Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Rolling Stones 1983-2013
Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: February 23, 2013 22:44

The first 20 years were AWESOME, and I still love to listen to this era everyday. And I love every thread on this site concercing 1962-1982.

But what did happen with The Stones ever since 1983?

I do clearly remember when "Undercover" was released (nov. 1983). In my country everybody was looking forward to this album. In the summer of 1982 we did travel from Jugoslavija to Italy to see the Stones. We go wild, it was the first time since Zagreb 1976 we enjoyed their live-show.

And in nov 1983 we were really expecting something special from The Stones. We were completely bored with the upcoming 80's music, although we really did like some good YU-rock&roll at the time. But Undercover was a big disappointment.

Then came Live Aid 1985. No Rolling Stones? Only Jagger with Bowie doing some stupid Dancing in the Streets? And later on Dylan with a completely drunk Keith and Ronnie? What on earth was happening? Where were The Stones?

In march 1986 Dirty Work was released. The only good thing about that time was the clip of "One Hit To The Body", because Jagger has his long hair just like 1975/1976.

Since then, more then a quarter of a century went by. I did like Keith's solo-albums very much and also Mick's "Wandering Spirit", which was released 20 years ago. And Paradiso Amsterdam in 1995 was also great.

Ofcourse I don't blame them. I mean, how long can you play rock&roll with some boys together? Mick and also Brian did have serious doubts about this around 1964/65 (Jagger: "maybe we can continue for another 2 years, but probably then it will be over").

Anyway, I am disappointed about the last 30 years, although I don't blame any of The Stones for it. Well, just some thoughts I want to share with you all.

Now, I am going to listen to The Chess Recordings 1964, followed by the US-tour of "1792", Europe 73, watch some video's from the 70's, and who knows, maybe I will end this night with Rotterdam 1982, which was incredible.

Long Live The Rolling Stones!

Re: The Rolling Stones 1983-2013
Posted by: McQwerty ()
Date: February 24, 2013 00:45

Oh, my friend... if you don't know, Stones are still (and will be next 1000 years!) the world greatest rock 'n' roll band... and they are even better now then they was in the 60s smoking smiley

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: February 24, 2013 00:48

keeffriffhard
Anyway, I am disappointed about the last 30 years, although I don't blame any of The Stones for it.

The butler did it, maybe, then?

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: February 24, 2013 00:52

Good live shows have been few and far between but I thought Voodoo Lounge and Bigger Bang rocked pretty hard.

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: February 24, 2013 01:07

keeffriffhard
The first 20 years were AWESOME, and I still love to listen to this era everyday. And I love every thread on this site concercing 1962-1982.

But what did happen with The Stones ever since 1983?

I do clearly remember when "Undercover" was released (nov. 1983). In my country everybody was looking forward to this album. In the summer of 1982 we did travel from Jugoslavija to Italy to see the Stones. We go wild, it was the first time since Zagreb 1976 we enjoyed their live-show.

And in nov 1983 we were really expecting something special from The Stones. We were completely bored with the upcoming 80's music, although we really did like some good YU-rock&roll at the time. But Undercover was a big disappointment.

Then came Live Aid 1985. No Rolling Stones? Only Jagger with Bowie doing some stupid Dancing in the Streets? And later on Dylan with a completely drunk Keith and Ronnie? What on earth was happening? Where were The Stones?

In march 1986 Dirty Work was released. The only good thing about that time was the clip of "One Hit To The Body", because Jagger has his long hair just like 1975/1976.

Since then, more then a quarter of a century went by. I did like Keith's solo-albums very much and also Mick's "Wandering Spirit", which was released 20 years ago. And Paradiso Amsterdam in 1995 was also great.

Ofcourse I don't blame them. I mean, how long can you play rock&roll with some boys together? Mick and also Brian did have serious doubts about this around 1964/65 (Jagger: "maybe we can continue for another 2 years, but probably then it will be over").

Anyway, I am disappointed about the last 30 years, although I don't blame any of The Stones for it. Well, just some thoughts I want to share with you all.

Now, I am going to listen to The Chess Recordings 1964, followed by the US-tour of "1792", Europe 73, watch some video's from the 70's, and who knows, maybe I will end this night with Rotterdam 1982, which was incredible.

Long Live The Rolling Stones!

Great post.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 24, 2013 02:24

I loved and still love Undercover.

It's after that that something happened. Or in this case didn't.

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: February 24, 2013 03:32

Great post I agree with most of it.

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: February 26, 2013 23:14

So, if even 'the fans' don't care, why should The Rolling Stones care?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 26, 2013 23:27

What happened?
The two leaders started hating each other beyond repair but still continued because we provided the demand and financially bent over for them for 30 years.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 26, 2013 23:28

What, the only redeeming quality of DW was Mick's hair ?! You're joking right?

Your memory fails you, when DW came out everyone was pumped up, RS had run several articles on the sessions ("never sounded so lethal"), Keith talked it up in the NME (trashing UC in the process), etc...then it died down when the tour got cancelled but everyone was pumped up, same in '89, '94, '97 and yes after that it was pretty much "over" but we still had some good moments, the best ones actually as far as I'm concerned, Trabendo, Bondy, O2.

Anyway it's been a good 30 Stones years!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: February 28, 2013 21:52

shadooby
Good live shows have been few and far between but I thought Voodoo Lounge and Bigger Bang rocked pretty hard.

The No Security Tour was quite good.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 28, 2013 21:59

jamesfdouglas
What happened?
The two leaders started hating each other beyond repair but still continued because we provided the demand and financially bent over for them for 30 years.

That must really get under Mick's skin. No wonder he hates us.

Posted by: ifyacantrockme ()
Date: March 1, 2013 05:11

I certainly enjoyed a lot of the moments over the past 30 yrs but it had to have been a drain, especially on Jagger to carry the band most of the time. i mean, the guitar players have been undependable to say the least. they either are drunk, or on some narcotic giving a very lazy, unprofessional, uninspired performance. they can't get the chords right, play a lead, or even show up on a timely way w/o the crowd waiting 2 hrs in between acts (although they've gotten increasingly better since the 80s on this one). I place the blame squarely on Keith, although Woody has had his moments as well as to why this band hasn't done more. Keith has refused to grow or try different things, he remained faithful to his junk instead of cleaning up his act and thus now his best friend and collaborator can't be bothered to write a song with him. It's sad but time marches on and now we see the past few tours it really is Charlie and Mick leading the way, Woody and then Keith coming up from behind.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 3, 2013 00:00

Good points and we have to Chuck to thank too, I doubt Mick would go on the road without him...that really struck me at the Trabendo where their interaction was a lot more obvious than in arenas or stadiums. Since that day I have a lot more respect for Chuck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1904
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home