Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: The Black Crowes' Chris Robinson slams Jagger for insincerity at recent shows
Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 21, 2013 22:34

All musicians have flaky moments where they shoot their mouths (or keyboards) off without really thinking in through. Be it someone famous in a newspaper or completely unknown in a fan forum.

[thepowergoats.com]

Re: The Black Crowes' Chris Robinson slams Jagger for insincerity at recent shows
Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: March 21, 2013 22:50

Doxa
"Rock and Roll Tourist"... Spot on!

For some time I have tried to figure out what to think of this phenomenon of the aging rock and roll legends turning their product to a Barbra Streisand luxury enterteinment show packages, served for a certain wealthy, aged audience in mind, people who want to have their "rock and roll show" safe and sure, Disneyland-easy.

Now this Robinson guy captured the phenomenen with one catchy term.

I don't think the guy is "jealous" at all. It would be absurd to think that any of these younger acts to think that way (what generational gap there is - two or three - between The Crowes and The Stones?) No, he is as big fan of the Stones as we all are here, and he just don't like what his beloved band has ended up like. He could be like what the 70's rock stars thought about Vegas Elvis at the time.

It hurts me to say but I think The Rolling Stones is about the worst example what the so called "classic rock" turned out be like when there was nothing but nostalgia left to sell for easy money.

- Doxa

It hurts you because you are thinking in terms of nostalgia! To me they are the signifier and the signified, the embodiment and the enaction of the social power of their myth, continuing to structure and being structured by it!

Date: March 21, 2013 23:33

What is the big deal? people here on this board say way more inflammatory things about Jagger. a lot ruder. The only reason this is making any kind of impact is because Chris R. himself is a quite well known musician.
His critique is pretty on; many, most here have said similar things. And he is really one of the big fans. He actually gets a whole lot more done "for the Stones cause" than us here, because he is out there performing deep album cuts by the Stones to audiences of thousands. And performing them very well.
To call him a punk, a poser, a no respect upstart is ludicrous. It's just childish.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: March 22, 2013 00:36

Palace Revolution 2000
What is the big deal? people here on this board say way more inflammatory things about Jagger. a lot ruder.

Thank you! It's nice to be noticed...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-22 00:36 by GRNRBITW.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: March 22, 2013 00:45

JAGGER SLAMMED!!!

Yawn.......

Yeah, what else ya got???

Date: March 22, 2013 00:50

uhbuhgullayew
JAGGER SLAMMED!!!

Yawn.......

Keith sucks?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 22, 2013 01:45

GRNRBITW
uhbuhgullayew
JAGGER SLAMMED!!!

Yawn.......

Keith sucks?

Charlie`s old.

Date: March 22, 2013 01:46

treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
uhbuhgullayew
JAGGER SLAMMED!!!

Yawn.......

Keith sucks?

Charlie`s old.

Ronnie`s skinny

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: March 22, 2013 01:47

treaclefingers
treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
uhbuhgullayew
JAGGER SLAMMED!!!

Yawn.......

Keith sucks?

Charlie`s old.

Ronnie`s skinny
Brian's dead.

Date: March 22, 2013 04:27

GumbootCloggeroo
treaclefingers
treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
uhbuhgullayew
JAGGER SLAMMED!!!

Yawn.......

Keith sucks?

Charlie`s old.

Ronnie`s skinny
Brian's dead.

ooooooh...you went there.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 22, 2013 13:36

treaclefingers
GumbootCloggeroo
treaclefingers
treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
uhbuhgullayew
JAGGER SLAMMED!!!

Yawn.......

Keith sucks?

Charlie`s old.

Ronnie`s skinny
Brian's dead.

ooooooh...you went there.

And Bill's a quitter, Mick Taylor's fat and Stu looked too square and middle-class. Why DO we follow this bunch of losers?

