Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Question for guitar players who switch between Keith's 5-string tuning and 6-string concert tuning
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 22, 2013 00:06

First song? Mine was Let it bleed and YCAGWYW in standard. Then a very primitive version of Midnight Rambler.

Re: Question for guitar players who switch between Keith's 5-string tuning and 6-string concert tuning
Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: March 22, 2013 00:08

DandelionPowderman
No, but I learned how to read music when I played the piano earlier. I learned how to play guitar a different way, though, by listening to records and by discovering licks when trying out different things...

You & me both! I quit piano when I brought a Hot Rocks songbook in to my teacher and told her I wanted to learn "Sympathy". She said no. I kept taking piano lessons for another couple of years but got a guitar and a Mel Bay book a month later, got the basics down, and let records take over from there...

Date: March 22, 2013 00:33

Redhotcarpet
14! >grinning smiley<

You are more experienced than me, then grinning smiley

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 10, 2013 05:30

As a 6-string player (so far), do you 5-string players (or anyone else) think the 6-string START ME UP bit below sounds authentic enough? Or is 5-string the only way to go for SMU?

It's a guitar lesson and he uses START ME UP as just an incidental example. But what do you think? His example starts around 3:10:

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 10, 2013 05:48

The minors are a little tough in Open G. Keith tends to "cheat" a little by just barring three strings and leaving out the 3rd note of the scale, which needs to be flatted to make a minor (Hand Of Fate is a good example). But you also can get a cool minor by just adding the pinky to the second string to make what would normally be an A minor, and letting the highest string (a "D" in open G tuning) ring. You can hear this in Wild Horses.

Date: May 10, 2013 07:02

nope

can't read a note, just listened, no idea of technical stuff

all i know is the open g gives a drone effect because of the tuning of g-d-g-b-d - there's only 3 notes there so you get a ring off the octave notes all the time

which is the genius of it (merci keith)

and all you really need is your middle finger vamping off the b string. and your ring finger off the g or the d string, how ever you want to do it, to varify the sound

piece off piss to do, really

but sounds awesome

i play monkey man in standard, capoed at 2nd

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1915
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home