Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: OT: Horse Meat
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 27, 2013 00:58

latebloomer
Max'sKansasCity
latebloomer
Max'sKansasCity
latebloomer
Max'sKansasCity
Horse meat is perfect meat, better than beef.

Some peoples will eat anything... dogs, cats, crickets, slugs, dirt... and claim it is all better than beef.

Right you are...besides, who cares about horse meat when you can eat licorice? My kid picked up a bag for me from the candy store, she knows the way to make her Mama happy.

I love The Rolling Stones and I love licorice!smiling bouncing smiley

smiling smiley And when Mom is happy... EVERYONE is (more likely to be) happy.

Do you like regular licorice flavor or cherry / strawberry flavors?

Well if I am what I eat, than I am a big bag of bridge mix licorice right now!
Max, any licorice lover worth her salt will tell you that black licorice is the real deal, followed by red.
The twizzler stuff is not worth the package it comes in, but in a pinch, I'll eat any kind I can get.
Interesting... what do you think is the best, widely available, licorice? I used to like the black when I was kid, but Ilike red now.

We might be headed into dangerous territory here, BV doesn't like food conversations, although I'm not sure licorice qualifies as food...anyway, I'll make this quick.
It has been my experience, that most people feel that the black licorice is too strong, but to me, the black is like a nice shot of anisette, only without the kick. See's candy has the best licorice, but I R&J's is really good too.

Thank you for the See's and R&J's idea. TIL today I learned smiling smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 27, 2013 01:02

treaclefingers
latebloomer
Max'sKansasCity
latebloomer
Max'sKansasCity
latebloomer
Max'sKansasCity

Some peoples will eat anything... dogs, cats, crickets, slugs, dirt... and claim it is all better than beef.

Right you are...besides, who cares about horse meat when you can eat licorice? My kid picked up a bag for me from the candy store, she knows the way to make her Mama happy.

Max, any licorice lover worth her salt will tell you that black licorice is the real deal, followed by red.
The twizzler stuff is not worth the package it comes in, but in a pinch, I'll eat any kind I can get.
Interesting... what do you think is the best, widely available, licorice? I used to like the black when I was kid, but Ilike red now.

We might be headed into dangerous territory here, BV doesn't like food conversations, although I'm not sure licorice qualifies as food...anyway, I'll make this quick.
It has been my experience, that most people feel that the black licorice is too strong, but to me, the black is like a nice shot of anisette, only without the kick. See's candy has the best licorice, but R&J's is really good too.

You have it backwards latebloomer....Anisette, Sambuca, Ouzo...it all tastes gross, but at least the reward was the alcohol content!

Au contraire my dear treacle, you just have to sip it slowly, a little at a time. Most people try to gulp it down, like a shot of whiskey.

Date: February 27, 2013 01:04

Max'sKansasCity
latebloomer
Max'sKansasCity
latebloomer
Max'sKansasCity
latebloomer
Max'sKansasCity

It has been my experience, that most people feel that the black licorice is too strong, but to me, the black is like a nice shot of anisette, only without the kick. See's candy has the best licorice, but R&J's is really good too.

Thank you for the See's and R&J's idea. TIL today I learned smiling smiley

You're very welcome Max, enjoy.smiling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 27, 2013 01:07

latebloomer
treaclefingers
latebloomer
Max'sKansasCity
latebloomer
Max'sKansasCity
latebloomer
Max'sKansasCity

You have it backwards latebloomer....Anisette, Sambuca, Ouzo...it all tastes gross, but at least the reward was the alcohol content!

Au contraire my dear treacle, you just have to sip it slowly, a little at a time. Most people try to gulp it down, like a shot of whiskey.

Excuse me for saying latebloomer, but it kind of seems like you don't know the first thing about getting drunk.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 27, 2013 01:08

latebloomer
Max'sKansasCity
latebloomer
Max'sKansasCity
latebloomer
Max'sKansasCity

Well Latebloomer if ever will visit Holland don't forget to visit our candy stores specialized in black licorice (Drop)

Date: February 27, 2013 01:20

I would love to visit Holland NICOS for all kinds of reasons, now I have one more!

Trecle, you might be right, I am admittedly a light weight when it comes to drinking. But I do know that drinking fast and getting drunk might get you to where you want faster, but taking it slow is a lot more fun. drinking smiley

Horse meat pie???
Date: August 29, 2006 02:44

So, in the song 'Bitch' Mick sings...."I'm feeling hungry, can't see the reason, just ate a horse meat pie."
Do people really eat horses?? If not, what the heck is horse meat pie?

Re: Horse meat pie???
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 29, 2006 02:45

they shoot 'em and then they eat 'em. always in that order.

Posted by: madmaxx ()
Date: August 29, 2006 02:46

In Europe if it does not say Beef steak then you are getting Horse.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 29, 2006 02:47

unless it's haggis, madmaxx....don't forget the haggis.

