Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
the envious, bittersweet conditions the Stones find themselves in
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 8, 2013 15:31

after all these years:

glory, fame, still standing and performing, but a lifelong friendship damaged beyond repair.

able to command the highest ticket prices ever, yet forced to perform decades-old material

Families strong, yet affected by tawdry books, alcohol, drug abuse..scandal..

Delivered on all promises and earned the highest degree of professionalism..yet swindled out of ownership of many of their greatest songs

this band has brought joy to so many for so long.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-08 15:34 by duke richardson.

Re: the envious, bittersweet conditions the Stones find themselves in
Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: March 8, 2013 16:00

Well, anyone of them has no reason to complain, from a material point of view. Although one or another of the boys may feel pain that there are still other people far richer then themselves. In such a sense there's no satifaction in sight ...

Yes, they've brought joy to so many of us over such a long period of time. Their merits stand beyond any doubt. Greatest rock'n'roll ( or R&B ) band in the world. Yes.

What, however, cost them so much sympathy among so many of their oldest and true friends and resulted in a real and - to some - blasphemic outburst on this forum - inclusive of even a number of the most prominent IORRians - by the end of 2012, is the blatant greediness shown as of late. That is rather sad - for many of us as well as for them, for they might end up being remembered mainly for such aspects.

That's what makes my relation towards my favourite band in fact a rather bittersweet one since then.

Let's wait and see the further developments.

EDIT: Some smileys had smuggled in unintentedly.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-08 16:11 by dead.flowers.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 8, 2013 16:07

I hate when you open a new thread and there are back to back great posts leaving you with nothing to say.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 8, 2013 16:09

...never liked smooth anyway ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: March 8, 2013 16:13

They all seem happy. Many of their friends and contemporaries
are no longer living..

They look like they are enjoing their family and their lives...

Even with all the ups and downs they are enjoying the $$$$$$ they made.
i don't think they could spend all the money they made even if they wanted to...

They did it their way and are still doing it their way today...Rock on!!!

Date: March 8, 2013 16:14

treaclefingers
I hate when you open a new thread and there are back to back great posts leaving you with nothing to say.

To a non-native speaker: Does that mean you'd support the previous posts?

Date: March 8, 2013 16:21

dead.flowers
treaclefingers

To a non-native speaker: Does that mean you'd support the previous posts?

Yes indeed...I said great posts!

Date: March 8, 2013 16:33

duke richardson
after all these years:

glory, fame, still standing and performing, but a lifelong friendship damaged beyond repair.

able to command the highest ticket prices ever, yet forced to perform decades-old material

Families strong, yet affected by tawdry books, alcohol, drug abuse..scandal..

Delivered on all promises and earned the highest degree of professionalism..yet swindled out of ownership of many of their greatest songs

this band has brought joy to so many for so long.

Greatest joy givers the world has ever known, but flawed to the bone, like all the rest of us.

Date: March 8, 2013 16:34

Right, thank you, treaclefingers, for the feedback.

For English is not my mother tongue, and, especially in everyday conversation as this, I am sometimes taking my time till the penny drops.

Reverting back to the topic, situation is bittersweet in fact.

But, as old Mick already said before "You'll never make a saint of me."

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 8, 2013 16:50

Rockman
...never liked smooth anyway ...

me either, Rockman..late Rembrandt comes to mind...

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: March 8, 2013 16:53

o the melodrama!

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: March 8, 2013 20:11

duke richardson
affected by tawdry books, alcohol, drug abuse..scandal..

Certainly not in that order.

Posted by: Masseolle51 ()
Date: March 8, 2013 23:56

Well, how much I love the Stones I would never pay the ticket prices in London for a show in Sweden! Maybe if they would come back to Malmö. The place where I saw them in 65 and 70. That would never happen!! So me and the son will see Iron Maiden at Friends Arena in June! Maybe not the same but still great fun!!

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: March 9, 2013 17:16

Le mot juste is enviable, not envious, but this is a very beautiful, entirely accurate summary.