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: March 22, 2013 14:19

Marc Ford's playing on Feak and Roll DVD is the closet to MT playing live that I have ever heard. Ford's solos are tight, blistering and nasty at times reminds me of MT's blistering 1972 and 1973 tours from the boots.

play the guitar boy

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 22, 2013 15:24

Palace Revolution 2000
What is the big deal? people here on this board say way more inflammatory things about Jagger. a lot ruder. The only reason this is making any kind of impact is because Chris R. himself is a quite well known musician.
His critique is pretty on; many, most here have said similar things. And he is really one of the big fans. He actually gets a whole lot more done "for the Stones cause" than us here, because he is out there performing deep album cuts by the Stones to audiences of thousands. And performing them very well.
To call him a punk, a poser, a no respect upstart is ludicrous. It's just childish.

Very well put Palace. thumbs upsmileys with beer

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 22, 2013 15:56

OpenG
Marc Ford's playing on Feak and Roll DVD is the closet to MT playing live that I have ever heard. Ford's solos are tight, blistering and nasty at times reminds me of MT's blistering 1972 and 1973 tours from the boots.

play the guitar boy

That CD is incredible! I agree with you. Man just the version of Halfway to Everywhere practically blows my speakers out. Fantastic Exile sounding song, and some beautiful guitar weaving on it. The horns too are more soulful and gritty than should be possible in this digital age. Great disc! My favorite of their live ones.

Date: March 22, 2013 16:10

Freak and Roll - Black Crowes

Yes the dual guitar outro on Soul Singing is just awesome. Marc is so controlled when he plays, nasty, blistering, dirty leads just like MT was. He controls his vibrato and does not play sloppy( compared to a guy like Jimmy Page, don,t get me wrong who I loved his live playing).

The songs have that exile feel and vibe on the DVD

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 22, 2013 16:37

Yeah, great DVD, and Soul Singing is also another of my fav of that. Very Zeppelin/Stones hybrid. Great riffing on it.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: March 22, 2013 17:00

keefriffhard4life
pinkfloydthebarber
Elmo Lewis
I like the Crowes, but Chris has made a career out of channeling Mick, Rod, and Steve Marriott. Show a little respect, punk! Mick prolly banged Goldie Hawn long before you met the daughter.

hahahaha ! sweet. and bang frucken on. i mean even at 69 jagger is 100x the singer and frontman robinson could ever even dream to be, and this is just plain goofy comin from a singer froma wanna be stones band that woulda gone nowhere had they not stapled the stones sound and ripped it off in the first place.

so mick might come off as contrived once in a while; the whole damn crowes sschtick is and always has been contrived

mick jagger a better singer than chris robinson. get a quarter and go buy a clue

A better frontman: yes. A better singer: hell no!

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 22, 2013 17:16

Title5Take1
Chris Robinson who wears a skull ring. How original.

lol...

The Stones have been doing this longer, harder and at a higher level than any rock and roll band. So what's his latest Faces rip off?
Let's see where he is at the Black Crows' 50th.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 22, 2013 18:13

mr edward
keefriffhard4life
pinkfloydthebarber
Elmo Lewis
I like the Crowes, but Chris has made a career out of channeling Mick, Rod, and Steve Marriott. Show a little respect, punk! Mick prolly banged Goldie Hawn long before you met the daughter.

hahahaha ! sweet. and bang frucken on. i mean even at 69 jagger is 100x the singer and frontman robinson could ever even dream to be, and this is just plain goofy comin from a singer froma wanna be stones band that woulda gone nowhere had they not stapled the stones sound and ripped it off in the first place.

so mick might come off as contrived once in a while; the whole damn crowes sschtick is and always has been contrived
[/i] (at around 3:30), for example. I think Robinson sound like an idiot attemptign that Robinson

mick jagger a better singer than chris robinson. get a quarter and go buy a clue

One thing that makes Mick a great singer is a sort of acting talent that most other singers don't have. For example, all that great attitude during the breathy bit of It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (around 3:30). I think Robinsion attempting the same would sound like an idiotic poseur.

Date: March 22, 2013 19:42

mr edward
keefriffhard4life
pinkfloydthebarber
Elmo Lewis

Well,
Lou Graham is a 'better singer' than Mick. Steve Perry is a 'better singer' than Bob Dylan. The guy from Boston is a 'better singer' than Neil Young.
It's all relative.
What Jagger, Dylan, Young and other greats have is charisma, depth and a certain authority and distinctiveness in their delivery.
Could Chris Robinson do Miss You with the same swagger, humor and grit?
Hell no!

