience man" or "it's great to be anywhere".. been there, done that enough.... for those who choose to go I hope you have great times... "This thing wasn't enough,Keith Richards told Rolling Stone in early January. -- not enough what? Money? gimmee a break.
mazeltov!

Why are you here then? Plus who gives a shit about how much the tickets cost....beyond over this whingeing & wining about $, make more money, get a better job, sell your kids to the soccer ball factory in guatemala whatever dude.

Plus it's not about the hardcore fan, you'll buy anything...it's about the casual and the 1st timers....Listen to Gene Simmons if you want to know how a band deals with it's hardcore fans, as he tells Eddie Trunk in 2001, when Trunk says "I don't ever want to hear Rock'N'Roll All Nite, ever again" too which Simmons responds, "It isn't for you it's for the 1st timers"

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: March 21, 2013 22:56

SKILLS
steverogan
mazeltov!

Why are you here then? Plus who gives a shit about how much the tickets cost....beyond over this whingeing & wining about $, make more money, get a better job, sell your kids to the soccer ball factory in guatemala whatever dude.

Plus it's not about the hardcore fan, you'll buy anything...it's about the casual and the 1st timers....Listen to Gene Simmons if you want to know how a band deals with it's hardcore fans, as he tells Eddie Trunk in 2001, when Trunk says "I don't ever want to hear Rock'N'Roll All Nite, ever again" too which Simmons responds, "It isn't for you it's for the 1st timers"

I'm here because I have followed the Stones for over 30+ years.Why are you here? Do you have ties with the promoter? This is a forum to express one's feelings. Please don't tell me to "get a better job"- your ignorance and hubris are obvious. i have a very good jhob and the $ to spend on whatever I need or want. At the proposed prices in this economy, along with what I would get for my money the value is not there. it is my opinion. I would advise you to not say "hardcore fans will buy anything". Not true. read the board here and elsewhere. AND there are people who do want value;busioness 101 teaches: the value equation is"what you pay - what you get".. Not a value.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 21, 2013 23:04

SKILLS
steverogan
mazeltov!

Diplomatic SKILLS don't seem to be among you varied skillsets.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: March 21, 2013 23:24

Screw the arenas, I want STADIUMS!!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 22, 2013 03:25

The whiners are out already - Why would anyone want stadium shows over an arena show???

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: March 22, 2013 03:28

slew
The whiners are out already - Why would anyone want stadium shows over an arena show???

Pyro!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 22, 2013 03:38

steverogan
SKILLS
steverogan
mazeltov!

I'm here because I have followed the Stones for over 30+ years.Why are you here? Do you have ties with the promoter? This is a forum to express one's feelings. Please don't tell me to "get a better job"- your ignorance and hubris are obvious. i have a very good jhob and the $ to spend on whatever I need or want. At the proposed prices in this economy, along with what I would get for my money the value is not there. it is my opinion. I would advise you to not say "hardcore fans will buy anything". Not true. read the board here and elsewhere. AND there are people who do want value;busioness 101 teaches: the value equation is"what you pay - what you get".. Not a value.

I have to agree. The stadium circus environment is what has kept me from attending Stones shows in the past--I mean, football stadiums are for sports events, not rock n roll, and the sound in those places is too overblown and muddled in reverb. Now that they are playing arenas again, I thought I might take in a show as a first timer, though I've been a fan for more than 30 years. But there is no value in a $300 per hour rock concert, I don't care how legendary the band is. And if this trend continues, I'll just have to cross The Stones off my bands to see before I--or they--die list.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: March 22, 2013 04:32

Arena shows at $40 a ticket with no crazy ticket aftermarket and no "gold zones" or whatever they are called. Is that too much to ask?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 22, 2013 05:45

MileHigh
Arena shows at $40 a ticket with no crazy ticket aftermarket and no "gold zones" or whatever they are called. Is that too much to ask?

...actually, it's too little to ask.