Date: March 9, 2013 22:41

Yeah Duke .................................. Slave Ship --- JMW Turner 1840

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 10, 2013 01:20

It's hard to tell what the mindset of the band is. I thought of them when they were playing one of those British Invasion programs on PBS last night. A bunch of old codgers dragged up on stage to play one, maybe two songs they made 50 years on. And yet, their contemperaries, the Stones, are still relevant and still packing them in to great praise and millions of dollars. They've long surpassed any rock and roll group, including the Beatles, in paid attendance.

Everyone sees the sunset is coming. The party can't last forever. It does seem that emotions are a little closer to the surface. There's obviously a distance between Jagger and Richards that they don't even bother to cover with showbiz phoniness. The reunion with Wyman seemed empty and only Ronnie appeared to have acknowledged his presence on stage with them. This is not a warm group of people just happy to be in each other's company. (Unless they hide it very well).

That they're readying another round of concerts as basically a glorified oldies act, is an evident money grab. It looked like bringing in Wyman and Taylor was going to give it a family feel, and a chance for fans to see them and hear them together again. Now that has passed and I doubt we'll get anything but the same old tired same old that we've gotten since Voodoo Lounge. And if they aren't secretly working on an album right now, the chance of that happening soon seems far fetched. As a fan since the 60s, for the first time in my life I can't say I'm excited about the upcoming tour. Maybe they'll twist something around to gin up interest, but at this date I can't see what that would be. Here's to hope.drinking smiley

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 10, 2013 01:45

Rockman

Yeah Duke .................................. Slave Ship --- JMW Turner 1840

I wish I had that one hanging in my house

Date: March 10, 2013 01:59

I wish I had that one hanging in my house ....YEAH Al ...

Detail from ---Slave Ship formally known as --- Slavers throwing overboard the Dead and Dying Typhon coming on --- JMW Turner 1840

ROCKMAN

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 10, 2013 02:39

As far as the friendship damaged beyond repair, I wouldn't bet on it. Not saying they will be the bosom buddies of their youth, but I wouldn't be surprised if they patch up their differences on this tour. Many people as they move into old age, if they have any sense, put all the stupid stuff behind them. You can call Mick and Keith many things, but stupid isn't one of them.

Date: March 10, 2013 02:51

As far as the friendship damaged beyond repair, I wouldn't bet on it

Thick as theives .... they can knock each other but
try musclin' in with one or the other and see where ya end up...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 10, 2013 03:07

Rockman
As far as the friendship damaged beyond repair, I wouldn't bet on it

Thick as theives .... they can knock each other but
try musclin' in with one or the other and see where ya end up...

I hope we're both right Rockeee...

Date: March 10, 2013 03:09

trust me ......We's right ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: March 10, 2013 03:36

the fact that there friendship is tarnished is really overated.my brother is good friends with bernard fowler and he told my brother they got along just fine in rehersals,laughing hugging and being themselves.this ids not and probably will not be the last time keith says something to piss mick off.mick has learned to accept the shit keith says,does not like it ,but accepts it.they have been taking swipes at each other for years,but they both know neither is nothing(from a public perspective)without the other.mick need keith,keith need mick,neither are replaceble as band mates,and certainly they love each other dearly after all is said and done.just listen to what mick says when introducing keith,either on bigger band dvd,or shine a light,mick says still engaged!!

Date: March 10, 2013 05:15

backstreetboy1
the fact that there friendship is tarnished is really overated.my brother is good friends with bernard fowler and he told my brother they got along just fine in rehersals,laughing hugging and being themselves.this ids not and probably will not be the last time keith says something to piss mick off.mick has learned to accept the shit keith says,does not like it ,but accepts it.they have been taking swipes at each other for years,but they both know neither is nothing(from a public perspective)without the other.mick need keith,keith need mick,neither are replaceble as band mates,and certainly they love each other dearly after all is said and done.just listen to what mick says when introducing keith,either on bigger band dvd,or shine a light,mick says still engaged!!