Date: March 22, 2013 19:49

GumbootCloggeroo
Sometimes when someone says something bad about Justin Bieber, his fans attack that person on twitter, most recently with Selena Gomez saying on Letterman that she made Bieber cry.

Exact same thing happens on this message board. It's pathetic.

Well Gumboot,
your argument would be stronger if Patrick Carney hadn't started the whole Bieber bitch fight. You know, the 32-year old who kept mouthing off, unprovoked, about the 19-year old. Beliebers shot back because they're fans. Carney was the child,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-22 19:54 by stupidguy2.

Date: March 22, 2013 19:52

double post...

Date: March 22, 2013 22:58

So Chris wears a skull ring; he has fashioned his initial career after Stones and Faces. isn't that exactly what Keith has always said was his mission? To pass it on to the next generation?
Mick and Keith copped their moves and singing style from their idols. Chris could have picked a lot worse idols than the Stones and Faces. CR is one of the best frontmen in rock'n roll IMO.
The Crowes probably won't be around at 50. Good - who wants to see them for 50 more yeaRS? I'm not even so sure the Stones are great at 50...

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 22, 2013 23:45

treaclefingers
Chris does sound a bit bitchy.

In other news, what the hell is the article talking about,

"in London on November 25 and 29, 2012 shifted as many as 31,755 tickets. Their US dates at Brooklyn's new Barclays Center on December 8 as well as a two-show stint on December 13 and 15 at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey, pushed the total number of tickets sold to 364,864 over all five dates"

That means if you take out the UK shows, the 3 US shows presumably moved 333109 tickets or an average of 111000 tickets per show. Not bad for venues that seat only 20000 people.

What a sloppy bit of journalism. Unless they are talking about the PPV tickets as well. If so, they should say that....AND if so, doesn't say much for PPV ticket sales!
Journalism is crap.
But, Jagger could maybe focus more on singing than dacing around - he is a singer in a rock band and not a dancer, so Chris is somehow right.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: March 23, 2013 02:17

OpenG

Yes the dual guitar outro on Soul Singing is just awesome. Marc is so controlled when he plays, nasty, blistering, dirty leads just like MT was. He controls his vibrato and does not play sloppy( compared to a guy like Jimmy Page, don,t get me wrong who I loved his live playing).

What they don't understand is simply what they are all missing...nobody's come as close to the Stones live '72 as the Crowes did here...PERIOD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-23 02:24 by shadooby.

Date: March 23, 2013 15:41

Yes closet live performance to stones 72 especially on jealous again you can just close your eyes and hear the swagger on tumbling dice from 72

Date: March 23, 2013 16:25

OpenG

OpenG, you are so right. I liked the Marc Foprd incarnation of the Crowes the most, by far. I too, have always thought he came so close to recapturing Mick Taylor; esp. fused with Gorman's drumming and R. Robinson's guitar

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 23, 2013 16:38

I remember when the first videos of the 2012 came up on youtube via IORR 100% of the reponse was positive like probably 100% of the audience. Now time has passed and people reflect and decide that it wasn't that great after all. I personally stick with my first impression and I enjoy the shows or bits of it that I watch on Youtube. Tourists or not the rolling stones were great on stage in 2012 and that is what matters to me. Sure the prices were outrageous but the shows were really exciting.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: March 23, 2013 16:49

rollmops
I remember when the first videos of the 2012 came up on youtube via IORR 100% of the reponse was positive like probably 100% of the audience. Now time has passed and people reflect and decide that it wasn't that great after all. I personally stick with my first impression and I enjoy the shows or bits of it that I watch on Youtube. Tourists or not the rolling stones were great on stage in 2012 and that is what matters to me. Sure the prices were outrageous but the shows were really exciting.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Brooklyn and Newark13 were great shows. I had a blast and they rocked!!!

When I think back, ticket prices are the last thing that comes to mind. Great shows overshadowed ticket prices.

Date: March 23, 2013 17:01

MingSubu
When I think back, ticket prices are the last thing that comes to mind.

the mind has the amazing ability to block out traumatic experiences....

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1837
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home