Posted by: PeanutGallery ()
Date: March 22, 2013 07:11

stonehearted

I have to agree. The stadium circus environment is what has kept me from attending Stones shows in the past--I mean, football stadiums are for sports events, not rock n roll, and the sound in those places is too overblown and muddled in reverb. Now that they are playing arenas again, I thought I might take in a show as a first timer, though I've been a fan for more than 30 years. But there is no value in a $300 per hour rock concert, I don't care how legendary the band is. And if this trend continues, I'll just have to cross The Stones off my bands to see before I--or they--die list.

Do we ever drift off topic.

Actually, even if you were in as a first timer, without cost, you will still have missed the experience of a Stones concert. It isn't just the music; not the staging; nor the performance; but rather, the now all but just a memory, missing element of the sexual electricity that used to be in their air. For the most part, that too is now gone these days along with the long black limos. These days, meaning for the past several tours, going to a Stones concert has been a family event. Negligible T&A as compared to the old days.It'll be middle aged couple with granny on one side of you, and a couple with their kids on the other. You've already missed much of why people are still so drawn. No goin' home again.

Peanut
Peanut.Gallery

Date: March 22, 2013 09:28

PeanutGallery
stonehearted

Actually, even if you were in as a first timer, without cost, you will still have missed the experience of a Stones concert. It isn't just the music; not the staging; nor the performance; but rather, the now all but just a memory, missing element of the sexual electricity that used to be in their air. For the most part, that too is now gone these days along with the long black limos. These days, meaning for the past several tours, going to a Stones concert has been a family event. Negligible T&A as compared to the old days.It'll be middle aged couple with granny on one side of you, and a couple with their kids on the other. You've already missed much of why people are still so drawn. No goin' home again.

Peanut
Peanut.Gallery

Quit being so damned wistful...they are 70 years old. Enjoy it for what it is.

Date: March 22, 2013 09:47

treaclefingers
PeanutGallery
stonehearted

Peanut
Peanut.Gallery

He's got a point, though. The freewheeling whiff of danger and chance is no longer there. That used to be the promise afforded for a cheap ticket into the thrill ride that was once the rock n roll concert experience. Now, by average middle-class standards, you must work nearly 40 hours on the job just to pay for 2 hours of carefully scripted entertainment, while surrounded by the same type of well-dressed, well-behaved people you would see in any shopping mall. Disneyland indeed!

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: March 22, 2013 10:31

Did gorilla already shake head or twiked?

Date: March 22, 2013 15:59

stonehearted
treaclefingers
PeanutGallery
stonehearted

Peanut
Peanut.Gallery

He's got a point, though. The freewheeling whiff of danger and chance is no longer there. That used to be the promise afforded for a cheap ticket into the thrill ride that was once the rock n roll concert experience. Now, by average middle-class standards, you must work nearly 40 hours on the job just to pay for 2 hours of carefully scripted entertainment, while surrounded by the same type of well-dressed, well-behaved people you would see in any shopping mall. Disneyland indeed!

He's not wrong at all but it's about managing expectations. My point is that it is a bit wishful to expect a bunch of rich 70 year olds that have been in the business for 50 years to sound 'dangerous'. It just isn't going to happen, and if they tried, they'd probably sound ridiculous.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: March 22, 2013 16:14

stonehearted

Sad, but oh so true-- the audience cutaways in the PPV were painful- all mom dancing and cellphone cameras. There is more partying going on at a football game.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 22, 2013 16:31

The Rolling Stones, Dangerous - hahahaha!
And Britney Spears is, what, thought-provoking?

Can they still put on a 'good' show? I wasn't at any of the 2012 shows, but judging by those videos, for their age, they can still scrape up a decent Vegas version of themselves. I liked watching those vids to know that they're still alive and, with their army of support musicians, still able to produce music of some sort.

One thing is for sure, I'm glad I didn't buy into the hype machine and actually purchase a ticket for it, I would have felt cheated. Sorry, those videos did NOT represent a show worth $800. Not even close. All this "band" wants is your money. They had an amazing creative period 40-45 years ago, and I sill love that music to this day (which is why I post here if any more Opinion Police ask me). Unfortunately they've become the most contentious, callus, uncaring, wallet-raping millionares calling themselves 'musicians' that I've ever, ever heard of.