Date: August 29, 2006 02:49

You cannot mistake a Haggis for a Horse they are far too short.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: August 29, 2006 07:15

i know that wild horses are caught and others sold at auction (including a famous race horse) end up slaughtered and sold to france and japan to eat. there's a new horse slaughterhouse in dekalb, illinois. a bill to ban horse slaughter in illinois almost passed.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: August 29, 2006 09:27

I've always thought the song lyrics in "Bitch" are a Mick bi/gay double entendre, since there's that expression, "hung like a horse." And pie is used in a sexual sense in other Stones songs, ergo . . . In live versions of the song, he also alternated girl and boy when addressing the person/persons in the song, or at least he did in the early '70s (as he also sings "just like a young man should" in some live versions of "Brown Sugar," even now).

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: August 29, 2006 11:04

madmaxx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In Europe if it does not say Beef steak then you
> are getting Horse.

Where in Europe? Europe goes from Portugal to Russia and from Gibraltar to Cape North.

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: Skink ()
Date: August 29, 2006 11:06

In Holland you have frikandellen, they're partially made from horses. Some say they are made from horses eyeballs and penisses, but I can not confirm that.

Posted by: swampff ()
Date: August 29, 2006 12:38

"Some say they are made from horses eyeballs and penisses,"

what, the duch?

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 29, 2006 19:54

What about steak&kidney pies?
they don't tell ya whos steak & kidney they use, do they?

Posted by: john r ()
Date: August 29, 2006 20:15

In the USA we sometimes salivate like a Pavlov's dog. Othertimes we're so shy, got to be worked on, don't have no bark or bite.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: August 29, 2006 20:20

human beings won't change, till they understand whats on the end of their fork
(William Burroughs)

Posted by: Skink ()
Date: August 29, 2006 20:40

swampff Wrote:
> "Some say they are made from horses eyeballs and
> penisses,"
>
> what, the duch?

It's made from meat-waste, I guess you'd call it that.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: August 29, 2006 20:44

always brightens my day when I see a William S. Burroughs quote:
"Women may well be a biological mistake; I said so in 'The Job.' But so is almost everything else I see around here....And now - as the deadly cycles of overpopulation, pollution, depletion of resources, radio-activity and conflict escalate towards a cataclysmic sauve-qui-peut - thoughtful citizens are asking themselves if the whole human race wasn't a mistake from the starting gate."
("Women: A Biological Mistake?")

Date: August 29, 2006 20:52

bruno Wrote:
> madmaxx Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > In Europe if it does not say Beef steak then
> you
> > are getting Horse.
>
> Where in Europe? Europe goes from Portugal to
> Russia and from Gibraltar to Cape North.

Spain, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria,The Netherlands,Sweden, Belgium and France.

I am sure there are more countrys that eat it.

Have not seen it on a menu in the UK but I dont think there is a law against eating it here, just most people would freak if they found that they were eating a pony.

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: August 29, 2006 21:32

horses tast very fine, low fat, very good meat
never got horse meat in a restaurant, i have to go to the viktualienmarket to buy some at a special butcher!!

btw here is a recipe for the pie (it seems to be an old italian recipe)

Horse and Pepper Pie

1 pound ground horse meat
2 cups sweet red peppers, with sauce
1 onion, chopped
1 (4.5 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie

Place peppers, including liquid, into food processor; pulse until
peppers are cut into small pieces.

Brown horse meat and onions. Add peppers, mushrooms, and cheese to
meat mixture. Spoon into bottom crust. Cover with top crust, and
seal the edges.

Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) until crust is brown, and
pie is heated through.

Serves 8

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-29 21:33 by TeleK.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 29, 2006 21:50

In Holland, horse meat was a cheap alternative to beef, and up to the 70's you could get it in any super market. Horse steak and smoked horse meat is actually very nice, it's a bit more tender than beef. But slowly, as people get richer, horse meat is disapearing from the menu. You won't see it in any restaurant for example.

Mathijs

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: February 26, 2013 23:48

"French, Italians, Swiss, Japanese and Quebecois in Canada are horse meat aficionados...The French appetite for horse meat dates from the Battle of Eylau in 1807, when the surgeon-in-chief of Napoleon’s Army, Baron Dominique-Jean Larry, advised the starving troops to eat the flesh of dead battlefield horses. The cavalry used breastplates as cooking pans. They also used whatever spices they could get their hands on. It continues today."

From foodreference.com

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 26, 2013 23:50

The cavalry used breastplates as cooking pans.It continues today."\

.....surely some bastard could buy 'em a few saucepans ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: February 27, 2013 09:35

Rockman

they scramble out in battlefield just to shred & cook anything...

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: February 27, 2013 09:36

Rockman

they scramble out in battlefield to cook anything...

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: February 27, 2013 10:11

Mathijs
In Holland, horse meat was a cheap alternative to beef, and up to the 70's you could get it in any super market. Horse steak and smoked horse meat is actually very nice, it's a bit more tender than beef. But slowly, as people get richer, horse meat is disapearing from the menu. You won't see it in any restaurant for example.

Mathijs
Do they still sell it on street carts?

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: February 27, 2013 11:56

DoomandGloom
Do they still sell it on street carts?

They sell it down your local supermarket here in Britain. (Not that anyone realised that of course - until now)....

Horsemeat scandal

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1270
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home