Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Why Tickets are So $$$$$$$$$$$$ — [the explanation.]
Posted by: PeanutGallery ()
Date: March 14, 2013 02:47

Ticket Masters: The Rise of the Concert Industry and How the Public Got Scalped.
[I think that I'd have to take exception to that being put in the past tense. Peanut]

Ticket Masters is the definitive book on the issue. Having been published in June 2011, you're apt to find it amongst the holdings in your own library system. Amazingly, a search of this site, turns up nothing,... Apparently hasn't been discussed here as yet. How timely.

by Dean Budnick and Josh Baron
www.ecwpress.com/books/ticket-masters
ECW Press, Toronto, Canada
Available in hard copy, paperback, and a couple of digital versions.

In the spring of 1975 a trio of neophyte businessmen backed an old Chrysler onto a sun–baked Arizona driveway and convened in their new office. The garage start–up, dubbed Ticketmaster, would come to achieve such market dominance over the following decades some critics would denounce the company as an unlawful monopoly. Yet its path to the top was far from inevitable and Ticket Masters analyzes the legality and ethics behind the actions of Ticketmaster, including its recent merger with Live Nation.

Ticket Masters, based on first–person interivews with the key players, is a character–driven story that explores the actions and impact of the iconoclasts guiding Clear Channel, Ticketmaster, Live Nation, SFX, MusicToday, and StubHub, while folding in related tales of trustafarians, scalping syndicates, old–school music promoters, and would–be Internet tycoons.
Ticket Masters answers such questions as: Just what is included in a service fee and why does it vary with the price of a ticket? Why am I forced to pay for parking when I’m taking public transportation to the concert? and Who really pockets all of that money?

This guide to the concert industry looks into cubicles, conference rooms, and booking agencies and includes interviews with promoters, musicians, and corporate executives with connections to both Ticketmaster and the bands. Special attention is paid to the touring activities and ticket–selling practices of the Grateful Dead, Pearl Jam, U2, Dave Matthews Band, and the Rolling Stones.

Now, here comes VirginLive,... oh whoppie!

Peanut
PeanutGallery

p.s. Dylan corrects us: Money doesn't talk — it swears.
It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)

Re: Why Tickets are So $$$$$$$$$$$$ — [the explanation.]
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 14, 2013 02:56

We're supposed to buy a book to find out why ticket prices are so high?

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: March 14, 2013 03:08

x

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-15 00:48 by colonial.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: March 14, 2013 03:16

tatters

It's been out almost 2 years, so you can probably find it in the bargain bin.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 14, 2013 03:54

tatters

Nobody buys books in the internet age, when they can be downloaded for free:

www.2shared.com/document/iFNDLJk5/Ticket_Masters_-_The_Rise_of_t.html

or

bestebooksfree.net/ticket-masters-the-rise-of-the-concert-industry-and-how-the-public-got-scalped-by-dean-budnick-and-josh-baron/

Of course, in this age of I want it a minute ago fast-paced technology, in case you are too impatient to wait for a 2-second pdf download, you can type the following into Google:

Ticket Masters: The Rise of the Concert Industry and How the Public Got Scalped pdf

and the entire book is available, yours for the scrolling, at books.google.com/, which is the sixth link from the top.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: March 14, 2013 15:52

stonehearted
tatters

or

bestebooksfree.net/ticket-masters-the-rise-of-the-concert-industry-and-how-the-public-got-scalped-by-dean-budnick-and-josh-baron/

Of course, in this age of I want it a minute ago fast-paced technology, in case you are too impatient to wait for a 2-second pdf download, you can type the following into Google:

Ticket Masters: The Rise of the Concert Industry and How the Public Got Scalped pdf

and the entire book is available, yours for the scrolling, at books.google.com/, which is the sixth link from the top.

if no one buys them, people will soon stop writing them

Date: March 14, 2013 16:18

Send It To me

That's not true. Writers make all their money from touring.

Who can forget Hemingway's "A Farewell To Arms Tour"?

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: March 14, 2013 17:32

I bought this book the day it came out. Awesome read!

Posted by: R ()
Date: March 14, 2013 17:53

It's worth noting that blockbuster lighting, special effects and multiple, massive, hi-res video screens, along with the people who make them function, are not free. All add to the cost of a ticket.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: March 14, 2013 18:15

Supply and demand.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 14, 2013 18:34

No record sales, then the revenue is on the ticket sales and then compared to 40-50 years ago, todays stageshow etc. is much more advance.
That's one of the many reasons.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 14, 2013 18:39

I saw the Stones in 1975 for $9.00. I saw Blue Oyster Cult, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Ted Nugent and Starz at Rich Stadium in 1978 for $6.50. Times have changed.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: March 14, 2013 18:53

More Hot Rocks
I saw the Stones in 1975 for $9.00. I saw Blue Oyster Cult, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Ted Nugent and Starz at Rich Stadium in 1978 for $6.50. Times have changed.

what was your salary in 1975 or 1978? How you earned,,,lets say,for an hour?