I sure want to believe this. The "proof in the pudding" will be when we hear that they are working on a new album together. If that never happens then something is amiss.

Date: March 10, 2013 05:17

latebloomer
As far as the friendship damaged beyond repair, I wouldn't bet on it. Not saying they will be the bosom buddies of their youth, but I wouldn't be surprised if they patch up their differences on this tour. Many people as they move into old age, if they have any sense, put all the stupid stuff behind them. You can call Mick and Keith many things, but stupid isn't one of them.

Flawed, yes, stupid, no.

Date: March 10, 2013 06:23

No new album = BITTER!

Date: March 10, 2013 07:34

Yes, and I have grown even more bitter in the last hour!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 10, 2013 13:06

backstreetboy1

Not to take anything of the credibility of your brother, or mr. Fowler's testimony, but we are talking about English gentlemen here are running a million dollar enterprise, and who are there at work, not having a family meeting or a social gathering, or being there "just for fun". They have a business affair to run, and make it work. The same goes for all their public appearances together. I don't think much anything to be read off, at least of their inner feelings, from their beheavior in cirmustances like that. Be Mick and Keith hugging together, smiling to each other, or not. They are pro people, who do what is needed to do, and leave the bullshit out. Keeping up the appareances is no big deal for folks like them. And little good-mannered small-talk is a good way to keep the atmophere 'right'. How "English" this is, I can't tell.

I think one of the telling lessons in many of their biographies, including autobiographical ones, is how little they talk to each other of anything that is not related to their work. I recall Bill Wyman once saying that one of the reasons they were able to 'survive' was the pragmatic attitude they have towards their job. This means that when they are at work, all the personal issues are left out of the picture, the focus is just to keep the band and their deals going on. Bockris in his Keith biography emphasizes the almost stubborn "silence" that is typical method of working for them. Not any "real" problem is discussed at all, but just left undiscussed behind.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-10 13:13 by Doxa.

Date: March 10, 2013 17:41

Doxa
backstreetboy1

Not to take anything of the credibility of your brother, or mr. Fowler's testimony, but we are talking about English gentlemen here are running a million dollar enterprise, and who are there at work, not having a family meeting or a social gathering, or being there "just for fun". They have a business affair to run, and make it work. The same goes for all their public appearances together. I don't think much anything to be read off, at least of their inner feelings, from their beheavior in cirmustances like that. Be Mick and Keith hugging together, smiling to each other, or not. They are pro people, who do what is needed to do, and leave the bullshit out. Keeping up the appareances is no big deal for folks like them. And little good-mannered small-talk is a good way to keep the atmophere 'right'. How "English" this is, I can't tell.

I think one of the telling lessons in many of their biographies, including autobiographical ones, is how little they talk to each other of anything that is not related to their work. I recall Bill Wyman once saying that one of the reasons they were able to 'survive' was the pragmatic attitude they have towards their job. This means that when they are at work, all the personal issues are left out of the picture, the focus is just to keep the band and their deals going on. Bockris in his Keith biography emphasizes the almost stubborn "silence" that is typical method of working for them. Not any "real" problem is discussed at all, but just left undiscussed behind.

- Doxa

...and you either have all that or you don't have a band, certainly not since 1983 and maybe even earlier.

Date: March 10, 2013 18:59

Doxa
backstreetboy1

- Doxa

The real question is: Can they work together on a new album? Showing up in a studio for rehearsals and performing on stage with a group is totally different then being able to sit down alone together and bounce ideas off each other. They were able to do it for ABB. Some would argue that something was missing on that collaboration. Something has definitely changed since Keith wrote his book. If the relationship is really healed, and all has been forgiven, then there is no reason why we shouldn't get a new album at some point. Maybe further healing has to take place? Maybe these coming shows will allow for further healing to the point that they start working on new material together afterwards? The problem is that time is, that time is no longer on their side. Or is it? Only time will tell.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1299
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home