There's some bands that I feel are more deserving of my patronage. For example, any other band in the world.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: March 22, 2013 16:39

steverogan
SKILLS
steverogan
mazeltov!

thumbs up, steverogan,

thumbs down, SKILLS, I believe this not the place to disclose such massive hostility and ignorance. I'm sure there are plenty of boards where one can fight and argue, insult and humiliate others. Tell Me is definitely not the place.

This is a real nice place and I enjoy it a lot being round here, but some few posters regularly spoil the fun with polluting the place with their utter aggression, even aside of political and/ or religious discussions.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 22, 2013 17:08

SKILLS
steverogan
mazeltov!

The Rolling Stones maybe?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 22, 2013 17:08

i want the stones to just play there music , as befitting of there status as the greatest rock and roll band in the world .if you need the stones to do different crazy crap to get you to buy a ticket then go see somebody else .if the stones music is not enough at this late stage in there life forget about it.i do not need a travel package or a pre show dinner or a goodie bag .the stones themselves are all i need !!!!!!!!!! also i am not crazy about the high ticket prices ,BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY THE EXPIERENCE OF SEEING THE STONES PUTS A SMILE ON MY FACE LIKE NOTHING ELSE DOES .so moral to the story after the tickets have been paid for the only thing that stays with me are the memories of the glimmer twins at there finest ,which they most certainly were when i went to the barclays center on december 8, and the prudential center on december 15, 2012.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-22 17:13 by TheGreek.

Date: March 22, 2013 19:15

treaclefingers
stonehearted
treaclefingers
PeanutGallery
stonehearted

Peanut
Peanut.Gallery

He's not wrong at all but it's about managing expectations. My point is that it is a bit wishful to expect a bunch of rich 70 year olds that have been in the business for 50 years to sound 'dangerous'. It just isn't going to happen, and if they tried, they'd probably sound ridiculous.

In this case I'm not referring to The Stones or their sound from the stage, but instead the "corporate company lunch" environment that the present incarnation of The Stones' audience brings to the concert experience, many of whom are not 70 but may as well be for all the lack of excitement they radiate. I mean, no naked chicks climbing over rows of people like at Altamont. I figure if I'm going to pay $500 for 2 hours of entertainment, a naked chick or two climbing her way toward the stage ought to be thrown in.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: March 23, 2013 02:38

steverogan
SKILLS
steverogan
mazeltov!

Those are my feelings whenever I hear whingeing about cost of anything, you don't have to buy anything if you feel there is no value for you, but obviously more feel the opposite of you, as evidenced by the consumer behaviour & I'm here because they mean the world to me.

P.S. If you want an example of what Hardcore fans will buy your first opinion "get a boot or two and get "satisfaction" and value " is evidence enough, bet those boots sound great, heck of a mic on the Iphone....please.

Date: March 23, 2013 22:01

jamesfdouglas

The Rolling Stones, Dangerous - hahahaha!
And Britney Spears is, what, thought-provoking?

Can they still put on a 'good' show? I wasn't at any of the 2012 shows, but judging by those videos, for their age, they can still scrape up a decent Vegas version of themselves. I liked watching those vids to know that they're still alive and, with their army of support musicians, still able to produce music of some sort.

One thing is for sure, I'm glad I didn't buy into the hype machine and actually purchase a ticket for it, I would have felt cheated. Sorry, those videos did NOT represent a show worth $800. Not even close. All this "band" wants is your money. They had an amazing creative period 40-45 years ago, and I sill love that music to this day (which is why I post here if any more Opinion Police ask me). Unfortunately they've become the most contentious, callus, uncaring, wallet-raping millionares calling themselves 'musicians' that I've ever, ever heard of.

There's some bands that I feel are more deserving of my patronage. For example, any other band in the world.

It's impossible to argue I think that $800 or more per ticket is worth it for any sort of entertainment. A lot of people are willing to do it I believe, simply because it is a bucket list item...they want their checkmark.

The rock'n'roll tourist that Robinson talked about. It's true.

The Stones are just taking advantage of that fact.

Too much other excellent music out there to get worked up about it though.

Spend $100 instead, keep $200 for a great party, and donate $500 to your favourite charity...you even get a tax deduction!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2182
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home