7 bucks?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 14, 2013 19:01

marko
More Hot Rocks

what was your salary in 1975 or 1978? How you earned,,,lets say,for an hour?

7 bucks?

I beleive you're close. I should be making $1000 bucks an hour now to keep up on seeing The Stones.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: March 14, 2013 19:05

I actually bought an autographed copy of that book and when I found out that the signatures were 'AuotPen' signatures I felt really ripped off!

I just could not beleive Ticket Master let me down like that.

I remember getting really drunk on RollingStones.Com wine that night and crying all over my keep-sake 'Laminate' which now has a tear-stain resembling Brian Jones on it -- you know like the Grilled Cheese Jesus auctioned off on eBay.

Date: March 14, 2013 19:21

Send It To me
stonehearted
tatters

or

I wasn't really serious with that initial comment, just being jovial. I'm sure the download sites as well as books.google.com don't acquire them right away, probably not until after their initial publication run when they reach the remaindered stage or until after they are sent to public libraries--from which we can also borrow them and read them for free.

Date: March 14, 2013 19:25

Also back in the day most rock bands were performing mainly for teenagers and young adults who did not necessarily have a lot of money or credit cards. Most ticket sales were cash. Today, the same bands and performers that are still touring, all these years later, have a majority older audience many of whom have a higher income, savings and credit cards.

Posted by: GADAWG ()
Date: March 14, 2013 19:32

R
It's worth noting that blockbuster lighting, special effects and multiple, massive, hi-res video screens, along with the people who make them function, are not free. All add to the cost of a ticket.

And imagine the cost when rolled into only 5 shows as opposed to 140 tour dates. I don't think all the bitching has been entirely fair.

Date: March 14, 2013 21:44

GADAWG
R

And imagine the cost when rolled into only 5 shows as opposed to 140 tour dates. I don't think all the bitching has been entirely fair.

I have no doubt the staging, etc. that we saw last year in London, Brooklyn and Newark will be the same thing you'll see at any 2013 shows. Likewise the multiple nights.

Date: March 14, 2013 22:22

tatters

No tatters — I don't really mean that. It's not that easy. You're actually going to have to read the book. OTOH, for all I know, there may be a comic book edition out with crayons.

Peanut
PeanutGallery

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 15, 2013 00:24

R

So what's Neil Young's excuse when he charges a fortune for a solo acoustic show?

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: March 15, 2013 00:38

NoCode0680
Send It To me

That's not true. Writers make all their money from touring.

Who can forget Hemingway's "A Farewell To Arms Tour"?

Well if Hemingway made money from the tour after being broke it would be Farewell to alms...

Date: March 15, 2013 02:10

stonehearted
tatters

From the title page of the book.

... Please purchase only authorized electronic editions, and do not participate in or encourage electronic piracy of copyrighted materials. Your support of the author's rights is appreciated.

Suppose part of the ticket price problems, may be connected to this,...?

or

I don't think so. Every page there's a group of words,...

This is a preview. The total pages displayed will be limited.

What does that mean?

Peanut
PeanutGallery

Date: March 15, 2013 03:23

PeanutGallery
stonehearted
tatters

From the title page of the book.

... Please purchase only authorized electronic editions, and do not participate in or encourage electronic piracy of copyrighted materials. Your support of the author's rights is appreciated.

Suppose part of the ticket price problems, may be connected to this,...?

or

I don't think so. Every page there's a group of words,...

This is a preview. The total pages displayed will be limited.

What does that mean?

Peanut
PeanutGallery

I don't know, I didn't actually view the pdf downloads, and I merely did a scrolling skim through the books.google.com link--I assume the Google books link is the one you mean? To me, a preview is what they show you on the Amazon site--just a few pages of a select chapter. But the Google books link seems to have dozens upon dozens pages available consecutively. Still, it is possible to read the entire book for free, in hard copy, with a public library card.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 15, 2013 06:25

tickets are expensive because we don't know what to do with our discretionary income.

Giving it to underprivileged children is a luxury we can't afford though.

Date: March 15, 2013 16:24

treaclefingers
tickets are expensive because we don't know what to do with our discretionary income.

Is anybody stopping you from giving your discretionary income to poor kids? Anybody at all or are you free to do so to your heart's content? And if you are free to do so, do you do so?

Date: March 15, 2013 16:42

R
treaclefingers

Is anybody stopping you from giving your discretionary income to poor kids? Anybody at all or are you free to do so to your heart's content? And if you are free to do so, do you do so?

I actually do. You don't have to get mad at me...I've touched a bit of a nerve with you it seems. Are you feeling guilty or something?

Date: March 15, 2013 16:57

treaclefingers
R
treaclefingers

I actually do. You don't have to get mad at me...I've touched a bit of a nerve with you it seems. Are you feeling guilty or something?

Can I count these guys as underprivileged children?

Skull rings don't buy themselves you know.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: March 15, 2013 18:38

Why Tickets are So $$$$$$$$$$$$

Cohl

Date: March 15, 2013 19:39

uhbuhgullayew
Why Tickets are So $$$$$$$$$$$$

Cohl

That's just cohld man.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1750
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home